Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (24265 Views)

Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Be Using Chains And Earrings? / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Xymc1(m): 9:14pm On Oct 17, 2012
I have just been really haunted recently by this and i'm sure many other people have this problem. So i decided to ask here to possibly get an answer... If you can help,please do!
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by OmoAlata(f): 9:30pm On Oct 17, 2012
Xymc...:
Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Circular Music

Do you mean secular? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by denzel2009: 9:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
Xymc...:
I have just been really haunted recently by this and i'm sure many other people have this problem. So i decided to ask here to possibly get an answer... If you can help,please do!

Try triangular or square music. Those are better.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by OmoAlata(f): 9:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
denzel2009:

Try triangular or square music. Those are better.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 17, 2012
Omo Alata:

Do you mean secular? grin
lol..mrs..omo alata grin
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by OmoAlata(f): 10:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
acidosis™:

lol..mrs..omo alata grin

LOL. The OP has corrected it now wink
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Xymc1(m): 10:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
Sorry bout that,i meant secular. But what are your views or opinions?

1 Like

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Zodiac61(m): 10:56pm On Oct 17, 2012
In my experience, it is sinful for a christian to do anything not approved by his pastor.
Whilst the rest of us just get on with life and enjoy the little pleasures, the christian spends all his life wondering whether everything he does, or even thinks, is sinful.
Poster, get a life. If secular music bothers you, do not listen to it.
grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Xymc1(m): 6:45am On Oct 18, 2012
angry
Zodiac61: In my experience, it is sinful for a christian to do anything not approved by his pastor.
Whilst the rest of us just get on with life and enjoy the little pleasures, the christian spends all his life wondering whether everything he does, or even thinks, is sinful.
grin grin grin grin
angry
Zodiac61: In my experience, it is sinful for a christian to do anything not approved by his pastor.
grin grin grin grin
angry
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by OmoAlata(f): 10:22am On Oct 18, 2012
Xymc...:
Sorry bout that,i meant secular. But what are your views or opinions?

Don't know for sure. My iPod only has praise & worship music on but that's not to say we don't listen to secular music in our house (I have children wink) I think it depends on the lyrics. I mean, singing along to "I'm gonna marry the night" by Lady Gaga. What's that all about

Or her Judas song
In the most biblical sense,
I am beyond repentance
Fame hooker, prostitute wench,
vomits her mind
But in the cultural sense
I just speak in future tense
Judas kiss me if offense,
don't wear your condom next time

shocked shocked shocked shocked

So, sing along, dance along, but be wary of the lyrics. If you're uncomfortable with it, stop immediately grin
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Afam4eva(m): 10:30am On Oct 18, 2012
Jesu Christi cry

@topic
I think as a Christian, you shouldn't be listening to songs that don't glorify God. But the thing is, if we're to follow the scripture religiously then there are so many thing that we should not be doing apart from listening to secular music and they include; Having unbelievers as friends, Wearing clothes that are wordly etc
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Orikinla(m): 10:34am On Oct 18, 2012
[size=48pt]NO![/size]
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2012
[size=38pt]YES!![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 18, 2012
if it doesnt promote indecency...like terry G's music that doesnt promote such.

u can also listen to st janet's song,its good for christian too...it has heavenly inspiration.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2012
Yomieluv: if it doesnt promote indecency...like terry G's music that doesnt promote such.

u can also listen to st janet's song,its good for christian too...it has heavenly inspiration.

GBAM! excellent advisement!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by MadCow1: 10:38am On Oct 18, 2012
Christians can listen to every song except... Get Hi by Tonto Dike..

5 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Francheezy(m): 10:40am On Oct 18, 2012
plz iz it gud 4 us 2 listen 2 T0nt0 Decays music ?

1 Like

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 18, 2012
Truth is, a heavenly concious christian wouldn't listen to a secular song..

Imagine your pastor singing songs of lucifer (Jay z & the likes) .. imagine your bishop dancing with 2face, shouting "nothing dey happen"..

and.. not all "gospel songs" is good for a heavenly concious christian.. nowadays, "gospel" singers act and dress like niggas, gangsters, touts and hooligans.. very soon, gospel singers would fix ciggarette in their mouth on stage.. very soon..

someone said "people want to sin ..and do it in Jesus name"..
I say again, people will start kissing in church in Jesus name, people would start drinking and smoking in Jesus name.. every body now wants to Sin in a christian way.. nobody is a sinner.. we all are christian.. but we still admire the unclothedness of lady gaga and beyounce smiley we love it when jay z praise lucifer with hard core raps... haha ... grin smiley oh f o o. lish christians of the 21st century... oh how we love Big Brother Africaaaaa!!! grin we love it when that guy sleeps with that girl in the house... *winks* wow!! fun time... smiley
What a lovely show.........!!
Hehe... how about those sexyy videos... *winks* hehe... Oh hallelujah... in Jesus name on Sabbath.... Holy spirit is doing something in yout life right now!! grin grin you'll ride your new car in 30days time... Hallelujah...!

#Oh I weep for my generation... ##

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:48am On Oct 18, 2012
Mark 7: 15 there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 18, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: Mark 7: 15 there is nothing outside the man which can defile him if it goes into him; but the things which proceed out of the man are what defile the man.
what happens when you see tonto dike's chest on video?? *winks* grin grin..
christians indeed...hahaha

sincerely,
you better nor quote wetin you nor understand before I hit my bible on you..!
*angry*

1 Like

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Dopefiend(m): 10:50am On Oct 18, 2012
Consult with ur 'daddy' or 'mommy' in the church lol. Seriously, If the song bothers u,dnt listen to it cos music sure gat a way of influencing pple
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by damilarelr(m): 10:52am On Oct 18, 2012
@Poster,

In determining whether to listen to any secular music, 3 factors are to be considered: the purpose of the music, the content of the music, and, the style of the music. If you're not convinced in this three areas about a particular music, just stay clear.

Here's what I read on a site concerning the content of a secular music: Philippians 4:8 is an excellent guide for musical lyrics:

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

If we should be thinking about such things, surely those are the things we should invite into our minds through music and lyrics. Can the lyrics in a secular song be true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy? If so, then there is nothing wrong with a Christian listening to a secular song of that nature.

However, much of secular music does not meet the standard of Philippians 4:8. Secular music often promotes immorality and violence while belittling purity and integrity. If a song glorifies what opposes God, a Christian should not listen to it. However, there are many secular songs with no mention of God that still uphold godly values such as honesty, purity, and integrity. If a love song promotes the sanctity of marriage and/or the purity of true love—even if it does not mention God or the Bible—it can still be listened to and enjoyed.

Whatever a person allows to occupy his mind will sooner or later determine his speech and his actions. This is the premise behind Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:2, 5: establishing wholesome thought patterns. Second Corinthians 10:5 says we should “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.” These Scriptures give a clear picture of the kind of music we should not listen to.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by fittty(m): 10:52am On Oct 18, 2012
lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Super1759: 10:55am On Oct 18, 2012
I asked someone this questions days back. The fact is most secular songs are even better than the so-caLled gospel songs this days. Anyone who makes a good sound while bathing or doing house chores will turn round and jump into the studio to sing.
Secular songs depends on the mood.there is time for everything. Give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:56am On Oct 18, 2012
acidosis™:

what happens when you see tonto dike's chest on video?? *winks* grin grin..
christians indeed...hahaha

Similar to what happens when Devout Muslims see a woman with knee-length skirts. They abandon all their spiritual training and go gaga.. it has nothing to do with what you see but how mature, honest and devoted you are to your religion. all those people who say Music makes them kill have been killers all along, they just needed an excuse. so if you listen to secular music (i guess it means non-christian music) and you have hidden non-christian tendencies .. no doubt you will try to hide behind secular music as begin responsible for jerkin off grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by rareman(m): 10:58am On Oct 18, 2012
just like Omo alata said, there are music u should not go near at all. Yes u can listen to songs that are not christian songs but soul lifting. Lyrics is the in thing here. Unfortunately most Nigerian songs don't message they pass across once they get u to shake ur head and ur bum bum they've achieved their aim. There are good musics that are not basically christian music
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Chanchit: 10:59am On Oct 18, 2012
acidosis™:

Imagine your pastor singing songs of lucifer (Jay z & the likes) .. imagine your bishop dancing with 2face, shouting "nothing dey happen"..

and.. not all "gospel songs" is good for a heavenly concious christian.. nowadays, "gospel" singers act and dress like niggas, gangsters, touts and hooligans.. very soon, gospel singers would fix ciggarette in their mouth on stage.. very soon..

I say again, people will start kissing in church in Jesus name, people would start drinking and smoking in Jesus name.. every body now wants to Sin in a christian way.. nobody is a sinner.. we all are christian.. but we still admire the unclothedness of lady gaga and beyounce smiley we love it when jay z praise lucifer with hard core raps... haha ... grin smiley oh f o o. lish christians of the 21st century... oh how we love Big Brother Africaaaaa!!! grin we love it when that guy sleeps with that girl in the house... *winks* wow!! fun time... smiley
Hehe... how about those sexyy videos... *winks* hehe... Oh hallelujah... in Jesus name on Sabbath.... Holy spirit is doing something in yout life right now!! grin grin you'll ride your new car in 30days time... Hallelujah...!

weep on my brother, more grace to your tears.

1 Like

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by bokohalal(m): 10:59am On Oct 18, 2012
Nigerian christians.Taking another person's way of life to another level. Even the importers of this way do not use it anymore. They have indeed seen the light. Any wonder why we are the way we are? This is darkness.
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by yipayipa: 11:02am On Oct 18, 2012
I really agree with you 100%

acidosis™:

Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by Iaz93: 11:05am On Oct 18, 2012
Omo Alata:

Don't know for sure. My iPod only has praise & worship music on but that's not to say we don't listen to secular music in our house (I have children wink) I think it depends on the lyrics. I mean, singing along to "I'm gonna marry the night" by Lady Gaga. What's that all about

Or her Judas song
In the most biblical sense,
I am beyond repentance
Fame hooker, prostitute wench,
vomits her mind
But in the cultural sense
I just speak in future tense
Judas kiss me if offense,
don't wear your condom next time

shocked shocked shocked shocked

So, sing along, dance along, but be wary of the lyrics. If you're uncomfortable with it, stop immediately grin

on point *kisses*
Re: Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? by OmoAlata(f): 11:10am On Oct 18, 2012
Iaz93:

on point *kisses*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bishop David Abioye Preaching In Nasarawa State / "I Have Never Earned Money From My Book Proceeds" - Bishop Oyedepo / Shiloh 2013: Exceeding Grace: Share Your Shiloh Experience Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.