Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,139 members, 7,807,455 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

The Richest Man That Ever Lived Was A Black Man (mansa Musa); Full List Inside - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Richest Man That Ever Lived Was A Black Man (mansa Musa); Full List Inside (1647 Views)

Grave Of D Richest Man In Kuwait. He Owned Oil Wells,Several Hotels & Properties / Life Lesson: The Richest Man In The Society Of Then. (photo) / The Richest Man In Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Richest Man That Ever Lived Was A Black Man (mansa Musa); Full List Inside by Scarpon(m): 12:11am On Oct 19, 2012
King Mansa Musa’s astounding wealth came from his country Mali’s
production of more than half the world’s gold and salt, Celebrity Net
Worth said. A photograph of Mansa Musa on a map of North Africa circa
King Mansa Musa wasn’t just the 1% of the 14th century — he may be
the richest person of all time. As the obscure ruler of West Africa’s Mali
Empire, Musa amassed a jaw-dropping $400 billion during his reign from
1312 to 1337, according to a new inflation-adjusted list by
celebritynetworth.com.
As for Musa’s moolah, his “shocking wealth came from his country’s vast
production of more than half the world’s supply of salt and gold,”
according to the Celebrity Net Worth survey, which converted each
billionaire’s fortunes into 2012 dollars.
Musa was a devout Muslim who spearheaded an extensive building program
of palaces and mosques.
But his money was eventually lost after his death in 1337, when he was
believed to be in his late 50s.
“His heirs were not able to fend off civil war and invading conquerors.
Just two generations later, his world record net worth was gone,”
Celebrity Net Worth said.
Of the list’s top 25, 14 are Americans, including Microsoft founder Bill
Gates, whose inflation-adjusted worth is about $136 billion.
The 25 billionaires and families listed have made some megabucks, with a
combined worth of $4.3 trillion.
Celebrity Net Worth's list
1. Mansa Musa I , (Ruler of Malian Empire, 1280-1331) $400 billion
2. Rothschild family (banking dynasty, 1740- ) $350 billion
3. John D. Rockefeller (industrialist, 1839-1937) $340 billion
4. Andrew Carnegie (industrialist, 1835-1919) $310 billion
5. Tsar Nicholas II of Russia (last Emperor of Russia, 1868-1918) $300
billion
6. Osman Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VII (last ruler of Hyderabad, 1886-1967)
$236 billion
7. William the Conqueror (King of England, 1028-1087) $229.5 billion
8. Moammar Khadafy (former Libyan leader, 1942-2011) $200 billion
9. Henry Ford (Ford Motor Company founder, 1863-1947) $199 billion
10. Cornelius Vanderbilt (industrialist, 1794-1877) $185 billion
11. Alan Rufus (Fighting companion of William the Conqueror, 1040-1093)
$178.65
12. Bill Gates (Founder of Microsoft, 1955- ) $136 billion
13. William de Warenne, 1st Earl of Surrey (Norman
nobleman, ??-1088) $146.13 billion
14. John Jacob Astor (businessman, 1864-1912) $121 billion
15. Richard Fitzalan , 10th Earl of Arundel (English nobleman,
1306-1376) £118.6 billion
16. John of Gaunt (son of Edward III, 1330-1399) £110 billion
17. Stephen Girard (shipping and banking mogul, 1750-1831) $105
billion
18. Alexander Turney Stewart (entrepreneur, 1803-1876) $90 billion
19. Henry, 1st Duke of Lancaster (English noble, 1310-1361) $85.1
billion
20. Friedrich Weyerhaeuser (timber mogul, 1834-1914) $80 billion
21. Jay Gould (railroad tycoon, 1836-1892) $71 billion
22. Carlos Slim (business magnate, 1940- ) $68 billion (TIE)
22. Stephen Van Rensselaer (land owner, 1764- 1839) $68 billion (TIE)
23. Marshall Field (Marshall Field & Company founder, 1834-1906) $66
billion
24. Sam Walton (Walmart founder, 1918-1992) $65 billion
25. Warren Buffett (investor, 1930- ) $64 bill
source=> www.independent.co.uk/news/world/world-history/meet-mansa-musa-i-of-mali--the-richest-human-being-in-all-history-8213453.html

Re: The Richest Man That Ever Lived Was A Black Man (mansa Musa); Full List Inside by Freiburger(m): 11:32am On Oct 19, 2012
So interesting, i never knew this.
Re: The Richest Man That Ever Lived Was A Black Man (mansa Musa); Full List Inside by 19naia(m): 8:27pm On Oct 19, 2012
I never knew how much he had actually been involved with,but i know he was a traveler who loved to be in his camel caravan that would strech for kiliometers across the deserts carrying lots of his wealth in gold and salt,he would arrive at strange places across africa and give away so much gold at the same value as salt and in some places where gold was not known or used,they prefered salt as more value...it was mansa´s great generousity that led greedy men of conquest to fix their eyes on him to plunder his fortune when he passed away......remember that the word "Salary" comes from the word "SAL" which neans "SALT"..."Salary" is from the time when salt was the great traded good of the empires on earth...people would be paid in salt slabs,and no more supriseing than people tradeing in cowry shells found in the dirt....Some people of various places would prefer to be paid in salt rather than gold...The places that produced salt still exist today and trade along the upper ranges of the niger river down to the south...There were many great lakes in sahel africa even bigger than the original lake Chad..They ranged from mali to niger and maybe even into Sudan..Its the dried lake beds that have concentrated minerals such as salt.....I suspect that the great "golden Monarchs" of ghana are related in ancient times to the early gold mining tribes that led to the rise of mansa musa tribe and the asante tribe..they all mine gold using the same technique....

1 Like

Re: The Richest Man That Ever Lived Was A Black Man (mansa Musa); Full List Inside by Scarpon(m): 10:23pm On Oct 19, 2012
19naia: I never knew how much he had actually been involved with,but i know he was a traveler who loved to be in his camel caravan that would strech for kiliometers across the deserts carrying lots of his wealth in gold and salt,he would arrive at strange places across africa and give away so much gold at the same value as salt and in some places where gold was not known or used,they prefered salt as more value...it was mansa´s great generousity that led greedy men of conquest to fix their eyes on him to plunder his fortune when he passed away......remember that the word "Salary" comes from the word "SAL" which neans "SALT"..."Salary" is from the time when salt was the great traded good of the empires on earth...people would be paid in salt slabs,and no more supriseing than people tradeing in cowry shells found in the dirt....Some people of various places would prefer to be paid in salt rather than gold...The places that produced salt still exist today and trade along the upper ranges of the niger river down to the south...There were many great lakes in sahel africa even bigger than the original lake Chad..They ranged from mali to niger and maybe even into Sudan..Its the dried lake beds that have concentrated minerals such as salt.....I suspect that the great "golden Monarchs" of ghana are related in ancient times to the early gold mining tribes that led to the rise of mansa musa tribe and the asante tribe..they all mine gold using the same technique....
thanks for this informations atlest I have lent something here

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Brutally Murdered Over A Girl In Italy (graphic Photo) / African Info You Never Knew... / Ace Actor, Rmd Sues Jumia | E-nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.