Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,884 members, 7,806,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? (2648 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi Spotted In A Fast Food Joint Close To UNIPORT In Rivers. Photos / Vanguard : S-west Is Nigeria’s Kidnap Capital — Report / Is Ogun State Becoming The Kidnap Capital Of The South West? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by TonySpike: 8:44am On Oct 19, 2012
PUNCH Editorial

Nigeria’s rising profile as a haven for kidnappers was the focus of attention at a recent meeting of the African Insurance Organisation in Balaclava, Mauritius. Unsurprisingly, Nigeria was designated, in a statement at the African Reinsurance forum, as the “global capital of kidnapping”. A portion of the damning statement on Nigeria said, “The number of kidnaps-for-ransom in Africa continued to increase. In the first half of 2011, Africa’s proportion of the global total increased from 23 per cent in 2010 to 34 per cent. Nigeria is now the kidnap-for-ransom capital of the world, accounting for a quarter of globally reported cases.” Based on 1999 statistics, the top 10 countries for ransom kidnappings were in the order of occurrence: Columbia, Mexico, Russia, Brazil, Nigeria, Philippines, India, Ecuador, Venezuela and South Africa.

What this means is that – within a short space of time – Nigeria has stolen the limelight from countries such as Russia, Mexico and Colombia, among others, traditionally notorious for kidnapping. It is another addition to the chains of afflictions that have befallen the country, among which are corruption, economic and financial crimes, mass murder, armed robbery, terrorism, lynching and general insecurity. This is unacceptable.

Hitherto relatively unknown in Nigeria, kidnapping first captured people’s consciousness in February 2006, when militants in the Niger Delta started abducting foreign oil workers, ostensibly to draw attention to the criminal neglect and privations suffered by the oil producing communities of the region. Most of the early victims were usually set free after a few days in captivity. But, with time, when the potential for quick money with relatively lower risk became apparent, kidnapping soon blossomed into a “lucrative business.”

With that realisation also came a change in approach, the targets shifting from foreigners to practically anybody – the rich, the poor, government officials, private individuals, professionals, octogenarians and toddlers; no discrimination. In cases where the main targets have been missed, their parents, wives, children or other relations have been taken. They are picked up and only breathe the air of freedom once more after ransoms have changed hands.

Most recent victims include commissioners, a vice-chancellor and the wife of the Osun State House of Assembly Speaker. Many cases remain unreported. Three years ago, a retired Army General, Peter Ademokhai, who was kidnapped in his wife’s presence and had to part with an undisclosed sum of money to regain his freedom, lamented, “I felt as if I was in Somalia because Somalia is a failed state.” That same year, a then 75-year-old Elechi Amadi, a renowned novelist, was picked up by kidnappers, who also did not spare Nollywood actor, Pete Edochie. The list is endless.

There is no gainsaying that the rising wave of kidnapping has compounded the security situation in Nigeria. It is difficult to state the extent to which it has impacted on business as would-be investors are now wary of visiting the country. In some places, foreign workers have abandoned construction sites after their engineers have been captured. The tragedy of the Nigerian situation is that, with the infiltration of terrorist organisations, kidnap cases have become even knottier for the security agents to unravel.

For more information, read http://www.punchng.com/editorial/nigeria-as-kidnap-capital/
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by TonySpike: 8:47am On Oct 19, 2012
I read this editorial this morning and I felt so ashamed. It will be very disastrous if Nigeria eventually 'beats' the traditional world kidnap capitals like Colombia and Somalia. Unfortunately, this report seem to suggest that we have actually reached the threshold, getting ready to be crowned as the world kidnap capital...
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by TonySpike: 8:50am On Oct 19, 2012
Tony Spike: PUNCH Editorial

Most recent victims include commissioners, a vice-chancellor and the wife of the Osun State House of Assembly Speaker. Many cases remain unreported. Three years ago, a retired Army General, Peter Ademokhai, who was kidnapped in his wife’s presence and had to part with an undisclosed sum of money to regain his freedom, lamented, “I felt as if I was in Somalia because Somalia is a failed state.” That same year, a then 75-year-old Elechi Amadi, a renowned novelist, was picked up by kidnappers, who also did not spare Nollywood actor, Pete Edochie. The list is endless.

...and to add to this list, a Rivers State Commissioner and three college officials https://www.nairaland.com/1075851/rivers-commissioner-power-kidnapped-three
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by Callotti: 8:50am On Oct 19, 2012
Giant kidnapper of Africa!
Mu cheh cheh cheh cheh cheh. . . . cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by MadCow1: 9:12am On Oct 19, 2012
This is the second time this useless article is hitting the frontpage..

https://www.nairaland.com/1072395/nigeria-now-kidnap-ransom-capital
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:28am On Oct 19, 2012
We dont need this type of record pls.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by jamace(m): 9:30am On Oct 19, 2012
It is heading there because our leaders have been overstepping bounds and the latest is this:

https://www.nairaland.com/1078870/senators-reps-abuja-land-grab
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by slimyem: 10:06am On Oct 19, 2012
See as them write the topic in a sweet way..."a fast-rising kidnap capital"..
What a thing to be known for!!!
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by free2ryhme: 10:08am On Oct 19, 2012
maybe nigeria will b known for adultnapping next year .... keep up the bad work undecided
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by gator666: 11:26am On Oct 19, 2012
Mad Cow: This is the second time this useless article is hitting the frontpage..

https://www.nairaland.com/1072395/nigeria-now-kidnap-ransom-capital

The truth hurts you or what?
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 19, 2012
Yes, Nigeria is a fast-rising kidnap country, labelled as "high-risk."

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by MegaMan2020: 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2012
Igbos are ruining Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 19, 2012
MegaMan2020: Igbos are ruining Nigeria.

Try applying a little above-average intelligence, rather than turn this into a tribal issue.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by MegaMan2020: 12:12pm On Oct 19, 2012
Siena:

Try applying a little above-average intelligence, rather than turn this into a tribal issue.

#JusticeforAluu4

Am I wrong? I bet the day Biafra is announced, the Biafra nation will become the kidnapping capital of the world. You can't ignore the fact that kidnappers tend to be Igbo.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 19, 2012
MegaMan2020:

Am I wrong? I bet the day Biafra is announced, the Biafra nation will become the kidnapping capital of the world. You can't ignore the fact that kidnappers tend to be Igbo.

Kidnappers in Nigeria tend to be N-I-G-E-R-I-A-N-S. The rest of the world could care less what tribe they are, all they see is Nigerians in Nigeria with BROWN faces.

#JusticeforAluu4
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by solomonkane(m): 12:42pm On Oct 19, 2012
MegaMan2020: Igbos are ruining Nigeria.

The highlighted quote above, ladies and gentlemen is a classical example of why we must come together and fight the twin evils of free education and free browsing, it produces mentally challenged people like this.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by KINGwax(m): 1:43pm On Oct 19, 2012
Igbos and those mallams are the ones giving nigeria a bad name. Those fools are useless
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by AjCityOne: 2:10pm On Oct 19, 2012
solomonkane:

The highlighted quote above, ladies and gentlemen is a classical example of why we must come together and fight the twin evils of free education and free browsing, it produces mentally challenged people like this.

Its obvious that free education and free browsing hasn't been the one kidnaping women,men and children, Igbos are. Let's face the truth and hope that the Igbo leaders can call their pikin to order.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by Litmus: 2:16pm On Oct 19, 2012
In this Information Age it is ironic that perception is the new fact. Nigeria can be anything you want, just say the word and it becomes fact. For all our brilliance others have learned this trick before us, so they come here often to dehumanize you by stating every negative thing they can think because they understand that it becomes fact. So Nigerians most learn to talk up their country while still fighting to improve things.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by geeez: 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2012
solomonkane:

How is free education evil? You're the deranged person here now
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by reporter1: 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2012
MegaMan2020:

Not just kidnappers, but drug dealers, armed robbers, adulterators, and etc. You name the crime, Ibos are the perps.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by ubong560(m): 9:36pm On Oct 19, 2012
Nigeria n Nigerians shld even tank God it's ordinary 'KID'-'NAP'. If somthng isn't done 2 salvage d erra of youth restiveness (especially unemployment), den u and i would b fools if we beliv it would nt degenerate 2 'SISTERNAP','BROTHERNAP','PAPANAP','MAMMANAP' den eventually 'ADULT-'NAP'. A time wil com wher d poor wil cm4tably sleep wit his 2 eyes closed and d rich cant even av 1 eye closed let alone d 2. Take it or leave it, Poverty is d primary cause!
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by pssword: 12:00am On Oct 20, 2012
@Poster:

Is Nigeria a capital?
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by londoner: 4:27am On Oct 20, 2012
When it comes to particular crimes we have to say the truth.

There are some regions that engage in some more frequently than other, although all can be fingered as participating too.

The problem of kidnapping, first of all came from the Niger delta, with the oil company employees being kidnapped and vessels being hijacked. Then, it became the order of the day in SOME states in the South East.........it seems to
happen less often now though.

When we talk of Prostitution, we know the parts that are known for it, although women and men from all regions (apart from North) have people involved in one way or another.

When it comes to armed robbery and fraud (including abroad) you can find people all regions apart from the north.

When you talk of government corruption all regions are guilty, but some stolen larger amounts because of their position and access to embezzle.

When you talk of terrorism and attacking communities with bombs, then the North has it, with a lesser input from South Westerners, I have heard once or Muslim from that regions being involved in masterminding BH activities as a kingpin.

At the end of the day, what does that tell us?

We need to take a good hard look at our society and make drastic changes. People need to be encouraged to offer information about criminals to the police (assuming they themselves are not being bribed).

No region has totally clean hands....no matter the tribalist rantings and blame game, no region or tribe can say their hands are clean, it is a Nigerian problem.
Re: Nigeria As A Fast-Rising Kidnap Capital? by beespak7(m): 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2012
LOL Naija no de carry last at all make una carry go joo nothing do una . Make una continue to to de excell in all evil thinz like kidnapping 419, armed robbery, ritual killings, terrorism una 2 much 9JA i hail ohh.

(1) (Reply)

Conoil Petrol Station Explodes opposite NNPC Towers in Abuja / What You Never Knew About Kano Visitors Empire / Shekau Mocks #BRINGBACKOURGIRLS Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.