Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant (4224 Views)

What I Saw In Akwa Ibom Made Me Built N2.5bn Ekiti Gov House-fayemi / APC Tasks Jonathan On Enugu’s Coal, 2nd Niger Bridge, Others / APC Raps FG Over Abandonment Of Enugu Coal Deposit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:35am On Oct 20, 2012
A foreign firm, Green Pheonic Energy International has disclosed plans to establish a coal power plant in Enugu at the cost of 1.5 billion US dollars.

Speaking during his courtesy call on the acting governor of Enugu State, Mr Sunday Onyebuchi, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company, Mr. Brain Ransom, said the proposed plant would be capable of generating about 200 mega watts of electricity.

According to him, the company will also be involved in water treatment and preservation of food crops, adding that the duration of their operations in Enugu would be up to 30 years.

He stated that before the commencement of their project, they would visit communities in the state to identify their problems and areas of needs.

The Chief Executive further added that the company had visited Lagos and other places in Nigeria before coming to Enugu, stressing that he took delight in the work ethics of the youths in Lagos and Enugu states.

In his reaction, Acting Governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sunday Onyebuchi disclosed that necessary facilities for investment have been provided in Enugu State to lure investors.

Onyebuchi explained that right from the time coal was discovered and United African Company (UAC) established, Enugu had played a major role in the socio-economic development of the country as the capital of Eastern Region, East Central State and today capital of Enugu State.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=enugu&source=newssearch&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQqQIoADAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleadership.ng%2Fnga%2Farticles%2F37753%2F2012%2F10%2F17%2Ffirm_invest_15bn_enugu_coal_plant.html&ei=_PeBUNWxN6q40QWhoYCgCA&usg=AFQjCNGUmTDCmLxHIbZLIh3KmZTdqpJzpg

Attracting foreign investors is a direct fall-out of focused and purposeful governance such as we see in Enugu state; and with the FULL utilisation of Enugu int'l airport, we should expect even more of these investors in the state in the near future.

5 Likes

Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 20, 2012
Laughable
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by londoner: 4:11am On Oct 20, 2012
Prof Corruption: Laughable

Please explain, I don't see what is laughable about it.

Thanks
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Areaboy2(m): 9:50am On Oct 20, 2012
londoner:

Please explain, I don't see what is laughable about it.

Thanks

Well, it is laughable in some sense. Green Pheonic Energy uses coal to generate electricity ?? It has humour and sarcasm written all over it undecided

Seems like another publicity stunt. I feel only the Chinese are interested in coal and until I see a Chinese company showing interest, I think it is fair to laugh
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Soundmind(m): 9:57am On Oct 20, 2012
Is like this company just indicated interest, nothing have been invested,
no design and plan on ground yet. so what are we to celebrate on this.
Recall more than 3 companies have visited Amechi Idodo in Enugu State
and have indicated their interest in establishing a cement manufacturing
plant there, for about 5 years now, nothing have happened.
Some other companies visited Awgu in Enugu state with the intention of
establishing a fruit juice company there, nothing have happened.
This one have come again, others have come earlier even.
Pls, i will not rejoice until i see the company on ground and working
with more than a snail speed.
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by COMPAQ(m): 10:00am On Oct 20, 2012
Sounds like a fake company sef.
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Itoroetti(m): 10:01am On Oct 20, 2012
A company that wish to invest such amount of money in a state doesnt have a standard website.who is decieving who?
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Standing5(m): 10:09am On Oct 20, 2012
Good development!!
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
A foreign firm, Green Pheonic Energy International has disclosed plans to establish a coal power plant in Enugu at the cost of 1.5 billion US dollars.

Speaking during his courtesy call on the acting governor of Enugu State, Mr Sunday Onyebuchi, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company, Mr. Brain Ransom, said the proposed plant would be capable of generating about 200 mega watts of electricity.

According to him, the company will also be involved in water treatment and preservation of food crops, adding that the duration of their operations in Enugu would be up to 30 years.

He stated that before the commencement of their project, they would visit communities in the state to identify their problems and areas of needs.

The Chief Executive further added that the company had visited Lagos and other places in Nigeria before coming to Enugu, stressing that he took delight in the work ethics of the youths in Lagos and Enugu states.

In his reaction, Acting Governor of Enugu State, Mr. Sunday Onyebuchi disclosed that necessary facilities for investment have been provided in Enugu State to lure investors.

Onyebuchi explained that right from the time coal was discovered and United African Company (UAC) established, Enugu had played a major role in the socio-economic development of the country as the capital of Eastern Region, East Central State and today capital of Enugu State.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=enugu&source=newssearch&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CDcQqQIoADAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleadership.ng%2Fnga%2Farticles%2F37753%2F2012%2F10%2F17%2Ffirm_invest_15bn_enugu_coal_plant.html&ei=_PeBUNWxN6q40QWhoYCgCA&usg=AFQjCNGUmTDCmLxHIbZLIh3KmZTdqpJzpg

Attracting foreign investors is a direct fall-out of focused and purposeful governance such as we see in Enugu state; and with the FULL utilisation of Enugu int'l airport, we should expect even more of these investors in the state in the near future.

i never knew Enugu state has a acting governor...
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:08am On Oct 20, 2012
ohnyore:
i never knew Enugu state has a acting governor...

^^^Normally when the Governor goes on holiday or is temporarily indisposed, and his deputy takes over, he's now refered to as 'acting Governor'.....i think it's a fall-out of the Yar' Adua illness brouhaha when there was doubt as to exact extent of Jonathans' capacity and powers as Vice president.
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 20, 2012
Ebe-ano
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by OmoTier1(m): 11:42am On Oct 20, 2012
Shouldn't an investment of this magnitude be channelled through the Federal Government? I mean, you would expect that this information would be coming from the Ministry of Power and Energy at both the state and Federal level to give the news any credibility.

Me I no believe this one... phony deal
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by salam001(m): 12:47pm On Oct 20, 2012
Good One,maybe now they would leave our oyel for Us
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Xris74: 3:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
Area_boy:

Well, it is laughable in some sense. Green Pheonic Energy uses coal to generate electricity ?? It has humour and sarcasm written all over it undecided

Seems like another publicity stunt. I feel only the Chinese are interested in coal and until I see a Chinese company showing interest, I think it is fair to laugh
Ignoramus (ignorant cow)

Did you watch the second Obama-Romney debate? What was said about coal in that debate? If USA can still be involved in using coal to generate power who the fccukk is Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 20, 2012
salam001: Good One,maybe now they would leave our oyel for Us
who is holding your oil?
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by erico2k2(m): 6:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
Omo_Tier1: Shouldn't an investment of this magnitude be channelled through the Federal Government? I mean, you would expect that this information would be coming from the Ministry of Power and Energy at both the state and Federal level to give the news any credibility.

Me I no believe this one... phony deal
its called resource control
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by erico2k2(m): 6:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
Xris74:
Ignoramus (ignorant cow)

Did you watch the second Obama-Romney debate? What was said about coal in that debate? If USA can still be involved in using coal to generate power who the fccukk is Nigeria?
easy brov.coal is being fazed out as it has negetive i.pact tp climate change.the Uk are closing the last existing coal plant in less than 2yrs
Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by denitro(m): 10:22pm On Oct 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

Pathetic
Coal powered Plants in South Africa
Kendal Power Station 4,116 MW
Lethabo Power Station 3,708 MW
Majuba Power Station 4,110 MW
Matimba Power Station 3,990 MW
Matla Power Station 3,600 MW
etc

200 MW is a joke

1 Like

Re: Firm To Invest $1.5bn In Enugu Coal Plant by poke(m): 10:35am On Oct 23, 2012
na wa oh

(1) (Reply)

Again Governor Nyesom Wike Has Vindicated Buhari Calls Fayose A Lair / IPOB Leader, Citizen Nnamdi Kanu Goes To Court Today / IF BIAFRA REFERENDUM IS ACCEPT TO HOLD TODAY I'LL GO TO COURT & STOP IT!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.