Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:48 PM

Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) (6593 Views)

Mikel Obi's Daughter In Piano Lesson With Her Grandma (photo) / Little Boy Refused To Stand Before An African Player At A Fooball Match In Italy / Who Was Nigeria's Best Player At The AWC (Namibia 2014)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Lanreclassic(m): 4:21am On Oct 20, 2012
Playing basketball well requires a certain level of skill, hand-eye coordination, and athleticism. People usually reach their peak performance level pretty young, but an elderly Chinese woman is proving that age is just a number when it comes to the love of the sport.

Zhu Shumei, who stands just five feet tall, is known as the "Basketball Grandma" by a beloved group of young people in China who, until recently, just knew her as a frequent visitor to Zhejiang Normal University in China. Shumei has been seen running 400-meter laps, climbing poles to stay fit, and hooping it up on the court. One day, Son Huating, a student at the university, noticed Shumei playing basketball and wanted to get to know her. Huating discovered Shumei's story of becoming a single mother after her husband divorced her when she was 54. Shumei was left to take care of her developmentally disabled daughter all on her own.

Time magazine recently did a story on Shumei, detailing her life's struggles and how she got into basketball as a way to cope. She used to borrow students' basketballs while they were not using them, and then she saved money to buy her own. After 20 years of playing, her favorite possession is a genuine leather basketball that she paid $80 for. Time's article even describes how precisely Shumei cares for her basketball, washing the ball daily before she takes it to the court.

Shumei lost her job at a library, forcing her to live on an allowance which equals only one-third of China's low minimum wage. Shumei's story inspired Huating and other students to solicit donations for the woman on China's version of Twitter, Sina Weibo. So far, the amount of money raised is enough for Shumei to make a down payment to join China's insurance pension program, which will pay her living expenses.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/basketball-grandma-becomes-internet-star-200308512.html

Can’t wait to read your own success story!..….you can
watch the video HERE

and tell us what you think…

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Lanreclassic(m): 5:06am On Oct 20, 2012
Mama doing her thing

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Lanreclassic(m): 5:09am On Oct 20, 2012
More pix

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Lanreclassic(m): 5:22am On Oct 20, 2012
More pix

1 Like

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Lanreclassic(m): 5:40am On Oct 20, 2012
Check this out too

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Dreystar(f): 6:49am On Oct 20, 2012
It's never too late to follow your dreams grin
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nebulae: 8:17am On Oct 20, 2012
Wow!
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by SlyIg(f): 8:39am On Oct 20, 2012
Stories like this make me ease tension frm Naija tragedies. So wish it happened here in Naija. But Naija own version would have been,'76 years old woman burnt to death for alleged witch and possess spirit'. God help 9ja!

3 Likes

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by micklplus(m): 9:22am On Oct 20, 2012
SlyIg: Stories like this make me ease tension frm Naija tragedies. So wish it happened here in Naija. But Naija own version would have been,'76 years old woman burnt to death for alleged witch and possess spirit'. God help 9ja!

Very correct.
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by sylve11: 9:27am On Oct 20, 2012
Wow! cool
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by 2sexy(m): 9:31am On Oct 20, 2012
Nairaland no go kill person oooooo grin grin grin
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 20, 2012
Dreystar: It's never too late to follow your dreams grin
Never too late...
Sometimes your passion could push you to doing things that look so unusual, weird...but, the satisfaction it brings is priceless. Follow Ur Dream...
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 20, 2012
Before my grandma died at 88yrs she was still playing football so kini big deal? undecided
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by dridowu: 9:43am On Oct 20, 2012
Not suprise cos because my GRANDMA do all dat b4 she answer God Spiritual Call. LOVE U GRANDMA
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Burger01(m): 10:12am On Oct 20, 2012
Oh c'mon, my grandma could do better than that.
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by ghettodreamz(m): 10:35am On Oct 20, 2012
Chinese are very athletic and energetic people. Kudos to her anyway!
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 20, 2012
i would like to see her dunk. heck grandmama larry johnson could dunk the ball and she was 130 years old
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 10:56am On Oct 20, 2012
wow... just wow!!! I just watched the video, and all I can say is WOW!!!!
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by chucky234(m): 11:04am On Oct 20, 2012
berem: Before my grandma died at 88yrs she was still playing football so kini big deal? undecided
Liar,your grandma wey dey waka with walking stick,haba Berem sofre dey lie na.
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 20, 2012
;DOmo mehn...no be small thing oh...inspiring
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 20, 2012
OlowoTee:
Never too late...
Sometimes your passion could push you to doing things that look so unusual, weird...but, the satisfaction it brings is priceless. Follow Ur Dream...

''I HAVE A DREAM''
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by overdrive(m): 12:48pm On Oct 20, 2012
No b small thing
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by overdrive(m): 12:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
Seconded
OlowoTee:
Never too late...
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by dasparrow: 2:39pm On Oct 20, 2012
@Post

This is very inspiring. God bless you grandma Shumei.
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by dejiswaggs(m): 2:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
Post So Inspiring!
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by zumbigbo(m): 3:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
Chinese people na power people. They cycle on bike, play table tennis outdoors, groups of people will do yoga in the morning. I mentioned to someone in Naija about doing Yoga to keep fit, she said her MOG said it was demonic because Hindu's revere animals. Na naija where pot belly dey rule well well, even simple 1 mile trek, your Auntie or Uncle will look at you like you dey craze.

A friend of mine went back to the village from London to spend 6 months re-building his family home. He cycled regularly around the village. Four weeks in, his uncle spoke with him and asked him to stop cycling around as people think it is embarrassing that he has come all the way from the UK just to push bike. They wanted him to burn up the atmosphere in a fully loaded 4 x 4. Wahala dey. The next day, he spent an hour walking around the village talking to himself loudly, shadow-boxing and laughing loudly to himself. He got peace in that village from that time until he left. Naija na fools paradise.

2 Likes

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
Lanreclassic: Mama doing her thing

I don't trust Chinese folks. How sure are we that she ain't wearing a 76 years old woman's skin? Just saying
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by ektbear: 4:51pm On Oct 20, 2012
Man this broadcaster chick (Melissa Knowles) is bad.

got damn.
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by jesuspikin(m): 5:55pm On Oct 20, 2012
dat woman don chop witch and we dey clap 4 ram

1 Like

Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by Johnny(m): 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
Tor,una dey praise am now,if she fall die now,na only im children go dey cry.....Which kain yeye ball wey she dey play at her age??She dey even jump!
Re: Chinese Grandma Is A Sensational Basketball Player At 76 Years(pix) by blackmale(m): 5:36am On Oct 21, 2012
grandma,,, the baller

(1) (Reply)

#Team Double Your Money Challenge!! / DR Congo Vs Zambia : AFCON 2023 (1 - 1) On 17th January 2024 / Banker For Baba-ijebu (premier-lotto) Season 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.