Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? (13307 Views)

The Black Man: Unchained Libido And Its Wake Of Destruction. / This Is Rap Culture,mode 9 Featuring Double Six / Proper Greeting For Black American Meeting Boyfriend's Nigerian Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by phreakabit(m): 12:16am On Oct 26, 2012
cap28: when hip hop was hip hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmiOXu8EPaU&feature=fvwrel

Bollocks! Hip hop is still Hip hop! You'd be surprised to know that some of these new-age rappers are way better than the pioneers. Yes the game is messed up right now, but it all depends on what you choose to listen to.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by cap28: 12:35am On Oct 26, 2012
phreakabit:

Bollocks! Hip hop is still Hip hop! You'd be surprised to know that some of these new-age rappers are way better than the pioneers. Yes the game is messed up right now, but it all depends on what you choose to listen to.

sorry mate, hip hop's glory days are well and truly over, when was the last time you heard anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUX4tW5pps
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by phreakabit(m): 12:41am On Oct 26, 2012
cap28:

sorry mate, hip hop's glory days are well and truly over, when was the last time you heard anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUX4tW5pps

Don't make me laugh. . . Mobb deep were good, but the present crop of artists I listen to make them look below average. Used to be heavily into gangster rap, now it just makes me chuckle at how they are/were "mostly" actors.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by ezotik: 12:59am On Oct 26, 2012
phreakabit:

Don't make me laugh. . . Mobb deep were good, but the present crop of artists I listen to make them look below average. Used to be heavily into gangster rap, now it just makes me chuckle at how they are/were "mostly" actors.

bros, do u realize prodigy was just 19 when he made that song? i do agree that they were mostly 'actors' but lyricism was fvcking awesome. how many 19 years old of today can spit lyrics like that?
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:03am On Oct 26, 2012
phreakabit:

Like who?

The old school had Rakim, Kool G Rap, LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, The D.O.C., Slick Rick, KRS-One, A Tribe Called Quest, Paris, The Pharcyde, Poor Righteous Teachers, Ice Cube, Wu-Tang, EPMD, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Souls of Mischief, Craig G, Black Sheep, Naughty by Nature, Digable Planets, etc. . . .so do you think that there's this much talent around right now? Name names.

3 Likes

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by chic2pimp(m): 1:32am On Oct 26, 2012
CAP28 AND HIS USUAL PILE OF ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.......SMH
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by phreakabit(m): 1:48am On Oct 26, 2012
I would say Kendrick Lamar, but then you'd think I am hopping on the bandwagon even though I have been following dude since he was known as K.dot. Anyway lets get straight to the list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMtXrCn64Ic

BLU (of Blu & Exile)

Jay Electronica

XV (Geek stuff mostly)

Kendrick Lamar

Clear Soul Forces

Skyzoo

To name a few. . . .
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by stupor(m): 2:44am On Oct 26, 2012
@ OP and your allies, your exposition sorrry to say is totally numb and pointless.

It shows how bored you are talking about Rap and all that,if you can't Rap or do music,why don't you try sports.

Can't you talk about the Anorld Shwarzenegar et all' blood and war films and its negative effects on us.though,for me I watch them and love them well.

People like you are the ones saying the world is coming to an end,because you are getting closer to your menopause and old age.

Music in totality has been a positive tool,that's why its relevance politically cannot be overemphasized.

There's plearure in rap.
There's cash money in rap.
There's authority and command in rap.
There's freedom in rap.
There's massive global followership in rap.
There's soulfulness and spirituality in rap.
There's Godliness in rap.
There's reality and pure entertainment in rap.

That's why Jay Z could buy a whole basketball club and pay salaries to 'wayne'

You should have found something else to post and talk about since you are sounding very old and bored instead of blaming rap music 'for the state of your nation'.

Why not talk about lewd R n B Videos and obscene pictures of blues and music where ladies portray their naked bodies why someone sings and pour honey on their naked bodies in a bathtub.

Why not talk about gun running die hard 'hollywood films where Actors split open skulls with their swords and AK 47,'spartacus'.

it's not always nice to talk or argue about something you lack knowledge of,especially when you have nothing to say.

Rick Ross,Lil wayne,Jay Z will pay and employ you !

That's more reason political chiefs,Heads of govt and Mayors call them from time to time.

Please don't hate,just talk about something else,I know how it hurts when you are a lil bored,but try do Sports or play game.

Rap music is elite and much older than you and your peers.

Much love to late Guru,christopher Wallace,Amaru Shakur,Nate Dog and other Black music Artistes.

God will continue to give rappers and lyricists more insight and inspiration to entertain and enlighten us. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by stupor(m): 3:11am On Oct 26, 2012
Jay Z and Bey with Kwara State fmr Governor,the Sarakis.

Not on tour or Black Self Destruct Mission,but on an Elite and honourable State visit to Nigeria,Kwara state.

This is the real BLUEPRINT go buy yourself a copy that Jay Z album and get your spirit lifted !

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by birdman(m): 6:17am On Oct 26, 2012
cold: This looks like a topic for Cap28.

Hip hop has been hijacked by white corporate america - FACT!

Well folks,can't say i didn't give you fair warning.

lol. very freddy kreuger like if you ask me
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by disloman(m): 7:01am On Oct 26, 2012
Rap game.hip pop 100 d craziest line u ever heard.RAP GAME IS LIFE Homies n wil die 4 it.realtalk frm d mu'fucking nu york
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by decepticos(m): 8:13am On Oct 26, 2012
How come making a living off words become destructive, especially for blacks (i no know if na only the ebonics speaking ones, do d black, brits, europeans, africans and 'caribeans' apply)? On the other hand are there not other consumers of rap and are all rappers 'black by skin color'. Yes rappers may use violent word and paint very socially horrifying pictures, but it just reflects their immediate environ.
Eminem's bonnie and clyde
House of pain's Fed up
Mobb deep's Shook ones
and a host of other. Do others not pass a positive message or positive thought reflection, amongst which are
Mosdef's Mathematics
Slick rick's children's story
Common's Testify
Nas's Daughters
Gangstarr's Moment of truth
Tupac's keep ya head up
Dilated people's Kindness for weakness
Immotal technique's Dance with the devil the list is endless. If chief keef scares you men tupac may as well take you to hell. Its the consumers choice to buy and the label's to distribute and promote. Rap music inspires it you know what to listen for.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 26, 2012
beneezy:

You r so right [size=18pt]bro[/size]!

shocked shocked angry
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 26, 2012
cold:
This looks like a topic for Cap28.

Hip hop has been hijacked by white corporate america - FACT!

Well folks,can't say i didn't give you fair warning.

grin
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by naptu2: 8:21am On Oct 26, 2012
Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice
I say the darker the flesh then the deeper the roots

I give a holler to my sisters on welfare
Tupac cares, if don't nobody else care

And uhh, I know they like to beat ya down a lot
When you come around the block brothas clown a lot
But please don't cry, dry your eyes, never let up
Forgive but don't forget, girl keep your head up

And when he tells you you ain't nuttin don't believe him
And if he can't learn to love you you should leave him
Cause sista you don't need him
And I ain't tryin to gas ya up, I just call em how I see em

You know it makes me unhappy (what's that)
When brothas make babies, and leave a young mother to be a pappy

And since we all came from a woman
Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman
I wonder why we take from our women
Why we rape our women, do we hate our women?
I think it's time to kill for our women
Time to heal our women, be real to our women

And if we don't we'll have a race of babies
That will hate the ladies, that make the babies
And since a man can't make one
He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one

So will the real men get up
I know you're fed up ladies, but keep your head up.

"Keep your heads up" by Tupac Shakur.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by cap28: 10:06am On Oct 26, 2012
phreakabit:

bros there is no way you can compare the old school rappers to the current generation of rappers, the old school rappers were brilliant lyricists, creative and intelligent - which rapper do you know of today that can beat the lyrical dexterity of eminem in "infinite":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtRbEgoTqQs
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by kikuyu1(m): 12:38pm On Oct 26, 2012
cap28: Hip hop has been hijacked by white corporate america - FACT!

when hip hop started out it was about a message to the oppressed black people of america - it was about expressing the discontent that many blacks felt about the white supremacist system that was oppressng them - this is what NWA, Public enemy,NAS , Tupac even notorious BIG were all about but corporate america ie time warner, sony etc decided to hijack the message because they realised the danger of allowing young angry black men trapped in poverty to keep vocalising their oppression using catchy tunes and lyrics that captured the imagination of not only young black but young white americans, corporate america knew that these rappers posed a social problem because they could use their music to overturn the status quo - this is why they bought off the major black rap labels and watered down their music and lyrics so that now all we have are clowns singing about bitches, money and rims.

this is how hip hop used to sound when it was in its prime (late 80s, early 90ssmiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4AtiOjBmg&feature=relmfu

this was when there was a message- sadly white corporate america has hijacked the message of black america and watered it down with the kind of asinine garbage that we are now forced to listen to.

I do believe early hip hop with its conscious themes would have grown into a viable political movement which the blog unfortunately left out. The early 90s rappers Public Enemy,KRS-ONE and Arrested Development were all genuine community activists.
http://karanjazplace..com/2012/09/is-crap-part-of-predictive-program.html
While I agree with the bloggers contention of rap reinforcing the private prison industry and deliberately destroying black America he should have explored true rap's political undertones.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2012
phreakabit:

like? grin
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by phreakabit(m): 6:20pm On Oct 26, 2012
*Kails*:

like? grin

Umm have you been reading the thread posts?
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:36am On Oct 27, 2012
phreakabit: I would say Kendrick Lamar, but then you'd think I am hopping on the bandwagon even though I have been following dude since he was known as K.dot. Anyway lets get straight to the list:

BLU (of Blu & Exile)

Jay Electronica

XV (Geek stuff mostly)

Kendrick Lamar

Clear Soul Forces

Skyzoo

To name a few. . . .

I don't think these 6 names measure up to any group of 6 of the names I listed from the old school era. Even Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica, I would only consider better than a few of the groups/people I mentioned: Souls of Mischief, Black Sheep and Digable Planets. But all the rest are better than any of these new acts. I also forgot to mention Black Moon, Organized Konfusion, Jeru, O.C., Masta Ace, and Redman. It seems clear (to me at least) that the kind of talent and quality that rap had in the late 80s through the 90s doesn't seem to be around today.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Dipwater(m): 2:12am On Oct 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

your opinions is below average.. very low. I used to question 2pacs hype and content until I went deep into his catalogue. I must say 2 pac is a god. Listen to songs like time to die, only God can jugde me, Hail Mary, unborn child, keep your head up, man the list is endless and tell me musicians that can march his content. Its different if you dont listen to lyrics but 2pac is a prophet. AT any mood I am, there is a pac song to provide soundtrack for it.

The truth:ur tupac was st8t up wack ,he was not a ganagster .

I said average cus I don't wanna be rude,

2pac ur god ,laugh wan kill me here .I like 2pac,he is cool anyways.but in term of lyrical content he is wack to the core .there is. no comparing ur 2pac to the likes of biggie ,nas ,rakim

Pls always listen to music not the beat
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by BlackBaron: 3:03am On Oct 27, 2012
Tupac was simply a thug and died like one. Funny he's considered best to most.

Truth is gangster rap is wack. Loads of rappers still out there with positive messages rather than the mandatory bling, hoes and all.

Macklemore, Common, Tabi Boney et al got good stuff.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by MrGlobe(m): 6:25am On Oct 27, 2012
Dipwater:

2pac ur god ,laugh wan kill me here .I like 2pac,he is cool anyways.but in term of lyrical content he is wack to the core .there is. no comparing ur 2pac to the likes of biggie ,nas ,rakim

get of drugs. you dont know music or rap so stfu.

1 Like

Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 27, 2012
BlackBaron: Tupac was simply a thug and died like one. Funny he's considered best to most.

How does one die like a thug?

Dipwater:

i dont think you are talking about Tupac Shakur..not sure who you are talking about but "wack"? A wack Tupac? I have never heard of him. tongue
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

get of drugs. you dont know music or rap so stfu.

CLEARLY!!
That explains his lunacy. grin
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 27, 2012
phreakabit:

Umm have you been reading the thread posts?

Sir....it was sarcasm.
I am not convinced there is one rapper now who can outdo the foundation
without pirating their style.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 27, 2012
cap28: when hip hop was hip hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmiOXu8EPaU&feature=fvwrel

^^ classic right there!!
btw been reading your replies,
cap you know your *ish. cool
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by cap28: 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2012
*Kails*:

^^ classic right there!!
btw been reading your replies,
cap you know your *ish. cool

thanks sis, in my opinion Tupac and Nas are the greatest rappers of all time and will go down in history as the most intelligent lyricists of the rap genre. I absolutely love their message

Testify from Nas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8cDZNGr8nk
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 28, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I don't think these 6 names measure up to any group of 6 of the names I listed from the old school era. Even Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica, I would only consider better than a few of the groups/people I mentioned: Souls of Mischief, Black Sheep and Digable Planets. But all the rest are better than any of these new acts. I also forgot to mention Black Moon, Organized Konfusion, Jeru, O.C., Masta Ace, and Redman. [size=18pt]It seems clear (to me at least) that the kind of talent and quality that rap had in the late 80s through the 90s doesn't seem to be around today.[/size]

PERIOD.
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 28, 2012
cap28:

thanks sis, in my opinion Tupac and Nas are the greatest rappers of all time and will go down in history as the most intelligent lyricists of the rap genre. I absolutely love their message.

I definitely agree with you.
Thanks for the "testify" post. smiley
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by cap28: 9:33am On Oct 29, 2012
*Kails*:

I definitely agree with you.
Thanks for the "testify" post. smiley

no worries sis cool
Re: Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 29, 2012
cap28:

thanks sis, in my opinion Tupac and Nas are the greatest rappers of all time and will go down in history as the most intelligent lyricists of the rap genre. I absolutely love their message

Testify from Nas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8cDZNGr8nk

Heh...I don't think you'll be as enthusiastic about Nas when you consider that he defended Gwenyth Paltrow for using the N word (as in N*gga though, but still).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? / Top Yoruba Gospels / Have You Ever Dated A Black-american?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.