Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest (4794 Views)

Camel Spotted At Allen Junction Ikeja: Sallah Meat? / Check Out This Sallah Ram.. .... Picture. / The Price Of A Bottle Of Heineken Is Too High In Nigeria. Protest Here !!. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by supereagle(m): 6:55am On Oct 21, 2012
Boko Haram: Price of Sallah Rams Double Despite Low-key Celebration Plans in the North
Indications from the ram market have revealed that this year’s Sallah celebrations may not be as bubbling as in previous years. The simple reason being that the price of ram has gone up by about 100 per cent in most Northern states. These states, as we all know, are the major sources of the commodity to the Southern part of the country.

As will have been guessed, the menace of Boko Haram has been blamed for the hike in prices of the Sallah rams. A random survey carried out by Saturday Tribune in ram markets on Friday, however, showed a crash in price only in Borno State, where most of the residents complained of the likelihood of their having a low-key celebration owing to insecurity.

However, in Kano and Kwara states Muslims were found to be complaining over what they considered as the unjustified price hike of ram by dealers, saying they had thought the price would be more affordable almost a week to Sallah. The smallest ram in the two states went for N40,000, depending on the location of the market, as against N15,000 during the same period last year.

A big ram sold for as much as N210,000, with some dealers blaming the exhorbitant price to insecurity, which has not allowed businessmen to bring rams from neighbouring countries like the Republic of Chad. Kano state topped the list of states with such astronomical increase in price with the price differential at road side ram market relatively insignificant. The smallest one sold for N30,000. A similar size attracted N35, 000 at the popular Bichi market, while a medium one went for N50, 000, just like at Wudil market and the Kofruwa market, as against N25 , 000 and N30, 000 last year.

Most people, who were interviewed, noted that Borno and Yobe states, which were the major routes traders used to bring rams, had become impassable due to the activities of gunmen.

Source: Tribune
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by mu2sa2: 7:34am On Oct 21, 2012
Every thing is made easy in Islam, so no muslim need complain about the price of ram or other animals used for ileya. You sacrifice an animal only if you can afford one. Simple. Islam is a Knowledge-based religion, a religion of scholarship - so you must learn the rules about any act of ibadah. Ileya sacrifice is only for those who can afford it.Even if a ram sells for only 1000 naira there will still be people who can not afford it. Those who Allah has provided with the means should give a share of the meat to those who are not able to do the ileya and indeed their neighbours irrespective of faith. You do not place a burden on yourself when Allah has made things easy for you -that's the teaching of our dear prophet. May Allah guide all to the straight path, the sunnah of the prophet.

9 Likes

Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by bolaino(m): 7:35am On Oct 21, 2012
Well, the price of garri is gradually decreasing.
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by engrfcuksmtin(m): 7:36am On Oct 21, 2012
We don hear

2 Likes

Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by chemashie(m): 7:38am On Oct 21, 2012
We make do with chicken supported with stock fish. Shoki l‘obe oge meaning, at all at all na winch!

1 Like

Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by femmy2010(m): 7:39am On Oct 21, 2012
O ga oo, Ram for N210k.
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 21, 2012
na chickenn sure pass oooo,afterall meat na meat,or like 5 people fit contribute buy one ram.
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by blendz4real(m): 7:51am On Oct 21, 2012
Yomieluv: na chickenn sure pass oooo,afterall meat na meat,or like 5 people fit contribute buy one ram.

Correct reasonin!
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by Remii(m): 8:05am On Oct 21, 2012
mu2sa2: Every thing is made easy in Islam, so no muslim need complain about the price of ram or other animals used for ileya. You sacrifice an animal only if you can afford one. Simple. Islam is a Knowledge-based religion, a religion of scholarship - so you must learn the rules about any act of ibadah. Ileya sacrifice is only for those who can afford it.Even if a ram sells for only 1000 naira there will still be people who can not afford it. Those who Allah has provided with the means should give a share of the meat to those who are not able to do the ileya and indeed their neighbours irrespective of faith. Do not place a burden on yourself when Allah has made things easy for you -that's the beauty of Islam. May Allah guide all to the straight path, the sunnah of the prophet.

Baraka lau fih, my brother, laikira bi deen, No compulsion in religion. Sacrifice only for the sake of Allah as much as you are endowed. May Allah accept our effort, Amin.
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by CLIQBOY(m): 8:07am On Oct 21, 2012
Yomieluv: na chickenn sure pass oooo,afterall meat na meat,or like 5 people fit contribute buy one ram
a family for a ram only.friends cant contribute to buy a ram..and you cant also borrow money to buy..ram buying na 4 ppl wey don chop bellefull
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by Revolva(m): 8:09am On Oct 21, 2012
Sallah ram person no go hear word abi na everytime person dey chop ram meat - what about the price of Garri? Which is d staple food of nigeria
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by gbadexy(m): 8:14am On Oct 21, 2012
They always complain every year but as usual people will still buy.
I know that on that day, there would be carnival in lagos as usual.
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by Gwekzy: 8:29am On Oct 21, 2012
Who needs Ram wen We Gat Goat
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by greall1: 8:37am On Oct 21, 2012
what is dis? is better stop sucking garri mu mu..

engrfcuksmtin: We don hear
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by Dawdy(m): 9:07am On Oct 21, 2012
we need people like aregbesola in nigeria, He sells rams to the people of osun state for cheap price.
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by Walexz02(m): 9:16am On Oct 21, 2012
^
Eh ehn? Lyk hw much?.......
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by flexya: 9:54am On Oct 21, 2012
I don't know how authentic this story is. Yes, the price of ram as gone up bt not 2 the extent being cited as I bought 3 yesterday in Ibadan for N20k, 25k and 27k respectively. These r for my mum, dad and wife. If I can get this prices (of what I would describe as average sized rams) in Ibadan, then surely, it must be cheaper in the North since most dealer in ibadan source them from the North/Niger republic. There r rams for every budget and like a poster said, its not a MUST 2 kill a ram at eid. U kill if u can afford it. I came across rams as low as N15k and the biggest (huge) was N75k last. I guess it all depends on ur bargainin skills. The one I bought at N20k started off at N55K wit the seller sayin N40k last. Still paid N20k wit tenacity!

Final tip, buy ur ram on ileya dy. Its always cheaper. If u can't kill it that dy, u can still do so the next dy. It even frees u 2 feast wit someone that dy and they can feast wit u the dy after!

1 Like

Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by gbogboti: 9:57am On Oct 21, 2012
There's no compulsion in Islam yet u kill people for not following Islam...confused and volatile religion. U hardly find peace where therels Islam-a-bad
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by flexya: 9:59am On Oct 21, 2012
CLIQBOY: a family for a ram only.friends cant contribute to buy a ram..and you cant also borrow money to buy..ram buying na 4 ppl wey don chop bellefull

In Islam, yes u can team up wit ppl 2 buy. Infact in mecca, pilgrims contribute towards the cost of a ram or camel, either of which is slaughtered and most ppl never even get 2 see or eat part of their ram!

U r right on not borrowin 2 buy nor constituting urself into a nuisance in someones house just 2 be able 2 get a "free ram"
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:01am On Oct 21, 2012
flexya: I don't know how authentic this story is. Yes, the price of ram as gone up bt not 2 the extent being cited as I bought 3 yesterday in Ibadan for N20k, 25k and 27k respectively. If I can get this prices (of what I would describe as average sized rams) in Ibadan, then surely, it must be cheaper in the North since most dealer in ibadan source them from the North/Niger republic. There r rams for every budget and like a poster said, its not a MUST 2 kill a ram at eid. U kill if u can afford it. I came across rams as low as N15k and the biggest (huge) was N75k last. I guess it all depends on ur bargainin skills. The one I bought at N20k started off at N55K wit the seller sayin N40k last. Still paid N20k wit tenacity!

I doubt the story too because you can still get Ram here in Benue for N25k upwards..
Re: Price Of Sallah Rams Double Due To Boko Haram Unrest by kpencheruwe: 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
Most of the rams on sale in the north came from niger rep. the price is determine by the economy of Niger, last year was bad for the niger hence the fall in price of ram. This year so far has been good for indigenes of nig
er hence the astronomical increase in price of rams. You can still get a good ram for 26k at bodinga, illela,achida, dange markets all in illela. i came across lot of guys(i mean southerners who came down to buy rams).some of which they wil sell at 35k.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Lactose Free Milk And Milk Products? / Get Your Own Business Website For Your Food/catering Business / Gas Cooker Oven Without Timer And Temperature Control

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.