Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate (41834 Views)

EXPLOSIVE!!! Secret 1914 Amalgamation Document Finally EXPOSED (PHOTOS) / Nigeria’s 1914 Amalgamation Has Expired, Says Ijaw Congress / NL Monthly Political Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:01am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

We've gone through this before, didn't we?
You have nothing new. No territory that was not a protectorate was amalgamated, rather territories were acquired till the finally boundaries were drawn up in 1900.
It was in 1900 that the 3 protectorates were born (Lagos was already a protectorate then). Officially, Yorubaland was not Nigeria.

[size=16pt]After that, talk of amalgamation of the 2 Nigerias began not before 1900.[/size]

Obiagu,

Are you interested in the gistory of Nigeria or the history of the colonies and protectorates? I am up all night to discuss it in itsdepth. Let me know which timeline you want.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 7:01am On Nov 02, 2012
It's obvious you have not understood simple things. In colonial era, you don't amalgamated none protectorates! The British kept expanding by acquiring territories till a final boundary is drawn up leaving no land "independent" of British control.

Lagos colony and Yoruland were not amalgamated rather Yorubaland was acquired by the British, then was added to Lagos colony. There was no amalgamation in Yorubaland.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by aljharem(m): 7:03am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1, I think you are a bit biased here. I really thank God for giving the british the wisdom to join Lagos (Ondo, delta, edo were not part of lagos) to the southern nation. It has given the ethnic minorities freedom from tribalism of the Igbos and made them self independent. This explain the reason why Ijaws hate Igbos so much as to seize their property in port harcourt aka Rivers state which is not igbo town but due to propaganda expansionism became one and later gotten back.

I mean you would agree with me that is not for that reason, Edos, Ondos, delta etc would by now be speaking Igbo, surpressed like what Nnamdi and his cohorts did to Eyo ita and ijaws. In fact the minorities were[b] blackmailed[/b] by Nnamdi back then to vote for Nnamdi as the governor of the eastern region. It was because Nnamdi lost to the west that he ran back to the east to remove eyo ita. In fact NCNC ( National Council of NIGERIA AND CAMEROONs) was divided thanks to Nnamdi and (so to go ethnic here) Igbo tribalism. Cameroonians had to leave and form their own country but the edos, ijaws, ibibios and co had no where to go and Nnamdi and the top Igbo men capitalised on that.

In reality Igboland itself is not larger than THOSE 5 SE states but Anioma people (bini origin) have been lied to over the years to the extent that some are now confused whether Anioma is an ethnic group or part of Igbo. In fact Anioma is part of the Edoid group and have nothing in common with Igbos. These are facts and any historian of culture and history should verify.

Given those facts stated above, I think it was wise for the amalgamation of Lagos so there is no singular majority as of the case of baifra.

I hope this makes sense.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by aljharem(m): 7:05am On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsQED: We have gone through this before. What I tried to get you to understand, and what you still don't seem to understand, is that the Niger Coast Protectorate was amalgamated with some other territories to form the protectorate of Southern Nigeria in 1900. I don't understand why this is such a difficult thing to understand. I provided you with one source before which rightly described it as an amalgamation, which it was, but you insist on claiming that these territories were "acquired" as if they were ever part of the Niger Coast Protectorate. They were not. That's the point.

I really hope he understands this bolded point
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:05am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1: It's obvious you have not understood simple things. In colonial era, you don't amalgamated none protectorates! The British kept expanding by acquiring territories till a final boundary is drawn up leaving no land "independent" of British control.

Lagos colony and Yoruland was not amalgamated rather Yorubaland was acquired by the British, then was added to Lagos colony. There was no amalgamation in Yorubaland.

No....you dont get it!

Amalgamation was a business interest, an economic outline of corporate ambition on native lands.

Colony was a political take over.

Let me know which timeline you want discussed.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 7:05am On Nov 02, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Obiagu,

Are you interested in the gistory of Nigeria or the history of the colonies and protectorates? I am up all night to discuss it in itsdepth. Let me know which timeline you want.

If you're not filled with crap, what do you have?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by aljharem(m): 7:08am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1: It's obvious you have not understood simple things. In colonial era, you don't amalgamated none protectorates! The British kept expanding by acquiring territories till a final boundary is drawn up leaving no land "independent" of British control.

Lagos colony and Yoruland was not amalgamated rather Yorubaland was acquired by the British, then was added to Lagos colony. There was no amalgamation in Yorubaland.

No actually you amalgamate more protectorate or should I say territories as the case of Cameroon. The southern cameroon after seceding from the eastern region and borno protectorates where added to cameroon in later years so what is your point. In fact the north and southern protectorates were added together.

How is those examples different ?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 7:09am On Nov 02, 2012
Lagos or Yorubaland is not Nigeria!
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:14am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1: Lagos or Yorubaland is not Nigeria!

If by Nigeria you mean a British corporate land, yes you are correct
The British had to fight the Yorubas to get colony right on the coast.

How did they acquire your protectorate?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by aljharem(m): 7:16am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1: Lagos or Yorubaland is not Nigeria!

You are going round in circles. What is the bases of your argument. Is it that Lagos was amalgamated with Nigeria or amalgamated with southern Nigeria.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:30am On Nov 02, 2012
Ah Obiagu,

...make sharp sharp, i no get time for you to dey go do research in google to answeer simple question.

How was your protectorate acquired my friend? angry
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by PhysicsQED(m): 7:32am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

You sound too dumb. I asked you then to provide a link that said territories in Southern Nigeria were amalgamated but you provided none, yet you keep talking crap trying to "define" amalgamation.

1. Where did you ask me previously to "provide a link" which said that the territories in Southern Nigeria were amalgamated? The thread is here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1029770/yorubas-strangers-nigeria/1

2. I provided a link anyway which said the creation of the Southern Nigeria Protectorate was the result of an amalgamation:

https://www.nairaland.com/1029770/yorubas-strangers-nigeria/2#11962767

After which, you said there was nothing more to argue about.

3. "The British government withdrew the charter from the Royal Niger Company and brought the Niger Coast Protectorate and all the company's territories as far as Idah together and amalgamated them into the new protectorate of Southern Nigeria. With the amalgamation, majority of the Igbo officially came under British colonial rule." - Gloria Chuku, Igbo Women and Economic Transformation in Southeastern Nigeria, 1900-1960, p. 85

A few parts of Igboland were already added to the NCP before the 1900 amalgamation (such as Aboh), just as Benin and some other places in Southern Nigeria were, but a lot were not. That's the point. I don't know why you seem to have particular trouble with using the word "amalgamation" to describe what happened in 1900.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 7:39am On Nov 02, 2012
alj harem:

You are going round in circles. What is the bases of your argument. Is it that Lagos was amalgamated with Nigeria or amalgamated with southern Nigeria.

You are not knowledgeable enough but I will give you a brief amalgamation history of Nigeria.

During British quest to put all territories in present day Nigeria under British control, Lagos colony expanded (not amalgamated) to include all Yoruba territory except Ilorin and became Colony and Protectorate of Lagos, the first Protectorate completely under British colonial office. Next was Niger coast Protectorate where Southern part of Royal Niger (i.e. a part of Ijaw land) was added (not amalgamated) to the protectorate and Niger Coast was renamed Protectorate of Southern Nigeria. Northern part of Royal Niger (not a protectorate) finally became a protectorate named Protectorate of Northern Nigeria.

This was achieved in 1900 and all Protectorates had a government and were pseudo-countries just like Gold coast or Ghana. After that, talk of amalgamating Northern and Southern Nigeria began and some in the colonial office suggested amalgamating Lagos too since it was a neighbouring British Protectorate.

Three amalgamation sequences suggested were North and South first, then Lagos or Lagos and North first, then South. Finally they settled with Lagos and South first, then North.

In British Colonial records, Nigeria underwent 3 amalgamations, one in 1906 and one in 1914 but some dubious people have tried to lie and deny the 1906 amalgamation to the extent that they reduced the size of Lagos that was amalgamated to Southern Nigeria to present day Lagos state all in the effort to make Yorubas seem Nigeria they are not.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2012
I will sit here and wait for you even if it takes 4hrs for you to dig up answer to this question.

You want to talk about who is Nigerian and who is not.......let's start at the point of British arrival on the coast and their exploration hinterland. Let's start to identify the kingdoms and monarchs they signed treaties with.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 7:51am On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsQED:

1. Where did you ask me previously to "provide a link" which said that the territories in Southern Nigeria were amalgamated? The thread is here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1029770/yorubas-strangers-nigeria/1

2. I provided a link anyway which said the creation of the Southern Nigeria Protectorate was the result of an amalgamation:

https://www.nairaland.com/1029770/yorubas-strangers-nigeria/2#11962767

After which, you said there was nothing more to argue about.

3. "The British government withdrew the charter from the Royal Niger Company and brought the Niger Coast Protectorate and all the company's territories as far as Idah together and amalgamated them into the new protectorate of Southern Nigeria. With the amalgamation, majority of the Igbo officially came under British colonial rule." - Gloria Chuku, Igbo Women and Economic Transformation in Southeastern Nigeria, 1900-1960, p. 85

A few parts of Igboland were already added to the NCP before the 1900 amalgamation (such as Aboh), just as Benin and some other places in Southern Nigeria were, but a lot were not. That's the point. I don't know why you seem to have particular trouble with using the word "amalgamation" to describe what happened in 1900.

Go and read Lugard's monumental Amalgamation Report and Extraordinary Government Gazette and stop quoting silly things.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:52am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu,

'found any google material yet? Still waiting on you. sad
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2012
^^^

Help yourself

Link 1

Link 2
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 7:58am On Nov 02, 2012
None of what you shared in link answers the question i posed to you. You must answer this question and defend your claim that Yoruba has no legitimacy in Nigeria.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by PhysicsQED(m): 8:06am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu, the issue here seems to be the extent of the Niger Coast Protectorate vs. the extent of the protectorate of Southern Nigeria. I seem unable so far to convince you that the Niger Coast Protectorate was originally rather limited in extent before the 1900 amalgamation so here is yet another source:

'Of the coast-line of Nigeria, about one-half only was within the Royal Niger Company's jurisdiction. The remaining half — at the chief ports of which treaties had been made by Consul Hewitt in 1884 for the Imperial Government — was administered by Imperial authorities, first as the "Oil Rivers Protectorate," and after May 1893 as the "Niger Coast Protectorate." ' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

'The sovereign rights of the Niger Company were transferred to the British Crown on 1st January 1900, and the whole territory, including the coast protectorate, became the protectorate of Nigeria, divided into a northern and southern government, each of which is administered by a high commissioner appointed by the Colonial Office.' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

'Since its transfer to the British Crown Nigeria has been divided for administrative purposes into the two governments of northern and southern Nigeria, the dividing line running east and west in about 7° 10' N., crossing the Niger a little above Idda. Southern Nigeria thus includes an area many times larger than the old Niger Coast Protectorate.' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 8:06am On Nov 02, 2012
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 8:12am On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsQED: Obiagu, the issue here seems to be the extent of the Niger Coast Protectorate vs. the extent of Southern Nigeria. I seem unable so far to convince you that the Niger Coast Protectorate was originally rather limited in extent before the 1900 amalgamation so here is yet another source:

'Of the coast-line of Nigeria, about one-half only was within the Royal Niger Company's jurisdiction. The remaining half—at the chief ports of which treaties had been made by Consul Hewitt in 1884 for the Imperial Government—was administered by Imperial authorities, first as the "Oil Rivers Protectorate," and after May 1893 as the "Niger Coast Protectorate." ' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

'[size=16pt]The sovereign rights of the Niger Company were transferred to the British Crown on 1st January 1900[/size], and the whole territory, including the coast protectorate, became the protectorate of Nigeria, divided into a northern and southern government, each of which is administered by a high commissioner appointed by the Colonial Office.' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

'[size=16pt]Since its transfer to the British Crown[/size] Nigeria has been divided for administrative purposes into the two governments of northern and southern Nigeria, the dividing line running east and west in about 7° 10' N., crossing the Niger a little above Idda. Southern Nigeria thus includes an area many times larger than the old Niger Coast Protectorate.' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

You still have not gotten it. No territory that was not under the British Colonial office was amalgamated. None British government territories were acquired and added to already existing Protectorates like Yoruba land to Lagos Colony and Royal Niger to Niger Coast Protectorate or an entirely new protectorate was formed like Protectorate of Northern Nigeria.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by PhysicsQED(m): 8:22am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

You still have not gotten it. No territory that was not under the British Colonial office was amalgamated. None British territories were acquired and added to an already existing Protectorate like Yoruba land to Lagos Colony and Royal Niger to Niger Coast Protectorate or an entirely new protectorate was formed like Protectorate of Northern Nigeria.

Please explain what you're saying a bit more clearly. I don't understand the "None British territories were acquired" part especially.

Are you agreeing with me that the Niger Coast Protectorate was limited in extent before 1900, before becoming much larger? If you agree about that with me, then why do you disagree with the use of the word "amalgamated" to describe the process by which it became much larger and was renamed in 1900?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 8:22am On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsQED: Obiagu, the issue here seems to be the extent of the Niger Coast Protectorate vs. the extent of the protectorate of Southern Nigeria. I seem unable so far to convince you that the Niger Coast Protectorate was originally rather limited in extent before the 1900 amalgamation so here is yet another source:

'Of the coast-line of Nigeria, about one-half only was within the Royal Niger Company's jurisdiction. The remaining half — at the chief ports of which treaties had been made by Consul Hewitt in 1884 for the Imperial Government — was administered by Imperial authorities, first as the "Oil Rivers Protectorate," and after May 1893 as the "Niger Coast Protectorate." ' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

'The sovereign rights of the Niger Company were transferred to the British Crown on 1st January 1900, and the whole territory, including the coast protectorate, became the protectorate of Nigeria, divided into a northern and southern government, each of which is administered by a high commissioner appointed by the Colonial Office.' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

'Since its transfer to the British Crown Nigeria has been divided for administrative purposes into the two governments of northern and southern Nigeria, the dividing line running east and west in about 7° 10' N., crossing the Niger a little above Idda. Southern Nigeria thus includes an area many times larger than the old Niger Coast Protectorate.' - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 10th edition, 1902

Physics,

You saved him tonight. I was laying a treacherous trap for him.

Im not sure the cowboy has yet to make connections with "protectorate" and treaties with the coastal kings.

As is usual, he is lost in the mirage of a "virtual" state status bestowed on Alaigbo, courtesy of the amalgamation and a newly named geolocation called Nigeria. Igboman flaunting to define who is Nigerian and who is not.

Obiagu, dont open this can bwoy...it will unveil your irrelevance in the foundation of this nation.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by PhysicsQED(m): 8:28am On Nov 02, 2012
"Meanwhile, the lucrative Niger Coast Protectorate had been amalgamated with other southern territories under the name of the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria in 1900." - p. 812, Historical Dictionary of the British Empire, Volume 2

Obiagu, what's your problem with the word "amalgamation" being in the same sentence with "1900"? Isn't that what it was?
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 8:35am On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Please explain what you're saying a bit more clearly. I don't understand the "None British territories were acquired" part especially.

Are you agreeing with me that the Niger Coast Protectorate was limited in extent before 1900, before becoming much larger? If you agree about that with me, then why do you disagree with the use of the word "amalgamated" to describe the process by which it became much larger and was renamed in 1900?

None British "government" or none crown land were acquired not amalgamated. Niger Coast Protectorate final boarder line was drawn in 1900 and no amalgamation with other protectorates had taken place.
Same with Lagos, Yorubaland was added not amalgamated to Lagos and final border line was known in 1900 too. Same year a brand new protectorate, northern nigeria, was formed as well.

This gave rise to 3 independent territories just like Goldcoast protectorate, Sierra Leone Protectorate, Kenya Protectorate etc.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 8:44am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

None British "government" or none crown land were acquired not amalgamated. Niger Coast Protectorate final boarder line was drawn in 1900 and no amalgamation with other protectorates had taken place.
Same with Lagos, Yorubaland was added not amalgamated to Lagos and final border line was known in 1900 too. Same year a brand new protectorate, northern nigeria, was formed as well.

This gave rise to 3 independent territories just like Goldcoast protectorate, Sierra Leone Protectorate, Kenya Protectorate etc.

.....you are looping back to that analogy of Tobey again.

Acquired, amalgamated, protectorate, ....big deal! The whole land was fvkd up and thats the bottom line.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by PhysicsQED(m): 8:48am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Okay, so can you direct me to reliable sources (preferably from back then) which describe the "acquisition" of that huge swath of territory for the Niger Coast Protectorate specifically? I was under the impression that the rights and functions of the RNC were obtained by the British government for a compensation of £850,000, and then their territory was merged ('amalgamated') with the NCP, and then the entire territory was renamed the protectorate of Southern Nigeria.

I don't know about "independent." From some of what I read in the book Colonial Office and Nigeria, 1898–1914, I got the impression that all of the key players involved in bringing about the amalgamations and in governing the protectorates were all working together.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 9:00am On Nov 02, 2012
^^^

If you like, you can call British acquisition of Opobo amalgamation, acquisition of Yorubaland amalgamation, after all the term "to amalgamate" means "to merge".
You can even talk of amalgamation of Bakassi with Cameroun or amalgamation of your 2 plots of land. You're simply not being honest.

In British records, when 2 independent protectorates are merged they are referred to as amalgamation. We can remain here defining the meaning of "is" and that will lead us to no where.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu, I am not trying to be dishonest here and I don't think I am being dishonest. Maybe from your perspective it looks that way, but that is not my intention.

I explained to you that the Niger Coast Protectorate was rather limited in extent, something which it doesn't seem you were aware of before (although maybe you were) and also explained that the Royal Niger Company surrendered its rights and charter to "the Crown" in exchange for compensation in 1899, instead of their territory merely being automatically "acquired" by the Niger Coast Protectorate. The British Government then decided to merge the two (NCP and RNC territory) and rename that area. I also gave at least 2 sources which referred to the merger as an amalgamation.

Here is another British source which describes the merger as an amalgamation:

"The transfer took place on the 1st of January 1900, from which date the company, which dropped the name of "royal," became a purely trading corporation. The southern portion of the territories was amalgamated with the Niger Coast Protectorate, the whole district taking the name of the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, while the northern portion, extending from a line drawn slightly above 7° N to the frontier of the French possessions on the north and including the confluence of the Niger and the Benue at Lokoja, was proclaimed a protectorate under the name of Northern Nigeria." - The Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 19, 1911.

If it wasn't an amalgamation, maybe the editors of the Historical Dictionary of the British Empire should contact you to get approval of the words they decide to use when describing what happened back then. Maybe they don't have a good grasp of their own language.

1 Like

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Katsumoto: 1:31pm On Nov 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

I'm not interested in Kats opinion because I'm not interested in Omogui.

You are not interested in Kats position because its kills your argument dead in a manner akin to using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

I wasn't aware that Nowa Omoigui has shared the same exact position which I shared above.

Stating that you won't address Kats opinion because you are not interested in Omoigui is a COWARDLY copout. You are well aware that you do not have anything in your arsenal to defeat that argument save for the disingenuous use of terms amalgamated/acquired/added.

If you are bold and man enough, please take up the challenge.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Katsumoto: 1:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsQED: "Meanwhile, the lucrative Niger Coast Protectorate had been amalgamated with other southern territories under the name of the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria in 1900." - p. 812, Historical Dictionary of the British Empire, Volume 2

Obiagu, what's your problem with the word "amalgamation" being in the same sentence with "1900"? Isn't that what it was?

You do have a lot of patience and you took the time to explain the salient points. However, Obiagu has a problem with comprehension and that problem is further compounded by bigotry and colo-mentality.

He is using ‘acquired’ like some natives sold land to the British. What seems to be flying above his head is the fact that the British Crown was merging territory within the geographical boundaries of Nigeria and the differences between the terms used was contingent upon whether the crown was ‘adding’ conquered land, as he put it or amalgamating chartered territory which had been held by British companies. To further expose the blatant stupidity and ignorance of that position, the British were amalgamating, adding, and/or merging native land without the natives being aware of it. As at 1900, the British were still putting down resistance everywhere in Nigeria.

Soon Obiagu will tell us that some in Alaigbo invited the British to go to ‘Nigeria’ and create the protectorate of Southern Nigeria while others in the Lagos Colony were ‘begging’ to be added to the Southern Protectorate.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obiagu1(m): 8:48pm On Nov 02, 2012
PhysicsMHD: Obiagu, I am not trying to be dishonest here and I don't think I am being dishonest. Maybe from your perspective it looks that way, but that is not my intention.

I explained to you that the Niger Coast Protectorate was rather limited in extent, something which it doesn't seem you were aware of before (although maybe you were) and also explained that the Royal Niger Company surrendered its rights and charter to "the Crown" in exchange for compensation in 1899, instead of their territory merely being automatically "acquired" by the Niger Coast Protectorate. The British Government then decided to merge the two (NCP and RNC territory) and rename that area. I also gave at least 2 sources which referred to the merger as an amalgamation.

Here is another British source which describes the merger as an amalgamation:

"The transfer took place on the 1st of January 1900, from which date the company, which dropped the name of "royal," became a purely trading corporation. The southern portion of the territories was amalgamated with the Niger Coast Protectorate, the whole district taking the name of the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, while the northern portion, extending from a line drawn slightly above 7° N to the frontier of the French possessions on the north and including the confluence of the Niger and the Benue at Lokoja, was proclaimed a protectorate under the name of Northern Nigeria." - The Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 19, 1911.

If it wasn't an amalgamation, maybe the editors of the Historical Dictionary of the British Empire should contact you to get approval of the words they decide to use when describing what happened back then. Maybe they don't have a good grasp of their own language.

Good. I have provided the complete map of the 3 amalgamated Protectorates. It is left for you to provide the map with complete boundaries of your so called "amalgamated" territories lets see where every territory belongs. When the crown amalgamate territories, there are maps to show where and where that were amalgamated.

Until then, you so "amalgamations" still remains acquisition.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

It Was A Slip Of Tongue - Tinubu Clarifies Gaffe At Kadinvest 7.0 / Moment Ministerial Nominee, Balarabe Abbas Collapsed During Screening (Video) / Adenuga Pays Beyonce 2 Million Dollars For Daughter Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.