Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

12 Surprising Facts About Cheating - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating (15983 Views)

See The Scary Way His Girlfriend Warned Him About Cheating / See What A Girl Wrote About Cheating / I Joke About Cheating On Him, Now He Is Angry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by nlofficial(m): 9:53am On Oct 22, 2012
By Jenna Birch

Can you spot a husband prone to infidelity? If he's unhappy with his wife, he'll cheat, right? Not necessarily. According to a Rutgers University study, 56% of men who have affairs claim to be happy in their marriages. They're largely satisfied with all they have and aren't looking for a way out, yet they still find themselves in bed with other women-and in hot water with their wives. Here, experts explain this phenomenon and dispel other popular cheating myths.

Related: Check out the 11 signs that he might be having an affair.

Fact #1: Most men are still in love with their wives when they cheat.

Men who cheat haven't fallen out of love; they've become unsatisfied with the current state of it. "Cheating usually occurs in the phase of companionate love, when couples begin to settle down, have kids and solidify the life being built together," says clinical psychologist Andra Brosh, PhD. While they're fulfilled in some areas, like being a provider, the romance may be missing. "We more often think of women complaining about a lack of romance, but men feel it, too," says Dr. Brosh. "They frequently suffer in silence, believing they can't get what they want from their spouses." To avoid this in your marriage, plan nights out together, set aside time for sex and discuss hopes and dreams--not just workdays and your son's last soccer game.

Fact #2: Men usually cheat with women they know.

Cheaters don't generally pick up random women in bars. "My first husband cheated on me with a childhood friend," says Diane* from New York City. "His family was close to her family, so they never lost touch." Intimacy expert Mary Jo Rapini explains, "A lot of women think that all cheating women are floozies-not true. The relationships are usually friendships first." In fact, more than 60% of affairs start at work, according to Focus on the Family. A good idea: Make sure your husband feels more connected to you than to his business partner. "Spouses go to work, take care of their kids and do separate things at night. That has to stop," says Rapini. She suggests always going to bed at the same time and cuddling.

Related: Find out the 10 things your husband's friends are hiding from you.

Fact #3: Men cheat to save their marriages.

"Men love their spouses, but they don't know how to fix their relationship problems, so they go outside their marriages to fill any holes," says licensed marriage and family therapist Susan Mandel, PhD. Men want it all and have the skewed notion that another woman will make the longing for something more disappear. Then, they can live happily ever after with their wife--and their mistress--without confronting the real issues.

Fact #4: Men hate themselves after affairs.

You may think of cheaters as men without morals, but while they may like what they did, they tend to despise themselves after their indiscretions. "If he puts his ego to the side, he'll feel like a piece of garbage," says relationship expert Charles J. Orlando, author of The Problem with Women...Is Men. "After all, he's betraying another human being who he claims to care about, so that takes its toll on every part of his psyche." A cheater can feel as though he's failed as a man.

Fact #5: Cheaters often get friskier with their wives when affairs begin.

Just because a husband's touchy-feely doesn't mean his marriage is on firm footing. "When a man starts cheating, he becomes hyperactive sexually," says Rapini, explaining that his sex drive has been awakened, and his wife is still the one with whom he feels most comfortable sexually. If you notice a sudden change in your husband's sex drive, it should raise a red flag. Be on the lookout for the switch to flip off again. "After the affair is solid, he may begin to pull away," says Rapini.

Related: Discover 10 things men wish women knew about sex.

Fact #6: Women cheat just as much as men, and their affairs are more dangerous.

An Indiana University study shows that men and women cheat at the same rate. But "the reasons the sexes cheat are different," says Orlando. He explains women are more likely to cheat for emotional satisfaction. "Online cheating--without any physical contact--is the most damaging type of infidelity," says Orlando. Becoming emotionally invested in another person means you've likely checked out of your marriage. But if it's just sex, it's less about attachment and more about a hurtful mistake.

Fact #7: A wife often knows her husband's cheating.

How could Tiger Woods's ex, Elin Nordegren, and Arnold Schwarzenegger's ex, Maria Shriver, not have known what their high-profile husbands were up to? They probably did, but couldn't bear to acknowledge it. "At one level, I knew, but my denial was so strong," says Lily* from Toronto, Canada. "The pain, had I accepted it at that time, would have been too horrendous, so I had to process it slowly." According to Dr. Brosh, the jilted celebrities were likely doing the same thing: choosing what they could live with for the sake of their kids or to avoid humiliation and the fallout.

Fact #8: A couple will never work it out when the husband is in the midst of an affair.

They could agree to work on things, but it won't matter. If he's still in the throes of a hot, new romance, nothing a woman does will drag him out of it. "He's got such positivity happening, without all the drama that exists in the established relationship," says Orlando. The marriage will likely fail, unless he decides on his own accord that life isn't better with the other woman. So the key is prevention. Continue to be the woman he first fell for throughout your marriage. "Women often turn from a loving girlfriend into a nagging wife. Men aren't attracted to that." Dole out compliments and surprise him with sex--don't just yell at him about that towel on the bathroom floor, suggests Dr. Mandel.

Fact #9: Affairs can often fix a marriage.

Is infidelity the kiss of death for a couple? Not always. Although a new relationship is exciting, "an affair can rekindle the marriage," says Orlando. "Men realize who they want for the rest of their lives and that the new relationship isn't as perfect as they thought." But think hard before returning to a cheater. "Flings can highlight how little self-control someone has," explains Orlando. Still, if it was truly a one-time slip, it's possible to get back on track.

Related: Learn How To Look Great In Every Photo

Fact #10: Even after rebuilding the marriage, a husband may still miss the affair.

Sadly, he might love his wife and want to salvage the marriage, but he doesn't totally forget about the affair. "He might miss the great things about the other woman-fun, zero responsibilities, sex, the rush or the chase--but oftentimes he misses how he feels about himself when he was with her, which is more damaging if he's trying to return to his marriage," says Orlando. Again, acting as you did when the relationship was new could help.

Fact #11: A cheater knows he's hurting the woman he loves, tearing his family apart and sacrificing his honor.

A man may realize the negative impact on his wife, family and himself, but still continue an affair. How? "It's all in the perception of the cheater," says Orlando. "If he feels unwanted, undervalued and taken for granted, his personal needs of being wanted, valued and appreciated will win out."

Fact #12: The wife's not to blame if her husband cheats on her.

Realize this: If your husband is unfaithful, it's not your fault, no matter what people say. "When a man cheats, he's making a conscious choice to do it," says Dr. Brosh. "The idea of being pushed into the arms of another woman is an expression, not a reality." Orlando echoes this sentiment: "Men don't cheat because of who she is; they cheat because of who they're not," he says. "The 'fault' is that the signs of disconnection have been ignored by both parties."

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/12-surprising-facts-cheating-173300760.html

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Mynd44: 10:38am On Oct 22, 2012
Too long

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 22, 2012
I just read some unbelievable jaw-dropping bullshit on this thread. . .

I think people that write these articles and submit to yahoo should be psychologically evaluated before being allowed to feed the public with such bounteous amounts of pure nonsense!

13 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by jigawatts(m): 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2012
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2012
4th...helluya
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
When I Got to "Affairs can often fix a marriage" it became obvious that this article is a pure joke. If it does, tiger woods will still be with his wife. Op, you are just saying the opposite. Are u here to promote infidelity or what! If affairs do promote marriages, then, polygamy won't be a problem. Those who are experiencing polygamy will know what I'm saying. So, ur post, is worse than a bullllsh*t on a christmasssss. Jeezz

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
Trash! Next
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 22, 2012
Hmmmmm,we don hear,NEXT TOPIC,pls
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by MMM2(m): 12:19pm On Oct 22, 2012
13. crycrycry
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by safarigirl(f): 12:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
Fact #13: Men tend to cheat with women who aren't as smart as their spouses, or are lesser achievers- It is easier to cheat with a dumb woman who will settle for anything, than a smart woman who knows her worth.

Fact #14: Most of the facts by OP, are in fact, myths and fallacies

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by MaxMoney(m): 12:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
Hmmm... Na episode?
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by crackhaus: 12:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies.................. All Lies........ Of the 4.3 billion people on the planet cheating/having affairs, only about 0.34 percent do so because of these so-called facts...... Ok, I made up those figures but I made my point.

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Omen100(m): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2012
[quote author=nl.official][/quote]

please I need it in the reversed wife cheating version.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
Bullshit!
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2012
Bullshit!! Bullshit!! BULLSHIT!!!
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by OgidiOlu3(m): 12:32pm On Oct 22, 2012
Nice facts but not ''surprising''.
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by vascey(m): 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2012
Fa Faa Faaaa!! Gini? Fowwwwwwllll!!!

Repete? Fowwwwwwllll!!!
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
Crap
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 22, 2012
what a pile of NONSENSE!!!!!

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Coldfeet(f): 12:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
I know of a man who said to me help me help my wife! And I did. Today he is still thankful whenever our paths cross, his words are usually "thanks for saving my marriage". Xes was there problem.
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by vislabraye(m): 1:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
There are all sorts of advices on the net. Forget them O.
Recently, I read about a woman who calls herself a hot wife (ie she sleeps around with her husband's consent).
She says it has helped her marriage and her husband gets fulfilled watching another man sc.rewing her.
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by vislabraye(m): 1:06pm On Oct 22, 2012
Coldfeet: I know of a man who said to me help me help my wife! And I did. Today he is still thankful whenever our paths cross, his words are usually "thanks for saving my marriage". Xes was there problem.
How did you help her? I'm curious you know.
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Mynd44: 1:13pm On Oct 22, 2012
Lol@the replies
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Coldfeet(f): 1:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
vislabraye:
How did you help her? I'm curious you know.
lipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealed
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
Well said.....
sexkillz: I just read some unbelievable jaw-dropping bullshit on this thread. . .

I think people that write these articles and submit to yahoo should be psychologically evaluated before being allowed to feed the public with such bounteous amounts of pure nonsense!
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
Just what I wanted to say...
P.U.S.H:
Trash! Next
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
Coldfeet: I know of a man who said to me help me help my wife! And I did. Today he is still thankful whenever our paths cross, his words are usually "thanks for saving my marriage". Xes was there problem.
What exactly do you mean? Did you teach her some lsebo se.x styles? undecided
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
@Op don't try to justify cheating. This long epistle is nothing but crap....
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Areaboy2(m): 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
Number 6 is quite interesting.

I remember a few years ago when i opened a thread asking "man cheating vs woman cheating which is worse?" The majority said "the same" and I insisted women have emotions attached to it more than men do so maybe a cheating woman is worse.

Well well, I may have been right tongue

1 Like

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by xynerise: 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2012
Absurdo!
Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by MrsChima(f): 2:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
LMAO@my marriage working after Chima dips his dick in a biatch's toto. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I don't cheat nor I condone cheating from my partner. Simple as that. If I can restrain myself from defiling the bed so can my partner. No excuse. People make excuses to pacify their bullshit and don't put yourself in situations that will cause temptation.

A coworker found out that his girl was sleeping with his best friend while he was at work. He went home early to surprise his girlfriend only to find out he was surprised!

He caught them in action and they were MAKING A VIDEO! He said he handled the situation and I can only imagine. The sad thing is that he is STILL WITH THE GIRL AND his best friend!

Damn shame!

2 Likes

Re: 12 Surprising Facts About Cheating by Areaboy2(m): 2:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
LMAO@my marriage working after Chima dips his dick in a biatch's toto. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I don't cheat nor I condone cheating from my partner. Simple as that. If I can restrain myself from defiling the bed so can my partner. No excuse. People make excuses to pacify their bullshit and don't put yourself in situations that will cause temptation.

A coworker found out that his girl was sleeping with his best friend while he was at work. He went home early to surprise his girlfriend only to find out he was surprised!

He caught them in action and they were MAKING A VIDEO! He said he handled the situation and I can only imagine. The sad thing is that he is STILL WITH THE GIRL AND his best friend!

Damn shame!

How do you even pronounce that

i cant continue reading until i find a pronunciation for that sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNILAG Female Student Flaunts Bare B00bs In Mouth-Watering Photos / How To Gain Weight Easily / Can You Marry A female Soldier?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.