Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,659 members, 7,801,913 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Pep Guardiola: His Miscalculations And The Warped Legacy He Left Behind! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Pep Guardiola: His Miscalculations And The Warped Legacy He Left Behind! (477 Views)

Pep Guardiola Confirmed As Bayern Munich Manager / Pep Guardiola Makes Arsenal His First Choice In England / Tito Vilanova Replaces Pep Guardiola As Barcelona Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pep Guardiola: His Miscalculations And The Warped Legacy He Left Behind! by tomakint: 2:57pm On Oct 22, 2012
Within four years he amassed some trophies that would make any coach in the business grin with envy; he had won 14 trophies, something that will take some coaches their entire career to achieve. His first assignment with Barcelona puts him in the history book of FOOTBALL; he won six trophies out of available six, perhaps an evergreen record for life! His victory over Manchester United in the 2008/09 Champions League Finals in Rome made him the ‘Youngest man to coach a Champions League Winning Team’! He is still respected in the ‘sphere of good and tasteful football’, where football played according to Barcelona under the tutelage of Guardiola is so tasteful you feel like tasting it, that was the era of Guardiola!

However, he made some ‘terrible miscalculations’, yes you heard me right, ‘miscalculations’! I have always believed that, selling or ‘forcing out’ of the following players; Giovani dos Santos, Samuel Eto’o, Bojan Krkić, Yaya Touré, and buying the following; Alexis Sánchez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic were disservices to F.C Barcelona. I don’t know what he was thinking when he saw ‘potentials’ in an Alexis Sánchez but failed to realize the efficacy and the importance of a Bojan Krkić and the same can be said of the unfortunate swapping of a sluggish Zlatan Ibrahimovic compared to the fleet footed and goal-poaching Samuel Eto’o, what he intends to achieve with that crazy arrangements will remain a puzzle to us except, he choose to ‘elaborate on it’. His continued featuring of fidgety and clueless Isaac Cuenca and Alexis Sánchez while benching better players like Tello and Pedro Rodriguez when it was clear they were out of injuries cost us the league and Champions League – It’s time I talk turkey on this! As far as I am concerned (if I am wrong I will like to be corrected with facts), Alexis Sánchez remains the worst player in the history of F.C Barcelona to wear that ‘privileged No 9 jersey’ not even my Bojan Krkić will waste all those golden chances that came his way, especially during both legs with Chelsea in the 2011/12 Semi final stage of the Champions League.

Besides his sold and bought players, he failed to realize that under a Frank Rijkaard, our defense line was well fortified. Guardiola attempts in scuttling that arrangement of Rijkaard is still reflecting even under a Tito Vilanova’s command. Guardiola may be ‘lucky’ to win 14 trophies within 4 years, I don’t think it will be wise for Tito to follow suit. 2012/13 season looks promising but Barca’s complacency at the defense line is giving a lot to worry about, for now David Villa, Lionel Messi and perhaps a Pedro Rodriguez remains the best scorer we had, of course, the most ‘reliable’ of these three is Lionel Messi. Now let’s compare these three to what our most virulent rival, Real Madrid has; Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuaín – they are simply better off. I am yet to see players in the mould of Yaya Touré and Rafael Márquez in the current F.C Barcelona squad, this portends danger. Carles Puyol is aging, he needs a stand by ‘substitute’ in case of emergency. No doubt, he has been a fantastic player and a “Camp Nou Legend any time, any day. Leave it or take it, if January should come and go without getting some good and tall players (instead of the average-heighted men we had) at the defense line, let’s bid the League and any other competitions good bye!

No doubt, Pep Guardiola is an achiever but he allowed his ego to play on his judgments, on this one he missed the mark! He failed to realize that millions of fans are involved emotionally in the business of the game, hence he fell out. I am cock-sure, if Barcelona had gotten to the final of the 2011/12 Champions League and probably won it, he would still be in charge of F.C Barcelona no doubt. I hope Tito Vilanova will learn from the costly mistakes of his former boss and do something fast, the league is still young with lots of other competitions to fight for; a word is enough for the wise!

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News!! A Bridge Collapse In London!!! / 'casillas Is The Heart & Soul Of Real Madrid' - Xavi / Messi Returns To Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.