Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,441 members, 7,808,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? (6246 Views)

How Important Is Sex To You?,,? / How Important Is Money In A Relationship? / How Important Is Genotype In A Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by MyneWhite1(f): 3:59pm On Oct 22, 2012
For most of us, religion forms a pretty big part of our lives, right from when we are born up to when we become adults and begin thinking of who to partner with for the rest of life's journey. It becomes an even bigger deal then because not only do people have to share the same morals and values, most of which stem from their early religious/non-religious upbringing, you also have to consider where what role religion will play in your wedding, the marriage proper and in raising your children. When a couple have different religions, there is potential for conflict, and it has been known to lead to break up.

http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/2012/07/when-religion-breaks-up-marriage.html

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 22, 2012
It is very important. . .

I will always advise against marrying someone who does not share your religious beliefs. It always ends in problems. Religion is an integral part of the lives of the majority. I know everyone would want to have a happy family life, and would do anything that would foster that happiness and make it grow. If being of differing religions would bring disharmony, of what benefit then is it to continue?

Most people allow themselves to be blinded by emotions and then they call those emotions love. That is so not love. Where is the love when you both differ on a very important part of your lives? Where is the love if you cannot pray together and uplift each other, and encourage each other from the things you know and are still learning about God? Where is the love when you two have children and you cannot create a loving atmosphere for them to worship God in? Which God by the way? Why would two people want to selfishly confuse their young ones with religion?

People need to realize that not everything works out the way they plan them to be. Do not go about looking for love in a hopeless place. Do not put yourself in a compromising situation where you will have to make life altering decisions with your heart, and not your head. . .

When i Love, it should be in all totality. I cannot claim to love her if i cannot come to love her religion. I'd rather not allow anything or situation that would warrant me showing her half-baked loved. . . No one deserves that. . . No one!

10 Likes

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
Religion is very important. I laugh whenever people downplay religious differences when going into a relationship.

How can you live with your spouse when you don't have the same ideology and belief system. I believe that when two people from different religions come together as man and wife, one of them have to cede their own religion and school of thought to adopt the other person's own. That way there won't be conflicts in the marriage.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by PRESERVER(m): 4:50pm On Oct 22, 2012
It is highly important for morals
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nuezha(m): 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2012
As important as communication is.
More important than s/ex.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by vascey(m): 5:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
sexkillz: It is very important. . .

I will always advise against marrying someone who does not share your religious beliefs. It always ends in problems. Religion is an integral part of the lives of the majority. I know everyone would want to have a happy family life, and would do anything that would foster that happiness and make it grow. If being of differing religions would bring disharmony, of what benefit then is it to continue?

Most people allow themselves to be blinded by emotions and then they call those emotions love. That is so not love. Where is the love when you both differ on a very important part of your lives? Where is the love if you cannot pray together and uplift each other, and encourage each other from the things you know and are still learning about God? Where is the love when you two have children and you cannot create a loving atmosphere for them to worship God in? Which God by the way? Why would two people want to selfishly confuse their young ones with religion?

People need to realize that not everything works out the way they plan them do be. Do not go about looking for love in a hopeless place. Do not put yourself in a compromising situation where you will have to make life altering decisions with your heart, and not your head. . .

When i Love, it should be in all totality. I cannot claim to love her if i cannot come to love her religion. I'd rather not allow anything or situation that would warrant me showing her half-baked loved. . . No one deserves that. . . No one!

Well said.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by ATMC(f): 5:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
People of same faith used to fall out often how much more people from different religion...i can't even give relating with a muslim (romance relationship) a second thought, not to talk of marriage...because he definitely wont enjoy me.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Orikinla(m): 5:51pm On Oct 22, 2012
MY FAITH DETERMINES MY RELATIONSHIP.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by iyaayi(f): 5:53pm On Oct 22, 2012
I could never hv married a xtian. I could never ever compromise my religious beliefs. Can't risk my life akhira cos of dis world pleasure. Besides, doesn't augur well for kids in such marriages. Confusion becomes d order followed by misery and unhappiness. Unless of course one of d couples with different religions converts to one of d other

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by 234GT(m): 6:03pm On Oct 22, 2012
It is advisable you marry someone who shares the same religious beliefs as you. Marriages across religious divides do work out too. For example, my mum was a muslim before marrying my dad. After the wedding, she became a christian, and I must say they are the best couple in the world. I however dont believe in parents practising different religions, because it confuses and divides the children.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by claremont(m): 6:11pm On Oct 22, 2012
I don't have a problem with religious people, all my exes have all been religious. I do have a problem with religion itself.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Jambsupport(f): 6:15pm On Oct 22, 2012
it jus lik sayin a xtian marrin a moslem ow wil d home b. i cant marri sum1 nt of my faith. hv many reasons
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Luv253(f): 6:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
[/color]God!!! Dis is advice 4me, i ws almost into a relationship with a muslim nd he wnts to marry me. Is gud 4luv to wrk in any relationshp

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by GoldenLady1: 6:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
I agree with Sexkills. For me religion is very important. A persons faith is usually the main foundation of their life. If the relationship proceeds to marriage and offspring it can lead to division and a multitude of problems in the home. God forbid my marriage end in divorce.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Hizonizzle(m): 6:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
claremont: I don't have a problem with religious people, all my exes have all been religious. I do have a problem with religion itself.

Honestly, I share in ur problem with organise religion. People of the same faith now discriminate against each other how much more people of other faith. You will find a Roman catholic saying he or she cannot get married to a pentecostal and vice versa. This is most tragic and unfortunate.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 22, 2012
Luv253: [/color]God!!! Dis is advice 4me, i ws almost into a relationship with a muslim nd he wnts to marry me. Is gud 4luv to wrk in any relationshp
And what is the point of this picture? To look for christian suitors? Some people can be so daft.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Goldenheart(m): 7:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
it is very important.......selah (Jesus ♥ you all)
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by ParisLove1: 7:13pm On Oct 22, 2012
Zeddicus:
And what is the point of this picture? To look for christian suitors? Some people can be so daft.
What's your damn business??!

Put yours let's see how handsome you are

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by omakay(m): 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2012
Religion is something we invented here on earth. Love is what we met here on earth; we did not invent it. We human beings are good @ constructing problems for ourselves which we either solve or manage ( The latter is always the case). With love intact, you can control the issue of religion in any relationship be it dating or marriage.

6 Likes

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
Very.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by ULSHERLAN(m): 7:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
omakay: Religion is something we invented here on earth. Love is what we met here on earth; we did not invent it. We human beings are good @ constructing problems for ourselves which we either solve or manage ( The latter is always the case). With love intact, you can control the issue of religion in any relationship be it dating or marriage.
Well said
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 22, 2012
One's religion can be such an integral part of who and what the person is. Majority of the relationships that last do so because both parties share so much, especially values when it comes to morality, in other words both partners are on the same page spiritually/religiously. If you can tolerate your partner’s religious beliefs, then go for it. But put it at the back of your mind that you can't change anyone and wishing that someone will change is a waste of time. You can love, respect, trust and communicate well with one another and still not be able to negotiate differences. To negotiate differences, you have to be flexible, be able to lose gracefully, forgive easily, not take yourself too seriously and just accept that another person thinks and feels differently without demonizing them. Very difficult skills if you ask me.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by EmmyDe25(m): 7:52pm On Oct 22, 2012
omakay: Religion is something we invented here on earth. Love is what we met here on earth; we did not invent it. We human beings are good @ constructing problems for ourselves which we either solve or manage ( The latter is always the case). With love intact, you can control the issue of religion in any relationship be it dating or marriage.
God go bles u 4ur mumc.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2012
"beliefs are what shapes a man's (woman or man) life, & religion forms the integral part of every man's belief" quote by me. So you can see
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by GentleNaaz(m): 9:44pm On Oct 22, 2012
Imagn Rev Onyedekpo's first son go marry Abu Qaqa's daughter. Pope 1st son go marry osama daughter. Ds 1 na religious crisis itself
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by GentleNaaz(m): 9:46pm On Oct 22, 2012
afam4eva: Religion is very important. I laugh whenever people downplay religious differences when going into a relationship.

How can you live with your spouse when you don't have the same ideology and belief system. I believe that when two people from different religions come together as man and wife, one of them have to cede their own religion and school of thought to adopt the other person's own. That way there won't be conflicts in the marriage.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Ezebu(m): 10:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
The bible adviced us not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers.If your partner do not have like passion with you,forget it.I once had a lady friend who hated watching Christian Channels (Inspiration Tv,TBN etc) like I do instead she prefered to watch Trace Urban,MTV Base etc where immorality is being propergated. she was a Catholic & I tried to make her understand that as a GOOD CHRISTIAN & a child of God pursuing heaven we dont have to allow distraction by the devil instead of seeing it that way she opted out of the relationship...Religious belief is very very crucial.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by MadCow1: 11:22pm On Oct 22, 2012
Luv253: [/color]God!!! Dis is advice 4me, i ws almost into a relationship with a muslim nd he wnts to marry me. Is gud 4luv to wrk in any relationshp

Na spinsterhood go kill you.. Dey there dey select husband by religion..

If there is true genuine love and understanding, that's all that matters..
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by tlaret24(m): 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2012
Gentle Naaz: Imagn Rev Onyedekpo's first son go marry Abu Qaqa's daughter. Pope 1st son go marry osama daughter. Ds 1 na religious crisis itself
point of correction,d pope dn't marry,talk more of havin a 1st son.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 22, 2012
absolutely unimportant in my case.
I have a gf who is a christian and im an atheist. we've had our misunderstandings like any normal couple in the relationship but religion has not been a problem.
There's no research that proves that people from dissimilar backgrounds(be it religion, tribe or race) have more relationship issues.
Problems fester in relationships regardless of backgrounds of the partners involved.
Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by ramalot(m): 12:29am On Oct 23, 2012
smiley

1 Like

Re: How Important Is Religion In A Relationship? by omobadan(m): 12:37am On Oct 23, 2012
Religion is only important for bigots & intolerant people. Looking at what most of you are saying, goes to show how intolerant the world is. Love conquers all but only if you're willing to sacrifice. I see most people just want it easy. Hang on, I thought you people serve the same God? Abi I'm mistaken?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Talk Some Sense Into My Head.... This Guy Is No Good For Me / "Yahoo Boys Will Die This Year" Marine World Lady Makes Shocking Confession / I Visited The Biggest Snake Farm In Nigeria And This Is What I Found (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.