Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,095 members, 7,807,270 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria (13962 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / APC Six Points Agenda: State Of Origin To Be Abolished / Civil Service Promotion Exams To Be Abolished 2013’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by apala911: 5:58am On Oct 23, 2012
Senate President, Senator David Mark, on Monday said that time has come for the country to shift from the syndrome of state of origin and embrace state of residence.

He said that immediate elimination of state of origin and enthronement of state of residence would go a long way to cement relationship in the country.

Mark spoke to journalists in Quebec, Canada, after the opening ceremony of the 127th Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) Assembly, with the theme “Citizenship, identity, linguistic and cultural diversity in a globalised world.”

He noted that one of the issues that would be addressed at the on-going constitution review is a shift from state of origin to state of residence.

He wondered why a person who has lived in a particular place for 20 years performing all necessary civic responsibilities could not become an indigene of the area.

He said, “You should know that one of the issues we’ve been discussing in Constitution amendment is shift from state of origin to state of residence because it is an important issue.

“You are resident in a place for 20 years and still, they don’t take you as part and parcel of that place.

“I think it’s a difficult task but in my candid opinion, I think if we have an open mind and we approach it from a nationalist perspective, rather than a small, clannish perspective, I think we would get it right.

“Let’s forget the business of state of origin and go to state of residence.

“Once you are resident in a place and you perform your civic responsibilities for the period, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t benefit, provided of course you don’t claim dual residency.

“Some Nigerians may be very clever. They would come from Ondo State and are resident in Benue, when the benefits of Benue are not commensurate with their expectations, they shift to Ondo State.

“We can’t have that. Once you take a particular area, you should just be a part and parcel of that particular state.”

He described the theme of the conference as extremely relevant.

The theme of the conference, he said, is not “just international, it is also national because that is the only way we can domesticate and implement the theme.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news-update/why-state-of-origin-should-be-abolished-in-nigeria-mark/

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Awake9ja(m): 7:01am On Oct 23, 2012
hahaha this very serious.

only if hausa/fulani and kanuri are redy to do away with sharia.

i cannot be an indigene of a religional state.
can the core north lives freely with other people out side their region when they find out they have equal right with you.

they are permited to move around with knife,sword,gun and even bomb now we are divided etnicaly, how much more when they have equal right at every state of their resident.

hausa/fulani drags land with indigenes of every regions in nigeria now they are allien how much more when they are indigene.

3 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by SlyIg(f): 7:52am On Oct 23, 2012
If both state of origin and state of residence are being used,what would happen!
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 7:53am On Oct 23, 2012
Awake9ja: hahaha this very serious.

only if hausa/fulani and kanuri are redy to do away with sharia.

i cannot be an indigene of a religional state.
can the core north lives freely with other people out side their region when they find out they have equal right with you.

they are permited to move around with knife,sword,gun and even bomb now we are divided etnicaly, how much more when they have equal right at every state of their resident.

hausa/fulani drags land with indigenes of every regions in nigeria now they are allien how much more when they are indigene.

Comprehension! chai!
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 7:53am On Oct 23, 2012
SlyIg: If both state of origin and state of residence are being used,what would happen!

Why do you need a state of origin in the first place? if Nigeria is one as a country, why should i be asked which state i was born?

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by dridowu: 7:54am On Oct 23, 2012
I guess dy dy all want to be LAGOSIAN,state of origin will alwayz be

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by kayswag100(m): 7:56am On Oct 23, 2012
In Nigeria? Not in a million years!

Imagine Audu Usman as the Igwe of Iboland

or Nnamdi Uche as the Ooni of Ife

or Taiwo Adebayo as the Asagba of Asaba

or Eseoghene Edewor as Gbon Gwon Jos

just because they reside in d states...

C'est nes pas possible!!!!!

8 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Sunjos: 7:57am On Oct 23, 2012
This would not work at all. State of Origin should be maintained, if not, i go claim south south o..where i will be receiving my monthly salary without work.

3 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by sheyee(m): 7:59am On Oct 23, 2012
A very welcome idea, I think it is now our lawmakers are reasoning, This will help in reducing tribalism

7 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by ceejay80s(m): 8:03am On Oct 23, 2012
If u abolish state of origin, u go equally abolish to many languges in naija, we need just one languge. And i choose pigeon english as a major language

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by sheyee(m): 8:05am On Oct 23, 2012
ceejay80s: If u abolish state of origin, u go equally abolish to many languges in naija, we need just one languge. And i choose pigeon english as a major language

u don go take that thing again?

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by chosen04(f): 8:06am On Oct 23, 2012
This David Mark that miss the Mark keep reminding us of "Abandon Property" saga. . . . .

If . . . . . . . .
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 23, 2012
It would be very difficult. Nigerians are natural tribalists. ItRunsInTheBlood
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by codedguy1(m): 8:09am On Oct 23, 2012
honeric01:

Why do you need a state of origin in the first place? if Nigeria is one as a country, why should i be asked which state i was born?

Is Nigeria really one as a country? Naturally state of origin should not a criteria for anything, but to be frank, in present Nigeria that would be impossible. Our conscienciousness will not even allow us.

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 23, 2012
That's the ideal situation, and that is how it is done in civilised countries. David Mark is on point.

However, I don't think it would ever work due to most Nigerians' parochial and clannish nature - deeply wired into their psyches in spite of their levels of education or exposure. You see them here on Nairaland declaring that people who were born and bred in Lagos should "go back to their villages" if they cannot do without Okadas. Such senseless talk by supposedly 'educated' people says it all.

6 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by WarHorse1(m): 8:14am On Oct 23, 2012
I prefer state of birth to state of residence.

Also, I support the development of Pigeon English as our National language - widely spoken and understood. It only needs to be standardized.

4 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by omenziate(m): 8:17am On Oct 23, 2012
With tribalism and ethnocentricity endemic in Nigeria. Dis one na lie o. Pple would always remind u dat u are from so so place and dat.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by ceejay80s(m): 8:18am On Oct 23, 2012
sheyee:

wetin i take? Wetin bad for wetin i talk? France-French, Usa-English, Germany-German, Nigeria- Hausa,Igbo, Yoruba,Edo, Calabar, ibibio, efik,Pigeon, etc na wetin, just one country! Inshort naija for be a CONTINENT on its own

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by blaqoracle: 8:18am On Oct 23, 2012
apala911: Senate President, Senator David Mark, on Monday said that time has come for the country to shift from the syndrome of state of origin and embrace state of residence.

He said that immediate elimination of state of origin and enthronement of state of residence would go a long way to cement relationship in the country.

Mark spoke to journalists in Quebec, Canada, after the opening ceremony of the 127th Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) Assembly, with the theme “Citizenship, identity, linguistic and cultural diversity in a globalised world.”

He noted that one of the issues that would be addressed at the on-going constitution review is a shift from state of origin to state of residence.

He wondered why a person who has lived in a particular place for 20 years performing all necessary civic responsibilities could not become an indigene of the area.

He said, “You should know that one of the issues we’ve been discussing in Constitution amendment is shift from state of origin to state of residence because it is an important issue.

“You are resident in a place for 20 years and still, they don’t take you as part and parcel of that place.

“I think it’s a difficult task but in my candid opinion, I think if we have an open mind and we approach it from a nationalist perspective, rather than a small, clannish perspective, I think we would get it right.

“Once you are resident in a place and you perform your civic responsibilities for the period, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t benefit, provided of course you don’t claim dual residency.

“Some Nigerians may be very clever. They would come from Ondo State and are resident in Benue, when the benefits of Benue are not commensurate with their expectations, they shift to Ondo State.

“We can’t have that. Once you take a particular area, you should just be a part and parcel of that particular state.”

The theme of the conference, he said, is not “just international, it is also national because that is the only way we can domesticate and implement the theme.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news-update/why-state-of-origin-should-be-abolished-in-nigeria-mark/
senator mark is to comfortable to grasp what is on ground. if a man has lived in a place, has he belonged to the place? a Situation Where Dweller Continues To See Himself As A stranger, do you blame the host? most Dwellers in nigeria treat the host community with contempt and despication. mark Must Keep In mind That We That Have A heritage of an impeccable tradition and institution will never surrender it just to pacify some group that are known to be homeless and foodless.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by princemedico: 8:20am On Oct 23, 2012
It is not possible in this part of the world, even if it is passed into laws, it will only be formalities because a Yoruba cannot allow an Igbo rule them in their own community. Also, you cannot ask an Igbo to remain in another man's land without having his state in mind always(Igbos have this strong connection with their hometown).
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by ceejay80s(m): 8:21am On Oct 23, 2012
sheyee:

i 4get to tell u to always u water & hand wash ur nyash, no use toilet roll again 'cos if sh1t remain for dat ur nyash, u go dey mistalk
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by princemedico: 8:25am On Oct 23, 2012
blaqoracle: senator mark is to comfortable to grasp what is on ground.
What is the essence of quoting the op?

4 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by eghost247(m): 8:25am On Oct 23, 2012
nice idea but i doubt it will work
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 23, 2012
Nothing is impossible. Most Nigerians are afraid of change and also too mentally lazy to effect this change. Let us deliver ourselves from mental slavery, and if we don't agree with what Mark is saying let's profer our own solutions to end this tribalistic stronghold we find ourselves

5 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 23, 2012
ceejay80s: If u abolish state of origin, u go equally abolish to many languges in naija, we need just one languge. And i choose pigeon english as a major language

Which ''PIGEON''english,abi na parrot english u wan talk...Mumu like u idiota!

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by honeric01(m): 8:35am On Oct 23, 2012
coded guy:

Is Nigeria really one as a country? Naturally state of origin should not a criteria for anything, but to be frank, in present Nigeria that would be impossible. Our conscienciousness will not even allow us.

According to you, it's impossible, as for me and mark and millions of others, it's POSSIBLE, what purpose does state of origin serve? more division.

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 8:36am On Oct 23, 2012
Nigeria is a country that was built on hypocrisy and falsehood. This is the only country that puts a gun to people's heads and tell them to shout "ONE NIGERIA" and they preach unity more than the Jehovah witnesses preach the word of God. If the government is so serious about uniting Nigerians, then i wonder why they've not abolished the state of origin and indigenship quagmire. That's the only way we could move on as one indivisible country. If this is not done, then this country needs to be partitioned and very FAST.

6 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by JimmyBoy1: 8:37am On Oct 23, 2012
This proposal may not be a silver bullet that will solve all our differences, but it will surely do some help. However, for us to have a country where people wont look at where you come from or your language, then we need country where there is no corruption, nepotism,perverted or delayed justice.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by Goldieluks: 8:46am On Oct 23, 2012
Not a bad idea. Hopefully this idea could bring about a sense of unity amongst Nigerians.
Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by thehomer: 8:51am On Oct 23, 2012
So what stops them from making this the law with respect to federal institutions and encouraging the states to do away with it? These guys just mouth off reasonable plans when they leave the country but when they're in the country, they just perpetuate mediocrity. Is it something wrong with the air Nigerians breathe or is it the water? Or maybe just maybe this guy is just being insincere.

2 Likes

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by killuminati(m): 8:53am On Oct 23, 2012
apala911: Senate President, Senator David Mark, on Monday said that time has come for the country to shift from the syndrome of state of origin and embrace state of residence.

Mr senator David X Mark The Spot, u yarn well but these highly tribalistic fools won't let this apn!

1 Like

Re: Mark: State Of Origin Should Be Abolished In Nigeria by elopee3000(m): 8:53am On Oct 23, 2012
it will not work cus they will beleive igbos will benefit more so it wont work ,

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Biggest Chicken In The World / Buhari To Halt Importation Of Food Soon – Minister / IGP Idris And Igbo Traditional Leaders (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.