Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 (7005 Views)

EFCC Closes In On Ex-gov Over 29 Dubai Assets / Nigerian Troops Claim They Killed 100 Boko Haram Militants In Yobe(photos) / Graphic Photos Of Slain Boko Haram Militants In A Recent Military Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/good-times-for-ex-militants-in-2013/

Good times for ex-militants in 2013

Next year, the Federal Government plans to spend over N88 billion on the Amnesty Programme, N16 billion more than what it is spending this year, raising concern in some quaters, writes LEKE SALAUDEEN

BY the time this year ends, the Federal Government is expected to have spent about N72billion on its Amnesty Programme for repentant Niger Delta militants. This is more than what it spends to deliver basic education to children.

Next year, it plans to spend more on the programme, largely because of a third phase, just approved by President Goodluck Jonathan. Over N88 billion will be sunk into the programme next year. Of this, 30,000 ex-militants will take home N23.6 billion as stipends. Another N35.4 billion will go into the re-integration of transformed ex-warlords. N3.699 is earmarked for what is described as ‘presidential amnesty programme’.

Three years ago, attacks ranging from theft to bombings to kidnappings pummelled oil production to as low as 500,000 barrels on some days. So, the government began spending hundreds of millions of dollars a year to maintain an uneasy calm in the oil-rich delta. Production is now back up to 2.6 million barrels daily of low-sulfur crude.

Another move government adopted to ‘buy’ peace in the region was to get the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to begin paying ex-militant leaders such as Mujahhid Dokubo-Asari to protect oil pipelines. Dokubo-Asari gets $9 million a year to pay his 4,000 former foot soldiers to protect the pipelines they once attacked.

Gen. Ebikabowei “Boyloaf” Victor Ben and Gen. Ateke Tom get $3.8 million a year apiece to have their men guard pipelines. Government “Tompolo” Ekpmupolo maintains a $22.9 million-a-year contract to do the same.

But, oil theft appears to be on the rise again. Shell estimates that more than 150,000 barrels of oil are stolen daily.

Last month, President Goodluck Jonathan approved a third phase for the Amnesty Programme, a development which analysts say mean the country may commit millions of dollars to the programme next year.

The Special Adviser to the President on Research and Documentation, Oronto Douglas, believes there is no better option than continuing to ‘buy’ peace.

He said: “If it’s too huge, what are the alternatives?”

Through the programme, 26, 358 former Niger Delta militants have been trained in various vocational courses both at home and abroad.

The Jonathan administration claims that the amnesty proclamation is the sincerest , boldest and most profound effort by any government of Nigeria since 1960 to address the agitation for fairness, equity and development in the oil- rich Niger Delta. The successful management of the post-amnesty programme, said government, has ensured the return of peace, safety, security and sustainable development to the region.

But some analysts have disagreed with the government’s position. To them, the programme is selective and not in the interest of the majority of the people of the Niger Delta. They claim that the programme is only benefiting a few people. They believe part of the money could have been used in setting up industries to create jobs for the unemployed youths in the region and Nigeria at large.

The Co-ordinator, Ijaw Monitoring Group, Mr. Joseph Evah, said it has failed to address unemployment, under-development and bunkering.

A collosal waste

Former Minister of Petroleum Prof. tam David-West said “the (amnesty) programme is good but it is being executed wrongly.”

This is why little has been achieved, he said.

“ The government is busy throwing money all over the place as if that would make it work. You don’t buy peace with money. All the government needs to do is to talk to the militants at the level they understand. If you induced them with money, you are creating problem. Some of the militants told me government has stopped giving them money as they used to do. Government spoiled them with money and created more problems among the youth in the Niger Delta. Imagine Asari Dokubo collecting $9 million annually in the name of protecting the oil pipelines. A university professor earns N5 million annually.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Caseless: 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2012
I wish i was a militant. Maybe i'd have to leave school and indulge in something illicit...cos that appear to be the sure way to gain relevance and huge pay in my lawless country. If The only way to reachout to the ND youths is by doing this, then i'm sure woe looms in that region. What is the unemployment rate in that region? Graduates are jobless and the armed men are well paid and celebrated....if this is what the 'emancipation of ND' entails then, i'm afraid , the region is in bondage. Smh....
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Default01: 5:45pm On Oct 23, 2012
Na u put us 4 bondage 4 evry 1 millitant dere is 3-6 person as a family member so u se dat amnesty is really helping us.and my guy check ur region wella u guys ar d ones in bondage bcus as far as knw d niger delta region is moving fast more dan any region.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Caseless: 8:33pm On Oct 23, 2012
Default01: Na u put us 4 bondage 4 evry 1 millitant dere is 3-6 person as a family member so u se dat amnesty is really helping us.and my guy check ur region wella u guys ar d ones in bondage bcus as far as knw d niger delta region is moving fast more dan any region.
hmmmm... U cant be more oblivious! Do u think through the lower opening of ur body? Did u take ur time to read through my post b4 this alphabet soup u typed out to defend ur militant guardians? U think like a typical bigoted nigerian..so i'm not suprised. And did u say niger delta is ahead of every other region? Ok, in what respect? Dont forget ogoni people are stil crying and if ph was without oil,then left to tourism alone ,do u know how the IGR of the state would have looked like? . Also, the allocation that bayelsa state alone with 8 LGs and with population of less than a million recieve in a month is what the 6 north-eastern states recieve as their monthly allocation in 3 months. my dear militant advocate, have u seen that huge allocation translated into any meaninful development? So it is not about 'who-has-what' but it is about condenming what is wrong. I dont care what the ex-militants gets, but how has that helped or impacted on the life of ordinary niger-deltan who's not an ex-militant?

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by WildOne1: 11:39pm On Oct 23, 2012
ONE OF THE MILITANT FLEXING!

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 23, 2012
Is it me or is there something wrong with Gej...where in the world does such a thing hapen?
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by acidtalk: 11:43pm On Oct 23, 2012
Na wa oh!

I read this and I ran to my phone to make an urgent call.

Acidtalk - Hello sir,

NDDC Chairman - Hello who is this?

Acidtalk - I am a militant sir and my name is not on the list of beneficiaries of the N88billion to be shared next year.

NDDC Chairman - Who are you?

Acidtalk - I am Acidtalk.

NDDC Chairman - Which militant group do you belong too?

Acidtalk - Everything sir. Ogoni Freedom fighters, MEND, Egbesu Boys, everything sir.

NDDC Chairman - You must be joking.

Acidtalk - Not at all sir.

NDDC Chairman - Did you burst pipelines?

Acidtalk - No sir!

NDDC Chairman - Did you kidnap?

Acidtalk - Not at all sir.

NDDC Chairman - Were you a Pirate?

Acidtalk - No sir.

NDDC Chairman - Then what classifies you as a militant.

Acidtalk - hmmm!!!!

NDDC Chairman - Get off my line. That N88billion is for only boys who have killed, kidnapped, oil bunkers and pirates in the creek and the entire South-South region. You sound too naïve and peaceful to share from the National Treasure.

17 Likes

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by CastleandGreen: 11:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
I an not against amnesty program but the federal government should create jobs for them after the training.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by 360command: 11:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
Make dem hide that news so as boko haram no go c am and tell our govt on d price to maintain dem yearly if they are to surrender all thier suicide bombers and bombs.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by BrutusOj(m): 11:52pm On Oct 23, 2012
9ja I hail thee grin grin
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by CGKing(m): 12:00am On Oct 24, 2012
Just invest thst money into infrastucture and modernize the region. Create jobs. Strengthen their universities n encourage them by helping the build a career in oil. Why r we wasting money on nothing.

The amnesty programme makes no sense. When an authourity offers a criminal amnesty, it is a favour, a pardon, a second chance for them to re enter society, not to be settling them.

Looks like the militants were the ones that gave the GEJ govt Amnesty.

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by lacasa: 12:09am On Oct 24, 2012
NIGERIA IS A NATION UNDER A CURSE LIKE THE *ISRAELITES*
cry
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by hydiciousb: 12:17am On Oct 24, 2012
Wild-One:
ONE OF THE MILITANT FLEXING!
na die be dis ooooo!
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by stjudas(m): 12:38am On Oct 24, 2012
Boko haram have to come out of their shell, embrace a national dialogue and become a partaker of this programme. How much will be given to Shekau and Qaqa? I guess 100s of million $$$.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by tevinsolt: 12:50am On Oct 24, 2012
hmmmm.....i hate this country with a passion!!
poor people die wretched, goal oriented die trying, militants die rich, politicians die rich, milk thief gets sentenced to death, money launderer get's worshiped and goes Scot free

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by controlseven: 12:51am On Oct 24, 2012
*Cleaning my guns* This phase must be for women militants just like YOUWIN programme or else casalaa go burst! Where ma female warriors, hit'em up!
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Besto(m): 1:22am On Oct 24, 2012
mehn c figure 4 militants
funi enuf dis guy jst use this dier allowance to smoke,party and carry ladies.!
Last tyme i waz in bayelsa,laptops were shared 4everi 4kin small militants
dis guys jst went ahead to sell the laptops nt even wanting TO learn or use it for the purpose it was shared.!! Bought 4rm them at 20k each sha 'brandnew ish'
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by freesoul3(f): 2:18am On Oct 24, 2012
make i hurry go marry one of dem militants jare
too much money full ground kiss
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by justsayemma(m): 4:09am On Oct 24, 2012
And how much hav they invested,in projects dat wil impart in d lives of niger deltans positively? East-west road 4 e.g
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by TonySpike: 5:11am On Oct 24, 2012
This amount isn't enough. They should have allocated the entirety of the 2013 budget to them militants. That way, things will get better...yeye people.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by redsun(m): 6:05am On Oct 24, 2012
Na wa for nigeria.Korokoro,some set of hooligans(leaders) are just holding the nation to ransom and the people are just watching.

Are the militants the people or just disidents?

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Wsdm: 6:45am On Oct 24, 2012
The amnesty program is a good initiative if properly harnessed. But the zeal at which Jonathan has put in the continuity of Yar'adu's amnesty program was not seen at the dredging of the river Niger initiated by the same Yar'adua. This would have reduce the effects of the flood that is facing us today. I hope he understands that he is a federal president and not a regional one.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by malele(m): 7:05am On Oct 24, 2012
9ja is a mess.
Don't we have soldiers or police to guard does pipelines?
Serious nigeria is not ripe for democracy at all we need soldiers back, cause this kind of mess can't happen in a military regime
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Demdem(m): 8:02am On Oct 24, 2012
Govt of the criminals for the criminals.

1 Like

Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by sylve11: 8:12am On Oct 24, 2012
Be a criminal, a strong one at that and the government'd come begging for ur mercy. cool
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Omen100(m): 8:28am On Oct 24, 2012
when man pikin nor fit cry, he go dey laugh waka grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:14am On Oct 24, 2012
I dont have anything against this as long as it gets to the whole 30,000 militants.
Let them eat their oil money. its their blessings from God.
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by akintun: 10:15am On Oct 24, 2012
Only 20% of d money would get to d militants
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Asemo11(m): 11:15am On Oct 24, 2012
Besto: mehn c figure 4 militants
funi enuf dis guy jst use this dier allowance to smoke,party and carry ladies.!
Last tyme i waz in bayelsa,laptops were shared 4everi 4kin small militants
dis guys jst went ahead to sell the laptops nt even wanting TO learn or use it for the purpose it was shared.!! Bought 4rm them at 20k each sha 'brandnew ish'
wetin consine u
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 24, 2012
#noComment
Re: FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013 by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 24, 2012
We have the Navy, militants are guarding the water ways!

We have the police, JTF's are patrolling the streets

#one day the poor will have nothing to eat but the rich!

Useless Country!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Begins Construction Of Ultra-modern Markets / Robbers And Kidnappers On Rampage In Delta - Thanks To Uduaghan & GEJ / Buhari's Ministerial List: Tinubu "Punishes" SE, Pencils 'ogbeh' For SGF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.