Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:31 PM

How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? (11007 Views)

How Has The Falling Global Oil Prices Affected You? / The Proposed Ban On Okada: How Feasible Is It? / Has Social Network Slangs/short Forms Affected You In Your Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by acidtalk: 10:39pm On Oct 25, 2012
omiobo: Asking for a lift is another alternative to forget okada but everybody in Lagos is a suspect. it's either you get kidnapped or you lose your car.

So true and so sad.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by bami2006(m): 7:03pm On Oct 27, 2012
Okada is d fastest means of transportation on our side Sagamu-ikorodu road, due 2 d very poor condition of our road. Bannig okada will make life more difficult 4 those who work outside those environment. As govt has banned okada on our road maybe he should bring railway to cushion d effect on d masses.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by acidtalk: 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2012
Construction of a rail service will take nothing less than 2years.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by eleven(m): 10:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
irohadis: Fashola and his advisers, by pursuing this policy have really shown the height of their ineptitude. Forget the issue of being humane. Economics 101 should have taught them how crazy and idiotic this policy is.

Job loses:
It is conservative to say that there are 100,000 Okadas in Lagos State. 100,000 Okadas = 100,000 jobs. Plus, another 200,000 jobs for people who lease, sell and repair Okadas, as well as people who sell engine oil and spare parts to Okada people. Then there are the street kitchens who feed them with food and snacks. Let us say that conservatively, the total jobs lost = 300,000. Let us assume that each Okada job makes an average of =N=2000 a day. =N=2000 x 300,000 Okadas = =N=600,000,000 (six hundred million) a day in lost business to the Lagos economy.

Killing the future:
Then there are the kids that may drop out of school because of loss of income for their parents, others that would die of simple illnesses for lack of free medical care. These children's health and education define the future of Lagos to a significant extent. Let me leave out the extended family and networks that these incomes support. I can't quantify the cost to Lagos in this respect.

Undermining efficiency:
It is the height of ignorance to fail to recognise the efficiency that Okadas bring to business operations and activities in Lagos. Where are they roads? As bad as the riders are, Okada's are the most efficient means of getting around the gridlock that is Lagos during the day. No government invited them to start operations. Okadas began in Lagos organically in response to a need for a faster way to get around and a way to reach the nooks and corners ill serviced by public transport vehicles. That need has not gone away and the weak infrastructure has not changed. The immediate cost to businesses small and large that depend on Okadas may also run into the hundreds of millions a day.

Unfair devaluation of private asset value:
The estimated 200,000 Okada vehicles in Lagos, who is going to buy them? What happens to their value? Let us say they are each worth at least =N=50,000 on average. That is 10 billion Naira worth of private assets devalued with a single policy. Is there an Okada buy back policy to at least give these now jobless people some capital to find another means of livelihood??

The idiotic case for the ban:
Yes robbers use Okadas to terrorise the city. Yes Okada riders can be rough on the road. Yes many have been maimed by Okadas. These are good reasons to see Okada as a problem, but hardly a justification. Why? If you think robbers are using Okadas to gain an advantage, imagine if 1% of 300,000 turn to robbery for a lack of employment. That is three thousand robbers injected into the society in one go. Imagine if 5% turn to other forms of crime or negative social behaviour. That makes 18,000. Do we not have enough of those in Lagos. Do we have the jails to hold them?

Okada riders are rough on the road. So is every one. Unless it is a different Lagos, the Lagos I know is one where you deserve a special license for being able to drive in it. Almost every one is in a hurry. It is easy to pick out the small guys. But how can a government that has not built the good roads banish road users for being rough. The terrain shapes the nature of navigation. Many have died and been maimed by Okada accidents. But more have died from the bad and neglected government roads. If you need to sack any one in this regard, it is the guys in power, who have misused our collective wealth instead of building our infrastructure.

The bigger nuisance in Nigerian and in Lagos is the governance and not Okada. Those in power are stealing much more than robbers have stolen with Okadas. They have left the infrastructure to decay in a city with so much wealth. They are building up elite neigbourhoods while the masses wade the floods to their homes. They have killed more through their negligence. The Okada man is an easy target to help clean up their mess. If you need to decongest the roads, build more and expand existing roads, create new public transportation modes (trains, buses,boats), build bicycle lanes, etc. If you need to improve security, equip the security forces and install more security infrastructure. Think for solutions first before taking the easy and ill informed way.

Fashola has really really disappointed me and ACN can not win a free election in Lagos if this policy stands. The masses are the majority and not the elite.

GOD bless you. Your analysis is so on point.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Ademat7(m): 10:35am On Sep 18, 2016
Jarus:
Due to traffic situation on my Badore-Ajah-VI home-work route, driving to work means I'll be leaving home not later than 6:15am if I want to get to work before 8. Since I have alternative in bike, I can afford to set out by 7 and still get to work before 8. I consider that convenient than driving(driving in traffic is a hell of work for job - I just don't have the patience).

Only to get to Ajah on Monday and no bike was willing to go to VI. After waiting for like 20 minutes, hopped public transport. Needless to say I got to work late, 8:30.
pls sir I will like you to advice me on how I can go about transportation to US embassy(Walter carrington crescent) from ajah,d interview is 7:30am hence I need to be on ground by 6-6:30am.
looking forward to ur response.
pls treat as urgent as possible
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by gustavo281: 1:09pm On Sep 18, 2016
Hello babies cheesy
How are you?
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Sylvester665: 1:21pm On Sep 18, 2016
Hello babies cheesy
How are you?
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 18, 2016
Ademat7:

pls sir I will like you to advice me on how I can go about transportation to US embassy(Walter carrington crescent) from ajah,d interview is 7:30am hence I need to be on ground by 6-6:30am.
looking forward to ur response.
pls treat as urgent as possible

From Ajah roundabout, join a bus going to Obalende or CMS.

Drop at Kofo bus stop. Ask of US embassy (Walter Carrington) from anyone immediately you drop at Kofo bus stop.

Leave home by 5am.
Re: How Has The Ban On Okadas In Lagos Affected You? by Ademat7(m): 7:04am On Sep 19, 2016
Jarus:

From Ajah roundabout, join a bus going to Obalende or CMS.

Drop at Kofo bus stop. Ask of US embassy (Walter Carrington) from anyone immediately you drop at Kofo bus stop.

Leave home by 5am.
thanks very much

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Download Youtube Videos In Any File Formats - Youtube Secrets / S-C-A-N-D-A-L: Former VP Namadi Sambo Caught Having Sex With Wife's Brother. / Apple Choice Is Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.