Stats: 3,149,719 members, 7,805,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir (19465 Views)

Dr Nwaezeigwe Was Paid By Buhari To Write The False Review / Obasanjo Pushing HID Awolowo On Wheel-Chair (Picture) / Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 11:33am On Oct 25, 2012
BankoleNco:

You refute facts with facts. . . . Those were his own words, not fact! I wouldn't expect you to understand, being slow.

LOL using Bankole typical

Yes I don't understand what you are trying to imply with your quote. Please explain further if you don't mind.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by marveouz: 11:33am On Oct 25, 2012
en jay: For a Dr to make such strong conclusions witout evn havin an idea of wats in the book is rather disheartin! To the "ibo" guys on this page shoutin "hear! Hear!" Maybe they are just chasin cheap acceptance from the westerners lyk dis uninformed lecturer is. For the real Igbo guys that knw wat emotions this particular subject evokes,pls do nt resort to abuse Ãήϑ insults as ways of makin U̶̲̥̅̊я point....truely, WE KNOW OUR ENEMIES!

He does not have to read the Memoir...he only said his own side of the story

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 11:35am On Oct 25, 2012
marveouz:

He does not have to read the Memoir...he only said his own side of the story

Abi !!! I don't understand this silly talk of reading the whole book when A QUOTE FROM THE BOOK IS VERY INCITING ?
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by ajutant(m): 11:35am On Oct 25, 2012
@Alj (boko) hareem, dr nwaezigwe ws nt d only person dat lost family members in d war. Ojukwu did nt kill his family members its sum northern fulanis or his family ws starved by awolowo. Try n tk it cos its d truth.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 25, 2012
Dr, go and read the book and stop talking trash. Awolowo was greedy n thirsty for power!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2012
Just a question pls, did awolowo comit sucide or not?if the answer is dat he actually took his own life, den ur guess cud be as gud as mine, i tink nemesis cought up wit him. Pls let us move d country forward we hav d potential to be like germany if we bury tribal sentiments and folow d way of good
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 11:41am On Oct 25, 2012
ajutant: @Alj (boko) hareem, dr nwaezigwe ws nt d only person dat lost family members in d war. Ojukwu did nt kill his family members its sum northern fulanis or his family ws starved by awolowo. Try n tk it cos its d truth.

How did Awolowo starve his family to death ? Please answer.

Is that not DR NWAEZIGWE JUST EXPLAINED ?

What also happened to the millions given to such people as Dr. K.O. Mbadiwe and Mojekwu, a relative of Odumegwu-Ojukwu for the purpose of purchasing arms and ammunition to prosecute the war? Did they not cart away with the money and never returned to Biafra until after the defeat? Where again could one place those who sold relief materials meant for the poor and suffering citizens of Biafra, when it was meant to be distributed free? Were all these atrocities against the Igbo equally masterminded by Chief Obafemi Awolowo?

How did Fulanis kill his family, Were his family members part of the biafra military ? If yes then that is war causality caused by Ojukwu if NO then he most probably died of starvation from Ojukwus policies.

Neither way you have nothing on the fulanis or awolowo. Now come up with some thing new
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

I suppose.
who the hell told you that YAMIRIN means Southerners? Abeg go check well before you say what you don't know! angry
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 11:44am On Oct 25, 2012
chiover: Just a question pls, did awolowo comit sucide or not?if the answer is dat he actually took his own life, den ur guess cud be as gud as mine, i tink nemesis cought up wit him. Pls let us move d country forward we hav d potential to be like germany if we bury tribal sentiments and folow d way of good
Francis Diote: Dr, go and read the book and stop talking trash. Awolowo was greedy n thirsty for power!

[size=18pt]People you see what I mean when I talk of IQ, this is no insult but how can one keep repeating the same thing and the same set of people keep asking the same question ? Well I am done wasting my time with rat brains. When you quite your souls, relax and think deeply then come and comment with sense.[/size]
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 11:47am On Oct 25, 2012
berem: who the hell told you that YAMIRIN means Southerners? Abeg go check well before you say what you don't know! angry

Abeg relax jare. Inyamari literal meaning means Southerner

Hausa means southerner in reference to the northern tribes of Niger.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by enjay1(m): 11:48am On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

Abi !!! I don't understand this silly talk of reading the whole book when A QUOTE FROM THE BOOK IS VERY INCITING ?
So youre sayin its Ơ̴͡K̶̲̥̅A̶̲̥̅Ɣ for some1 to read a part or a quote witout knwin watt context itwas used in Ãήϑ den make generalised conclusions based on D̶̲̥̅̊ quote?!!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by tunnytox(m): 11:58am On Oct 25, 2012
en jay:
So youre sayin its Ơ̴͡K̶̲̥̅A̶̲̥̅Ɣ for some1 to read a part or a quote witout knwin watt context itwas used in Ãήϑ den make generalised conclusions based on D̶̲̥̅̊ quote?!!

The quote is enough! There is absolutely no need to read any part of that ridiculous pack of lies from a liar and ethnic bigot like Achebe. If anyone have any facts to disprove what this writer has stated just post it here or stop whining.

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 11:59am On Oct 25, 2012
en jay:

No !

1. There are NO general conclusions here because[b] WE DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT IS IN THE BOOK as it is of NO RELEVANCE TO US.[/b]

2. The book in question is not the bone of contention here it is the quote. Even if at the end of the book he later puts Awolowo and "his yoruba" people were Angels, It still does not change the quote in question here.

3. No one wants to read the book, the quote is what is generating the profit for Achebe not the content of the book.

Now what are we saying or should I put "what am I saying", Take this analogy for example, if you are in school and you are asked to explain the law of comparative advantage, would you go read the Whole book on economics which include econometrics etc ? Certainly not ! .

So in reality we don't care about the content of the book but the quote that he made painting Awolowo and his "Yoruba people" as people that aided in the so called "genocide" (which I don't believe) of the Igbos.

That is why strong reactions are being displayed. Can an icon write about Igbos in such bad note without strong reactions ? Please tell me.

Of course it is not Igbos but Yorubas so I don't expect any Igbo person to see reason in what I am saying.

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by egbetokuns(m): 12:00pm On Oct 25, 2012
ACM10: He made some very interesting contributions. But it will be unfair to review a book without reading it.
He has to understand that an average Onyeigbo do not consider Yorubas as enemies. Our grouse is with the conduct of Awolowo during and after the war.
The inference that Yoruba
had thrown a much stronger
loyal support to the
leadership of Nnamdi
Azikiwe than the Igbo ever
exhibited toward Chief
Obafemi Awolowo is a complete balderdash! It is true that NCNC were able to win some seats in the western region in 1952 election, but Yoruba support for Zik did not go beyond that. Remember that AG won some seats in the east too. Beyond Awo/Zik, Ndigbo have thrown their support behind Yorubas on countless occasions; Abiola, Obasanjo, etc. By the way, Awolowo and other Yoruba politicians often use an unflattering terms to describe Zik and Ndigbo. Read some of Awolowo's books or watch Akintola's video on youtube.

There are some rogue characters in Nigeria and Biafra during the civil war. So there is no doubt that some people engaged in activities which were inimical to the war effort. Singling out Biafrans is rather unfair.

On the other hand, Ironsi misread the mood of the northerners especially their elites. He did not envisage that situation will degenerate to 2nd coup de etat or pogrom. He kicked against all the advice from senior officers of the coup in the making. To demonstrate his detribalized nature, he surrounded himself with officers of northern origin.
When the mood of Nigerians were low, he embarked on "apology tour" trying to please the northerners who showed an outward contempt for his leadership. Releasing Awolowo who was a convicted felon during the regime of the deposed government headed by a northerner will be counterproductive to his "appease the north" effort. Ojukwu cannot release Awolowo either without an express permision from Ironsi.

There is no doubt that the true enemy of Ndigbo are Hausa/Fulani oligarchy. But they cannot do much if Yoruba withdraws their support for them.

The fact remains that Ndigbo and Yorubas are rivals; and Yorubas tends to exploit Hausa/Fulani-Igbo feuds to hurt us.

Yorubas made a feeble attempt to secede. But they could not do much since there was an intimidating presence of northern troops all over the western region.

I don't know Dr. Nwaezeigwe personally. Though he strikes me as an interesting character. But I'm disappointed with some of his assessment. Though some are logical from the revisionists point of view. I agree with him that Ndigbo and Yoruba should forge a common front which will be based on magnifying our common grounds and minimizing our point of differences. But he should consult his history books on where such mindless unity led us to in the past.
. I seriously agree with DR and I believe with this time in nigeria we don't need all this kind of historical argument we ar not blind we all know that some people create war anD benefit from it. I read most of interview of late awo and I believ strongly in him how many igbo that have 100% respect for ojukwu. Plz let's move on and become one
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 12:03pm On Oct 25, 2012
egbetokuns: . I seriously agree with DR and I believe with this time in nigeria we don't need all this kind of historical argument we ar not blind we all know that some people create war anD benefit from it. I read most of interview of late awo and I believ strongly in him how many igbo that have 100% respect for ojukwu. Plz let's move on and become one

Becareful of what you wish for because it may end up biting you. Just pray for the best that is all, Let God be the answer.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by achi4u(m): 12:15pm On Oct 25, 2012
la cosa nostra: OK ALL OF UNA, DAYOKANU,SHYMEX,OSIRIS.CYBER G truthfully speaking between this doctor review or comment and dat of our own ACM10 which is more objective,logical e.t.c
ACM10===70%
Dr.Nwezeigwe===30%

Am sure you're happy?
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

[size=18pt]People you see what I mean when I talk of IQ, this is no insult but how can one keep repeating the same thing and the same set of people keep asking the same question ? Well I am done wasting my time with rat brains. When you quite your souls, relax and think deeply then come and comment with sense.[/size]

ur a ist generation coward,dat ur so lazy to read d entire book does not mean every nigerian must be ur type. Seem to me dat ur hired a pa who writes for u cox ur d trypa infested type who hardly devote an hour to read n visual like sometime in full. A quote is all u nid to analyse a critical issue. Maganibruntashiiii
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 12:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
chiover: ur a ist generation coward,dat ur so lazy to read d entire book does not mean every nigerian must be ur type. Seem to me dat ur hired a pa who writes for u cox ur d trypa infested type who hardly devote an hour to read n visual like sometime in full. A quote is all u nid to analyse a critical issue. Maganibruntashiiii

LOL grin grin grin da.ft. In reality there is nothing being a coward not wasting my time patronising a tribalist hateful writer.

Again if you have brain at all, you would know that only an iddeiot would read a whole book when he is being asked about a section not to even talk of a quote.

So my sister, you are du.mb smiley

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by achi4u(m): 12:30pm On Oct 25, 2012
So it is true that some of our Igbo people carted away millions pounds meant for the purchasing of war materials?

too bad!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by vislabraye(m): 12:32pm On Oct 25, 2012
ajutant: I knw dr. Nwaezigwe, he taught me some courses bck den in UNN. Am nt surprise cos I knw him, Nwaezigwe is almost a clown, full of pride dou intelligent. He says things he thinks is ryt dats him. He is still bitter wit d agonies of d war, hw he lost family members n all dat . Even in class he alwz criticize ojukwu n co.. He sounds bereaved on d experiences of d war. He said achebe did nt fight d war! Dats to say he shldnt hv written anytin about d war. I believe Dr. Nwaezigwe shld hv been open on his own account oda dan sectioning out awolowo defence and oda anomalies frm sum igbos durin d way. D man is bitter about d war. He is yet to recover frm his lost, dis is nt about defending awolowo.

You're right in saying he's bitter about the war. But who isn't bitter?
Is Achebe not bitter? There would always be an agrieved party. But you youths haven smelt war before so you can almost say anything.
May be we would do ourselves a great favour by visiting libraries.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 12:34pm On Oct 25, 2012
achi4u: So it is true that some of our Igbo people carted away millions pounds meant for the purchasing of war materials?

too bad!

But is that not what we have been saying all this while. In fact here is another revealing fact

Nzeribe actually sold weapons to the Nigeria Army meant for baifra.

More than 30 years ago, Nzeribe first cut the image of an anti-Igbo element when he supplied arms, ammunition and equipment to the Igbo enemy for the annihilation of his own people. At the age of 64, he is still playing the same game. It is one of the greatest political scandals of Nigerian political history that a person with this record is in the Senate, ostensibly elected by the same people whose interests he has never espoused in any way. But all hope is not lost, as the 1999 Constitution, despite all its infamous imperfections, provides for the recall of any erring legislator.

* Adinuba is the Head of the Nigerian Office of Discovery Public Affairs Consulting.http://www.newswatchngr.com/editorial/prime/special/10826111525.htm

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by advocate666: 12:37pm On Oct 25, 2012
Some people should hide their faces in shame.
Shame on this useless professor.
The Matrix refered to this phenomenom as poeple so dependent on the system that they will kill their own mum to perpetuate the system
oyibo call am stockholm syndrome.
(Dr) Nwaezeigwe, your education is useless. You are an abomination to igboland. You are an insult to all that died for the sake of igbo freedom.

Fight on brothers
Fight on sisters
Fight on for your fatherland!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by aljharem(m): 12:41pm On Oct 25, 2012
advocate666: Some people should hide their faces in shame.
Shame on this useless professor.
The Matrix refered to this phenomenom as poeple so dependent on the system that they will kill their own mum to perpetuate the system
oyibo call am stockholm syndrome.
(Dr) Nwaezeigwe, your education is useless. You are an abomination to igboland. You are an insult to all that died for the sake of igbo freedom.

Fight on brothers
Fight on sisters
Fight on for your fatherland!

Why for speaking the truth ?

You curse and insult a man trying to sought out for peace but bless and praise a man that wants war and killed 2 million Igbos according you Biafrans ?

It DOES NOT MAKE SENSE WHY YOU PEOPLE THINK LIKE THIS.

MR Nwa is in Nigeria and knows the truth, an Ideeeiot is in america shouting war and you believe the one in america over the one in Nigeria ?

Do you people have brains at all ? On a serious note undecided

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by tunnytox(m): 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

You curse and insult a man trying to sought out for peace but bless and praise a man that wants war and killed 2 million Igbos according you Biafrans ?

MR Nwa is in Nigeria and knows the truth, an Ideeeiot is in america shouting war and you believe the one in america over the one in Nigeria ?

It's amazing the way some people's brains are wired and how their DNA was coded!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Abbott(m): 12:56pm On Oct 25, 2012
So many laughable clowns on Nairaland. Some with a five letter username that starts with B and ends with M and so on. Very impossible human beings. Impossible in thought and logic, wants to make you hit your head on the wall repeatedly.
Scientist should start working on stupidity vaccines and anti-stupidity retroviral or anti-virus drugs.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by pazienza(m): 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2012
This stupid Dr is a disgrace,he deserves to to be stoned to death. How can he justify awolowo's 20pounds policy, he is a disaster,his type is hazardous to the entire igbo race.

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

LOL grin grin grin da.ft. In reality there is nothing being a coward not wasting my time patronising a tribalist hateful writer.

Again if you have brain at all, you would know that only an iddeiot would read a whole book when he is being asked about a section not to even talk of a quote.

So my sister, you are du.mb smiley
half baked brain(education) is d major prob of nigeria. So u dont know dat ur supposed to read d entire war memoir and learn sometin new? Even in my elementry skul days i was adviced to read wide(extensively). So my man pls kick out lazinex n devote more time in reading it will mek u a beta pesin dan all dis unwanted erection n ejaculation ur havin online bcox of relyin on a comon quote,did u pas ur exams tru micro chips(expo) ? Pls no ofe o na quest i askkkkkkkkkkkkkkk u ocheesy
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by proudlyafrican(m): 1:04pm On Oct 25, 2012
Like Dr. Nwaezeigwe stated it is not necessary disturbing myself with someone`s personal opinion. Achebe`s statement in his book is his personal view and opinion.However,promoting hate and abusing the mind of young Igbo people against the Yoruba`s is a senseless thought for an old man.

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by pazienza(m): 1:04pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

What truth? Awolowo never denied using starvation as weapon of war against biafra.

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by proudlyafrican(m): 1:06pm On Oct 25, 2012
pazienza:

What truth? Awolowo never denied using starvation as weapon of war against biafra.

Yes,it is war and you have to subdue the enemies by any means necessary,i hope that answers you right since you don`t want to use your brain.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by tunnytox(m): 1:08pm On Oct 25, 2012
proudlyafrican: Like Dr. Nwaezeigwe stated it is not necessary disturbing myself with someone`s personal opinion. Achebe`s statement in his book is his personal view and opinion.However,promoting hate and abusing the mind of young Igbo people against the Yoruba`s is a senseless thought for an old man.

Exactly!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Protest In Lagos Over Political Violence In Rivers - Photo / Buhari Will Not Accept Femi Fani-Kayode As APC Member - Dr Salihu Lukman lPGF DG / Sunday Igboho Crippled, Nnamdi Kanu Incarcerated, Gumi, Miyetti Allah Protected

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68