Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:27 PM

Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? (3748 Views)

5 Reasons Why Pastors Do Not Need Private Jets / Five things Nigerian Pastors do / 5 Funny Things Pastors Do On The Pulpit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by solid3(m): 8:00am On Oct 25, 2012
Hi peep, this tithe issue has been bodering me so much.

From all the Bible I have read, I have never came across where Jesus Christ spoke about tithe neither did his disciples or the Apostles. They majorly spoke about them sharing what they have with the needy.

But we all know the way todays pastors hammer on tithe issue.

Does it mean that Jesus Christ only came to save us and does not care about God opening upon us the windows of heaven for blessings?

Does it mean that God is waiting for you not to pay tithe and then cease ur security and blessings?

Does paying tithe make u rich or vise versa?

Pls am a born again Christian and I need other born again christian view on this. Your comment wld be highly appreciated as it wld set me on the right path again on this ish.

Thanks.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by mutiply: 8:41am On Oct 25, 2012
This tithe issue is something else today,even some of the catholic churches have joined them and collect it openly,i still believe in helping a neighbour who is a need rather than give it to a man of God who has more than enough.i know my God will bless me for my actions,i only give to church when the need arises but surely not tithe.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by ijawkid(m): 8:55am On Oct 25, 2012
Jesus and his apostles never spoke or emphasized on tithes neither did they recieve tithes.....

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by obyrich(m): 8:58am On Oct 25, 2012
You know the truth already. Tithe was practised by adherrents of judaism and has no place in christianity. Tithe paying doesnt make anyone rich today. As Dangote. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and co. Even king solomon, the Richest man in the bible did not become rich through paying tithes, rather by making sacrifices. Tithing was not practised by early christians. Christ did not mention tithe. He knows why.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by obyrich(m): 8:59am On Oct 25, 2012
You know the truth already. Tithe was practised by adherrents of judaism and has no place in christianity. Tithe paying doesnt make anyone rich today. Ask Dangote. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and co. Even king solomon, the Richest man in the bible did not become rich through paying tithes, rather by making sacrifices. Tithing was not practised by early christians. Christ did not mention tithe. He knows why.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 9:24am On Oct 25, 2012
Hmn, these are real born agains speaking and talking. Where them "other born agains" that have been richer by paying tithes?

This my user-ID was actually dedicated for them hungry pastors that use our tithe money to "wac"!

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by solid3(m): 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2012
thanks for the reply so far.

Can a born again christian talk to me pls?

Thanks.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 6:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
*solid*:
thanks for the reply so far.

Can a born again christian talk to me pls?

Thanks.
So those talking so far are pirated christians?

@op, have you received baptism by fire, what does the holy spirit tell you about tithing?
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Horus(m): 6:55pm On Oct 25, 2012
Pastors who ask for tithes are scammers!!. Jesus never took from his congregation. He never passed around a basket or tray to receive pledges and donations at the end of each sermon. He never asked for a payment. Nor did he ever tell his disciples to accept money for their assistance as found in Matthew 10:8-10:
“Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.”
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Smartiegurl(f): 7:13pm On Oct 25, 2012
Hmmm! Buh seriously some pastors have a way of backing dis tithe issue up with d bible cuz if it waz nt written somhw in d bible so many pple won't be paying tithes.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 7:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
^^^this only works for christians that dont read their bibles but blindly follow their pastors.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by solid3(m): 8:30pm On Oct 25, 2012
pastormustwacc: ^^^this only works for christians that dont read their bibles but blindly follow their pastors.

how do u mean pls?
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 9:56pm On Oct 25, 2012
*solid*:

how do u mean pls?
I meant that some christians are real sheeps that are easily cajoled by their pastors to pay tithes, so that they get untold riches.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Joagbaje(m): 7:40am On Oct 26, 2012
*solid*:
Hi peep, this tithe issue has been bodering me so much.

From all the Bible I have read, I have never came across where Jesus Christ spoke about tithe neither did his disciples or the Apostles.

Luke 11:42
"But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes ,but you should not leave these other things undone.

They majorly spoke about them sharing what they have with the needy.

Tithe Is a kind of giving. Alms giving is another kind of giving. One should not take the place of the other.

But we all know the way todays pastors hammer on tithe issue.

Really, is it only tithe they teach for one hour every day? Talk true . How many churches do you attend to know what they all preach. Let's avoid exaggeration pls. A minister teaches the whole counsellor of God.

Does it mean that Jesus Christ only came to save us and does not care about God opening upon us the windows of heaven for blessings?

Does it mean that God is waiting for you not to pay tithe and then cease ur security and blessings?

Does paying tithe make u rich or vise versa?

Pls am a born again Christian and I need other born again christian view on this. Your comment wld be highly appreciated as it wld set me on the right path again on this ish.

Thanks.

There' are several givings in Gods kingdom. Tithes ,offerings ,alms giving, giving to parents, giving to Your man of God. Etc. we must do all. Without neglecting the other. What to God should not take the place of what you give to the poor or what you give to your parents.

Every giving has its blessing. If you do it ,you have it's blessing, if you don't you simply miss out of its blessing that's all.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Joagbaje(m): 7:51am On Oct 26, 2012
Horus: Pastors who ask for tithes are scammers!!. Jesus never took from his congregation.

Luke 8:3
Joanna, the wife of Chuza, Herod’s business manager; Susanna; and many others who were contributing from their own resources to support Jesus and his disciples.

He never passed around a basket or tray to receive pledges and donations at the end of each sermon.

So where did he get money from? He even had a treasurer who bears the money bag.

John 13:29
Some thought that since Judas was their treasurer, Jesus was telling him to buy what they needed for the Feast, or that he should give something to the poor.

He never asked for a payment. Nor did he ever tell his disciples to accept [quote]money for their assistance as found in Matthew 10:8-10:
“Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

Study the embolded part to know what it means. They shouldn't charge money for healing doesn't mean they were forbidden from receiving . How will the a man be worthy of his meat without receiving . Does God drop money from sky?
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 7:55am On Oct 26, 2012
Receiving and demanding for payments are another thing. Some pastors can spend 72hrs straight lecturing you on how to pay tithes.
I have seen some very very big christian books teaching you to pay tithes - listing so many rewards there - i never bothered to read them.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Joagbaje(m): 8:01am On Oct 26, 2012
pastormustwacc: Receiving and demanding for payments are another thing. Some pastors can spend 72hrs straight lecturing you on how to pay tithes.
I have seen some very very big christian books teaching you to pay tithes - listing so many rewards there - i never bothered to read them.

Pastors have taught on salvation, holy spirit, marriage, purpose, domain inion over sin , dominion over epdevils, prayer, how to fast etc. why is it tithe issue Satan always attack ? There really must be something speciall about the tithe.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by solid3(m): 9:24am On Oct 26, 2012
Joagbaje:

"But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes ,but you should not leave these other things undone.

What version of the Bible do u use bro? Also seems like Jesus was rebukin the pharisees for neglecting justice and God's love to others and also about thier custome rather than teaching on tithe. How about the diciples andd the apostles?

Joagbaje: Tithe Is a kind of giving. Alms giving is another kind of giving. One should not take the place of the other.

Alright.

Joagbaje: Really, is it only tithe they teach for one hour every day? Talk true . How many churches do you attend to know what they all preach. Let's avoid exaggeration pls. A minister teaches the whole counsellor of God.

I have heard first hand frm a pastor whom his senior pastor literally slapped him in church asking him whether he wants to die? Besides, when pastors preach about tithe, they hardly quote Lk 11:42, neither do day site other verses in the new testament except Mal3:10.

Joagbaje: There' are several givings in Gods kingdom. Tithes ,offerings ,alms giving, giving to parents, giving to Your man of God. Etc. we must do all. Without neglecting the other. What to God should not take the place of what you give to the poor or what you give to your parents.

Every giving has its blessing. If you do it ,you have it's blessing, if you don't you simply miss out of its blessing that's all.

Giving is good, but I guess giving should be done with wisdom and chearfully and not grudgingly.

God help us.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2012
The spirit of antichrist is already in the church, and they are deceiving people en masse, causing people's mind to be diverted from the church.
That is why, i repeat, the most dangerous place where a believer that wishes to make heaven be most wary of is the church:-
- so many things go on within the church that can defile a person if one is not too careful
- all the years of service and loyalness to the church can easily be wasted

Take heed when you think you stand lest you fall. people should seek out some truths from the holy spirit themselves, and not just listen to pastors.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Horus(m): 1:27pm On Oct 26, 2012
Joagbaje:

Is it the 419 version of the bible you are reading?
Below is the right version

42 “Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

Proofs that you are telling us lies, so you cannot be trusted PERIOD!!
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 2:33pm On Oct 26, 2012
419 bible! mo gbe!!
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Joagbaje(m): 2:40pm On Oct 26, 2012
Horus:

Is it the 419 version of the bible you are reading?
Below is the right version

42 “Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.

I didn't write a bible , I only quoted a simpler English version. They are still saying the same thing dude.

Proofs that you are telling us lies, so you cannot be trusted PERIOD!!

You don't need to trust me. Just trust the scriptures okay. And that's what I quoted . If you have any problem with the bible ,then really have a problem
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwacc: 2:57pm On Oct 26, 2012
@Joagbaje:
It was an illusion that you read 419 bible, i thought you posted this:

Luke 11:42 says

instead of

Luke 11:42 says
"But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God.
You own intepretation was on the context of tithe: You should tithe, yes ,but you should not leave these other things undone.

My own argument:
Yes, Jesus did not outrightly condemn the law, but he showed us the real thing to do from time to time.

In the old testament: a man was ordered to be stoned to death by moses for gathering sticks on the sabbath - Jesus indirectly condemned that action by stating that sabbath is for man and not the other way round.

The woman that was caught in adultery - moses would have executed the woman sharperly - but jesus rebuked them.

What i am trying to point out is that Jesus has given us examples of how to live and do things, if tithing was important for the believers to make heaven - do you believe that all the great apostles and Jesus with their abilities to see beyond time and know what will be would not have included it for us in their teachings?

Anyway, i am not convinced about the tithing thing - to do what i am not convinced about will defile me - because i will have double-mind and become unstable.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by BERNIMOORE: 2:24am On Oct 27, 2012
@joeagbaje,
It is very unfortunate that after an extensive debate on this tithing issue on the other tread of which the truth about tithing was exposed,and it was discovered and put to your face that tithing as you put it is a fraud! your suporters and theologians 'wordtalk' 'snowwy' and 'garyarnold' opinions on these issue were weighed and compared, and it was discovered that each of you 'tithe advocates' had different views on how you arrived at that conclusion,that is you agreed that yes,tithing is still required but comparing your points,it differs from each other,for example,your pastor Oyakhilome says that malachi 3:10 apply directly to christians,but having exposed the meaning that malachi as the last book of old testament is refering to 'the levi' and that how would 'my storehouse' refers to 'the church' when the storehouse refered to in that book of malachi is in the temple and despite the availability of cash 'denarii or shekels' at that time,God was insisting to the isrealites in that book of malachi to 'Bring food/meat into my storehouse'....something that you guys turned to be 'cash in my house',in you own case you differ from your pastor Oyakhilome on this by extending your claim outside the 'law covenant' to pre-law Abraham's one off tribute offering, but remember what jesus said in Mathew 12:25....“Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand.

Instead of teaching the truth as found in the bible, you guys are exploiting some irregularities of some Bible translators, knowing fully well that since the bible originally was in hebrew/greek manuscript,you will simply ignore the oldest translations like king james version (1611) over 400 yrs translation, but rather, you preffered the newest bible editions translated not from Greek or Hebrew,but translated from 'The living Bible'(1971). you simply quoted luke 11:42 (from NLT)new living translation (1996,2007) translations that was done mostly by theologians some few years ago to suit their own 'lust' and they could not hide their intention of promoting extorting through tithes,(i will expound on that later) these NLT Author of the modernised bible that you used Kenneth Taylor and his co NLT authors says this below in their preface of the bible;

''Mark Taylor (president of Tyndale House) explains that one of the problems he encountered as publisher of the Living Bible is that "despite its popularity ... it never received wide acclaim by pastors and scholars. Too often it was dismissed as being 'just a paraphrase.'" (2) So apparently the claim that the New Living Translation is a "new translation" is designed to prevent the version from being viewed as a "revised paraphrase."
Now lets see your ''New Living Translation'' a modernised bible 'so to say' below;

Luke 11:42 (NLT)2007 New Living Translation

compare to the oldest bible translated directly from greek manuscript in 1611,
(KJV)king james version(1611)

But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs,[size=14pt] and pass over judgment and the love of God: [/size].:

The emphasis here is[b]''and pass over judgment and the love of God''[/b]
How do we know that?,
''these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone''.

in nutshell, jesus was cursing the pharisees that 'if they can be that carefull to tithe even the smallest of their foods, it should have been done together without leaving the accompanying parts of the law which are 'judgment and the love of God' separately.

This can be better understood by reading james 2:10,
''[size=14pt]For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point[/size], he is guilty of all''

this is the point jesus was trying to point out, that if you must observe the law, 'you must observe all'

Galatians 3:10
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Jesus Did Not Neccesarily Stop 'An Existing Law On Tithe' Binding On Only Jews Which Jesus Himself Met,But Because His Coming Will Not Only Put An End To 'Tithing Demanded By Law' But The Whole Entire 'Binding Written Law' Is About To End,

But Then, Why Do We Have Law In The First Place? The Answer Not Far Fetched;

Galatians 3:19,20.

19 Why, Then, Was The Law Given At All? It Was Added Because Of Transgressions Until The Seed To Whom The Promise Referred Had Come. The Law Was Given Through Angels And Entrusted To A Mediator. 20 A Mediator, However, Implies More Than One Party; But God Is One.

And More To That,Our Justification Is Not Through Law, But By Faith;Vs 23,24

23 Before The Coming Of This Faith, We Were Held In Custody Under The Law, Locked Up Until The Faith That Was To Come Would Be Revealed.

24 So The Law Was Our Guardian Until Christ Came That We Might Be Justified By Faith.

And To Nail The Head, The Whole Entire 'Binding Written Law'(That Also Includes Tithes In All Its Entirety) As A Code Ended With The Death Of Christ;

Colossians 2:14,

14 Having Wiped Out The Handwriting Of Requirements That Was Against Us, Which Was Contrary To Us. And He Has Taken It Out Of The Way, Having Nailed It To The Cross.

[size=14pt]And The Undisputed Fact That Jesus Did Not Instructs His Disciples And Christians To Tithe, Shed More Light On The Fact That Tithe Will End 'On The Cross'.Neither Paul And All Other Apostles Teach Tithe To Christians,

God Is 'Not Of Confusion' Never.[/size]
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Nobody: 2:37am On Oct 27, 2012
It is evident that Joagbaje is a thief
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by pastormustwak: 3:57am On Oct 27, 2012
^^^A big tyme one for that matter
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Joagbaje(m): 7:55am On Oct 27, 2012
Rather it's the non tithers God called thieves.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by solid3(m): 8:21am On Oct 27, 2012
How I wish one of the prominent pastors (Pst Chris Oyakhilome, Pst Adeboye, Pst Oyedepo, Pst Matthew Ashimolowo, Pst Paul Enenche est) in Nigeria or the world would own up to this truth (for you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free).

So many peep break thier back to pay this tithe even when they are in dear need.
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by seunmustwac: 8:22am On Oct 27, 2012
Okay, i have created a new thread called TITHING: New Testament Practice Or Old Testament Bondage
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by solid3(m): 6:12pm On Nov 16, 2012
more comments
Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by nep2ra(m): 2:41pm On Nov 17, 2012
Logicboy03: It is evident that Joagbaje is a thief

Joagbaje is NOT only a THIEF but he's also a wicked, unrepentant LIAR. He doesn't worship God. He worships the DEVIL. Shameless Rogue. I'm sure the idol you worship is proud of you.

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus & His Apostles Ever Speak About Tithe Like Today's Pastors Do? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 17, 2012
Joagbaje: Rather it's the non tithers God called thieves.

Muslims, pagans, buddhists etc dont tithe. Are they theives? Even Jews dont tithe.

It is only brainwashed christians (infact, most christians dont tithe)and thieving pastors that accept tithing as scriptural

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Muslims Give Offerings\tithe In Mosque? / (Tweets)Earthquake Rocking Nepal, And Christians Are Selling Christ / Suggest A Book/ Book Reviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.