Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Prevalence Of Female Circumcision In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Prevalence Of Female Circumcision In Nigeria (2074 Views)

Understanding Female Circumcision And Its Effect On The Girl Child / Female Circumcision Still Pratice In Nigeria!!! / Female Circumcision: what's wrong with it? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Prevalence Of Female Circumcision In Nigeria by igbanbajo(m): 11:53am On Jan 26, 2008
Grateful if Seun would allow this thread on the Homepage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Forum Members,

I read a thread recently (on  NAIRALAND) https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-105836.0.html where a member referred to his girlfriend's clit as having been cut  (Yoruba: won ti ge). To other members who responsded to this thread it was so strange; they sounded as if it was extremely new to them.

Then I began to think that I'm the only one who knows of its existence on NAIRALAND. I know it's common in some parts of the South West but how common is it in other parts of Nigeria?

I want each Nairalander to post what happens in their immediate environment (where they live), tribe and all else they think others should know about it. Let's learn from one another.

To avoid confusion, I'm male and a Yoruba.
Re: Prevalence Of Female Circumcision In Nigeria by babycool(f): 12:48pm On Jan 26, 2008
From where i come from in Edo state, women were usually circumcised when their bride priced is paid after which they are immediately sent to the fattening from for seven days, they are not to take thier bath for the 7days, but thier husband must provide for them whatever they choose to eat. After the 7 days the woman can now take her bath, she is dressed by other maidens and sent to her husband's home.

I find it intresting but bizarre! grin

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News : Tor Tiv The Fifth Emerges. Prof. J O I Ayatse. / How The Word "Oba" Came Into Existence / I Am Not Igbo But Let Biafra Be Given There Freedom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.