Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,516 members, 7,770,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:08 AM

My Life At This Moment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Life At This Moment (1958 Views)

20 Things Must Do At Age 30 To Benefit Your Life At 50 / 30 Things You Must Do At Age 30 To Benefit Your Life At 50. / A Brutal Accident Claim Life At Mile 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Life At This Moment by iamanonymous: 12:10am On Oct 26, 2012
I have been a passive reader of this site for a short while but something happened today that made me write my first post to give me something to look forward to.

After several weeks of feeling down, I finally decided to visit the doctor today and he diagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder cry. At first, I was glad to know what has been wrong with me; to know that what has been causing all those moodiness, lack of concentration, loss of appetite, insomnia, and even suicidal thoughts and many more was due to no fault of mine but chemical imbalances in my brain. It later began to dawn on me that I am one of the few people that become overwhelmed with the stress of everyday life sad.

I started on antidepressant medication today and I know the first couple of days won't be easy due to the side effects, but knowing that few weeks from now, I will feel begin better gives me hope.

The doctor advised me to tell my parents but I don't think I have the courage to tell them yet considering how they might react.

Till then, I'm gonna try to concentrate on my studies again and improve my grades hoping that the side effects do not hinder me much.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Sissy3(f): 10:18am On Oct 26, 2012
Good for you for taking the first step...having the courage to go the doctor and be properly diagnosed. It wouldnt be easy, but at least you are optimistic about it. Definitely, do take your time with telling anyone, parents inclusive especially people who have limited knowledge on mental health disorders.

Good luck with treatment. Do update your progress, if you can. I'm sure there are some people who will benefit from your shared experience
Re: My Life At This Moment by Ivynwa(f): 5:53am On Nov 06, 2012
i_am_anonymous: I have been a passive reader of this site for a short while but something happened today that made me write my first post to give me something to look forward to.

After several weeks of feeling down, I finally decided to visit the doctor today and he diagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder cry. At first, I was glad to know what has been wrong with me; to know that what has been causing all those moodiness, lack of concentration, loss of appetite, insomnia, and even suicidal thoughts and many more was due to no fault of mine but chemical imbalances in my brain. It later began to dawn on me that I am one of the few people that become overwhelmed with the stress of everyday life sad.

I started on antidepressant medication today and I know the first couple of days won't be easy due to the side effects, but knowing that few weeks from now, I will feel begin better gives me hope.

The doctor advised me to tell my parents but I don't think I have the courage to tell them yet considering how they might react.

Till then, I'm gonna try to concentrate on my studies again and improve my grades hoping that the side effects do not hinder me much.

Great to hear that you are taking medications for that. Please whatever you do, don't give heed to suicidal thoughts. Stay alive for us, we want you alive, okay Baby. Lots of hugs to you. kiss kiss kiss

Re: My Life At This Moment by mogbomoya: 6:35am On Nov 06, 2012
lots of love deary.

I know what ur going thru cos I suffer from depression also. pls have positive family & friends around you all the time. also find time to carefully educate them what ur passing thru.
after d delivery of my son, i had another deep case of post partum depression. am still on anti depressant hence i cant breastfeed.

update us with ur progress.
Re: My Life At This Moment by iamanonymous: 11:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
Thanks so much everyone.
Just wanted to give a little update on what's been happening so far.

I really appreciate. I eventually found the courage to tell a family member, but it's not easy when they don't understand and think it's all your fault, so I have decided not to tell anyone else, at least, not until I get a bit better.

I'm still on medications. My doc gave me a prescription for 30 days when I was diagnosed. When I went for check-up, he prescribed another 60 tablets for me with 5 refills. He says I might need to be on the medication for a year so I don't relapse. I'm just a few weeks in, and the side effects have been sort of affecting my normal activities.

Regarding my school work, due to the lack of concentration and motivation, I did not perform so well in my assessments, but with the medication now, I should be able to study well for my final exams and make up for the shitty midterms.

@ Mogbomoya, I'm so sorry to hear that Ma. I'm sure you have a healthy baby. They say the risk of postpartum disorder is higher in people with previous history of depression, and this makes me scared. How long have you been on antidepressants?

@ Ivynwa, thanks for the hugs grin When the thoughts come, I just try to wave it away and tell myself that this is just a season that will definitely pass, that gives me hope.

@ Sissy, it wasn't easy gong to the doctor, it was when I realized that something was wrong with me that I went to see my school counselor who advised me to visit my family doctor.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Sissy3(f): 8:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
i_am_anonymous:

I really appreciate. I eventually found the courage to tell a family member, but it's not easy when they don't understand and think it's all your fault, so I have decided not to tell anyone else, at least, not until I get a bit better.

Good decision.

what medication/s did your doctor put you on, if you dont mind me asking
Re: My Life At This Moment by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 13, 2012
Ivynwa:

Great to hear that you are taking medications for that. Please whatever you do, don't give heed to suicidal thoughts. Stay alive for us, we want you alive, okay Baby. Lots of hugs to you. kiss kiss kiss

Seconded.

I know the feeling sometimes.
I dont take perscription medication, i meditate and pray.
Sometimes neither is enough so i take adv.il/m0trine medicine to ease the inevitable physical pain I will feel and sleep off my "down times".

Anyway its not about me...i am just happy you have a plan to fight this. I will pray for you sis. You will get through this. kiss
Re: My Life At This Moment by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 13, 2012
Re: My Life At This Moment by iamanonymous: 3:03am On Nov 18, 2012
~Sissy~:

Good decision.

what medication/s did your doctor put you on, if you dont mind me asking

I am on Cepralex 10mg.
*Kails*:

Seconded.

I know the feeling sometimes.
I dont take perscription medication, i meditate and pray.
Sometimes neither is enough so i take adv.il/m0trine medicine to ease the inevitable physical pain I will feel and sleep off my "down times".

Anyway its not about me...i am just happy you have a plan to fight this. I will pray for you sis. You will get through this. kiss

Thanks so much. Good to know that there are people praying for me. The prescription medication was one of the few reasons I didn't seek help on time. I used to think that the feelings would pass but they grew worse, hence the need to seek help. Does anyone know how you feel or you just keep the feelings all to yourself? Hope you have someone to talk to because that could help a lot.
Re: My Life At This Moment by iamanonymous: 5:11am On Nov 25, 2012
These couple of days have been terrible. No one understands what I'm going through. I try to put up a smile but deep inside I am hurting.
I hate this illness and all that it brought with it (was diagnosed with acute acid reflux and told that if I don't eat, I might develop ulcer).
The pains and aches get so much that I feel like I can't bear it anymore. I am holding on but it's like my grip is beginning to get loose.
I hate the disappointments I'm putting everybody through. I just want to be happy again and enjoy life.
My only hope is knowing that He feels the pains I feel and sees the tears I cry and that He would be merciful to heal/save me from this dilemma.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 25, 2012
You are you and you are unique in your own way.... it doesn't matter what anybody thinks.... understand that this is a free world and people have mouth to say what pleases them..... they don't matter at this point you are...

I presumed you need to resolve some issues within yourself....find peace... then the pills will work and help ... but without you involved ... I think it's just a ball game...rolling and rolling and never stops.

Have you considered therapy ? I think you need a session or two in a week.... we that go thru hectic daily lives even need one so its nothing to be ashamed of...it's part of being human....nobody nobody is perfect.

Get yourself together sweetie nobody is gonna help you but you and all we can do is support you emotionally .... I have a gut feeling you can because you can! I believe in you but you need .. you have to try to believe in yourself.

It is well with your soul .
Re: My Life At This Moment by Nobody: 1:36pm On Nov 25, 2012
I didnt want to comment earlier because i felt that since you were on meds, you are on the up but now that you say you are not feeling too good i thought Id say a few things

Firstly dont give up, depression meds take a while to start working . . .in some cases up till 6 weeks. Not only that, some may actually make you feel worse before you begin to feel better.

secondly stop feeling guilty . . . cars break down, your gen will break down, So does the human body from time to time, so dont feel bad about disappointing people and all that.

The acid reflux will not help matters. Are you on meds for that? have you checked the side effects of your meds? can they be causing the acid reflux? There is almost always a second option so go back to your doctor and tell him/her about the acid reflux and he might change your antidepressants if need be

Now you need to steer clear from what is stressing you and you may not even know what it is . . . so it is a good idea to see a counsellor if possible. They are also very good at putting things in perspective and making you see what you may think as negative into positive things.

surround yourself with happy things and people. Yes POSITIVE PEOPLE . . . that is very important because some people just drain you.

You may have to take time off school to get better. . . . it may sound like the end of the world now, but in a years time you will look back and may find that it was a good decision.

I wish you all the best.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Sissy3(f): 1:09am On Nov 26, 2012
One step at a time dear. it wouldnt be easy, but it will be worth it,always remember that. you will be happy again because you are already on the right track.hang in there. I like the idea of incorporating therapy sessions in your treatment plan as jidegirl12 suggested. It will greatly improve the outcome. Look into it if you can afford it
Re: My Life At This Moment by Ivynwa(f): 9:06pm On Dec 24, 2012
i_am_anonymous: These couple of days have been terrible. No one understands what I'm going through. I try to put up a smile but deep inside I am hurting.
I hate this illness and all that it brought with it (was diagnosed with acute acid reflux and told that if I don't eat, I might develop ulcer).
The pains and aches get so much that I feel like I can't bear it anymore. I am holding on but it's like my grip is beginning to get loose.
I hate the disappointments I'm putting everybody through. I just want to be happy again and enjoy life.
My only hope is knowing that He feels the pains I feel and sees the tears I cry and that He would be merciful to heal/save me from this dilemma.

Stay strong dearie, acid reflux is supposed to be treated with antacids, ain't? Check with your doctor so that he/she can give you the right medication for that. Be eating okay Baby, don't cry babes. Hugs!
Be strong for yourself, Life is beautiful however the circumstance we might be in so hold on for yourself. You will get better in no time I believe. I will also remember you in my prayers.

Whoops, it's Xmas. Have yourself a merry Xmas.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Ivynwa(f): 6:10am On Dec 25, 2012
I was searching for some info on youtube and came across acid reflux videos that discussed the causes. I don't want to post video here so as not to make you panic poster, do discuss with your doctors and get started on your treatment. This particular video merely discussed how to control acid reflux by controlling the how and which and when of food intake. You still need to work with the doctors so you can read and still go for help from the doctors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKjzeYZKo_4
Re: My Life At This Moment by iamanonymous: 6:05am On Jan 04, 2013
Hello All,

Thank you all so very much (if there's something like that) for your prayers, encouragement, and advise. I am better now, I do not pray to experience what I've experienced again (I do not even wish it for my worst enemy). I might need to continue the medication for a long period of time to prevent a relapse but I'm soooo loving myself right now. I almost forgot what it felt like to be healthy and happy. I've been off the drug for about a week (too lazy to go for a refill at the pharmacy) but I don't even notice. I'm ready to go back to school for the new term and get all my As as I used to grin

Thanks so much and God bless you all.

Lest I forget, Happy new year to you all.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 04, 2013
Glory be to God. So happy to hear that you have improved greatly and have found a new will to live and enjoy life

One thing though is to please please please not to abruptly stop the medication as you may relapse. You need to come off it gradually. so please find time to go back to your doctor for him/her to gradually reduce the dose till you come of it totally.

Once again congratulations and may your healing be permanent in Jesus name.
Re: My Life At This Moment by Sissy3(f): 12:45pm On Jan 08, 2013
i'm happy for you smiley

continue to stay strong

(1) (Reply)

Photos & Video: Chinese Doctors Grows 17 Year Old Girl A New Face On Her Chest! / Demystifying Root Canal Treatment / Woman Parks Her Car, Gets In The Middle Of The Road And Starts Pulling Her Cloth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.