Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? (5917 Views)

People Who Failed To Use Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos Punished (pics) / Fashola Spends More Than 1.18 Billion Naira On Six Pedestrian Bridges In Lagos / Obi Awards Pedestrian Bridges, Roads and Stadium To Be Completed Within 30 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by eledalo: 4:58pm On Oct 26, 2012
Yeah. Cruising down Ikorodu road towards Ikeja in the Beamer - left the 600 Merc with the Misses. The Nat King Cole CD on blast - love that guy's music.

SUDDENLY!! a group of people make a mad dash across the road - able bodied men, people holding children, even some !d!ot carrying a goat across his shoulders (what the heck?).

They all scramble across the road, leaping over the barrier of the BRT lane and putting their lives and the lives of us motorists in danger! All this directly under a pedestrian bridge where others are crossing safely (no car can climb up the bridge to come and hit you) and enjoying the view.

Its like using a screwdiver to clean your ears, while you have cotton buds in front of you.

So the question I have for you is this - Why do some Lagosians choose to run across the road when there is a bridge designed and constructed just for them?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Charbless(m): 9:58am On Oct 27, 2012
1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IMO cos they are Nigerians and crossing the Road is shorter

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 27, 2012
Waste of precious time and energy. Sharp, sharps runs na d real thing. Though not the best, just funny.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by strangest(m): 9:59am On Oct 27, 2012
No try am for cele bus stop... Word of advice..
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by shugacaneman: 10:00am On Oct 27, 2012
Beggers and hawkers discomfort u while making use of that.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by blueheart(m): 10:00am On Oct 27, 2012
@Op, not all pedestrian bridges are good. Some av holes in them wide enough to fit a limb. The ones at apapa oshodi express comes to mind
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by GAR3TH(m): 10:05am On Oct 27, 2012
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nwoka(m): 10:05am On Oct 27, 2012
No time!!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by PaulJohn1: 10:06am On Oct 27, 2012
I think you shouldn't conclude because of a scene you witnessed.
On the same Ikorodu road, just yesterday I used the pedestrian bridge. Not just myself alone, along with lots of people.

There is even a part in ketu you can't cross the road on you foot, except you use the pedestrian bridge. LASTman is always there for you wink

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by CuntDestroyer: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2012
eledalo: Yeah. Cruising down Ikorodu road towards Ikeja in the Beamer - left the 600 Merc with the Misses. The Nat King Cole CD on blast - love that guy's music.

SUDDENLY!! a group of people make a mad dash across the road - able bodied men, people holding children, even some !d!ot carrying a goat across his shoulders (what the heck?).

They all scramble across the road, leaping over the barrier of the BRT lane and putting their lives and the lives of us motorists in danger! All this directly under a pedestrian bridge where others are crossing safely (no car can climb up the bridge to come and hit you) and enjoying the view.

Its like using a screwdiver to clean your ears, while you have cotton buds in front of you.

So the question I have for you is this - Why do Nigerians, most especially Lagosians choose to run across the road when there is a bridge designed and constructed just for them?

It's Lagos for christ sakes and Ikorodu road for that matter not Sunset boulevard, Hollywood CA..

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT Mr. BMW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu60JoFAN78
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by somegirl1: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2012
Fear of heights perhaps.
If i lived in lagos, i'd rather get caught and pay a fine than use a bridge.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2012
Because they are stupid
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by ifyalways(f): 10:12am On Oct 27, 2012
Asides the fact that some of the pedestrian bridges might not be in top notch, I believe its cos of the usual lagos man mentality. The mentality of "short cut and hurry hurry"

Even people that have no "destination" are in a hurry in lagos. Lol. Make we hear say dem dey give free gala and coke for ontop pedestrian bridge, you won't see anyone crossing the highways.

Lagosians love rushing, freebies and disorder.

Eko ile, please there should be a traffic light atleast between jakande roundabout and Igbo efon.take note, please.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by naptu2: 10:13am On Oct 27, 2012

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by slimyem: 10:14am On Oct 27, 2012
strangest: No try am for cele bus stop... Word of advice..
says who??
Hundreds cross that road everyday!!
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by PaulJohn1: 10:14am On Oct 27, 2012
strangest: No try am for cele bus stop... Word of advice..

A good word of advice. Tell them grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 27, 2012
As for me, most times am just too tired to use the bridge. Its like climbing kilimanjaro.
So I just resort to dashing across the road.
And also, sometimes the bridge is often congested that some people collide into one another.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by dabossman(m): 10:21am On Oct 27, 2012
I tire o! There are two very good pedestrian bridges at Oshodi barely 50m apart, yet lazy people dash across the road every minute. Funny thing is, if there were no bridges, these same people would be cursing the government for not providing them.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by aieromon(m): 10:24am On Oct 27, 2012
The rush-rush life.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by ijigbamigb(m): 10:26am On Oct 27, 2012
naptu2: Hm!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/847680_a20ped_jpga23fee70a33a4db6891bdf60a9e3021b

Hahahahaha. LWKMD
Even animals seem to be more law-abiding.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by johnstar(m): 10:27am On Oct 27, 2012
Do u think its easy 4 dm 2 climb dat step , especially all those fat woman wit faaat asss cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by bright007(f): 10:38am On Oct 27, 2012
every John,Dick and Harry is in a hurry to nowhere in Lagosgringringrin
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 27, 2012
Been laughing since, nigeria as a whole is funny!
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 27, 2012
cos Nigeriand love shortcuts in life.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Ishilove: 10:59am On Oct 27, 2012
What da...?? ?

Do I need to change my prescription glasses or am I seeing SHEEP using a pedestrian bridge?? ??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Ishilove: 11:01am On Oct 27, 2012
bright007: every John,Dick and Harry is in a hurry to nowhere in Lagosgringringrin
NL word censor is something else grin grin
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by bestower: 11:02am On Oct 27, 2012
Waste of time....climbing moutain everest.....short cut to hell or alausa are preffered.lagos brain, cheapest brain.lagos rush hour.city of aquatic splendour!
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by lacicrips(m): 11:09am On Oct 27, 2012
Actually I prefer the screw driver to the cotton bud.

Back to your question; everybody is always in a hurry in Lagos.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by Kolade9(m): 11:54am On Oct 27, 2012
The last one i used was a 'shi+ paradise'
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by leunamme93(m): 11:55am On Oct 27, 2012
some-girl:
Fear of heights perhaps.
If i lived in lagos, i'd rather get caught and pay a fine than use a bridge.
Quite agree with you. Imagind a family with kids and when they climb up the bridge their kids start screaming!
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by pheesayor(m): 12:03pm On Oct 27, 2012
that's why the traffic law was designed the way it is, lagosians are so amazing (ironically), #okadaban
ijigbamigb:

Hahahahaha. LWKMD
Even animals seem to be more law-abiding.
Re: Why Don't Lagosians Use Pedestrian Bridges? by eledalo: 12:04pm On Oct 27, 2012

Now that's hilarious grin grin . The people stand at the side of the road while the sheep cross above! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obama Children's Dresses Too Short For Official Trips [photos] / List Of Nigeria's Mineral Resources / Ugwuanyi Swears In Commissioners, Advisers, Retains Uzor As Chief Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.