Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? (8925 Views)

Pastors That Are Poor Were Not Called By God- Uma Ukpai / How Do People Become Atheists / How Did Black People Become Black? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by aruzuoke(m): 8:44pm On Oct 26, 2012
I'm not trying to generalize here. This is just a subjective opinion but I've noticed that people tend to be more spiritual and religious when they are experiencing financial difficulty.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by kpozite(m): 9:05pm On Oct 26, 2012
I 've been in such situation before and being spiritual gave me hope and reason to keep struggling, and when no help is forth coming from any direction as far as one can see there seem then to be few other choice other than to look up to the Almighty who can change one's story completely in an unexpected manner as the pastor preaches.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by pastormustwacc: 9:21pm On Oct 26, 2012
It has to do with "He that is down needs not fear a fall" mentality. Money is a controller of men and nations.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Ifilinwa(f): 8:25am On Oct 27, 2012
Because they are now poor

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 27, 2012
Because when a man is down, he will grab on to anything that gives him hope...
Religion offers this.
Holy lies and fables perfectly tailored to offer solace and hope to the lost and broken hearted..

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 27, 2012
Ah! Is this not a rhetorical question? They want to be rich na,and with all the preaching they hear 4rm properity pastors,its obvious they'll do anything spiritual that promises blessing,wealth,success...eg,they'll fast,pray,give the lil they have as tithes and other 'spiritual things' just to be rich
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by acidtalk: 8:30am On Oct 27, 2012
The Average Nigerian is Callous, Boastful, Arrogant, Miserly, Greedy, Wasteful, and Proud in Nature.

All the traits above he cannot display because of his poor status.

So he tries every means possible to become rich so he can show his real behavior. He turns to religion because that is the cheapest form of hope he receives. He fast and prays 24hours of 365days just to attain financial breakthrough because he is tired of living a fake life of Humility and kindness.

Once God grants him his request, everyone sees the Lucifer in the once believed Angel.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by OmichaelO: 8:40am On Oct 27, 2012
lol...21days dry fasting and prayer
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Wilfredng: 8:41am On Oct 27, 2012
aruzuoke: I'm not trying to generalize here. This is just a subjective opinion but I've noticed that people tend to be more spiritual and religious when they are experiencing financial difficulty.
Maybe because every poor person need a touch from God. There is often a hope to tap from the word of God in Matt 5:1-13. “Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit”.
Your observation is not far from the truth. I get more sober, and focused when I am a bit broke...lol
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Wilfredng: 8:43am On Oct 27, 2012
acidtalk: The Average Nigerian is Callous, Boastful, Arrogant, Miserly, Greedy, Wasteful, and Proud in Nature.

All the traits above he cannot display because of his poor status.

So he tries every means possible to become rich so he can show his real behavior. He turns to religion because that is the cheapest form of hope he receives. He fast and prays 24hours of 365days just to attain financial breakthrough because he is tired of living a fake life of Humility and kindness.

Once God grants him his request, everyone sees the Lucifer in the once believed Angel.

Bolded, sound like an experience though. Good morning my brother, Acid.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by abysirius(m): 8:44am On Oct 27, 2012
Our needs is the reason many of us act the way we do. Every man born of woman has his/her own wants whether material, financial or it might even be his health. We all need God to survive. Believe me; if man were to b sufficient of himself I doubt if he would know God. Or how many church goers that tend to be vry spiritual are doing this for SALVATION reasons and not the challenges they're facing? I sincerely doubt if many of our so called pastors would have even known God if they had been this wealthy in the first instance.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by kemywise: 8:48am On Oct 27, 2012
When a man is poor that will made him closer to His God, so that he will receive from his creator and this automatically will made him more spiritually. http://www..com/
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Akposkool(m): 8:56am On Oct 27, 2012
Its natural.even d Bible said it,n u 4got 2 add that the poor always believes all rich men are sinners.GOD help us all
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by filia4real(m): 8:57am On Oct 27, 2012
When u're down, who do u turn to? Man, no because he'll eventually disappoint u. Devil, no because he'll always demand from u your soul in exchange 4 all his goodies (NB: ur soul is more precious than what he can give). GOD, because only God can save!
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by ITbomb(m): 9:00am On Oct 27, 2012
I don't think it is mainly because they are poor , I ve been there before, when u r low in cash it means u r not doing much to bring the cash , that means u have more time in ur hands than when u r busy chasing money , so it is a good thing that u use that extra free time to meditate , do some church activities and get closer to God.

Wealthy people also do this but in their own way. They may not necessarily go to mid week activities in church but some chip in time at work , they pray and meditate silently so as not to disturb their colleagues and for others they contribute to keeping the house of God neat by paying when they are not available to do the physical work.

This is for sincere born again christians not those going to church believing God for wealth/blessings only.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by CrazyMan(m): 9:02am On Oct 27, 2012
Because they believe that God would have compassion of their poverty and perhaps turn their sorrow to joy, their poverty to riches etc.

Truth is you cannot fool God...

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 27, 2012
I THINK THIS SITUATION ONLY APPLIES TO AFRICANS. IN MORE DEVELOPED PARTS OF THE WORLD PEOPLE SHUN MATERIALISM TO LOOK FOR GOD. I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE WHO GAVE AWAY EVERYTHING THEY HAD TO BE CLOSER TO GOD. RASHIDI YEKINI COMES TO MIND

THE FACT HERE IS THAT IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH, YOU WILL BE DISTRACTED FROM GOD.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Zimzy(m): 9:16am On Oct 27, 2012
It is so because God is the hope of the poor and hopeless
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by seunmustwac: 9:18am On Oct 27, 2012
And still poor, many pastors will still try to force them to tithe if they want to get breakthroughs.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by a1solution: 9:19am On Oct 27, 2012
its better to be more spiritual when poor than going into crime
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by dabossman(m): 9:22am On Oct 27, 2012
Because it is easier to be meek and humble when you are poor. With riches comes a sense of fulfilment that can easily turn to pride. Besides, you don't have to pray to God for things you can easily acquire with money.

That's why Jesus said its easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to make it into God's kingdom. Money is a defence that can make one relegate God. It takes extra grace to be spiritual when you are rich.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by acidtalk: 9:31am On Oct 27, 2012
Wilfred_ng:

Bolded, sound like an experience though. Good morning my brother, Acid.

Goodday, I dey hail oh!
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Serendipity: 9:34am On Oct 27, 2012
aruzuoke: I'm not trying to generalize here. This is just a subjective opinion but I've noticed that people tend to be more spiritual and religious when they are experiencing financial difficulty.
I'm to a reasonable extent at one with you. It has been said that the devil somehow brings us closer to God.
Again, people normally run to God for solutions when they are in one mishap, predicament or the other.
A woman desperately seeking a child will be more disposed to going to church, giving alms etc,. These she will slightly abstain from doing after she must have been granted her heart desires.
Same is applicable to a bachelor in job seeking who will engage in womanizing after gaining a job and making some dough.
Granted, there are people that don't fall prey to such temptation, rather it will increase their closeness to and relationship with God.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Kslib(m): 9:41am On Oct 27, 2012
They are just hoping for a miracle to happen. They are just trying to draw yeye sympathy from GOD. Unfortunately for them,GOD sees the heart and knows those who serve him...
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 27, 2012
People become more spiritual because they think that something spiritual stops or stalls or effects their financial becoming. They almost always in their prayer lines request that God should move the 'stumbling' blocks that prevents them from financial buoyancy. People also see 'Faith and Hope' as elixir of life and hold on top them till 'level change'. This happens to be most usefulness of religion.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by pastormustwacc: 9:46am On Oct 27, 2012
^^^Aye, and that is why many christians worship their pastors too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by Profkomolafe(m): 10:03am On Oct 27, 2012
This tin happen 2 1 igbo man 4 my area, as hm biz dey flourish, he join NDIGBO, as hm biz begin crumble, sharparly he go join prayer warrior 4 lord choosen church.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by stephenponti(m): 10:05am On Oct 27, 2012
RELIGION IS THE OPIUM OF THE PEOPLE , is a statement made By Karl max more than a century ago. The indolence take solace behind the pulpit and some at the pew. BUT SERIOUSLY NO GENERALIZATION. there still exist true worshipers though very minute in number.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by IMMUNO1(m): 10:19am On Oct 27, 2012
Well, as for me, I dnt think it is deliberate, rather, I liken it to the amount of time u spend on Facebook, 2go or BBpinging when u are jobless and when u eventually get a job...hope u got my point....Good!
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by aieromon(m): 10:27am On Oct 27, 2012
We've been made to believe that poverty is a curse from God hence the need to turn to God for help.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by duality(m): 10:30am On Oct 27, 2012
A rich fo0ol who once made this same statement, became spiritual when he had serious health challenges and his money could not save him.

Every one, needs God. rich or poor. only fools think they don't.

The Governor involved in a plane crash will do anything to live. even if it means being ten times spiritual. it has NOTHING to do with your wealth.

Folks, please me weary of these kind of topics its objective, is for you to loose your guard. IF YOU DO, YOU'LL BE SMITTEN.
Re: Why Do People Become More Spiritual When They Are Poor? by mrrock: 10:39am On Oct 27, 2012
This is the mentality that breeds corruption and so much suffering in Nigeria. We are wired to believe one who don't have money is poor. Therefore, everybody is ready to do ANYTHING to make money.
How about somebody who prefere to live a simple modest life?.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Synagogue Building Was Attacked By US - Russian Intelligence / I Wake Up And Have Body Marks, No Clue / Why Did You Choose To Be An Athiest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.