Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Qbasic On Windows Xp - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Qbasic On Windows Xp (7417 Views)

Help With A Small Qbasic Program / How Can I Create Multiplication Table Using Qbasic And Fortran? PLS HELP! / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Qbasic On Windows Xp by sirchilo: 10:17pm On Jan 27, 2008
Plz ppl i want to know how u can run qbasic on windows Xp and i created a calculator but i didnt get it all well so it cant add plz can any one help with the command codes?

cheers
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by princekay1(m): 10:24pm On Jan 27, 2008
o boy make u go computer school now.
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Kobojunkie: 5:45am On Jan 28, 2008
WOW, Qbasic in the year 2008?? WOW !!!!
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by buyolala(m): 5:11am On Jan 29, 2008
hey

i guess you are a polytechnic's newbie type.

though not too bad but frankly man, you need more than that.

be prepared
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Dawid: 5:14am On Jan 29, 2008
sir_chilo:

Please people i want to know how u can run qbasic on windows Xp and[b] i created a calculator[/b] but i didnt get it all well so it can't add plz can any one help with the command codes?
cheers

you must be proud of this calculator eh grin grin
We used Qbasic in 1998 . . .
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by debosky(m): 5:17am On Jan 29, 2008
David don't be mean tongue

dude is starting with the simple basics, support the brother and let him grow. wink
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Dawid: 5:25am On Jan 29, 2008
this brother will be using vBasic in 2018.
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Kobojunkie: 5:38am On Jan 29, 2008
Dāwīḏ:

this brother will be using vBasic in 2018.

LMAO!!!!! GOD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL ,  ,  @Poster, no be to insult you but please, while you dey use Qbasic for school, I suggest you start on your own learning VB.NET or some advanced language out there. I never even see company to high for COBOL for so long talk less of QBasic. I do not know what exactly you are using QBASIC for but I will say RUN from it,  spend more of your time on languages that are actually in use. MOre languages are OOP oriented today than Qbasic could ever have dreamed of being back then, even Javascript will be agreat move in the right direction, in your spare time ( assuming you are actually now learning QBASIC( scary stuff!!!))LMAO!!!

To help you learn VB.NET, visit www.asp.net or some other Microsoft website for more information,
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by ishmael(m): 10:51am On Jan 30, 2008
buyolala:

hey

i guess you are a polytechnic's newbie type.

though not too bad but frankly man, you need more than that.

be prepared

what do you mean by that?? Don't they do QBASIC programming in the Universities?? Infact some universities still do GWBasic till today.
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by alexis(m): 7:43pm On Jan 31, 2008
Good things start from humble beginnings. Get the Qbasic compiler and run your program. I will advice you to try freebasic (I use it to date and it's simple and efficient), you can get it at http://www.freebasic.net/. Good luck
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On Feb 01, 2008
alexis:

Good things start from humble beginnings. Get the Qbasic compiler and run your program. I will advice you to try freebasic (I use it to date and it's simple and efficient), you can get it at http://www.freebasic.net/. Good luck

You have got to be joking with that , LMAOO!!!! good things start from humble beginnings?? OK , dude, please don't do that ever again!!! LMAO!!!! QBASIC is OBSOLETE. Learning QBASIC when you can NEVER get a job with it is STUPIDITY. I am sorry but that is fact. Even childing in grade schools all over start with current languages not OBSOLETE languages which are no where close to or offer what current languages offer. VB is already in it's 9th version and you feel learning Qbasic whichs is about 2 versions before actual VB is wise??

QBasic was intended as a replacement for GW-BASIC. Version 1.0 was shipped together with MS-DOS 5.0 and higher, as well as Windows 95, Windows NT 3.x, and Windows NT 4.0. IBM recompiled QBasic and included it in PCDOS 5.x, as well as OS/2 2.0 onwards. eComStation, decended from OS/2 code, includes QBasic 1.0. QBasic 1.1 is included with MS-DOS 6.x, and, without EDIT, in Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me. Starting with Windows 2000, Microsoft no longer includes QBasic with their operating systems. (But, some localized versions of Windows 2000 and Windows XP still have it.)

It was based on the earlier QuickBASIC 4.5 compiler but without QuickBASIC's compiler and linker elements. Until MS-DOS 7, MS-DOS Editor required QBasic. The "edit.com" program simply started QBasic in editor mode only.

Qbasic (as well as the built-in MS-DOS Editor) is backward compatible with DOS releases prior to 5.0 (down to at least DOS 3.20). However, if used on any 8088/8086 computers, or on some 80286 computers, the Qbasic program may run very slow, or perhaps not at all, due to its memory size.

For its time, QBasic provided a state-of-the-art IDE, including a debugger with features such as on-the-fly expression evaluation and code modification that were still relatively unusual more than ten years later.

QBasic is able to be run natively under nearly all versions of DOS and of Windows, and by using the free DOSBox emulator, it can run on platforms such as Linux and FreeBSD.

QBasic came complete with four pre-written example programs. These were "Nibbles" (a variant of the Snake game), "Gorillas", an explosive-banana throwing game derived from Artillery game first produced on the Tektronix 4051 and later HP 2647, "MONEY MANAGER", a personal finance manager and "RemLine", a GW-BASIC code line number removing program.

Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by alexis(m): 9:11pm On Feb 01, 2008
Thanks for your advice kobojunkie.

I gave a link to freebasic and asked the poster to check it out, have you looked at freebasic?
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by SayoMarvel(m): 2:05pm On Feb 02, 2008
Actually its true that QBaic is quite old and it cannot meet today's standards but the truth is that it is still good as an introduction to programming. I also learnt QBasic for two weeks before I moved to other languages like Java and C++.
I don't blame the people who are making jest of you and at the same time, i blame them because they were only making mouth and they didn't solve your problem. probably they do not no the solution to your problem. I have attached my own personal complete source code and a QBasic interpreter to this post. The source code is CALCULAT.BAS and the QBasic program is QBASIC.EXE
You can also copy the source code from here. This code is one of the work i did in those days, but to keep up with today's standards, i now developed Calculator+.exe which I developed with Java.

REM CALCULATOR DEVELOPED BY OLADEJI OLUWASAYO
REM PRESS F5 ON YOUR KEYBOARD TO RUN THE PROGRAM
REM To operate the calculator input the first number, press enter, input the operation to perform(i.e + - * / sin cos tan ^ &wink, press enter, then input the second number and press enter.
REM + means plus
REM - means minus
REM * means multiply
REM / means divide
REM ^ means raised to the power of(exponential)
REM & means root (e.g square root, cube root, till any number root)

CLS
SCREEN 12
COLOR 15
CIRCLE (50, 50), 90
COLOR 14
CIRCLE (50, 350), 90
COLOR 9
CIRCLE (640, 50), 90
COLOR 5
CIRCLE (640, 350), 90
COLOR 3
CIRCLE (300, 200), 50
COLOR 15
CIRCLE (400, 500), 70
COLOR 12
CIRCLE (260, 420), 60
LINE (100, 100)-(200, 120), 15, BF
LINE (100, 120)-(120, 200), 15, BF
LINE (120, 180)-(200, 200), 15, BF
LINE (180, 200)-(200, 280), 15, BF
LINE (180, 260)-(100, 280), 15, BF
LINE (220, 100)-(240, 280), 15, BF
LINE (300, 100)-(320, 280), 15, BF
LINE (240, 100)-(300, 120), 15, BF
LINE (240, 180)-(300, 200), 15, BF
LINE (340, 100)-(360, 200), 15, BF
LINE (420, 100)-(440, 200), 15, BF
LINE (380, 200)-(400, 280), 15, BF
LINE (360, 180)-(420, 200), 15, BF
LINE (460, 100)-(560, 280), 15, BF
LINE (480, 120)-(540, 260), 0, BF
SOUND 300, 5
SOUND 500, 5
SOUND 700, 5
SOUND 900, 5
SOUND 1100, 5
SOUND 1300, 5
SOUND 1500, 5
SOUND 1700, 5
INPUT "press enter to continue"; ENTER
45 DIM A AS DOUBLE
DIM OPERATION AS STRING
DIM B AS DOUBLE
DIM RESULT AS SINGLE
DIM CONT AS STRING
CONST PI = 3.141592654#
CLS
COLOR 10
PRINT "CALCULATOR"
PRINT " "
INPUT A
INPUT OPERATION
INPUT B
IF OPERATION = "+" THEN
RESULT = A + B
PRINT A; " PLUS "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "-" THEN
RESULT = A - B
PRINT A; " MINUS "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "*" THEN
RESULT = A * B
PRINT A; " MULTIPLIED BY "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "/" THEN
RESULT = A / B
PRINT A; " DIVIDED BY "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "^" THEN
RESULT = A ^ B
PRINT A; " RAISED TO POWER "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "&" THEN
RESULT = B ^ (1 / A)
PRINT A; " ROOT "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "SIN" THEN
RESULT = A * (SIN(B * (PI / 180)))
PRINT A; " MULTIPLIED BY SIN "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "COS" THEN
RESULT = A * (COS(B * (PI / 180)))
PRINT A; " MULTIPLIED BY COS "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "TAN" THEN
RESULT = A * (TAN(B * (PI / 180)))
PRINT A; " MULTIPLIED BY TAN "; B; " = "; RESULT
END IF
IF OPERATION = "+" OR OPERATION = "-" OR OPERATION = "*" OR OPERATION = "/" OR OPERATION = "^" OR OPERATION = "&" OR OPERATION = "SIN" OR OPERATION = "COS" OR OPERATION = "TAN" THEN
PRINT " "
ELSE
PRINT "INVALID OPERATION"
END IF
INPUT "press enter to continue"; ENTER
CLS
INPUT "DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE (Y or N)"; CONT
IF CONT = "Y" THEN
GOTO 45
ELSE
END
END IF
REM This is the end of the code.

To operate the calculator input the first number, press enter, input the operation to perform(i.e + - * / sin cos tan ^ &wink, press enter, then input the second number and press enter.
+ means plus
- means minus
* means multiply
/ means divide
^ means raised to the power of(exponential)
& means root (e.g square root, cube root, till any number root)

If you have any problems on programming, contact marvelindaclub@yahoo.com

peace out,
-Sayo Oladeji wink wink wink
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Kobojunkie: 5:25pm On Feb 02, 2008
SIGH!!!!

No one is making fun of him but simply stating he is better off spending more of his time on things that actually are still in use. Is telling a man that to become a doctor he has to spend time learning and practising how our ancestors used to cut leaves and consult juju for cures. will help him catch up with his colleagues?? I am guessing you did not learn Qbasic in 2008 for you to know what you know now
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by ishmael(m): 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2008
Most schools in Nigeria still do QBasic. The guy probably is still a student and QBasic happens to be the programming language they are starting with. Nobody is saying that QBasic is not old; but Nigerian schools still teach them. most universities in Nigeria still do QBASIC, FORTRAN, PASCAL and COBOL which people obviously will call obsolete languages. If you were to be in the guy's shoes would you tell ur lecturer, HOD or VC that you will not offer those courses??
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Feb 04, 2008
There has to be a way the students from many of these schools can get together to tell their teachers they need better. I mean I did my computer science degree program back in 2003 and I worked on C++ then before the school switched to teaching Java cause it seemed the market had moved to Java then. Fortran had been phased out of the curriculum by the end of the 1990's and COBOL was also removed by 2000. I believe even HTML classes were removed back in 2002 and XML was put in by 2000.

I am not sure but I think they have moved to teaching another language by now, maybe c# or even C# and Java cause my Masters program offers an option of both C# and Java. I really think there is a way for the students to fight for the schools curriculum to try to be current with what is going on out there.
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by rookie(m): 7:50pm On Feb 04, 2008
SayoMarvel - Nice one for helping the guy out!

I doubt that most programmers end up working with their first (learned) programming language. Many schools utilize simple or primitive programming languages to BRIEFLY introduce programming to students then they switch to other advanced languages. To determine which generation of programming language is the most suitable in learning programming is outside the scope of this thread. Criticizing the poor guy's choice of programming language doesn't help his situation either, If in the first place you do not know if it is a school requirement.
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by ishmael(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2008
rookie:

Criticizing the poor guy's choice of programming language doesn't help his situation either, If in the first place you do not know if it is a school requirement.

It is a school requirement in most Nigerian universities. I say they still do Basic programming. Some Computer Science and Engineering students do FORTRAN too.

The funniest thing is that most of the lecturers are used to the older versions of these languages and as such find it very difficult to teach the newer versions. Some lecturers teach students GW-BASIC with line numbers and not even QBASIC; some lecturers teach students FORTRAN 77 and not FORTRAN 90, why?? Simple, they are not used to the newer languages and NUC has refused to update and overhaul their curricula.
Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by SayoMarvel(m): 11:43am On Feb 15, 2008
Please note that the "because" in that QBasic calculator source code is "COS".
Also note that all trigonometric functions are in capital letters i.e Sine is typed as SIN, Cosine is typed as COS and tangent is typed as TAN.
I also have a Calculator that I programmed in Java. Full GUI(Mouse Support), More Functionalities(Base Conversion), More User Friendly (atleast more than that of QBasic), and its layout is tailored to suit SUBSTANCE look and feel. So if you don't have it, the program may not look nice to you. I will attach that Calculator that I made with JAVA so that this our man that wants to learn QBasic will see why people said he should not waste his time on it. Just unzip It and execute "Calculator.class". I also found out that the QBasic.exe I posted earlier may not work, so I have attached another one that is working.
Good Luck Programmers,

Me, Myself & I.

Re: Qbasic On Windows Xp by fasanD1(m): 6:51pm On Feb 15, 2008
good coding SayoMarvel

am also a qbasic programmer before, but now people are not really value this compiler anymore

good coding and grace

(1) (Reply)

Web Vs Software Development / Were Can I Download Free Video Tutorials On Javascript Or Ruby / Www.sunnewsonline.com Has Been Hijacked : Warning!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.