Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,758 members, 7,798,534 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. (3768 Views)

Discovering Purpose And Maximizing Potential / “I Am Gay. And God Loves Me.” / The Purpose And Usefulness Of Certain End-time Biblical Prophecies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 9:43am On Oct 28, 2012
Whenever I think about the personality of the Judeo Christian God, I feel the awe of his impressive and superpowerful being. An omniscient, omnipotent, all great, self sufficient, selfexistent, perfect being. And he is accepted by most as the best explanation for the world.

But I'm struck by his person, he is too perfect and too satisfied and too independent to create us, our creation would not add any more of his essence, it wouldn't make him any happier or any more perfect. Rather we'd be purposeless toys with zero value.

We'd be a waste of love, care, concern. We'd be insufficient. He wouldn't have created us at all.

3 Likes

Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by truthislight: 10:28am On Oct 28, 2012
Kay 17: Whenever I think about the personality of the Judeo Christian God, I feel the awe of his impressive and superpowerful being. An omniscient, omnipotent, all great, self sufficient, selfexistent, perfect being. And he is accepted by most as the best explanation for the world.

But I'm struck by his person, he is too perfect and too satisfied and too independent to create us, our creation would not add any more of his essence, it wouldn't make him any happier or any more perfect. Rather we'd be purposeless toys with zero value.

We'd be a waste of love, care, concern. We'd be insufficient. He wouldn't have created us at all.

coming from you, it should be viewed with scepticism.

Care to expound on what you have in mind?

Infact, you can just go on and on and let us keep on reading to know what you are saying.

Who knows what?
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by okeyxyz(m): 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2012
Our Ultimate purpose:
To be the manifestation of God, in spirit and in Flesh. God cannot sin(this is the source of all creativity/miracles) and God cannot die.

As per God cannot sin: Man(christian) needs to realize that there's nothing natural(that he does) that can be sin. This is what christ has accomplished in conscience by representing THE LAW(the power of sin) and dying, therefore this law and it's decrees are legally defeated. Yes, Even sex between unmarried, consenting adults cannot be sin, for we are se.xual beings, born of sex and our nature demands it. But sadly, "everybody" still defines sex, fornication and marriage based on THE LAW that we're supposed to be free from.

1 Like

Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by DeepSight(m): 4:27pm On Oct 28, 2012
Kay 17: Whenever I think about the personality of the Judeo Christian God, I feel the awe of his impressive and superpowerful being. An omniscient, omnipotent, all great, self sufficient, selfexistent, perfect being. And he is accepted by most as the best explanation for the world.

Imagine God as the sun and creation as the rays of the sun.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:30pm On Oct 28, 2012

Which is why Pagan Gods are symbolically depicted as a balance between Good amd evil. for example the Gods, Zeus (Greek) and Indra (Indo-Persian) used to be mschieveous at times.

many Pagan religions have trixter Gods who are a mixture of Good and evil. such as COyote in Native AMerican beliefs and Esu (Yoruba).
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by alexleo(m): 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2012

God is so big that we cant know everything about through all eternity. He is a spirit and cannot be understood by flesh. U dont even understsnd him by just reading the bible but by reading it through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by thehomer: 6:24pm On Oct 28, 2012
Deep Sight:

Imagine God as the sun and creation as the rays of the sun.

Why? What is this comparison supposed to show?
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by plaetton: 6:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
alexleo:

God is so big that we cant know everything about through all eternity. He is a spirit and cannot be understood by flesh. U dont even understsnd him by just reading the bible but by reading it through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Ho ho Ho.
Let me get this straight. If god cannot be understood, then what the #@%^ is religion all about? Is religion not just a waste of everyone's time. Why make so much noise about something that cannot, and can never be understood?
Religion is redundant and superflous. Not so?
All those priests, pastors, Imams, Rabbis are all liars. They kow not what the %%##$$ they are talking about. they are just there for the power, control and money. Do you agree?

And what the &%#@ is the holy spirit? Is that similar to the buzz that people feel when under the influence of hallucinegenic drugs? Pls elaborate.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by UjSizzle(f): 6:54pm On Oct 28, 2012
Our God is completely indescribable.

Our purpose is to please God; in everything we do. If our actions don't bring glory to his name, then it aint right.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by alexleo(m): 9:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
plaetton:

Ho ho Ho.
Let me get this straight. If god cannot be understood, then what the #@%^ is religion all about? Is religion not just a waste of everyone's time. Why make so much noise about something that cannot, and can never be understood?
All those priests, pastors, Imams, Rabbis are all liars. They kow not what the %%##$$ they are talking about. they are just there for the power, control and money. Do you agree?

And what the &%#@ is the holy spirit? Is that similar to the buzz that people feel when under the influence of hallucinegenic drugs? Pls elaborate.

Sorry, God is so precious to me and too big for me to reduce him to a subject of argument with you or any aetheists or whosoever. Gone are the days i engaged in such foolishness. Thanks.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by truthislight: 10:33pm On Oct 28, 2012
plaetton:

Ho ho Ho.

find out, he may be a catholic.

Their God is a mystery.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by alexleo(m): 10:10am On Oct 29, 2012
truthislight:

find out, he may be a catholic.

Their God is a mystery.

If u call yourself a christian and you dont understand what i wrote just like that atheist up there then u ar e deceiving yourself in christianity. Of course you are among the people here spreading false and cheap gospel so i can understand your problem. And who cares about your catholic?
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Image123(m): 11:02am On Oct 29, 2012
so thehomer still dey this nl! i thought it had changed handle perhaps.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by truthislight: 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
alexleo:

If u call yourself a christian and you dont understand what i wrote just like that atheist up there then u ar e deceiving yourself in christianity. Of course you are among the people here spreading false and cheap gospel so i can understand your problem. And who cares about your catholic?

thank you my friend.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 9:34am On Oct 30, 2012
No one apart from Deepsight and uj has addressed my OP, what is our purpose to God and how does that affect his essence.

If God is indescrible or unknown, is that this question is irrelevant or eternally unknown?
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Image123(m): 10:52am On Oct 30, 2012
Kay 17: No one apart from Deepsight and uj has addressed my OP, what is our purpose to God and how does that affect his essence.

If God is indescrible or unknown, is that this question is irrelevant or eternally unknown?
do you believe in God?
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 3:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
No.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Image123(m): 4:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
Kay 17: No.
oops, i won't answer then, sorry.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by okeyxyz(m): 5:43pm On Oct 30, 2012

Image123: do you believe in God?

Kay 17: No.

Really? Then why the heck do you go about trying to understand or justify/judge the morality/principles of a god you don't believe exists? You are just like @logicboy. I'd expect an atheist to make an argument on how he thinks god cannot possible exist, or how theists misunderstand and are misled, in other words, trying to point us all to the correct interpretation of this god phenomena. But all you can come up with are arguments like:

"Hmm.., I like these characters of god, but i don't like these characters of god...".

Really Does this make sense for an atheist? Like @logicboy, you totally defeat logic itself. You are confused!!.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
That's why its a discussion. At the very least God exists as a fantasy, yet we'd have something to discuss. Atheists do get involved in talks about eternity, spirituality, divinity, the problem of evil. Etc.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by tpia5: 6:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
i'm not familiar with the op but my perspective on your question is

there's a creation which was set in motion [namely the universe both seen and unseen], and man has his place in the greater scheme of things.

man's existence does not add or remove from God's glory, but man's existence does make a difference on the earth.

now, having said all that, are you an atheist because if so, my post isnt necessarily meant for you.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 6:17pm On Oct 30, 2012
Why so considering God's character
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by DeepSight(m): 10:34pm On Oct 31, 2012
thehomer:

Why? What is this comparison supposed to show?

That creation is the natural outward radiation of that eternal element that is called God.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by plaetton: 11:06pm On Oct 31, 2012
Deep Sight:

That creation is the natural outward radiation of that eternal element that is called God.

You mean the outward embodiment of that eternal notion(not element) called god.

To call something an element implies that it is tangible, observable or discernable.

God can be much better defined as an eternal notion. A notion that takes many forms and characteristics from culture to culture and from era to era.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by UyiIredia(m): 12:13am On Nov 01, 2012
Kay 17: That's why its a discussion. At the very least God exists as a fantasy, yet we'd have something to discuss. Atheists do get involved in talks about eternity, spirituality, divinity, the problem of evil. Etc.

God is not a fantasy. What is a fantasy is believing that God doesn't exist.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by UyiIredia(m): 12:18am On Nov 01, 2012
It's in God's nature to create. I don't think humans are a waste of His time considering all that is good in the world. Besides it's possible He created the universe because He was tired of being alone.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by plaetton: 5:33am On Nov 01, 2012
Uyi Iredia: It's in God's nature to create. I don't think humans are a waste of His time considering all that is good in the world. Besides it's possible He created the universe because He was tired of being alone.

This one is classic.
Please , kindly tell us or even speculate as to how long god must have been alone before the loneliness got the better of him.

Finally, an admission from a religionist that indeed, god needs man to feel ok.
Now it makes a lot of sense why god gets angry when man rejects him. No one likes to be rejected, especially after many eons of loneliness in the cold void of space.
Poor god. He now realizes that creating man was not such a great idea afterall. So much for an all-knowing and all-wise god.

But wait!
What about jesus, the holy ghost, and the host of angels? Where were they when god was lonely?
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 9:33am On Mar 17, 2013
My conclusion thereof is:

God is incomprehensible OR

God was lonely and unsatisfied OR

Creation was an automated character of God.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 17, 2013
Following this thread for later. Kay 17, it's a pity I can't stay long but this is, by my reckoning, the most sensible question I have seen on Nairaland. I think it deserves study because, answered correctly, I believe it answers all existential questions.

Hmm, why would a God like Yahweh create anything?

Well, later, man.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by Kay17: 3:19pm On Mar 17, 2013
Looking forward to it.
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by okeyxyz(m): 6:11am On Mar 18, 2013
Kay 17: My conclusion thereof is:

God is incomprehensible OR
True, but mostly to the secular\literal mind.

God was lonely and unsatisfied OR
Again! Secular thinking.

Creation was an automated character of God.
A natural character of god. Don't know what you mean by "automated"
Re: Our Ultimate Purpose And God's Nature. by LordReed(m): 8:10pm On Mar 18, 2013
As I have stated elsewhere in this forum, I believe someday we will be able to "find" God and other spiritual phenomena with the aid of scientific processes. At the time I said this I was unaware of a new scientific frontier called Noetic Science. Apparently some people are studying what spiritual phenomena really is using scientific processes. Maybe this will be the start of bridging the gap between what science knows and religions believe.

Now as to the core of the OP I would say you can only understand the part of the nature of God He has revealed. You must understand that not all has been revealed, answers to questions such as the origins of God will for now will lie in the realm of speculation.

As for our purpose on earth I will go with "evolution". The scriptures declare "Ye are gods and all of you children of the Most High but you die. . ." We are supposed to "come of age" as children will naturally do as they grow. God's design for us is co-regents in this universe. His ideal is for us to be entrusted with the power to create on the same scale as Him. Atheist or no you will agree as to man's creative ability and yet I will say that we have yet to realise our true potential.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? / Collection Of Atheist Memes / Is Juju/jazz/charm Real? Then I Want To See It.....send Me Mail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.