Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,080 members, 7,807,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

"I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? (60325 Views)

What's The English Word For "Shakara" / Funny Facts About English Language / New Word In The English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nitlad: 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: There is no need to call names because of differences in opinions. I share the view that English language is a destructive influence in Nigeria and Africa generally.Northern Nigeria has a slightly different story.
It is a mistake to believe MOST Nigerians speak or understand English. Anyone who is familiar with Northern Nigeria knows this is simply not true.
Quite often you hear Nigerians boasting to other Africans about Achebe or Wole Soyinka.
Here is some food for thought; Achebe has been translated into dozens of languages apparently but has his "Things Fall Apart " been translated into Igbo, could it possibly be better appreciated in any other language than Igbo?Has it been translated into ANY African language.
No one is saying we should not learn English but we should not "shame" ourselves for shortcomings like "Shina Peters and his Soonest Recover". We get that all the time from many other Nationalities.
What is more shameful is our shortcomings in OUR OWN languages and our clear desire to commit linguistic suicide in the name of "CIVILIZATION". YES LEARN ENGLISH BUT LEARN YOUR OWN LANGUAGE FIRST AND MORE any contrary practice is self destructive. IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE FOR A YORUBA MAN TO BE CIVILIZED AND EDUCATED WITHOUT A WORD OF ENGLISH Sadly fewer and fewer of our people believe this and that is the nub of the matter; by default we have decided our languages should die without considering the implications for our self esteem.

I think this work Decolonising the Mind: The Politics of Language in African Literature by Ngugi wa Thiong’o is an introduction to some pertinent ideas though I do not agree with him 100% what is key is we realise OUR languages are dying and we are CHEERING
That's the point to be emphasized. Innit? It's insignificant seeking perfection or crucifying someone for not being perfect in a language that probably is their 2nd, 3rd or even fourth language! More so when the language varies as much as English does. You can't always fault people for not keeping up with the variations. Heck, even some of the people who the language is their first and only language are horrible users themselves.
Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Niyi Osundare et al; hard as they may try, will never match Williams Shakespear, Albert Sidney Hornby, Harold Edward Palmer and their ilk ti!t for tat when it comes to the usage of English language. In the same vein, Suzanne Wenger go quench for where Adebayo Faleti take dey vibe Yoruba.
I make bold to say, the world over, no language can successfully and expressly interprete the thoughts and sayings of a given language the way the first language puts it or intends it to be without some form of adulteration.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Elebiju: 3:33pm On Oct 31, 2012
According to research the brain rearranges words to understanding so it deosnt matter if wrods are mispelet or not waht matters msot is if the fisrt and lsat lettres of each sentnece are splet corretcly like I'm diong now so if u cnat understnad my commnet you are physcologiacly unbalnaced u are fere to qoute or commnet

2 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by caukerzee(m): 3:34pm On Oct 31, 2012
@redsun na inferiority complex dey worry you. You didn't still answer my questions. When you give me answers to the qestions, then we would talk. But for now i still regard you as a pathetic frustrated being suffering frow low self esteem. For now you still reamain the monkey here.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 3:36pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0:
Gatekeepers? You don't need anyone's permission to be gatekeepers and that is the problem really (INFERIORITY COMPLEX)
Did Americans,Australians Indians South Africans take anyone's permission ? No ! They just went on and created forms that have utility for them. They wrote books and made films and if you wanted to access that material you did it on their own terms and now we talk of "Indian English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English,South African English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_English but NOT Nigerian English. Today many Africans know the words; Chineke,Oga etc or the typically Nigerian constructions. Please now,Sorry now,Oya now Are you less busy,Yes oh etc.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to imply. Anybody can create a new word or slang but will it be widely accepted out of the region of use? In other words, can the slang find its way into a dictionary used in first world countries or formal environment? I don't really see how this is an issue of "inferiority complex".

In my line of work, you're allowed to be your own lexicographer, which means that I can define/re-define any word as I see fit but that definition will only be pertinent to my document. The same holds true for slang until it is widely accepted as “proper” usage. For example sexting made it into the dictionary.

Language exists as a means of communication and there are widely accepted rules on what’s deemed proper. Since you seem to be advocating for unilaterally changing the Language, why not change the rules while you’re at it? Why not unilaterally declare the new craze of shorthand SMS typing as an accepted way of communicating officially?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 31, 2012
caseless: na so....i cant even type or read a word in my language...do u knw how shameful that is? And i'm here defending my adopted language(english). During the EZE ndigbo election, u dont knw how impressed i was seeing igbo boys typin in their language. May u live long, nwanyi!

I can type a little. Reading is difficult for me. I understand by ear though. It is embarrassing, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it. There are websites where you can learn the Igbo language. I even have an app on my iPhone that I practice every now and then. I type Igbo to my cousins as well when I'm sending emails, and they reply their own and correct me if I've made errors.

I believe you when you say you're impressed. As was I. You can join that club too lol. Just apply yourself and be patient. smiley
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 4:07pm On Oct 31, 2012
Wallie:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to imply. Anybody can create a new word or slang but will it be widely accepted out of the region of use? In other words, can the slang find its way into a dictionary used in first world countries or formal environment? I don't really see how this is an issue of "inferiority complex".

In my line of work, you're allowed to be your own lexicographer, which means that I can define/re-define any word as I see fit but that definition will only be pertinent to my document. The same holds true for slang until it is widely accepted as “proper” usage. For example sexting made it into the dictionary.

Language exists as a means of communication and there are widely accepted rules on what’s deemed proper. Since you seem to be advocating for unilaterally changing the Language, why not change the rules while you’re at it? Why not unilaterally declare the new craze of shorthand SMS typing as an accepted way of communicating officially?
I did not misunderstand you at all.

What is the purpose of language is the fundamental question. Once we establish that we are getting somewhere. I think the number of users is what determines whether it is a language or some side show . The purpose of language IN NIGERIA i repeat in NIGERIA is for communication among Nigerians. Once that purpose is served it is a language and it is on that basis that we have as I pointed out Indian English etc . The purpose of Indian English is not to communicate with the First World or with Djinn or angels so what do you mean by WIDELY ACCEPTED out of the region.

The rules of American grammar are quite distinct from British Grammar. I gave the example of the use of reflexive pronouns as subject eg come and speak to myself which is incorrect in British grammar there are other examples. Most nauseating of all is your phrase dictionary used in first world country. That captures all you are about what Achebe and many others have lamented about.
I do not need first world people to tell me how to talk to my countrymen. In Nigeria when we say "they have taken light" or I am belleful there is no ambiguity what is meant and we don't need first world countries to validate this. In fact I will go as far as saying if you do not understand those phrases you are NOT NIGERIAN.
Our authors need the self confidence to write these without explanation and those who do not know can buy dictionaries of Nigerian English that is the way to go
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: I did not misunderstand you at all.

What is the purpose of language is the fundamental question. Once we establish that we are getting somewhere. I think the number of users is what determines whether it is a language or some side show . The purpose of language IN NIGERIA i repeat in NIGERIA is for communication among Nigerians. Once that purpose is served it is a language and it is on that basis that we have as I pointed out Indian English etc . The purpose of Indian English is not to communicate with the First World or with Djinn or angels so what do you mean by WIDELY ACCEPTED out of the region.

The rules of American grammar are quite distinct from British Grammar. I gave the example of the use of reflexive pronouns as subject eg come and speak to myself which is incorrect in British grammar there are other examples. Most nauseating of all is your phrase dictionary used in first world country. That captures all you are about what Achebe and many others have lamented about.
I do not need first world people to tell me how to talk to my countrymen. In Nigeria when we say "they have taken light" or I am belleful there is no ambiguity what is meant and we don't need first world countries to validate this. In fact I will go as far as saying if you do not understand those phrases you are NOT NIGERIAN.
Our authors need the self confidence to write these without explanation and those who do not know can buy dictionaries of Nigerian English that is the way to go

Oga, I think you’re misplacing your frustration! So you already figured out what I’m about? So much for thinking that I’m a complex human being! shocked

Contrary to what you said, Language serves as a means of communicating to ANYBODY that understands said language. Over time, a language becomes formalized, at least the lucky ones.

No foreigner or oyinbo man can tell Nigerians how to speak our native dialects or even English for that matter. Shebi we dey speak pidgin as we like? However, if we need to communicate formally with the “outside world”, there are established rules on what is proper or what a word means. Or are you saying that Nigerians will only communicate with Nigerians?

English, be it American, British or Australian, is an established language with peculiar or nuanced rules and definitions. You or any other Nigerian cannot unilaterally decide to change the rules or definitions of established grammar as it is widely accepted; hence, my mention of English dictionary.

However, there’s absolutely NOTHING stopping Nigerians from creating Nigerian-English with its own set of nuances, words or phrases. Like I alluded to earlier, our pidgin is replete with words from Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa languages and our form of pidgin is slightly different from that spoken in Ghana and Sierra Leone but the last I checked, Nigerian pidgin English is still an informal language.

Further, the examples you gave above are just simplified use of English (pidgin). Belleful = is just a contraction of “belly is full”. They have taken light = is a bad translation of “won ti mu ina lo.”
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by anintia(m): 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2012
Dude, english is not our native language
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 5:24pm On Oct 31, 2012
Wallie:

Oga, I think you’re misplacing your frustration! So you already figured out what I’m about? So much for thinking that I’m a complex human being! shocked

Contrary to what you said, Language serves as a means of communication to ANYBODY that understands said language. Over time, a language becomes formalized, at least the lucky ones.

No foreigner or oyinbo man can tell Nigerians how to speak our native dialects or even English for that matter. Shebi we dey speak pidgin as we like? However, if we need to communicate formally with the “outside world”, there are established rules on what is proper or what a word means. Or are you saying that Nigerians will only communicate with Nigerians?

English, be it American, British or Australian, is an established language with peculiar or nuanced rules and definitions. You or any other Nigerian cannot unilaterally decide to change the rules or definitions of established grammar as it is widely accepted; hence, my mention of English dictionary.

However, there’s absolutely NOTHING stopping Nigerians from creating Nigerian-English with its own set of nuances, words or phrases. Like I alluded to earlier, our pidgin is replete with words from Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa languages and our form of pidgin is slightly different from that spoken in Ghana and Sierra Leone but the last I checked, Nigerian pidgin English is still an informal language.

Further, the examples you gave above are just simplified use of English (pidgin). Belleful = is just a contraction of “belly is full”. They have taken light = is a bad translation of “won ti mu ina lo.”
You seem to like sounding off. Languages evolve on their own and rules are not set in stone. How that evolution develops remains to be seen. Certainly if a large enough population are happy with it that is a matter for them internally whether others choose to delineate it as ANOTHER language or a different form is a different matter. I made the point of Indian and South African English but you are more interested in your "FIRST WORLD" examples. If they were THE SAME with the SAME rules there would not be a need for distinction. AMOS TUTUOLA wrote in his own distinct style and still won wide acclaim. Major authors like Achebe have commented on the difficulty of expressing AFRICAN THOUGHT in English . The point is simple if English as we know it does not meet our needs we can change it what is important is that the change is structured and orderly. Yoruba itself has changed since the time of Samuel Ajayi-Crowther. English itself has its widespread acceptance because of its changeability.The rules change all the time. The kind of English Achebe learnt in school is no longer spoken these days and this is less than a 100 years ago.

Belleful is NOT pidgin it is a Nigerian word with a meaning clear to ALL Nigerians In its early days it would have been right to call it pidgin NOT ANYMORE.
there is nothing stopping Nigerians yes and they are already doing so The process is HAPPENING and those who have eyes can see We have a form that is intelligible to people from Sierra Leone to Cameroon but That is not First world enough for you so it is "PIDGIN"
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by redsun(m): 5:53pm On Oct 31, 2012
caukerzee: @redsun na inferiority complex dey worry you. You didn't still answer my questions. When you give me answers to the qestions, then we would talk. But for now i still regard you as a pathetic frustrated being suffering frow low self esteem. For now you still reamain the monkey here.

What other answers do you want when it is quite obvious that you are mentally enslave?You got know really what the english think of animals lkie you,that you will how repulsive it is to want to imitate them.That animals like you a pieces shi-t,for the mere fact that you dont have originality,you dont have precedences you can call your own.

That is why they respect their pets more that africans.And do i really blame them?No,when animals like you shows it all that blackman is a zombie is is born to copy blindly,and never copies ell.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 5:55pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: You seem to like sounding off. Languages evolve on their own and rules are not set in stone. How that evolution develops remains to be seen. Certainly if a large enough population are happy with it that is a matter for them internally whether others choose to delineate it as ANOTHER language or a different form is a different matter. I made the point of Indian and South African English but you are more interested in your FIRST WORLD examples. If they were THE SAME with the SAME rules there would not be a need for distinction. AMOS TUTUOLA wrote in his own distinct style and still won wide acclaim. Major authors like Achebe have commented on the difficulty of expressing AFRICAN THOUGHT in English . The point is simple if English as we know it does not meet our needs we can change it what is important is that the change is structured and orderly. Yoruba itself has changed since the time of Samuel Ajayi-Crowther. English itself has its widespread acceptance because of its changeability.The rules change all the time. The kind of English Achebe learnt in school is no longer spoken these days and this is less than a 100 years ago.

Belleful is NOT pidgin it is a Nigerian word with a meaning clear to ALL Nigerians In its early days it would have been right to call it pidgin NOT ANYMORE.
there is nothing stopping Nigerians yes and they are already doing so The process is HAPPENING and those who have eyes can see

You seem to be all over the place with your argument! Can you succinctly tell me what your position is because I’ve lost sight of it as it seems you now have Romnesia.

Of course languages do change over time, which was why I cited the example of sexting now being included in the dictionary!

My points are as follows:
1. Anybody can create a new word but it will remain a slang until it is widely accepted by the gatekeepers. Whether you like it or not, there are established bodies that are widely accepted, either by default or being chosen, as the custodians of English language and such company includes the Oxford University Press. They make the change by formalizing slang that has gained traction over time. See what I did there? “Gained traction” is a slang that means prominence.

2. If you change any language unilaterally, you cannot expect such change to become widely accepted unless it is widely known, like 419.

3. Nigerian-English will remain Nigerian-English and will only serve the purpose of communicating to Nigerians and not the outside world unless formalized or understood by the outside world.

4. South African English and Indian English are perfectly fine for communicating with South Africans and Indians, respectively but not for communicating with the outside world unless formalized or the audience understands it. Isn't that the purpose of language after all? How can you communicate bilaterally if the rules of communication are only known by one side?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 6:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
I refer you to my previous answers you have nothing new to say to me and I have nothing new to say to you.In your own mind you made sense to me it all gibberish Established bodies custodians etc has NOTHING TO do with us in NIGERIA . That is for them NOT us and you only display your inferiority complex with that kind of thinking. Americans do not refer to Oxford neither do Australians or Indians so why should we??

I do not share your complex about being a third world speaker of English. What I am more interested in is Getting people to take pride in their own languages whether indigenous or acquired and modified
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by redsun(m): 6:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
Language is like a fast running stream,it is dynamic and it moves along as time moves on.

As people develop mentally,so is their languge.They move along side by side and never the same thing at any given time,unless of course the language of the people that are not evolving.The people that have lost their language,that have lost their birth rights,their intuitive and instinctive connection to the mother earth.

A people without common sense like nigerian elders(leaders).
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 6:35pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0: I refer you to my previous answers you have nothing new to say to me and I have nothing new to say to you.In your own mind you made sense to me it all gibberish Established bodies custodians etc has NOTHING TO do with us in NIGERIA . That is for them NOT us and you only display your inferiority complex with that kind of thinking. Americans do not refer to Oxford neither do Australians or Indians so why should we??

I do not share your complex about being a third world speaker of English. What I am more interested in is Getting people to take pride in their own languages whether indigenous or acquired and modified

What is it with this your fascination with "inferiority complex"? I chose not to address it earlier not because I didn’t see it but felt that you resulted to ad hominem attacks because you lacked the capacity to get your points across!

Who has inferiority complex? My guy, I make people feel inferior just like I did to you and not the other way around! I’m one cocky African and I can back it up anywhere, anytime, or any day against ANYBODY!

Go ahead and keep on arguing with kids just so you could appear smart, local champion!
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by aribisala0(m): 7:18pm On Oct 31, 2012
Wallie:

What is it with this your fascination with "inferiority complex"? I chose not to address it earlier not because I didn’t see it but felt that you resulted to ad hominem attacks because you lacked the capacity to get your points across!

Who has inferiority complex? My guy, I make people feel inferior just like I did to you and not the other way around! I’m one cocky African and I can back it up anywhere, anytime, or any day against ANYBODY!

Go ahead and keep on arguing with kids just so you could appear smart, local champion!
Local champion? would be your papa not me?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Yeske2(m): 7:52pm On Oct 31, 2012
solomon ofremu: THERE IS THIS EXPRESION I USUALLY HERE WHENEVER A SPEECH IS BEEN MADE AMONG SOME INTELLEGENT NIGERIANS THAT ENLISH IS NOT EXPRESSIONAL IS THIS TRUE FRIENDS ?
Punctuations please and try read up that post Of yours again.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Wallie(m): 8:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0:
Local champion? would be your papa not me?

Lol…since you're asking a question, I called YOU a local champion and NOT your papa! Hey, if you step your game up and learn to string a few coherent thoughts together, you might earn a sit at the adult-table with heavy weights from a different locality! For now, you remain the undisputed local champion in the midst of primary school kids from your area! Agbaya! grin
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 9:35pm On Oct 31, 2012
aribisala0:
Leave English alone .That "Engish is our official language" is that reality? How many Nigerians understand English.
Northern Nigeria is the least burdened by Colo Mentality in Nigeria and we foolishly look down on them for not speaking English
which part of the north are u talking about?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 9:45pm On Oct 31, 2012
ciphoenix: imagine. Vib.rator is now presented as Romance-Machine. What if it was used in another context? The meaning'll be lost then. Seun has to step back a bit
and eja'culation is now 'expulsion'....na person wey them expel from skool? I laff
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 10:08pm On Oct 31, 2012
bealuv:
lol it means "d dog wey go lost no go hear d hunter's whistle"
hahahahahahaha...una no go kill person with laff sake of say i join nairaland....yea that was in english.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Caseless: 10:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Timijo: I demand an apology from you, for insulting me.[/
Timijo:
[color=blue]I laughed at your comment. What have I said to deserve this insult? Anyway, you may insult me, but I will not, because I don't know you, but I know myself.
color]
word...i de feel dis guy!
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by CARLISTO77(m): 11:55pm On Oct 31, 2012
ashmanpolo:

SATISFIED, VOLUNTEERS please don't let me call you 'OKPOKO'

Do not juxtapose two nouns...
The contextual *volunteer* should denote adjectival application, not nounal application.

So, volunteers readers is solecistically wrong.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by CARLISTO77(m): 12:16am On Nov 01, 2012
Dandy.:

both are from the root word-''be''. ''Being'' is the continuous form of ''be'',while ''been'' is the past tense and past participle form.i.e(be been been).''Been'' is usually used after the word ''have'' to show that the action is done. E.g; I have been here all day. While ''being'' shows the action is still active. E.g; the topic being treated by this thread is the misuse of the word ''am''.
Hope this helps.

Please correct those gaffes...

BEEN can never be a past tense form of BE.
Instead, BEEN denotes PAST PARTICIPLE OF BE.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by MissCorrection: 1:24am On Nov 01, 2012
strangest: Please for the benefit of everyone, I mean those that can and cannot speak.. Spoke.. Spake... English very well, can we have our own NIGERIAN ENGLISH. William Shakespeare is an English poet but the English he used then is not what we use today, Moral: English keeps changing everyday... Anyone trying to correct another persons english, should probably go back to william shakespeare. We as Nigerians we have the right to our own english. English has evolved and it is still evolving, the Anglo saxons, the romans. The truth is that English is actually a blend of many languages even the anglo saxon had a blend of the dialects of the west germanic tribes. Nigerian English all the way

Person's grin
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by igbo2011(m): 2:21am On Nov 01, 2012
Why do we have to master European languages before our own?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by sashaa(f): 10:21am On Nov 01, 2012
caseless: hmmm..sis, 'is' 'its'...putting it dis way wld have helped us(the readers) to get the msg. Anyway, u ar right.
Noted. Thank u.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by strangest(m): 12:04pm On Nov 09, 2012
MissCorrection:

Person's grin

You ll always be a naija english teacher.. It won't change you..
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Successfigure: 5:40am On Nov 10, 2012
Nigerians hates correction even the literate let alone unlettered. smiley grin
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by CARLISTO77(m): 10:20am On Nov 10, 2012
Successfigure: Nigerians hates correction even the literate let alone unlettered. smiley grin
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2014
samwash:
In my yrs of research, i come to discover that Nigerians and Kenya has the same problem went it comes to spoken and written English.
lol
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by lennymutai(m): 3:53pm On Oct 05, 2014
toba:
lol
you have a problem with english,Is it went it or when it?That shows us how you have not done your research.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by lennymutai(m): 4:00pm On Oct 05, 2014
samwash:
In my yrs of research, i come to discover that Nigerians and Kenya has the same problem went it comes to spoken and written English.
Is it went or when,that shows us how you have not done your research.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Curious / DARK MYSTERIES: SEASON 1 / Oyeku:story Of Lust,injustice, Destiny And Human Wickedness, 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.