Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of (11354 Views)

Job Adverts: Nigerians Blast The Guardian Newspaper / Urgent Information U Have To Beware Of / Tuesdays and Thursdays Guardian Jobs Adverts & Punch Wed Jobs Adverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 9:10pm On Oct 28, 2012
1GUARANTEED: No credible job opening is guaranteed as long as you are reading the advert. The idea of advertising a job is to have entries from as many candidates as possible, from whom the employer would pick the best qualified. The next time u see the word guaranteed in a job advert, it could just be a ruse to get many applicants because the advertiser has something to profit from getting as many applicants as possible. Maybe to charge them "consulting" fees like some scam recruitment firms do.

2. URGENT: Yes there are urgent job openings from time to time, but for credibility sakes, such an offer would be done in house without recourse to media. Any other urgent job offer is usually for casual staff like delivery boy, factory worker etc. The only urgent job offers for graduates that could be advertised are those that don't come with salaries e.g marketing on commission basis. If u have a flair for marketing then you could study the advert and see what its about. If not, just move on.

3.INCREDIBLE! or AMAZING!: If you see any vacancy that tells you the job is incredible, then it might just be truly incredible. The use of high sounding adjectives is something that should always arouse your suspicion. If the advert sounds like it's begging you or cajoling you then forget it! They will eventually try to sell something to you.

4. NO QUALIFICATION REQUIRED or ANY QUALIFICATION IS ACCEPTED. : Again there are jobs that don't require any qualifications. But trust me, those are not jobs that plan to put your degree into consideration. Simply put; they cannot pay graduates. If anybody with any qualification can apply then it could be one of those funny schemes that want you to be part of their referral program or pyramid scheme

Wish you all the best in your careers and ambition. God bless

7 Likes

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 10:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
And lest I forget,you may soon be getting text messages from people who claim to have served with you, asking you if you have are employed yet or if you are interested in working in the oil company that employed them (usually AGIP or Shell). Ignore them or just for the fun of it tell the person to call you back since your out of airtime. If he does then ask questions that he cannot answer by just looking at the yearbook(that's where they get your numbers from). Ask a very unlikely question and see if he takes the bait.

2 Likes

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by whirlwind7(m): 9:26am On Oct 29, 2012
On point.

2 Likes

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by babe4chi(f): 9:28am On Oct 29, 2012
Op: nice topic...
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by iwanchop(m): 9:43am On Oct 29, 2012
A guy called me after my youth service,he said we served together in Benue nd dat he now works wt Shell.He told me he had a busines for me to supply an equipment worth N150K EACH.I was to supply 100 pieces nd dat i didnt need to worry about fund as i needed to just buy one as sample to show to d coy nd they would then giv me d fund to buy d rest.he den gav me d no of d guy who i wud buy d sample frm.I almost fell for it.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by Abujafood: 9:49am On Oct 29, 2012
Any Job that says Salary is attractive but uses a cheap advert medium such as a free online advert is suspicious! That is not to say close your mind but watch it!

1 Like

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 9:50am On Oct 29, 2012
iwanchop: A guy called me after my youth service,he said we served together in Benue nd dat he now works wt Shell.He told me he had a busines for me to supply an equipment worth N150K EACH.I was to supply 100 pieces nd dat i didnt need to worry about fund as i needed to just buy one as sample to show to d coy nd they would then giv me d fund to buy d rest.he den gav me d no of d guy who i wud buy d sample frm.I almost fell for it.
Yes. Its a simple but sometimes effective psychological trick they take advantage of; when a "friend" just remembers you out of the blues and decides to help you, you may feel a bit guilty about not remembering him or her so naturally you may not want to ask to many questions. You begin to wonder if they could be some of those people you hardly spoke to. Don't mind them.

1 Like

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by Nonybb: 9:50am On Oct 29, 2012
and wat about a scenerio the company u sent application to, replied u within 14 days with a questionnaire/interview urging u to reply immediately for consideration. Does it arouse any suspicion? The question they sent was actually 17 in numbers and when i saw it i couldnt believe it. Its one of the big oil servicing companies in nigeria. Any answer to that plz?
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by iwanchop(m): 9:52am On Oct 29, 2012
it just occured to me to ask him d name of d school we served together and guess what he culd nt mention...i asked him my 1st name(which evry one cald me in d sch) he mentioned my 2nd name which non of those i serve wt knew then i discovered he got my info frm d nysc yearbook in which i used my second name...OPEN UR EYES ND MIND

1 Like

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 9:58am On Oct 29, 2012
Nonybb: and wat about a scenerio the company u sent application to, replied u within 14 days with a questionnaire/interview urging u to reply immediately for consideration. Does it arouse any suspicion? The question they sent was actually 17 in numbers and when i saw it i couldnt believe it. Its one of the big oil servicing companies in nigeria. Any answer to that plz?
Some Human Resources departments do send such questionnaires that you can fill anywhere and send back to them. The questions are usually to assess your personality type and figure out what work environment best suits you. I have taken one of these before. You can go ahead and answer them. Also do well to research the company online. Nothing to be alarmed about yet unless they are asking for a payment or something like that to go with the questionnaire.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by fitzmayowa: 10:03am On Oct 29, 2012
Nice post
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 10:04am On Oct 29, 2012
iwanchop: it just occured to me to ask him d name of d school we served together and guess what he culd nt mention...i asked him my 1st name(which evry one cald me in d sch) he mentioned my 2nd name which non of those i serve wt knew then i discovered he got my info frm d nysc yearbook in which i used my second name...OPEN UR EYES ND MIND
Nice one! They think they are smart.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by Nonybb: 10:05am On Oct 29, 2012
shocks: Some Human Resources departments do send such questionnaires that you can fill anywhere and send back to them. The questions are usually to assess your personality type and figure out what work environment best suits you. I have taken one of these before. You can go ahead and answer them. Also do well to research the company online. Nothing to be alarmed about yet unless they are asking for a payment or something like that to go with the questionnaire.
u said u had taken such questionnaire/interview, did u get a job frm there? For the one i got, i did a research about them and i visited there website. Its a popular company which u might even knw. But my problem is, whether its too good to be true! Coz if i mention the company u would even congratulate me before the employement letter is received
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 10:18am On Oct 29, 2012
Nonybb: u said u had taken such questionnaire/interview, did u get a job frm there? For the one i got, i did a research about them and i visited there website. Its a popular company which u might even knw. But my problem is, whether its too good to be true! Coz if i mention the company u would even congratulate me before the employement letter is received
two actually, one was an instant assessment online (Procter & Gamble) the other was a BTL brand communications company. It was the second one that called me back for a final interview. Yes, I did get the job. Worked there for almost 2 years before I changed jobs again. Is it that the questions seem too simple?
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by tonym1(m): 10:22am On Oct 29, 2012
Very nice article, there are loads of scams in the job market waiting to rip people off.

Just be careful
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by dljbd1(m): 10:25am On Oct 29, 2012
9ce one bro. Fynx
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by femliany(m): 10:36am On Oct 29, 2012
iwanchop: A guy called me after my youth service,he said we served together in Benue nd dat he now works wt Shell.He told me he had a busines for me to supply an equipment worth N150K EACH.I was to supply 100 pieces nd dat i didnt need to worry about fund as i needed to just buy one as sample to show to d coy nd they would then giv me d fund to buy d rest.he den gav me d no of d guy who i wud buy d sample frm.I almost fell for it.
I served in Benue too and I got that kinda call too from a scumbag like that telling me about a supply bizness in shell.."Dem no wan walk at all"
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by Angel778(f): 10:46am On Oct 29, 2012
shocks: And lest I forget,you may soon be getting text messages from people who claim to have served with you, asking you if you have are employed yet or if you are interested in working in the oil company that employed them (usually AGIP or Shell). Ignore them or just for the fun of it tell the person to call you back since your out of airtime. If he does then ask questions that he cannot answer by just looking at the yearbook(that's where they get your numbers from). Ask a very unlikely question and see if he takes the bait.
yeah, ve had dat experience b4. He called to get me a contract in shel where he claimed he worked. Wel, i took my time to waste his air-time after i askd him to give me time to thnk abt it. And at d end i told him i was nt interested and immediately he cut d line. He called using glo, while i use mtn network.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by highchief3(m): 10:48am On Oct 29, 2012
Any company that request for money even if it's a little token is fake because any company that has money to pay you will not be needing your own.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by nicefeeling: 10:48am On Oct 29, 2012
Fenks for d info,its well appreciated. An eye-opener especially for doz of us dat are jst being introduced into the favor market.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by LemonBoy1: 10:52am On Oct 29, 2012
shocks: two actually, one was an instant assessment online (Procter & Gamble) the other was a BTL brand communications company. It was the second one that called me back for a final interview. Yes, I did get the job. Worked there for almost 2 years before I changed jobs again. Is it that the questions seem too simple?

my guy, dnt evn cosider answering dm unless u js wana kip ya sf busy. Dts a pure scam oh, me i av experiences with dem oh ( Peak Petroleum, Zebras Petroleum, Hilavics etc) at d end de sent me a contract letter issueing me a job (evn without seeing my face and results oh, jst CV) only 4 dm 2 demand i get sm 4m of certificate, clearance or permission (which ever 1 ) b4 finaly claiming d juicy position. My man, a reputable cmpany willing 2 employ won't evn av d time 2 send lengthy questionairs to pipo nat 2 talk of reading or going 2ru dem (thousands of lengthy questioniar answers). Does it nt look rediculous? Me i was snt 15 question, it took me lyk 5hrs 2 reply dem, only 4 dm 2 send me a cntract letter for d job bt demand dt i get a DPR certificate. They evn gav me a cntact 4 d certificate whch i later discovered 2 b fake. My man, run oh
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 10:53am On Oct 29, 2012
nicefeeling: Fenks for d info,its well appreciated. An eye-opener especially for doz of us dat are jst being introduced into the favor market.
You are most welcome. Wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 10:57am On Oct 29, 2012
LemonBoy1:

my guy, dnt evn cosider answering dm unless u js wana kip ya sf busy. Dts a pure scam oh, me i av experiences with dem oh ( Peak Petroleum, Zebras Petroleum, Hilavics etc) at d end de sent me a contract letter issueing me a job (evn without seeing my face and results oh, jst CV) only 4 dm 2 demand i get sm 4m of certificate, clearance or permission (which ever 1 ) b4 finaly claiming d juicy position. My man, a reputable cmpany willing 2 employ won't evn av d time 2 send lengthy questionairs to pipo nat 2 talk of reading or going 2ru dem (thousands of lengthy questioniar answers). Does it nt look rediculous? Me i was snt 15 question, it took me lyk 5hrs 2 reply dem, only 4 dm 2 send me a cntract letter for d job bt demand dt i get a DPR certificate. They evn gav me a cntact 4 d certificate whch i later discovered 2 b fake. My man, run oh
That means that scam artists are now taking advantage of even regular hiring methods. I guess its even worse than I thought. Anyway, the moment u get wind of someone asking you to pay for one certification or medical what not then turn the other way and run. Thanks for the heads up
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by LemonBoy1: 10:59am On Oct 29, 2012
^^ its realy depressing esp wen d job in question is very juicy (which is usually the case)
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by shocks(m): 11:01am On Oct 29, 2012
Nonybb: u said u had taken such questionnaire/interview, did u get a job frm there? For the one i got, i did a research about them and i visited there website. Its a popular company which u might even knw. But my problem is, whether its too good to be true! Coz if i mention the company u would even congratulate me before the employement letter is received
But then again my bro, even this questionnaire thing has been corrupted as well. Just be sure that it is the same company that you applied to directly. If they are not straight forward questions on a credible recruitment portal on their known website, then you have a reason to be cautious.
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by LemonBoy1: 11:09am On Oct 29, 2012
^^^ U r rili on point here. Unless its a questionair directly on or from dia website, else its scam scam scam
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by jumongpan(f): 11:15am On Oct 29, 2012
I served in Benue too,got same call immediately after service n exactly what the person said to you was exactly what he told me too.i just said to him that he called the wrong person,419 people ehe..
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by sugardaddy1(m): 11:15am On Oct 29, 2012
nicefeeling: Fenks for d info,its well appreciated. An eye-opener especially for doz of us dat are jst being introduced into the favor market.
If you guys continue to reel out meaningless shorthands like this, I might be tempted to see you as the real scammers with half-education looking for jobs meant for genuine graduates. Just my opinion though.

2 Likes

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by bid4rich(m): 11:16am On Oct 29, 2012
I served in Benue too, they came to me with spears of deception, armour of lies and cutlass of hypocrity but I dealth with them with Atomic bazooka of wisdom. They flee cos i refuse to fall their prey. Awon ole oshi
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by LemonBoy1: 11:25am On Oct 29, 2012
$ugardaddy:

If you guys continue to reel out meaningless shorthands like this, I might be tempted to see you as the real scammers with half-education looking for jobs meant for genuine graduates. Just my opinion though.

wat hs short-hands gat 2 do wit d topic? Hw cn it affect u wen u r such a genius in english language? Hw cm u still a job seeker wen u r a genius? Hv u 4goten dat mst pipo r typing wit dem phone ( esp non - QWERTY keypad phones) ? Y will i go 2ru d stress typin evrytin in full wen i knw dat d pipo am typing 2 r nat daft aslong as i maintain a conventional short-hand? Bros, me nat in anyway intending 2 insult u, bt i guess ur opinion ds time is'nt sane enough. A short- hand dts nat clear 2 u, u should ask d poster so u may b clerified, i call dat humility.

1 Like

Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by mimifavour(f): 12:04pm On Oct 29, 2012
Nice one dear
Re: Job Vacancy Adverts Lines To Beware Of by blueheart(m): 12:56pm On Oct 29, 2012
shocks: And lest I forget,you may soon be getting text messages from people who claim to have served with you, asking you if you have are employed yet or if you are interested in working in the oil company that employed them (usually AGIP or Shell). Ignore them or just for the fun of it tell the person to call you back since your out of airtime. If he does then ask questions that he cannot answer by just looking at the yearbook(that's where they get your numbers from). Ask a very unlikely question and see if he takes the bait.

U are absolutely right. Sum mu.mu played this format on me bt i didnt fall for it tho

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Got These Also....pls Someone Should Help With An Info / Job Vacancy At Guiness. Apply Before 23th Jan.!!! / Access Bank Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.