Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row (781 Views)

Howard Webb To Referee Manchester United Vs Liverpool / Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg Of Racial Slur / Howard Webb To Referee Manchester United’s Final Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row by honeric01(m): 12:03am On Oct 29, 2012
By Darren Lewis Comments

28 Oct 2012 22:34
Club have lodged formal complaint – Clattenburg is alleged to have racially insulted Jon Obi Mikel and called another star a “Spanish t***”.

Card carrying: Fernando Torres of Chelsea is shown the yellow card by referee Mark Clattenburg
Michael Regan
Chelsea last night sensationally accused referee Mark Clattenburg of racially abusing two of their players.

The European Champions made the incredible claim in the wake of their explosive 3-2 defeat to Manchester United.

Clattenburg is alleged to have verbally abused Blues midfielder Jon Obi Mikel and called another star a “Spanish t***”.

It came after Clattenburg had sent off two Chelsea players and allowed an offside winning goal from Javier Hernandez to stand.

A Chelsea spokesman said last night: “We have lodged to the Premier League match delegate regarding inappropriate language used by the referee towards two of our players in two separate incidents in today’s game.

“The match delegate will pass the complaints to the Football Association. We will make no further comment at this time.”

Mikel is understood to have stormed to Clattenburg’s dressing room after the match hurling expletives at the County Durham official. It is unclear whether the two incidents are connected.

Clattenburg is alleged to have made the remarks during the match. The players in turn are understood to have made their allegations to Chelsea officials in their dressing room after the final whistle.

View gallery Shaun Botterill / Getty
""""""""""
Chelsea v Manchester United, Premier League - Picture special
View gallery
Mirror Sport understands Mikel, captain John Terry, Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo and chief executive Ron Gourlay were all seen in the referee’s dressing room area after the match.

Shortly afterwards Chelsea confirmed their intention to make a formal complaint.

The Premier League, however, say all officials are miked up during matches. It means whatever comments were made will have been heard by his three assistants.

The allegations come with the FA set to investigate after a steward was taken to hospital amid claims of a seat being ripped from the Matthew Harding stand and thrown onto the field of play.

Around £20 worth of £1 coins were also retrieved after fans pelted the Manchester United players as they celebrated Hernandez’s winner.

The allegations come a year after John Terry was first accused of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.

The incident, for which Terry was found guilty by the FA, took place during the Blues’ nine-man defeat to Queen’s Park Rangers at Loftus Road.

They also came at the end of a bitter Stamford Bridge encounter yesterday that ALSO saw Chelsea end up with nine men.

Both Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres were sent off by Clattenburg with Chelsea particularly aggrieved by the Spaniard’s sending off.

Torres was fouled by Manchester United defender Jonny Evans on 69 minutes as he attempted to burst through on goal.

But Clattenburg instead showed a second yellow to Torres, who had earlier been booked. And United boss Sir Alex Ferguson insisted the Spaniard only had himself to blame.

Sir Alex said: “I would never have missed that chance. I would have taken that any time. I wouldn’t have gone down.

“But he did go down, that’s the issue, and he has already been booked so it’s his own fault.

Evans claimed later: “At the time I didn’t feel I made contact. I saw it again and I made a bit of contact but I don’t feel it was enough to bring him down.

“I think he probably realised he wasn’t getting the ball and went down. I think the referee has made the right decision to send him off.”

A statement by the Professsional Game Match Officials organisation said: "PGMO is aware of the allegations and they are being treated with the utmost seriousness.

"Mark will co-operate fully and welcomes the opportunity for the facts to be established. No further comment will be made until this matter has been properly investigated."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-2-3-manchester-united-referee-1405484
Re: Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row by Kaysalas(m): 3:38am On Oct 29, 2012
cheesy honeric baba how u dey?
Re: Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row by RickyRoss1(m): 5:11am On Oct 29, 2012
I am tired of all these Man United referees, anytime they want manure to win they can go to any length, even if it means giving 5 red cards to their opponent.

They do it all the time against Man City, that reference should be jailed, its either he took bribe or he is mentally ill.
Re: Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 29, 2012
Its Apparent the Scumbag aint far from Controversy -- Here's an Update On his Controversy Filled Carrier http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2224576/Mark-Clattenburg--controversial-referee.html angry
Re: Air Turned Blue: Chelsea Accuse Referee Mark Clattenburg In New Race Row by honeric01(m): 11:57am On Oct 29, 2012
Kaysalas: cheesy honeric baba how u dey?

I dey o bro, do i know you? tongue

(1) (Reply)

Football Imposibilities That Can Never Happen / TV Service Provider (EPL & UCL) / Manchester United Wins 11th Premiership Title, Equals Liverpool's Record Of 18 L

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.