Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,775 members, 7,806,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! (3029 Views)

Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? / Relationship Between Etsako Names And Culture: A Linguistic Perspective / Meeting! Topic: Is Our Culture A Curse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by Abujafood: 10:30am On Oct 29, 2012
When we talk about reading culture, we’re not only referring to the love for reading by a select few but for a way of life among Nigerians especially students and professionals as a way of building and empowering themselves with knowledge contained in books. Reading as an activity has a stimulating effect on our minds.

Recently a national newspaper editorial decried the near dead reading culture in Nigeria. As far as the Editorial team was concerned Nigerians don’t read as much or as well as they once used to. These days it’s hard to come across anyone who is interested in reading just for the fun of it and in fact some people actually think it’s strange to read for fun. As far as they’re concerned one should only read for a forth coming examination.

One of the reasons for the declining reading culture in Nigeria is the widely held view that it is a boring academic task not a hobby. For this reason merely reading an autobiography or Literary play during your spare time might be viewed as a strange habit.

Another reason could be the problem of overemphasis on paper qualification and passing exams. Our Educational institutions especially Secondary are not modeled optimally to challenge students to read for fun, inventions or creativity. Rather it seems the ‘copy and paste’ system is in force where all you do is read, cram and pour out what you’ve read as answers in your answer sheet. This culture sends a wrong message about the value of reading outside of academic works.

Even in this present day and age, reading for fun is out of place with most young people if at all for leisure, they’ll rather handle a kindle fire which a digital tablet – a device that enables them to not only read their favourite books, but watch videos or connect with folks online.

Reading is simply not 'cool'. What people prefer these days is chatting on their mobile devices which encourage the ugly use of abbreviations or 'text language' further worsening students spellings and grammar. For instance, 'BRB' for be right back, 'Lol' for laugh out loud, and 'SMH' for shake my head.

While the internet is a rich source of information and there are millions of books and articles to read online it seems many young Nigerians would rather opt for Facebook, Twitter or Nairaland mostly to chat, look for dates and not to do assignments and keep up to date with current news and gossip. Instead of seeking knowledge the internet is used for entertainment.

Is the reading culture dead in Nigeria as the popular Newspaper opined or just as some Educationists in the US have also observed a trend common to 21st century youth? As long as reading is perceived negatively, chances are there won’t be any improvements in the Nigerian reading culture anytime soon.

http://www.abujafood.com/news-digest/crunch/925-reading-culture-in-nigeria-a-dire-situation.html
Re: The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by ifyalways(f): 7:47pm On Oct 29, 2012
Nothing else to add. Visit any bookshop and ask the salesperson the average age range of their patrons. Youths are busy typing "ttyl, buh, llnp" on fbk.
Re: The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by Abujafood: 9:43am On Oct 30, 2012
^^^

Absolutely Ify, what I find even more worrisome is how being a book worm makes you appear to be odd and out of touch with reality (that's how most kids see things these days!)
Re: The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by solbil: 12:33pm On Oct 30, 2012
if you dont know nigerians read, then its becos you dont read yourself. I read alot and you find me always in the lib. As a result of this, i know somany guys who read. If you are always in the lib, then the only people you will know are the ones who go to the lib. Not like every body abroad is always seen with a book! Infact there are reports of trends of addiction to the internet and video games in other parts of the world a trend you dont find here!

I have never been abroad before and never met a jew before but i wonder if those people are always carrying a book where ever they go. I have heard so much about those people's genius.
Re: The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by Abujafood: 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
solbil: if you dont know nigerians read, then its becos you dont read yourself. I read alot and you find me always in the lib. As a result of this, i know somany guys who read. If you are always in the lib, then the only people you will know are the ones who go to the lib. Not like every body abroad is always seen with a book! Infact there are reports of trends of addiction to the internet and video games in other parts of the world a trend you dont find here!

I have never been abroad before and never met a jew before but i wonder if those people are always carrying a book where ever they go. I have heard so much about those people's genius.

Really you mean to say compared to years gone by people read more proportionally (if you understand what I mean) than in times past?

Ask your lecturers for their opinion on this topic, because you and a few others read often doesn't mean most people do the same. By the way why do you read? For fun or for an exam?
Re: The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by ifyalways(f): 9:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
I think solbil is mistaking "studying" for a course/exam for reading.

@topic, to some extent, the advent of the internet contributed to the demise of "reading". Before, one could just pick an old newspaper from the dads room and read, try out the crosswords for fun till it gradually becomes a habit but today how many people still buy daillies when you can read directly online?
You have e-books and what have you now so people can download and read online and fbk, tweet, nld at same time. Lol
Re: The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! by Abujafood: 10:03am On Oct 31, 2012
ifyalways: I think solbil is mistaking "studying" for a course/exam for reading.

@topic, to some extent, the advent of the internet contributed to the demise of "reading". Before, one could just pick an old newspaper from the dads room and read, try out the crosswords for fun till it gradually becomes a habit but today how many people still buy daillies when you can read directly online?
You have e-books and what have you now so people can download and read online and fbk, tweet, nld at same time. Lol

Exactly Ify If solbil had read the Original Post he would have seen the part where it was mentioned that many Nigerians only see reading as an academic thing and not something you do for fun!

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Lagos Called " CITY OF EXCELLENCE?" / Describe Yoruba Culture In One Word / Is Feminism Really Un-african?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.