Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56267 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 4:04pm On Nov 03, 2012
Abali1:

It's actually a good idea to meet once in a while, at least to put a Human Face in the new forum that will be created. So that people can actually see us and hear us talk live.
The only problem I envisage there, is that we live in different city. Unless we rotate the meet.

@deco, the names are okay. But let us brain storm some more and wait for other peoples input. As FKBZ said, this could be bigger than sickle cell foundation.
Talking about sickle cell foundation, you guys only need to visit there site and you will be disappointed.

...Yeah, we need more say on dis...
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 03, 2012
Idowuogbo: ^seconded!

I c u blink! Morning... cheesy
mor...evening dear. Just returned from criss-crossing delta state.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:57pm On Nov 03, 2012
blink182: mor...evening dear. Just returned from criss-crossing delta state.

what's your opinion about us having our own forum?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2012
Abali1:

what's your opinion about us having our own forum?
been thinking about it, really don't know. I guess you guys should go on with it. What worries me is traffic, how do we get sufferers and their loved ones to know about it? Nairaland has tremendous traffic and by far more reach than a new website.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Thawarplay(m): 6:24pm On Nov 03, 2012
Lmao! I only need the admin position
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 6:56pm On Nov 03, 2012
blink182: been thinking about it, really don't know. I guess you guys should go on with it. What worries me is traffic, how do we get sufferers and their loved ones to know about it? Nairaland has tremendous traffic and by far more reach than a new website.

Yeah...that's anoda thin...

Nairaland got d traffic
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:35pm On Nov 03, 2012
deco_slim:

Yeah...that's anoda thin...

Nairaland got d traffic

Okay. If we are to use NL, we still need to put a human face to it. We can still use NL, to organise a meet at least quaterly.
How do we fo about this? Creating awareness can go a long way to help other sufferers. What do you guys think?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 3:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
Abali1:

Okay. If we are to use NL, we still need to put a human face to it. We can still use NL, to organise a meet at least quaterly.
How do we fo about this? Creating awareness can go a long way to help other sufferers. What do you guys think?

That's would be okay....

But it seems will need others say on this..
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by pinky85: 10:04am On Nov 05, 2012
Thanks Abali for this thread.

I wish I could contribute more but the thing is I'm not used to dwelling on my condition ie I live in DENIAL. I don't act or talk like I have anything to do with SCD.

That's how I went from start to finish in UNI and NONE of classmates knew for 5 years, apart from my roomates and close friends. Even then I had to tell some of them.

It was a girl in my class who met me at a clinic on campus who found me in pains one day and I told her. She then went viral with the info. This was after graduation.

The SCD forum is a good idea, especially for those who need support and want to know about new medications.
I personally never heard of CELLOD S before. However, I'm also one of those guys here who isn't big on pills either.

I stopped, taking folic acid and paludrine almost 20 yrs ago. Instead, I use a more esoteric combo of herbs and supplements to stay fit. If anyone wants a list of what I use I'd be glad to oblige.

Another issue I think is interesting is AGING in SCD. When we are younger we look younger than our peers. But if care is not taken, we could be looking 75 by the time we are 50. I guess its to do with decreasing levels of fetal hemoglogin and chronic effects of oxidative stress. Or what do you think ?

So we should also talk about how we can age with more grace.

Back to forum matters, we could actually get or wordpress hosted site. These usually have good rankings on google and will generate traffic with the right content and keywords.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 10:54am On Nov 05, 2012
blink182: mor...evening dear. Just returned from criss-crossing delta state.
U go groove abi? Hmm... Blink! Blink! Odiro easy.... wink
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 05, 2012
pinky85: Thanks Abali for this thread.

I wish I could contribute more but the thing is I'm not used to dwelling on my condition ie I live in DENIAL. I don't act or talk like I have anything to do with SCD.

That's how I went from start to finish in UNI and NONE of classmates knew for 5 years, apart from my roomates and close friends. Even then I had to tell some of them.

It was a girl in my class who met me at a clinic on campus who found me in pains one day and I told her. She then went viral with the info. This was after graduation.

The SCD forum is a good idea, especially for those who need support and want to know about new medications.
I personally never heard of CELLOD S before. However, I'm also one of those guys here who isn't big on pills either.

I stopped, taking folic acid and paludrine almost 20 yrs ago. Instead, I use a more esoteric combo of herbs and supplements to stay fit. If anyone wants a list of what I use I'd be glad to oblige.

Another issue I think is interesting is AGING in SCD. When we are younger we look younger than our peers. But if care is not taken, we could be looking 75 by the time we are 50. I guess its to do with decreasing levels of fetal hemoglogin and chronic effects of oxidative stress. Or what do you think ?

So we should also talk about how we can age with more grace.

Back to forum matters, we could actually get or wordpress hosted site. These usually have good rankings on google and will generate traffic with the right content and keywords.

welcome and interesting contribution you made.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
Idowuogbo:
U go groove abi? Hmm... Blink! Blink! Odiro easy.... wink
yes o, my saturdays are usually booked.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:42am On Nov 07, 2012
Are we ready...let's get started
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 6:32am On Nov 07, 2012
deco_slim: Are we ready...let's get started

Deco, we need to open another thread for this budding idea. I doubt if we can achieve much on this thread, cos it's already losing steam.

Goodmorning all.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Idowuogbo(f): 6:37am On Nov 07, 2012
blink182: yes o, my saturdays are usually booked.
Hmmm... Okay o! Do I get invited to d next grooves? cheesy

Deco! Ur idea sounds great....lets do dis!

Abail! I c u 2 hun! Morning warrior..
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 07, 2012
Abali1:

Deco, we need to open another thread for this budding idea. I doubt if we can achieve much on this thread, cos it's already losing steam.

Goodmorning all.
very true.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Briareos(m): 7:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
Wow! This is so wonderful. I was researching about SCD on Google for my upcoming short documentary film when I come across this thread.

I have learnt so much about SCD from this single thread and it has really encouraged me to continue the project.

Please, I'll be grateful if you guys can contact me thru:

Briareos806@gmail.com

Or drop your numbers on that email and I will get back to you.

Addendum:
There is no harm in getting another forum while a thread is been maintained on nairaland.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:22am On Nov 09, 2012
Briareos: Wow! This is so wonderful. I was researching about SCD on Google for my upcoming short documentary film when I come across this thread.

I have learnt so much about SCD from this single thread and it has really encouraged me to continue the project.

Please, I'll be grateful if you guys can contact me thru:

Briareos806@gmail.com

Or drop your numbers on that email and I will get back to you.

Addendum:
There is no harm in getting another forum while a thread is been maintained on nairaland.

Briareos, thanks for your suggestion.
Guys, it's high time we take some action. At least lets start by contacting each other through emails, then we can move up to phone numbers and by His grace we will meet face to face.
My email is abiaaba4@gmail.com,
briareos I will be sending you a mail shortly.

Goodmorning warriors and lovers of warriors
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 7:08am On Nov 09, 2012
That's true...dis trend is reali losing stem...

So let's get our forum?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 9:35am On Nov 09, 2012
deco, is time to start contacting people off NL. My mail is up there.... And just created a new thread for creating awareness in the form of contacting people and hearing their stories (for those who will not want to really talk to anonymous people.)
Blink, Deco, Strong and all warriors please lets tell our unique stories. Your emails will be needed here or on that other thread.
LET'S GO THERE PEOPLE.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Briareos(m): 12:04pm On Nov 09, 2012
Thanks Abali1, I will reply you shortly.

A facebook group or fanpage wont be such a bad idea. Most people check fb everyday and updates their will be easily assessed.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 12:46pm On Nov 09, 2012
Briareos: Thanks Abali1, I will reply you shortly.

A facebook group or fanpage wont be such a bad idea. Most people check fb everyday and updates their will be easily assessed.

I thought about that (I mean a FB page) but you know some people will not really want to be know as SCD sufferers. But if we can get enough people on board, then a FB page will really help us to create the needed awareness. Let's hear from others.
Deco, I hope you can help us create a FB page when the time comes.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
Sori I have been off this thread tnx to glo,the bb service provider. Keep me posted about the webpage.
I have abandoned folic acid n paludrine n bco long time ago cos takin drug evryday is annoyin. Also,bco gives me too much drive for food n wt ma healthy appetite,I dnt tink I need enhancement jor. Tinkin of goin back to folic acid
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2012
@ Deco- I hope you av been takin your drugs regularly or else!!!
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
queen binte o: @ Deco- I hope you av been takin your drugs regularly or else!!!

queen, what do you say to having our own FB fan page. We need to put a human face to create and spread the awareness.
Visit the other thread or drop your email here. I will contact you off NL
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 3:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
Abali1:

queen, what do you say to having our own FB fan page. We need to put a human face to create and spread the awareness.
Visit the other thread or drop your email here. I will contact you off NL
Which other thread. I can't drop ma email here cos d addy is in ma full name. Try bureo0320@hotmail/gmail.com wil check if they are stil functionin. Tnx
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 4:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
queen binte o:
Which other thread. I can't drop ma email here cos d addy is in ma full name. Try bureo0320@hotmail/gmail.com wil check if they are stil functionin. Tnx

yeah, I understand. I actually created a new mail because of this thread. The mail addy is abiaaba4@gmail.com
I will send a mail to the ones you listed above, Abali1 will be the subject.
The new thread am talking about is, Project Sickle Cell Disease Awareness. I created, cos this thread is gradually losing steam.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 6:27pm On Nov 09, 2012
Abali1:

yeah, I understand. I actually created a new mail because of this thread. The mail addy is abiaaba4@gmail.com
I will send a mail to the ones you listed above, Abali1 will be the subject.
The new thread am talking about is, Project Sickle Cell Disease Awareness. I created, cos this thread is gradually losing steam.
Got your mail. Tnx. Pls send future email/correspondence to bureo0320@hotmail/gmail.com
Ayam suprised that deco is stil on this thread!!! Up deco!!
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
deco_slim: That's true...dis trend is reali losing stem...

So let's get our forum?

Deco, please make out time to visit this thread. Am already in contact with some people off NL. I aslo need to contact you off NL.

nairaland.com/1097963/project-sickle-cell-disease-awareness#12901774
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Thawarplay(m): 12:07am On Nov 10, 2012
Abali1:

Deco, please make out time to visit this thread. Am already in contact with some people off NL. I aslo need to contact you off NL.

http://nairaland.com/1097963/project-sickle-cell-disease-awareness#12901774

my email 2lanre@ovi.com u can also add me on nokia chat
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 1:53am On Nov 10, 2012
Abali1:

I thought about that (I mean a FB page) but you know some people will not really want to be know as SCD sufferers. But if we can get enough people on board, then a FB page will really help us to create the needed awareness. Let's hear from others.
Deco, I hope you can help us create a FB page when the time comes.

Yeah...I can create a fanpage when d time comes
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 1:58am On Nov 10, 2012
queen binte o: @ Deco- I hope you av been takin your drugs regularly or else!!!

Haha!...

Not reali...but for some days now I've been down with body pain... That's y I haven't reali ben active...

But am back...

Right now am trying to be used to folic acid and bcomplex...

Small small I will add other relevant drugs...

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

8 Critical Signs That You Have Stomach Ulcers And What To Do About It / The Woman Carrying Oxygen To Survive And The Crying Little Boy In New Photos / Photo Of A Lady Making Palm Oil Locally Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.