Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease - Health (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (56266 Views)

The Facts About Condoms / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:01am On Nov 10, 2012
Abali1:

Deco, please make out time to visit this thread. Am already in contact with some people off NL. I aslo need to contact you off NL.

nairaland.com/1097963/project-sickle-cell-disease-awareness#12901774

Am in already...noted
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by decoslim(m): 2:16am On Nov 10, 2012
Abali1:

I thought about that (I mean a FB page) but you know some people will not really want to be know as SCD sufferers. But if we can get enough people on board, then a FB page will really help us to create the needed awareness. Let's hear from others.
Deco, I hope you can help us create a FB page when the time comes.

Yeah...I like being hidden
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 8:42am On Nov 10, 2012
Tha warplay:

my email 2lanre@ovi.com u can also add me on nokia chat

I sent you a PM
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by richiex(m): 7:01pm On Nov 10, 2012
blink182: why do you need marrow transplant, I guess you are not in Nigeria.
No, i am not
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Thawarplay(m): 1:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
Abali1:

I sent you a PM

lemme check/ u can also add me on ovi chat with that address
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 2:48pm On Nov 12, 2012
Guys you can now add me on Facebook with the I.D below facebook.com/abali.abia
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2012
Abali1: Guys you can now add me on Facebook with the I.D below facebook.com/abali.abia
good one.

People, have you had your cellod-s today?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:00pm On Nov 13, 2012
I say a big thank you to all the sickle cell warriors who have shared their experiences on this thread and by their stories have helped correct certain misconcieved impressions about a ss person. Also to the lovers of warriors out there who have also contributed to this thread, I appreciate you all.
As a result of interest shown by people who are living with SCD and their loved ones, The Warrior team has decided to move a step further by creating the "NAIJA SICKLE CELL" facebook fan page. (I Deco, thank you).
If you will wish to join us on facebook, all you need to do is to click on the link below and Like our page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naija-Sickle-Cell- Warriors/453940418000596
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 13, 2012
Abali1: I say a big thank you to all the sickle cell warriors who have shared their experiences on this thread and by their stories have helped correct certain misconcieved impressions about a ss person. Also to the lovers of warriors out there who have also contributed to this thread, I appreciate you all.
As a result of interest shown by people who are living with SCD and their loved ones, The Warrior team has decided to move a step further by creating the "NAIJA SICKLE CELL" facebook fan page. (I Deco, thank you).
If you will wish to join us on facebook, all you need to do is to click on the link below and Like our page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naija-Sickle-Cell- Warriors/453940418000596
nice one, heading there now.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 12:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
Warrior
A person who beyond all obstacles still manages to be successful.
A warrior will often be troubled in life, but will persevere in the end. Socially, a Warrior will often be down to earth, functioning entirely off of what they perceive as logic. While this can lead to arrogance and stubbornness, a Warrior has a soft center, and can be befriended with ease by anyone knowing how to reach it.
Often intelligent, strong, determined, and skillful, a Warrior, despite whatever problems they may have, is perfect.
In their own way, each Warrior is perfect.

The Challenges of Sickle Cell Disease makes us the more determined to succeed.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:22am On Nov 16, 2012
Praise the Lord, my protector!
He trains me for BATTLE and prepares me for WAR

Psalm 144:1

Goodmorning people, I hope we are all healthy and strong.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:07am On Nov 21, 2012
Goodmorning people,
Am a bit surprised that after going through this thread, just a handful of people have joined our fanpage on Facebook.
This thread was borne out of the desire to create and educate people about the nature of SCD. The message is simple;
Who is a Sickler?
How am I suppose to relate with people who suffers from SCD?
Are they normal people like everyone else?
If I have them as child(ren), siblings/relations, Friends/ foe, colleagues in the office, classmates etc, do I have to see or think of them as people who do not have long to stay in this world?
Can I marry them or encourage someone I know to marry a SS, so far as they love each other?
Do they deserve to pitied rather than Loved?

These are the messages imbeded in this thread. It goes further to make a clarion call to sicklers where ever they may be, to come out and let the world know that SCD does not limit nor define who they are.

It is a choice one can make..... you either keep being comfortable in your ignorance about SCD or you identify with people living with SCD.

As for a SS person that is shy of stigma, I tell you this.... " You did not choose to be born with SCD, so why do you have to live in Denial rather than face facts and join your voices to discourage those intending Love Birds (AS/AS)who wants to gamble with the Genetic Make Up of their future kids

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by bman2003: 3:29pm On Feb 05, 2013
Hello guys, I am not trying to advertise or nothing, because i only spread what i have seen, but there is a drug for sickle cell in nigeria presently. this is off records, but the World health organization came to see it and took it out for further clinical trials. like i said it is not for public ears, but they have been cases of reverting SS to AA or AS, guys I am not joking, heaven bears me witness. the name of the drug is Solamin. pls call or inbox me for details. 08108215170 or b2much200329@yahoo.com guys, i am not joking, we have ourselves a cure to Sickle cell. I am a personal witness.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:36am On Jun 18, 2013
[It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life’s betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain!
I want to know if you can sit with pain, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.
-Oriah Mountain Dreamer]
######################################

Tomorrow is World Sickle Cell Day. What have you done for the Warriors around you?
Have you Helped alleviate their pain, Physical and/or emotional?
Or
Have you added to their pain, Physical and/or emotional?

Warriors Fight the several unseen battles, emotional, psychological and of course the physical. We would rather you jugde us on our own merits as fellow Human Beings, than pitying us.

1 Like

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 20, 2013
Awww my little sis is also a sicle cell victim... She's the only sister have got in the world...... Though my mum is a nurse though.... Most times i starr at her and get scared, i really dunt wana loose her, she doesnt take vegetables beans... She hates them AF... And she'z got a yellowish eye, where ever we go pple star at her.. Plus she doesnt look healthy per say... Like she skinny, and small compared to her peer group.. I feel for her most time.. The last time she had crisis was probably in the year 2005 or so... Cos my mum takes good care of her.. Buh am still scared... Ones knew a lady .. Who died at the age 23.... Cos of the illness....
I dunt pray for such... My sis takes routine drugs a lot. And fansider, thats her constan anti malaria drugs.. She also take essential fortes everyday...... Shhe also take joblyn tooo... I love her so much sad
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 10:25am On Jun 20, 2013
T.swaggs:

I love her so much sad
Are you sure that you Love your li'l sis or you just feel Pity for her.
Reading your post I feel that people like you will only end up making your sis have a Low Self Esteem. She is already battling with Pains almost every other day, does she really need the Pity?
What do you mean she hates AF?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by qualified(f): 10:51pm On Jul 15, 2013
@op, u are doing a great job. Tnx
my little prince (he is a warrior too) is jus 7 years, can he take Cellod-S?
Though i will ask a doctor and tel his mum to ask their doctor too, but i like getting info frm d warriors cos they understand that pain. I don't wish it for anyone.
I ve lost one of my nephews to SCD, i ve one warrior now and i can give anything to help.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 11:55am On Jul 16, 2013
^^^ yes your little Warrior Prince can take. But like you said consult your doctor (don't be surprised if he discourages you, mine also did).
Also, try and visit the website of the producers of Cellod-s and probably call the director to get more info on how to administer the required dosages.
If you wouldn't mind, you can also visit and like our page on Facebook...
Naija Sickle Cell Warriors.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by qualified(f): 2:03pm On Jul 16, 2013
Abali1: ^^^ yes your little Warrior Prince can take. But like you said consult your doctor (don't be surprised if he discourages you, mine also did).
Also, try and visit the website of the producers of Cellod-s and probably call the director to get more info on how to administer the required dosages.
If you wouldn't mind, you can also visit and like our page on Facebook...
Naija Sickle Cell Warriors.

TNX DEAR. I WILL TALK TO THE DOCTORS
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by lepasharon(f): 3:23am On Jul 17, 2013
There are issues with gaining weight with ss undecided..anyone have any advice.thats the main thing that worries me about this disease undecided
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:19am On Jul 17, 2013
lepasharon: There are issues with gaining weight with ss undecided..anyone have any advice.thats the main thing that worries me about this disease undecided
Do you mean that people living with sickle cell don't gain weight?
Actually, some of us are very slim. But I have also heard of others who are really big. Even on this thread, one of us said she is even having problems controlling her weight.
My advice is that you eat healthy foods (a lot of vegtables, proteins and fruits) and also rest well when you should.
Sometimes I attribute my slim built to my restless nature. I hardly stay in place, but when I force myself to rest and feed well I always do add a little flesh.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by lepasharon(f): 1:25am On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
Do you mean that people living with sickle cell don't gain weight?
Actually, some of us are very slim. But I have also heard of others who are really big. Even on this thread, one of us said she is even having problems controlling her weight.
My advice is that you eat healthy foods (a lot of vegtables, proteins and fruits) and also rest well when you should.
Sometimes I attribute my slim built to my restless nature. I hardly stay in place, but when I force myself to rest and feed well I always do add a little flesh.

ok....but do you loose weight when you go into crisis?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:33am On Jul 19, 2013
lepasharon:

ok....but do you loose weight when you go into crisis?
I wouldn't know much about that, but I believe that most people lose some weight when they are sick.
But depending on how serious and how long the crisis lasts.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by rollingpoint027(m): 9:45am On Dec 24, 2014
Pls i need responses from all d experts in d house regarding genotype n wat av always been reading about it.my genotype is AA and according to wat av been reading,AAs are prone to malaria but mine is kinda different cos am hardly sick or down with anything especially malaria.....sumtimes i stay 2 years witout any sign of malaria and one tin dat amuses me again is dat i dont xperience d normal tinz sum pple go thru like cough(infact dis is d most dat amuses me cos i can stay 5yrs witout anytin like cough),catarh etc.

I dont breakdown even wen am really stressed n lack enuf sleep,am still on my feet as if a not human.......pls is dere a reason for all i stated above.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:07am On Jan 12, 2015
rollingpoint027:
Pls i need responses from all d experts in d house regarding genotype n wat av always been reading about it.my genotype is AA and according to wat av been reading,AAs are prone to malaria but mine is kinda different cos am hardly sick or down with anything especially malaria.....sumtimes i stay 2 years witout any sign of malaria and one tin dat amuses me again is dat i dont xperience d normal tinz sum pple go thru like cough(infact dis is d most dat amuses me cos i can stay 5yrs witout anytin like cough),catarh etc.

I dont breakdown even wen am really stressed n lack enuf sleep,am still on my feet as if a not human.......pls is dere a reason for all i stated above.
Your immune system is really strong. But don't be careless or too carried away with your superman nature.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by ikare(m): 5:25pm On May 04, 2015
People,pls what antimalaria drug can a person with sickle cell take? I am thnking of getting Coartem
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 12:34pm On May 05, 2015
ikare:
People,pls what antimalaria drug can a person with sickle cell take? I am thnking of getting Coartem
Which antimalaria medicine do you use before? Coartem is ok, but it's not actually just about the drug. But you must take your antimalaria drugs at least once every month.
Prevention is better.
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by megam0ney: 11:10am On Jun 29, 2015
pls were are the SCD warriors... Are you guys still here?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 7:39pm On Jun 30, 2015
megam0ney:
pls were are the SCD warriors... Are you guys still here?
Yes we are still here. Any suggestions or advice for us?
Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by chijen(f): 5:41pm On Jul 01, 2015
I just read this thread from the 1st thread to the last and I was really impressed. No stone was left unturned. I'm a warrior in her early or middle 30, a Graduate and a mother too. Someone mentioned about ss/SC females having so many medical or obstetrics issues which I have come to counter. Even people whom we tend to call healthy have health issues with conception and pregnancy. It all takes God's grace and healthy living. I'm a living testimony. Got to know about my genotype at age 19 while in the University, had series of crisis due to environmental issues ranging from academic pursuit and unhealthy feeding but God saw me through. I have only had 2blood transfusion my entire life which was during my pregnancy cos I had a cs delivery. U will hardly know I have d Scd. The solution is to eat healthy, less frying or oily things, enough fluid and fruits, cut down ur stress and always have a positive approach whenever the crisis comes. Avoid extreme temperatures, cover up especially ur feet cos that's the easiest route to cold. Take folic acid religiously especially the female SC/Ss. Avoid drugs that contains iron. Instead take the ones that contains calcium or omega3 very essential. The best way to fight the pain Crisis is by renewing ur mind through positive thinking. I have had the worst and God saw me thru it all. Finally, bitter kolA reduces pains too. I chew one daily once I have pain and drink a cup of water to wash it down, as if I'm taking drugs on an empty stomach before breakfast. Usually an hour or 2nd before breakfast when I'm in mild crisis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease by megam0ney: 12:36am On Jul 02, 2015
@abali, not really much tho! Just trynna be sure...

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

8 Critical Signs That You Have Stomach Ulcers And What To Do About It / The Woman Carrying Oxygen To Survive And The Crying Little Boy In New Photos / Photo Of A Lady Making Palm Oil Locally Goes Viral

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.