Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,452 members, 7,808,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? (4702 Views)

Jay Z In Traditional Igbo Regalia / The Infusion Of Hip Hop Culture Into Nigerian Society / Hip-hop Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 1:39am On Oct 30, 2012
Who's the better rapper? - It's definitely NAS... Nasty Nas... Nastradamus...God's Son... The Escobar...

No one comes close to Nas when it comes to rapping, lyrics, telling a story, syllables, knowledge, intelligence, wittiness, metaphors, and similes... Maybe, Jay Z can spit better punchlines, but that's about it... Nas would give you one-layer, two layers and all kinds of syllables - and tell you a story in way that could envision yourself as being the same scenario... Only Rakim Allah did it better than, or like Nas - but his body of work can't be compared to NAS...

The G.O.A.T(Greatest of all time) rapper(s) to me are both NAS and TUPAC - I can listen to both of the all day... Notorious B.I.G was good rhymer with no substance, just party and bs... I'm a fan of B.I.G but he's not even close to these two icons... And Jay Z is overrated IMO!!

PS: I had to create this topic after Alicia Keys said what I've saying for a long time - I'm back on my hiatus from NL... Check me out on huffington post, yo...

Some of Nas' greatest tunes - no one is touching these tracks!!

1)Nas - Rewind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Sd2gDkSV8

2) Nas -- One Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjd7EbUUds8

3) Nas - NY State of Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 1:43am On Oct 30, 2012
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 1:46am On Oct 30, 2012
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 1:50am On Oct 30, 2012
My top 10 Nas in no particular order with no features... I love all the tracks on the album with Damian Marley but they don't count because he did all the tunes on there with Damian Marley.... And the Untitled(Ni.gger)album had some fire, perhaps better than anything Jay Z would ever dream about putting out... However, they are not as lyrical as the tunes I posted up there...

I'm out, yo!! cool

1 Like

Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 30, 2012
Do u listen to immortal technique as well? U should check them out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igt-jW4e8ts
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 5:56am On Oct 30, 2012
[size=28pt]Nas by far!! [/size]cheesy

Dude not only has a way with words but his songs have meanings.
From Illmatic to Hip Hop is Dead and then back again with the Damien Marley Collabo joint (forgot the album name...damn!!)

But Nas is a very smart brother with some street cred, much like Jay Z but the difference is I FEEL Nas. Listening to his tracks I hear the Malcom X in him, I hear the professor, I hear the street hustler, I hear the pride..the anger...I hear it all, man.

After Pac, Nas is the greatest in modern rap. IMHO! smiley

This is my favorite Nas record though.

- "Hate Me Now" -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-rN-98kFQ

cheesy cheesy cool
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 30, 2012
But I wont sleep on Jay though. He's nice too plus he's repping my old stomping grounds. Brooklyn!!!! kiss

This album turned me onto Jay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ctBA4fFkA

I was still in elementary school but was on
on Jay hard....Nas still the greatest though.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by killuminati(m): 6:37am On Oct 30, 2012
BIG L rest in peace, he's definitely one of the best. Better than Jay Z, can about Nas though.
But BIG L is a lyricist, a good storyteller, but more hardcore on his part. Infact it should be Nas vs BIG L not Jay Z, Jay is just trying...
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 10:24am On Oct 30, 2012
lol..nas? the armchair activist? hey, im not saying he can't put words together to make a good hip hop track but i doubt he believes his own lyrics. and jay z best described him... "cause the nigga wear a kufi, it doesn't mean that he's bright" so im rolling the jay coz he aint faking the funk.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 10:43am On Oct 30, 2012
as for the other actor tupac who went to ballet school, he was highly overrated. just like biggie, his early death was what elevated him to legendary status. he was a fake gangster who was sent to his early grave the minute he messed with real gangsters. damn, the nigga should stayed his azz in hollywood where he belonged.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 30, 2012
ezotik: as for the other actor tupac who went to ballet school, he was highly overrated. just like biggie, his early death was what elevated him to legendary status. he was a fake gangster who was sent to his early grave the minute he messed with real gangsters. damn, the nigga should stayed his azz in hollywood where he belonged.

Now where have i heard this from.
I could have sworn another nlder said those exact words.

Lolz.

2pac and Nas for LIFE.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 30, 2012
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Oct 30, 2012
shymexx: Who's the better rapper? - It's definitely NAS... Nasty Nas... Nastradamus...God's Son... The Escobar...

No one comes close to Nas when it comes to rapping, lyrics, telling a story, syllables, knowledge, intelligence, wittiness, metaphors, and similes...
Word.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 3:04pm On Oct 30, 2012
*Kails*:

Now where have i heard this from.
I could have sworn another nlder said those exact words.

Lolz.

2pac and Nas for LIFE.

looool, really? good thing others now see that tupac was overrated. nobody gave a shiit about his albums until he became a controversial character by creating the fake 'east coast vs west coast' beef.

infact, tupac didn’t have an identity in hip hop until he became a controversial character. he was digital underground’s oyegbe and a naughty by nature’s sidekick and no one gave a shiit about his albums coz no one knew his azz in hip hop. in his words, he said people mistook him for treach due to his lack of identity as a rapper. and why wont people mistake him for treach? when he was always around him licking his azz. and mind you, at this time, he already had ‘keep ur head up’ and ‘brenda had a baby’ that no one gave a shiit about but were later classified classics due to his early death.

people only knew him as an actor (which he truly was), bishop from juice. a role that was not even initially intended for him but for the dude from digital underground who threw him the role for being a good messenger who wipes their azz. he was doing well as an actor but unknown as a rapper, and after two failed rap albums, how do u create an identity for urself as rapper? start beef with most of the already well known rappers. and after successfully beefing rappers, he grew wings and thought he could take it up a notch and beef real street gangsters. good thing they reminded him, the streets aint hollywood where the actor gets to live after death.

legend my yansh.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
[flash=350,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE7HuHB5V0M[/flash]

The above freestyle shows that Jay Z is (potentially) the most lyrically skilled rapper.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2012
Compare to these three freestyles..

Nas as 17-year old in 1991 with Stretch & Bobbito

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHwQa68HIo

Nas as a 17-year old in 1991 with Akinyele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vglA6xfUo64

Nas Desert Storm freestyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccsciGmF5nI
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
ezotik: lol..nas? the armchair activist? hey, im not saying he can't put words together to make a good hip hop track but i doubt he believes his own lyrics. and jay z best described him... "cause the nigga wear a kufi, it doesn't mean that he's bright" so im rolling the jay coz he aint faking the funk.

The same Jay Z that Jaz O wrote his lyrics and gave his style... All the mafioso drug dealing he raps about is the life of Brooklyn Don, Calvin "Klein" Bacote.

Nas already "ethered" him on "ETHER."

#NuffSaid
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 30, 2012
Another Nas freestyle shitting on Jay Z's career...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXbCPQcvsmk
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 4:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
shymexx:

The same Jay Z that Jaz O wrote his lyrics and gave his style... All the mafioso drug dealing he raps about is the life of Brooklyn Don, Calvin "Klein" Bacote.

Nas already "ethered" him on "ETHER."

#NuffSaid

....and nas raps about pablo escobar. and nas ethered nobody, he may have won the battle but jay won the war coz jay signed him and he worked under jay.

and outside 'hip hop', jay has a street named after him in yorubaland. what is nas known for? apart from failing to pay his taxes and a failed marriage?

i found this album cover hilarious btw. nigga is still mourning a woman milked him to the last drop. grin grin

Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 4:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
look at the level nas has fallen to. he is now a hip hop 'video wh0re'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he3DJLXbebI

i dont blame him though, nigga got to survive and keep the kelis cheques coming-in
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
ezotik:
....and nas raps about pablo escobar. and nas ethered nobody, he may have won the battle but jay won the war coz jay signed him and he worked under jay.

and outside 'hip hop', jay has a street named after him in yorubaland. what is nas known for? apart from failing to pay his taxes and a failed marriage?

i found this album cover hilarious btw. nigga is still mourning a woman milked him to the last drop. grin grin

The debate isn't about who the most successful rapper is, nor their personal lives... It's about "Who's better?"

I know 9 out of 10 rappers out there would agree with - even Alicia Keys said the same thing today...

Nas isn't really an outgoing guy, he keeps himself to himself - hence why he isn't as rich as Jay Z... However, if more than two Ivy league professors could write book about your lyrics - and break down the science behind your rap, then you're obviously the greatest... Only Tupac belongs to that conversation!!

Nas and Tupac inspired more than two generations of good rappers - Jay Z inspired a generation of dumb mafioso/drug rappers, enough said...

And they all lied about being drug dealers - fake fvckers! Rick Ross, Camron, Young Jeezy etc. are products of Jay Z rap - while Jay Electronica, Elzhi, J.Cole, Kendrick Lemar are products of Nas rap... grin
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
Lol. Ezotik you can't be serious.
im on "the slave" right now so i cant go in like i want to but...ill be back. I cant believe you trying to play Pac like that.

Your outlook and logic is flawed to the max!
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 5:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
lol..it isnt flawed. if u can tell me who was bumping 2pacalypse and strictly for niggas when they came out (coz i know u werent bumping that shiit grin), then i will know it is flawed.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 30, 2012
ezotik: lol..it isnt flawed. if u can tell me who was bumping 2pacalypse and strictly for niggas when they came out (coz i know u werent bumping that shiit grin), then i will know it is flawed.

Tupac released both albums at age 18 and 20 respectively(revolutionary albums) - what was Jay Z doing at the same age? Jay Z was a bum in Brooklyn rapping like he was speaking in tongues before Jaz O and Nas gave him a new style. grin

Don't let me expose Jay Z and post his rap videos before his new style on Reasonable Doubt - Jay Z was rubbish and his fast rap style back then was so shitty that crack heads would have said: "what the fvck is this nigga on about?" grin

Tupac died at 24 - however, he has sold more records in his grave than Jay Z, and he inspired most hip-hop artists and youths(yours truly included)... That was Black Jesus!!!
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 6:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
most of his peers were also teenagers when they first came out but they held it down unlike tupac who was literally unknown as a rapper until he became controversial and aligned himself with snoop dogg and productions from dr dre who were killing it at that time. btw, snoop was 18/19 when he came out but that didn’t stop him from releasing a classic album unlike tupac.
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
^^^But where was Mr Jay Z back then? He was older than them back then as well? lol

Snoop had the greatest producer ever with him on his first album, and we all know what happened when he left Dr. Dre - he became trash...

Nas had all the best producers at that time with him on his first album as well...

Tupac never had that luxury but his revolutionary message was clear... He gave you "brenda has a baby" and "keep ya head up" - and we all know what happened when he started working with decent producers, he gave us "Me against the world.".... Coupled with the fact that B.I.G used to open up for 2pac and he schooled him on what to rap about... grin
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
Sybellah

What's good?

I love immortal technique - he's a lyricist and he's also far better than Jay Z lyrically...

Another underrated revolutionary rapper...
Re: Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? by ezotik: 6:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
grin jay is a p1mp and was waiting for the right time to p1mp them wannabe gangsters and mobsters. and he sure did p1mp their azzes for all their worth, including damon dash...haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgoqrgc_0cM

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Scholars - Help Me Tackle The Meaning Of Nagudu / Ohafia, Abia State New New Festival / Igbos And Christmas Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.