Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,850 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? (16602 Views)

Why The Igbos Want Biafra And Yoruba/hausa Don't.. Personal Observation. / Afenifere Falae Is Taken By Fulani Kidnappers And Yoruba Do Nothng? Cowards! / President Jonathan And Yoruba Oba's, Blessing Or Curse? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:05am On Oct 30, 2012
Even though many people especially from southern Nigeria have always pointed up North as the problem of Nigeria, it seems southern groups always put their energy fighting shadows. How can a Yoruba person be fighting an Igbo person vice-versa when they both have a common enemy. You'll also notice that whenever these southern groups want to form an alliance they'd rather look up North than forming it with their southern brothers. We all know the suspicion that exists between groups in the south especially between Igbos and Yorubas and it seems to be increasing by the day. We keep arguing over the same thing everyday. The Igbos keep accusing the Yorubas of their stand during the Biafran civil war and the Yorubas are ever ready to defend their role in the 3-year long war and it seems nobody wants to compromise their position during the war. Since we'll always agree to disagree, how possible is a unified Southern Nigeria considering the fact that these two groups are the lifeline of southern Nigeria. Will Southern Groups(Igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Ijaw, Efik/Ibibio, Urhobo/Isoko) ever forge a common front and fight the common enemy? How possible is a Unified Southern Nigeria?
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by tpia5: 10:18am On Oct 30, 2012
i think some people need to stop fixating on which tribe is what, or whoever, and find other things to do.

the world doesnt revolve around igbo and yoruba.

there is flooding- go and help your brothers and sisters who are in dire straits.

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:20am On Oct 30, 2012
tpia@:
i think some people need to stop fixating on which tribe is what, or whoever, and find other things to do.

the world doesnt revolve around igbo and yoruba.

there is flooding- go and help your brothers and sisters who are in dire straits.
Did you miss your way? Oya get out of here osiso....

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by tpia5: 10:22am On Oct 30, 2012
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by tpia5: 10:22am On Oct 30, 2012
afam4eva:
my osiso mama....
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by ifyalways(f): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2012
@Afam, are you talking about offline or online unity ?

Our igbo and Yoruba senators, governors, ministers are very much united in looting our collective funds, mind you. Seems this division and fight mode is only existing "online", IMO.

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by PointB: 10:36am On Oct 30, 2012
@Op,

Oil and water to mix. We culturally different from the Yorubas, besides the Yorubas are too clannish, and have shown several times that they cannot be trusted. Without trust, there can't be unity. Even the Hausa trust the Yoruba's man as same way, a man will trust a green snake in a green grass. The fact that we share the same country and space with them is the unfortunate consequence of the civil war loss.

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:39am On Oct 30, 2012
PointB: @Op,

Oil and water to mix. We culturally different from the Yorubas, besides the Yorubas are too clannish, and have shown several times that they cannot be trusted. Without trust, there can't be unity. Even the Hausa trust the Yoruba's man as same way, a man will trust a green snake in a green grass. The fact that we share the same country and space with them is the unfortunate consequence of the civil war loss.
You may or may not be right. But since we're southern neighbors and as long as Nigeria exists we'll need each other.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:40am On Oct 30, 2012
If Ndi Igbo can grow pastthe following;

- Biafra

- Awolowos alleged Betrayal/genocide

Then Yes.. We and the Yorubas can be friends and get along..

However, its engraved in the psyche of ndi Igbos not to trust a Yoruba person.. I wonder if its all about Awolowo or if there is more. And itt seems the Yorubas have sensed this and are reciprocating..

I wonder if Yorubas are also raised to dislike/distrust Igbos?!

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by tpia5: 10:42am On Oct 30, 2012
you folks have nothing else doing that can occupy your time?
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:42am On Oct 30, 2012
Okija_juju: If Ndi Igbo can grow pastthe following;

- Biafra

- Awolowos alleged Betrayla/genocide

Then Yes.. We and the Yorubas can be friends and get along..

However, its engraved in the psyche of ndi Igbos not to trust a Yoruba person.. I wonder if its all about Awolowo or if there is more. And itt seems the Yorubas have sensed this and are reciprocating..

I wonder if Yorubas are also raised to dislike/distrust Igbos?!
Igbos distrust for Yorubas started after the civil war. There was no such distrust before the war.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:42am On Oct 30, 2012
tpia@:
you folks have nothing else doing that can occupy your time?
I thought i used koboko to chase you out of this thread. Wetin bring you come here again. Oya SCRAM...
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by misterh(m): 10:42am On Oct 30, 2012

@op, i think you can see the mindset of an average Igbo man.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:44am On Oct 30, 2012

Please expand... I never knew that the Hausas also distrusted the Yorubas..
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by tpia5: 10:45am On Oct 30, 2012
@ afamthe goat

i dont think you're normal.

you have serious issues, for real.

why not fixate on america and the american national anthem since na there your joblessness dey?
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by PointB: 10:45am On Oct 30, 2012
afam4eva:
You may or may not be right. But since we're southern neighbors and as long as Nigeria exists we'll need each other.

We need each other does not mean we can trust each other. Yorubas cannot be trusted, so we need not place any faith in them, even if we need them.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:46am On Oct 30, 2012
tpia@:
@ afamthe goat

i dont think you're normal.

you have serious issues, for real.

why not fixate on america and the american national anthem since na there your joblessness dey?
Why are you commenting on a thread that you spat on earlier on. If the thread stinks then get out.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:47am On Oct 30, 2012
PointB:

We need each other does not mean we can trust each other. Yorubas cannot be trusted, so we need not place any faith in them, even if we need them.
It's not about trusting each other or placing our fate on each other. It's just about cooperating with other southern groups to break away from the Northern Oligarchy.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by PointB: 10:47am On Oct 30, 2012
misterh: @op, i think you can see the mindset of an average Igbo man.

Well, Buhari, and Ribadu will feel the same way about Yoruba. So quit that average Igbo man's drivel. No groups trust Yoruba's in Nigeria. That's a fact. But hey, it doesn't mean we can't get along.

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:48am On Oct 30, 2012
PointB:

Well, Buhari, and Ribadu will feel the same way about Yoruba. So quit that average Igbo man's drivel. No groups trust Yoruba's in Nigeria. That's a fact. But hey, it doesn't mean we can't get along.
It's not just Yorubas. We don't trust each other in Nigeria and that's the truth.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by tpia5: 10:51am On Oct 30, 2012
PointB:

which part of who cares about your opinion and who is trying to "get along" with you, are you not getting here?

identify the yorubas who want to work with you, and get along with them while desisting from disturbing the peace of others who dont engage in all this rigmarole.

jeez.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Afam4eva(m): 10:52am On Oct 30, 2012
tpia@:

which part of who cares about your opinion and who is trying to "get along" with you, are you not getting here?

identify the yorubas who want to work with you, and get along with them while desisting from disturbing the peace of others who dont engage in all this rigmarole.

jeez.
See the hypocrite...
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by PointB: 10:56am On Oct 30, 2012
tpia@:

jeez.

Get out of the kitchen little woman, if you can't the heat. A thread you claim you detest, yet you have made a whooping three comments in the very first page! Silly hypocrite!

See why Yorubas can't be trusted. Here is one expressing one thing, and doing exactly the opposite!
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by achi4u(m): 10:56am On Oct 30, 2012
ifyalways: @Afam, are you talking about offline or online unity ?

Our igbo and Yoruba senators, governors, ministers are very much united in looting our collective funds, mind you. Seems this division and fight mode is only existing "online", IMO.
I think he meant offline unity which cannot be possible because to every Igbo/Yoruba person something is embeded in our memory which is hatred,enviousness,jelousy et c tra.
Igbo and Yoruba were like 'two brothers',"one is moving ahead the other want to remain stagnant and at the same time want to draw his brother back"(no bashing pls)

So,to answer ur quest,there will be no mutual unity btw the two brothers,this two brothers have married with kids and responsibilities...what they need is SEPREATION.

1 Like

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by achi4u(m): 11:14am On Oct 30, 2012
afam4eva:
It's not about trusting each other or placing our fate on each other. It's just about cooperating with other southern groups to break away from the Northern Oligarchy.
"After breaking away from the Northern Oligarchy"?,with who?,the same people who will ensure that Igbos MUST be anihilated from the map of the earth?
Anyway,we need to heal our old wound first before forging ahead but who will bow to who?
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Desola(f): 11:17am On Oct 30, 2012
achi4u: I think he meant offline unity which cannot be possible because to every Igbo/Yoruba person something is embeded in our memory which is hatred,enviousness,jelousy et c tra.
Igbo and Yoruba were like 'two brothers',"one is moving ahead the other want to remain stagnant and at the same time want to draw his brother back"(no bashing pls)

So,to answer ur quest,there will be no mutual unity btw the two brothers,this two brothers have married with kids and responsibilities...what they need is SEPREATION.

Hatred is not embedded in the Yoruba man against the ibos. Infact, we didn't really pay attention to your existence until you lot started attacking and gloating. A case study is this site itself. Yorubas always turned deaf ears to your bravado and lies until you constantly brought Awolowo into the frame. You nagged and nagged us and we are now paying you due attention. The average Yoruba man has no time for all the rubbish you lot spew out but there is only so much a sane person can take and that is the reaction you all are now getting from us.

10 Likes

Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by PointB: 11:20am On Oct 30, 2012
afam4eva:

Yorubas are not ready to break away from the North. The fear of North is very palpable among Yorubas leaders. Any suggestion about breaking away from the North will surely be leaked to the North.

In simply words, the Southern group dont have reliable partner in Yorubas.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:23am On Oct 30, 2012
I noticed that most of the responses here are focused on Nairaland as a case study.. Please we are shifting to the larger society..

I was subtly warned as a child to not go and bring a Yoruba girl home o!! I never quite got it, but somehow, I knew that A yoruba marriage would never be sanctioned both by my folks and the umunnas.

Now, this rivalry between Yorubas and Igbos is rather serious especially with the rural Igbos..

If its simply based on the civil war, then I think its only goingto be a matter of time and it will die and fade away as that generation dies off, however, if its bigger than the civil war, then that is the knowledge I am seeking. I would like to know where this rivalry stems from..
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by kunlekunle: 11:23am On Oct 30, 2012
its not possible for lots of plebs on nairaland, but let Tinubu and okorocha sit and talk dollars and oil and toast champagne, afterwards they'll say they can all go join Abacha.
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by PointB: 11:28am On Oct 30, 2012
kunlekunle: its not possible for lots of plebs on nairaland, but let Tinubu and okorocha sit and talk dollars and oil and toast champagne, afterwards they'll say they can all go join Abacha.

lol. We are still saying the same thing. After the talk between Rochas and Tinubu, I bet you Tinubu will be the first to renege.

Where you not here the other day, when Fashola argued against amending the constitution in favour regionalism. A position actively canvassed by other Southern groups
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by achi4u(m): 11:28am On Oct 30, 2012
Desola:

Hatred is not embedded in the Yoruba man against the ibos. Infact, we didn't really pay attention to your existence until you lot started attacking and gloating. A case study is this site itself. Yorubas always turned deaf ears to your bravado and lies until you constantly brought Awolowo into the frame. You nagged and nagged us and we are now paying you due attention. The average Yoruba man has no time for all the rubbish you lot spew out but there is only so much a sane person can take and that is the reaction you all are now getting from us.
This thread is about the unification of Igbos & Yorubas to fight for 'our common enemy or right'
The truth is that oil and water can never mixt together.I don't even have time to all this e.fighting.
thank you
Re: Igbo And Yoruba Unity - How Possible? by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 30, 2012
It's never going to happen..if all i've seen here on Nairaland is a guide.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Don't Do Business In Your Home - Fashola / Aregbesola: APC Demands Judge’s Resignation Over Impeachment Call / Niger-Delta Avengers Twitter Handle Suspended (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.