Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,228 members, 7,780,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:13 PM

Letter To All Nigerian V.cs - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs (8375 Views)

Top Ten Universities With Finest V.cs???? / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs / Letter To All Nigerian V.cs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by shegzy(m): 11:15am On Oct 30, 2012
LETTER TO ALL NIGERIAN V.Cs

Sir, one of the problems in many, if not all Nigerian universities is that some of the Vice- Chancellors (V.Cs) are too far away from their students despite the fact that they are on campus with their students! They often erroneously believe that getting close to their students is condescending. Whereas, getting close to the students will create mutual understanding as communication gap will be bridged.

To underscore my points, how many V.Cs operate an open-door policy in which their students have direct access to them? How many V.Cs give out their mobile line to student for direct communication? In this information and communication age, how many of our powerful V.Cs are on the Facebook or any other social network medium with which their students can pass information across? If President Goodluck Jonathan can find Facebook useful in sharing information with Nigerians, why are our V.Cs still hiding in the comfort of their offices?

Apart from matriculation and graduation ceremonies, many Nigerian V.Cs are not visible, hence, many students don’t know their V.Cs throughout the four years spent on campus. This is not good. V.Cs should manage our campuses by opening up to the students, wandering about the campuses to know what is going on; if possible, sit for a few minutes in a lecture room to listen to the lecturers.

I am propelled to challenge all our V.Cs this way as a result of my recent encounter with the University of Ibadan (UI) VC, Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole. I had heard so much good reports about Prof. Adewole since he was appointed, but l never met him or saw him physically because of protocols built around him.

However, at a christening ceremony of a new born baby of Mr & Mrs Sunday Saanu, the VC’s media man, which I attended, I was lucky to have met my VC at the occasion. I was shocked when l saw the UI VC along with his wife, attending the ceremony. Mr Saanu introduced us to the VC as students at Ibadan. I was dazed with the humility displayed by our highly respected VC. He shook hands with all of us and exchanged banters. Prof. Adewole was lively, friendly and amiable; he even took photograph with us. I was more than happy and excited. When he was leaving the ceremony, he gave us “transport fare” as an expression of his love for us. It was as I was dreaming.

Since then, my impression about him changed. I now know that if our VCs can be closer to their students, there will be less tension on our campuses. I have been carrying the picture I took with my VC around and my friends are envious just as my fiancée now respects me more because she sees me as VC’s friend.

Prof. Adewole is even on Facebook. I have added him as my friend. This is how our VCs should open up. We want to interact with them in order to have solution to our problems. I therefore say kudos to Prof. Adewole for setting a good example for others to follow. He should keep up the good work he has started at Ibadan. Indeed, if Prof. Adewole continues this way, he will see that nobody will demonstrate against him throughout his tenure. Our political leaders should learn lesson from this. When we would have voted for them, they have this habit of hiding away from us until election time. Our leaders should be visible and available.

Fatai Arisekola,(08062207481)

University of Ibadan

Dept. of Library, Archival and Information Studies

300 Level

Faculty of Education

9 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by yinka500: 3:34am On Oct 31, 2012
@moderator! I suggest that this article should make the first page. So that our leaders and leaders' to be will be able to know that they should make themselves reachable/available to hear the voice of the mass directly and I think this article can help and bring peace in the country.....Peace!
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by bigx(m): 6:47am On Oct 31, 2012
Lol at "transport fare".

There are security issues to consider too, kidnap, elimination, etc
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by SirMethod: 6:52am On Oct 31, 2012
Seconded
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by kenono(m): 6:54am On Oct 31, 2012
Good letter, but which one of them will ever read this undecided? undecided
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Ariyke: 6:54am On Oct 31, 2012
Nice thread
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by FlyboyZee: 6:55am On Oct 31, 2012
@ OP. Nobody, not even the so-called Politicians wishes to hide away from the masses, the truth remains that you will not understand how busy these people can get as soon as they get into these offices, until when you work with them or fill in one of those offices. Secondly, if you talk more closely with the VC, you would have notice that there would have been like a handful of people that wants him out of that office by all means and as such, he has to protect himself by mostly avoiding the public or else he is a dead man walking.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 31, 2012
@op! Are you currently a student of UI who has already proposed to a girl, or you are a graduate who deem it necessary to share his past experience with people?

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Jorian(m): 7:02am On Oct 31, 2012
nice one there, you are truely a student. To show my appreciation of your good work, am gonna buy you a biscuit when i get to the market

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by DexxyAlebs(m): 7:04am On Oct 31, 2012
Ariyke: Nice thread
Prof Saburi Adejimi Adesanya (OAU's former DVC) of OOU (osu) is setting pace here, we students believe we attend the NEW OOU, He created some avenues to report admin staff asking for money when it's their job to do, nw lecturers beg us for classes, exam would end nov and we are resuming another session in dec.
OSU DON CHANGE O!

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by deltadegre: 7:23am On Oct 31, 2012
nice one there
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by igbokwesampson(m): 7:28am On Oct 31, 2012
well thats nice but i think you need to come to michael okpara university of Agriculture umudike and see for yourself then you will know that the VC UI is jxt begining, prof Hillary Edeoga of MOUAU is jxt wonderfull ,he does all those things u mentioned above. A man that do call out his phone no, not public number ,i mean personal phone number to students in a public servant. Little wonder he was named the beat VC ,2012@ Igbokwe sampson c.well thats nice but i think you need to come to michael okpara university of Agriculture umudike and see for yourself then you will know that the VC UI is jxt begining, prof Hillary Edeoga of MOUAU is jxt wonderfull ,he does all those things u mentioned above. A man that do call out his phone no, not public number ,i mean personal phone number to students in a public servant. Little wonder he was named the beat VC ,2012@ Igbokwe sampson c.well thats nice but i think you need to come to michael okpara university of Agriculture umudike and see for yourself then you will know that the VC UI is jxt begining, prof Hillary Edeoga of MOUAU is jxt wonderfull ,he does all those things u mentioned above. A man that do call out his phone no, not public number ,i mean personal phone number to students in a public servant. Little wonder he was named the beat VC ,2012@ Igbokwe sampson c.

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by codeine123: 7:31am On Oct 31, 2012
shegzy: LETTER TO ALL NIGERIAN V.Cs

Sir, one of the problems in many, if not all Nigerian universities is that some of the Vice- Chancellors (V.Cs) are too far away from their students despite the fact that they are on campus with their students! They often erroneously believe that getting close to their students is condescending. Whereas, getting close to the students will create mutual understanding as communication gap will be bridged.

To underscore my points, how many V.Cs operate an open-door policy in which their students have direct access to them? How many V.Cs give out their mobile line to student for direct communication? In this information and communication age, how many of our powerful V.Cs are on the Facebook or any other social network medium with which their students can pass information across? If President Goodluck Jonathan can find Facebook useful in sharing information with Nigerians, why are our V.Cs still hiding in the comfort of their offices?

Apart from matriculation and graduation ceremonies, many Nigerian V.Cs are not visible, hence, many students don’t know their V.Cs throughout the four years spent on campus. This is not good. V.Cs should manage our campuses by opening up to the students, wandering about the campuses to know what is going on; if possible, sit for a few minutes in a lecture room to listen to the lecturers.

I am propelled to challenge all our V.Cs this way as a result of my recent encounter with the University of Ibadan (UI) VC, Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole. I had heard so much good reports about Prof. Adewole since he was appointed, but l never met him or saw him physically because of protocols built around him.

However, at a christening ceremony of a new born baby of Mr & Mrs Sunday Saanu, the VC’s media man, which I attended, I was lucky to have met my VC at the occasion. I was shocked when l saw the UI VC along with his wife, attending the ceremony. Mr Saanu introduced us to the VC as students at Ibadan. I was dazed with the humility displayed by our highly respected VC. He shook hands with all of us and exchanged banters. Prof. Adewole was lively, friendly and amiable; he even took photograph with us. I was more than happy and excited. When he was leaving the ceremony, he gave us “transport fare” as an expression of his love for us. It was as I was dreaming.

Since then, my impression about him changed. I now know that if our VCs can be closer to their students, there will be less tension on our campuses. I have been carrying the picture I took with my VC around and my friends are envious just as my fiancée now respects me more because she sees me as VC’s friend.

Prof. Adewole is even on Facebook. I have added him as my friend. This is how our VCs should open up. We want to interact with them in order to have solution to our problems. I therefore say kudos to Prof. Adewole for setting a good example for others to follow. He should keep up the good work he has started at Ibadan. Indeed, if Prof. Adewole continues this way, he will see that nobody will demonstrate against him throughout his tenure. Our political leaders should learn lesson from this. When we would have voted for them, they have this habit of hiding away from us until election time. Our leaders should be visible and available.

Fatai Arisekola,(08062207481)

University of Ibadan

Dept. of Library, Archival and Information Studies

300 Level

Faculty of Education
Nice write up.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Omexonomy: 7:33am On Oct 31, 2012
In all my years in lasu i never saw my vc and dean of faculty i only saw my HOD once in a section that is only when student want to ==== thier score.
So sad and so bad that most of us then dont even know our deans name
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by cyril83(m): 7:39am On Oct 31, 2012
Who are these people sef.....kids
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by free2ryhme: 7:48am On Oct 31, 2012
Omexonomy: In all my years in lasu i never saw my vc and dean of faculty i only saw my HOD once in a section that is only when student want to ==== thier score.
So sad and so bad that most of us then dont even know our deans name

na dean and VC name u come do for schol abi u just wan graduate grin grin grin
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by dridowu: 7:54am On Oct 31, 2012
I remeber also when i met the immediate past VC twice( Prof Olufemi Bamiro ) ,first during condolence visit at his official residence,when his lovely wife Gloria Bamiro die , still yet he talk to us like FATHER,. Second was at his officie, he told was his dream and vision for UI. REPRESENTING NNAMDI AZIKIWE HALL THEN,UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, MY ALMA MATER
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by khattab008: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2012
Nice write wish they would all read it
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by spartanian(m): 8:09am On Oct 31, 2012
I always saw my VC almost every week when I Was in school, student were even complaining that he Was too common
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Sleek05(f): 8:16am On Oct 31, 2012
Prof Olagbemiro, VC of Bowen University. Proud of dat man. We see our VC at least twice in a week. He dished out his number 2 any1 dat wants 2 have it and responds promptly 2 any call/text msg. I've cald him on various occassions and he responded n evn asked me and those affected 2 come see him. Once, he dashed my friend some money when she needed it badly. No lecturer dares witch-hunt us or sell us a textbook/handout by force, no lecturer dares molest/harass a female student except he is tired of his/her job. Very open and humble man n dat has by no means made him lesser dan he is. I think VC's should emulate this man.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Demdem(m): 8:29am On Oct 31, 2012
Considering current security challenges like kidnapping, it may be pretty difficult for them.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Afam4eva(m): 8:49am On Oct 31, 2012
Why mjust the VCs be close to the students? Don't they have HODs and professors. Do they want to kidnap the VC? If you don't want to learn then get out and start learning mechanic or conductor. No be by force to go school.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Digits90(m): 8:53am On Oct 31, 2012
Thumbs up 4 d author
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by mcqt21: 9:07am On Oct 31, 2012
Pls help n post a topic on d front page on d persistent rise of clearance n sch fees of newly admitted student of federal universities...uniben clearance card is nw 45k...excludin sch fees which wil b about 40k...pls let's form a topic on it because dis is a federal sch 4 grim sake...poor man pikin no fit go sch again o
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by EXCELLENCEAbia: 9:09am On Oct 31, 2012
being friendly is an act of leadership. Every one of them can't do it Because most of them are not leaders. And with the present situation of nija and security, even the VC's don't trust their security men then talking of students

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by megawax8: 9:11am On Oct 31, 2012
onli he who wears d shoe knos wher it hurts....i guess mani of u hav neva bin in ani form of power....u liv ur door open to everyone,u pave a wonderful pathway for ur death.....ova familiarity brings contempt.....imagine ur a lady n dis one guy is stalkin u cos he fils u culd u do him dis favor by sayin yes to his request to date him n he iz well aware dat notin cn happen btw u guys n happens to come across ur fone numba,sorry babe,ur sure gona lose slip n dis is jst one gal havin to cope wit one insane guy......imagine a vc dat has to cope wit probably 30 000 sane n insane pple........its jst a senerio
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by hoodboy(m): 9:13am On Oct 31, 2012
afam4eva: Why mjust the VCs be close to the students? Don't they have HODs and professors. Do they want to kidnap the VC? If you don't want to learn then get out and start learning mechanic or conductor. No be by force to go school.
dude foolishness is a bad thing. You don't have to wear it like a placard

1 Like

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by mhsanni(f): 9:20am On Oct 31, 2012
It's more of a Nigerian thing.. we have been programmed to 'worship' our leaders to the extent they now see themselves as 'superior beings' that cant mingle with their subordinates. there may be a few exceptions though just as the op pointed out. Right from primary school...I cant remember having any cordial relationship with my headmaster. My principal in high school was so feared by both teachers and students alike that you could pee in your pants if she happened to pass by... whereas in my school now, the V.C is friendly to all students. Am sure most students if not all have his mobile number...and I have called him a couple of times on it to make some enquiries especially when am lazy to walk down to his office... I also remember visiting a governor's house while on a trip to another state with my friends... I doubt if I can try that in Nigeria... Even in our respective homes how many people have a cordial relationship with their gate men or maids? Not to talk of inviting them to eat with us in the dinning room for instance..Anyways like I said earlier we have been programmed to asume Lordship over anyone below us and to revere those above us and breaking this 'jinx' is seen either as 'weakness' on the part of the leader or 'insolence' on the part of the subordinate. So very little can be done to reverse dat...

4 Likes

Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by asudan: 9:28am On Oct 31, 2012
well to some extend you are right but going by the security challenge we are facing in Nigeria, I think it is impossible to a large extend but remember that the rate of kidnapping is alarming that eveery one is a supect.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Afam4eva(m): 9:58am On Oct 31, 2012
hoodboy: dude foolishness is a bad thing. You don't have to wear it like a placard
Only one who's foolish will know whether it's a good or a bad thing. Sorry i don't do stupidity, so i don't know what you're facing.
Re: Letter To All Nigerian V.cs by Nimi22(f): 10:20am On Oct 31, 2012
The VC of my school prof. Sunday Adelabu of Uniabuja is so close to the students dat even the staff beefs him. They dont like the way he comes to our hostel to give us things (money, recharge cards, foodstuffs, bags of purewater amongst others). Almost every student have his numbers. He interacts with students as if we are his children. He's just so close to us.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Weac 2015/2016 Result Out, Check And Upgrade... / Uniben Clearance / 2016/2017 Waec Gce English Language Expo/ Obj And Theory Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.