Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,482 members, 7,808,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? (18668 Views)

Which Do You Prefer Between Chicken And Turkey? / Where Does The Word 'garri' Come From? / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Moshkom(m): 6:05pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ol na Poverty tyns nau...
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 08, 2012
Yellow gari produces rich spam according to doctors. But i prefer white garri from OtuOcha

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Rick9(m): 6:31pm On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Sunbellar: 6:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
Angel_777: bhahahahahahaha
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by true2god: 7:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ravenwolf: I am a bit of a Garri connoisseur, i grew up in Emene, a suburb of Enugu, we owned a farm and made most of our food including garri, although i do not intend to deflate the ego of all the Ijebu people here.... But the bitter truth is 'Ijebu garri is not an exclusive preserve of the Ijebu's' i remember those days whenever we made our garri, a large chunk of it would be marked out for eba and a smaller portion for snacking(as in soaking tinz after school) the one for eba after it has been ground into a fine paste at the mill would be taken to the press immediately and all the Juices taken out almost immediately by turning the steel press to the highest dial... After about twelve hours we would then go back to the mill and collect the caked bags of unfried garri, the hearth would then be superheated , and the cakes of garri sieved to remove particles and inedible cassava twigs, we would then fry the garri occasionally turning it, and adding some palm oil to it, which is what gives it its yellow lustre. Note that its the occasional stirring that allows it to lump, when the garri is dry you take it out of the frypot and air cool it before storing it in sacks.

Now for the Ijebu garri which we too out earlier, beginning at the mill, we let it rest on the ground for about two hours after it has been ground into a fine paste, this is to allow the juices penetrate the grains, thereafter its taken to the press where the pressure would be adjusted every two hours or so till the next day, this allows the garri paste to ferment... This is the most important thing for it gives the garri that wonderful tangy and bittersweet taste, and a certain milky taste.... How i love milk garri!!!! When frying it we adjust the heat very often for high heat would just spoil our efforts, we also stir like crazed people so the garri would be superfine.

I love those bygone days!!!!
This is pure garios scientololgy. Good analysis. It seems u did Gariumcology in school. What faculty r u?
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Princessaleeza: 7:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
Guitarlife: Garri ijebu ko, garri Ifo ni. Abeg give me garri Ibadan joor.
garri Ibadan is not dry & is not sweet either,It has sand. Am not Ijebu but garri Ijebu is sweetest,but i dont like it 4 eba cos it ll slap mouth. I prefer Igbo garri 4 eba,but is not sweet 4 drinking joor.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by wawaboy1(m): 7:20pm On Nov 08, 2012
Princessaleeza:
garri Ibadan is not dry & is not sweet either,It has sand. Am not Ijebu but garri Ijebu is sweetest,but i dont like it 4 eba cos it ll slap mouth. I prefer Igbo garri 4 eba,but is not sweet 4 drinking joor.
i cant forget the taste of sokoto garri

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Sunbellar: 7:29pm On Nov 08, 2012
Garri! Garri!! Garri!!!

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Lexo22(m): 7:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
Odinaka00: Chai! Mod thank you so much, I jux quickly prepared this now

bros u be ukeheite?

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by eyitayo007(m): 7:35pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ijebu garri for drinking and making eba , yellow garri for Eba alone
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by harlos: 7:43pm On Nov 08, 2012
If na person wey dey drink garri wella like me,ah omo garri-ijebu make sense

As for yellow garri na eba e good for daadaa ntie
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by harlos: 7:52pm On Nov 08, 2012
sauceEEP: ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Yellow garri till i disapear for dis earth.
i sure say u be omo ibo
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Lexo22(m): 7:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ravenwolf: I am a bit of a Garri connoisseur, i grew up in Emene, a suburb of Enugu, we owned a farm and made most of our food including garri, although i do not intend to deflate the ego of all the Ijebu people here.... But the bitter truth is 'Ijebu garri is not an exclusive preserve of the Ijebu's' i remember those days whenever we made our garri, a large chunk of it would be marked out for eba and a smaller portion for snacking(as in soaking tinz after school) the one for eba after it has been ground into a fine paste at the mill would be taken to the press immediately and all the Juices taken out almost immediately by turning the steel press to the highest dial... After about twelve hours we would then go back to the mill and collect the caked bags of unfried garri, the hearth would then be superheated , and the cakes of garri sieved to remove particles and inedible cassava twigs, we would then fry the garri occasionally turning it, and adding some palm oil to it, which is what gives it its yellow lustre. Note that its the occasional stirring that allows it to lump, when the garri is dry you take it out of the frypot and air cool it before storing it in sacks.

Now for the Ijebu garri which we too out earlier, beginning at the mill, we let it rest on the ground for about two hours after it has been ground into a fine paste, this is to allow the juices penetrate the grains, thereafter its taken to the press where the pressure would be adjusted every two hours or so till the next day, this allows the garri paste to ferment... This is the most important thing for it gives the garri that wonderful tangy and bittersweet taste, and a certain milky taste.... How i love milk garri!!!! When frying it we adjust the heat very often for high heat would just spoil our efforts, we also stir like crazed people so the garri would be superfine.

I love those bygone days!!!!

bros that soar/bitter taste of ijebu garri is as a result of its high concentration of glycosidic cyanide(a metabolic poison)and not fermentation as every cassava derivatives viz garri,fufu,abacha etc must pass through fermentation process in other to reduce this poison concentration (that is Y u don't eat most cassava species raw or after mere cooking). so biochemically speaking the more soar/slap/bitter garri tastes the more cyanide it contains. so in conclusion Ijebu garri contains more cyanide thus i personally detest it while the yellow garri contains red oil (an anti-poison to some an extent)which helps in neutralizing the cyanide thus i prefer the yellow garri.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by ignis: 8:38pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thok: cheesy.. Wow finally a G4 thread..
On the front page.

2 Likes

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by MarioHeaven(m): 8:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
Landlord travle and c. Hv u heard of garri ozu abam or garri bende? Igbos put oil just fun.
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by legalwealth(m): 8:00am On Nov 09, 2012
k2039: ijebu all the way.

Garri ye ma n kan gan.
Agaga ti ba mu garri yen pelu eja kika.

Garri lover and eka kika to bad...

You funny pass...

2 Likes

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by sucezTP(f): 8:08am On Nov 09, 2012
bongila: I'm quite partial to Ijebu garri soaked with all the necessary things(milk,sugar,peanuts etc)however,for the purpose of making eba,I'll go with yellow garri.

Me too..
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by floridam(m): 9:03am On Nov 09, 2012
Highbros: Do people still soak garri? Its been long o.
What a question! It's either you are missing the delicious garri water or you are forming.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Flowers2127: 11:12am On Nov 09, 2012
The Urhobo garri which is the yellow. A lot sweeter than white
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by RKVINTLTD: 11:54am On Nov 09, 2012
I am an Ijebu Man but I face fact in all I do.

I believe Gari is Gari what ever the colour. Both Yellow and Ijebu Gari are Carbohydrate.

Taste of individual in terms of satisfaction differs due to diversity in Culture, belief, Norms, ethnicity.

Gari Ijebu is good for Eba with Egusi Soup.
Gari Igbo is good for Eba with Egusi soup.
Gari Ijebu is good for Drinking with cold water without sugar and with dried fish.
Gari Igbo is good for Drinking with Sugar without anything.
Gari Ijebu Eba can stay long for at least 2 days. You can eat Evening & next morning.
Gari Igbo Eba Can only stay for 1 day, you can not eat it seconday.

Therefore I believe Gari Ijebu is more economical, compared to Gari Igbo.

I prefer Gari Ijebu to Gari Igbo.

You can dring Gari Ijebu without Sugar, Fish, Meat or anything.
You can not drink Gari Igbo without Sugar for instance.

Gari Ijebu by my analysis is the best Gari.

Keep on drinking Gari Ijebu for Life.
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by UjSizzle(f): 12:15pm On Nov 09, 2012
Soaking levels na ijebu garri complete with cold water, sugar n groundnut. The slap is unrivaled.

For making eba, yellow garri na confirm mgbadume(did i spell dat well?). Always the best for pesin wey wan chop bellefull.
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by ayodot(m): 1:57pm On Nov 09, 2012
ijebu garri, all the way.
he as been my first love and I'll never leave him no matter What
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Rick9(m): 3:57pm On Nov 09, 2012
I must chop my garri. Chop my garri #singing
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Rick9(m): 3:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
Like our garri page on facebook click this https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=444141528969779&refid=5
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by harlos: 8:03pm On Nov 09, 2012
Princessaleeza:
you don spoil ibadan garri be dat...meeeeeeeehn
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by harlos: 8:08pm On Nov 09, 2012
RKVINTLTD: I am an Ijebu Man but I face fact in all I do.

I believe Gari is Gari what ever the colour. Both Yellow and Ijebu Gari are Carbohydrate.

Taste of individual in terms of satisfaction differs due to diversity in Culture, belief, Norms, ethnicity.

Gari Ijebu is good for Eba with Egusi Soup.
Gari Igbo is good for Eba with Egusi soup.
Gari Ijebu is good for Drinking with cold water without sugar and with dried fish.
Gari Igbo is good for Drinking with Sugar without anything.
Gari Ijebu Eba can stay long for at least 2 days. You can eat Evening & next morning.
Gari Igbo Eba Can only stay for 1 day, you can not eat it seconday.

Therefore I believe Gari Ijebu is more economical, compared to Gari Igbo.

I prefer Gari Ijebu to Gari Igbo.

You can dring Gari Ijebu without Sugar, Fish, Meat or anything.
You can not drink Gari Igbo without Sugar for instance.

Gari Ijebu by my analysis is the best Gari.

Keep on drinking Gari Ijebu for Life.

I spot a repetition here and it makes the story very looooooooonnng...

Anyway u are on point garri ijebu ni ooo...
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by toygod2: 10:30pm On Nov 09, 2012
IJEBU GARRI LODU

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by tpia5: 8:23am On Feb 09, 2013
nikkyshyne: [size=16pt]I be ijebu babe. Ijebu garri all the way!![/size]

abi o.

everybody loves ijebu garri.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Otunbaworldwide(m): 10:10pm On Feb 20, 2013
I can supply Garri Ijebu at affordable price. 08063228187.

1 Like

Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Rick9(m): 10:29pm On May 25, 2013
[size=48pt]Garri Nation[/size]
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by ogele: 6:52am On Jun 01, 2013
Can't stay 2 days without Garri, as someone who born in Warri and grew up within that locality, the Yellow Garri is the in thing.
Re: Ijebu Garri Or Yellow Garri~which Do You Prefer? by Defaramade(m): 10:35pm On Jun 28, 2013
Garri baba agba on point...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Make Onunu (Mashed Yam And Plantain) / Lagos Hosts First Beer Festival / Why "Hungry Man" On Indomie Pack?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.