Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,010 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Language Barriers In Mosques - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Language Barriers In Mosques (9117 Views)

MEND Threatens To Bomb Mosques & Assasinate Imams / Are Atheists Allowed In Mosques? / Alevi Muslims Refuse To Worship In Mosques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Language Barriers In Mosques by tbaba1234: 12:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
For muslims like myself from minority tribes living in the south west, coming on time for jumah service on Fridays could be difficult.
This is because in many mosques, the language is yoruba and when some of the khatibs (may Allah be pleased with them) try to speak in english, It is not so great. There are a few exception to the rule but the vast majority are like this.

Id say i really started enjoying the khutbah on fridays when i moved to the west simply because it is in english.

We need more young, dynamic, knowledgeable and articulate brothers giving khutbahs in Nigeria. How do you give dawah to a person from a different tribe?, you invite him to the mosque and not only does he not understand the prayer, he doesn't understand the sermon.

I feel all mosques should speak in english particularly in places like lagos, they may later translate to yoruba to appease those that prefer it that way. The assumption that everyone is yoruba is oppression. grin

5 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by ossyme(m): 12:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
Efforts by those who understand English in getting themselves thoroughly schooled in islamic/arabic sciences are siMply inadequate. And where you find brothers who can, most are not prepared to take up the herculean task ........i for one have been so engulfed in putting bread on the table for my family thru these so called white collar jobs that i simply ask for Allah's forgiveness. Books of knowledge at home but i don't teach them.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by tbaba1234: 12:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
I hear it is even worse in the North, they repeat the same khutbah every week in some places... One of the khutbahs given by Usman dan fodio. It is terrible.

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by busar(m): 1:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
there are mosques that do present the kutbah in english but they are very few.Like the mosque in airforce base ikeja and some other mosques in Lag.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by maclatunji: 1:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
tbaba, you don't understand Yoruba? You can adjust with Arabic (Good for you). When I went to serve, the pre-khutbah was done in Hausa. The Imam would arrive about 15-20 minutes before the prayer. Read the same Khutbah every week in Hausa and that was it!
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by tbaba1234: 1:47pm On Oct 30, 2012
^ I understand yoruba to an extent (because i lived in south west) but it doesn't mean i want to be listening to it for 45 mins... My name is deceptive, people think im yoruba when they hear it.

There is a serious institutional problem with Islam in Nigeria both in the North and south, the jumaah prayer is supposed to be a time when people get reminders for the week but it is wasted. Young muslims in the south west are leaving Islam for christianity?? Do you know how ridiculous that is... The only place that happens is probably in Nigeria and other poor african Nations.

They have no knowledge of Islam, we have not provided them with any knowledge. That is one of my goals someday, to start or be involved in a programme that empowers muslim youths to be able to know about Islam enough to give dawah particularly in the south west and gradually move into the south east and south south Insha Allah.

We need to start giving dawah, because if we don't dawah will be given to us.

4 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by vedaxcool(m): 1:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
But this happens to be a problem all over Nigeria, whether in the North, Central, West East or S-South, People simply just "oppress" you with their language, grin grin grin grin any way, I don't see it ending any time soon, These sort of behaviour, is very even common in Institutions of higher learning, I guess Nigerians really love their languages?
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by tbaba1234: 1:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
vedaxcool: But this happens to be a problem all over Nigeria, whether in the North, Central, West East or S-South, People simply just "oppress" you with their language, grin grin grin grin any way, I don't see it ending any time soon, These sort of behaviour, is very even common in Institutions of higher learning, I guess Nigerians really love their languages?

In some states, it is understandable. In lagos and other more multicultural states, We should accommodate more people.

When an Igbo person becomes muslim, he still has to attend the mosque blasting yoruba...
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by vedaxcool(m): 2:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
tbaba1234:

In some states, it is understandable. In lagos and other more multicultural states, We should accommodate more people.

When an Igbo person becomes muslim, he still has to attend the mosque blasting yoruba...

Lagos is not quite multi-cultural, as it is definitely a Yoruba state, in fact Yoruba seems to be the Language of choice there, and sometimes even supposedly neutral places like abuja, the language issue still persist, but I think Ansarul - Islam, the one I attended sometimes back, actually preach in English and then translate into Yoruba, in Abuja. Now, maybe you should try attending Jummuat in Mosques located at school premises, there is a huge probability they will likely speak english rather than Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by siddiq202(m): 5:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
vedaxcool:
...These sort of behaviour, is very even common in Institutions of higher learning, I guess Nigerians really love their languages?
I think you are wrong on that.
I don't have the opportunity to travel to many states in the country where I can attend Jumah service in institutions of higher learning, but the few ones I've attended (some schools from lagos to kwara) present sermon in english language. Perhaps you should mention schools where sermons are delivered in other languages rather than english

2 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by tbaba1234: 8:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
vedaxcool:

Lagos is not quite multi-cultural, as it is definitely a Yoruba state, in fact Yoruba seems to be the Language of choice there, and sometimes even supposedly neutral places like abuja, the language issue still persist, but I think Ansarul - Islam, the one I attended sometimes back, actually preach in English and then translate into Yoruba, in Abuja. Now, maybe you should try attending Jummuat in Mosques located at school premises, there is a huge probability they will likely speak english rather than Yoruba.

Are you kidding me? Lagos is completely multicultural ... The percentage of Igbos in Lagos state alone is pretty high, i would think. Islam is not only for yorubas and hausas, There should be an effort to make dawah to people of other tribes. Trust me, There are people out there just begging for Islam but there is no one reaching out to them. It is supposed to be our responsibility.

I have attended jumuah in Unilag and they speak in english but sometimes the speeches are about politics not islam. We also have to give speeches relevant to the youth and the challenges they face in a modern world.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by chakula: 11:37am On Oct 31, 2012
tbaba,

In the North Nowadays the challenges regarding Khutbah especially on Fridays have taken a new shape because those days we can only listen the sermon in Arabic which all most all the attendants were not really comprehend what the sermon is all about, but now we are very lucky before the Imam presented the sermon, there is a appointed person that can makes it available in our local dialect (Hausa) in order to know the direction of the sermon and it could be easily for us to put into practise what we have learn.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by tbaba1234: 4:15pm On Oct 31, 2012
chakula: tbaba,

In the North Nowadays the challenges regarding Khutbah especially on Fridays have taken a new shape because those days we can only listen the sermon in Arabic which all most all the attendants were not really comprehend what the sermon is all about, but now we are very lucky before the Imam presented the sermon, there is a appointed person that can makes it available in our local dialect (Hausa) in order to know the direction of the sermon and it could be easily for us to put into practise what we have learn.

Salam bro,

Long time,

That is a good move...
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Wizeboy(m): 5:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
tbaba1234:

Are you kidding me? Lagos is completely multicultural ... The percentage of Igbos in Lagos state alone is pretty high, i would think. Islam is not only for yorubas and hausas, There should be an effort to make dawah to people of other tribes. Trust me, There are people out there just begging for Islam but there is no one reaching out to them. It is supposed to be our responsibility.

I have attended jumuah in Unilag and they speak in english but sometimes the speeches are about politics not islam. We also have to give speeches relevant to the youth and the challenges they face in a modern world.

I thought I am the only one that normally observe this, most Khutbah is now based on Politics instead of enlighten and strengthen the faith of people at the Juma'at Service especially the youth. The imam will be busy analyzing the political trend of the country, which is now making Khutbah to loose its relevance.

I believe the earlier this new unfortunate trend is corrected, the better for everyone of us in Islam. If i attend Juma'at Service, I need to hear sermon that will uplift and strengthen my faith and not about what the government is doing right or wrong.

What bring about the language barrier is that, some of the imams are not that educated, as most of them hardly know how to use English in passing message across and using an interpreter can as well make the Khutbah boring sometimes.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Wizeboy(m): 5:17pm On Oct 31, 2012
tbaba1234: ^ I understand yoruba to an extent (because i lived in south west) but it doesn't mean i want to be listening to it for 45 mins... My name is deceptive, people think im yoruba when they hear it.

There is a serious institutional problem with Islam in Nigeria both in the North and south, the jumaah prayer is supposed to be a time when people get reminders for the week but it is wasted. Young muslims in the south west are leaving Islam for christianity?? Do you know how ridiculous that is... The only place that happens is probably in Nigeria and other poor african Nations.

They have no knowledge of Islam, we have not provided them with any knowledge. That is one of my goals someday, to start or be involved in a programme that empowers muslim youths to be able to know about Islam enough to give dawah particularly in the south west and gradually move into the south east and south south Insha Allah.

@bolded... We are surely on the same page bros. May Almighty Allah make it easy and grant us our heart wishes, desires and prayers
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Afam4eva(m): 11:20am On Nov 02, 2012
Why do you think Hausa and Yoruba Muslims go to different mosques. I don't know why Mosque shy away from praying in English despite the fact that Nigeria's official language is English. I wonder how it would be if i entered a redeemed church and the pastor starts speaking in Yoruba. I think this problem is one of the reasons why Islam may never spread beyond it's present borders. How do you want to take Islam to Igboland if you don't communicate in English. I think they have to consider other people that may not be Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Deen4me(m): 11:29am On Nov 02, 2012
My Mosque where I grew up in Surulere , the Kuhtba Is done in 3 languages Hausa English yoruba

Arabic is the language of Islam and Allah chose it to reveal His last testament (The Qur'an) all muslims must endeavor to learn and speak it.

This will give us a better understanding of the religion, as a lot of the meaning is not captured when translated to English or any other language.

That is why most of us (including myself) find it difficult to stand in Awe of Allah during sallah.

May Allah Guide us Aright

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by aryzgreat: 11:30am On Nov 02, 2012
tbaba1234: ^ I understand yoruba to an extent (because i lived in south west) but it doesn't mean i want to be listening to it for 45 mins... My name is deceptive, people think im yoruba when they hear it.

The boldened is a big joke! u dont mix oil and water! i wish u luck in ur dreamland. South east? Mbanu! kama oga eme, egbue m mmadu!

7 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by jide4lagos(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2012
I am also having similar problems here in the north.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by salam001(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2012
aryzgreat:

The boldened is a big joke! u dont mix oil and water! i wish u luck in ur dreamland. South east? Mbanu! kama oga eme, egbue m mmadu!

Meself,i laugh when i read am

2 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 02, 2012
My friend a fulani guy actually complained of the same thing sometime ago, we were together on a friday and when the call for prayer was made he grudgingly got up saying all the preaching will be done in yoruba that he doesn't feel like sitting through all that! I think it will be a good for an interpreter to be put in place so as to accommodate all that may wish to attend the Jumat irrespective of tribe.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by nagoma(m): 11:47am On Nov 02, 2012
tbaba1234: I hear it is even worse in the North, they repeat the same khutbah every week in some places... One of the khutbahs given by Usman dan fodio. It is terrible.

Yes you are right but there is some improvement trend especially in the cities. But the standard khutba those mosques repeat every week is the prophets last sermon on his last Hajj.(It's possible that Danfodio also read that regularly but I don't know about that.)
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by U09ce: 11:51am On Nov 02, 2012
The best way i think to diffuse thru dis barrier is to learn arabic since all the khutbah r delivered in both arabic nd d ambient local language.Eventhough my knowledge of d lang is shallow, i try to grab what d khatib is trying to convey 2 d audience even before the translation.Now,i'm trying to enrol in an arabic skul just to furthr my islamic knowledge.Remember if u are in city A today,u dont know where u will b tomorrow.Jazakumullahu khayran

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Ramcie(f): 12:03pm On Nov 02, 2012
tbaba1234: For muslims like myself from minority tribes living in the south west, coming on time for jumah service on Fridays could be difficult.
This is because in many mosques, the language is yoruba and when some of the khatibs (may Allah be pleased with them) try to speak in english, It is not so great. There are a few exception to the rule but the vast majority are like this.

Id say i really started enjoying the khutbah on fridays when i moved to the west simply because it is in english.

We need more young, dynamic, knowledgeable and articulate brothers giving khutbahs in Nigeria. How do you give dawah to a person from a different tribe?, you invite him to the mosque and not only does he not understand the prayer, he doesn't understand the sermon.

I feel all mosques should speak in english particularly in places like lagos, they may later translate to yoruba to appease those that prefer it that way. The assumption that everyone is yoruba is oppression. grin

OP you are NOT from a TRIBE but from a particular ETHNIC GROUP.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Fiver: 12:11pm On Nov 02, 2012
I think it wouldn't hurt to bring this to the attention of the imams or his entourage before prayers next time, little by little they will get translators even if they can't do it themselves afterall most of them can speak it, they will be many volunteers amongst the hieracy who would gladly stand next to the imam with a mic to translate.

Or better still before the sermon make an announcement that you'd like them to translate as there are young people losing out, many would gladly come up with a solution- don't know about those alfas in ilorin though tongue
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Nobody: 12:17pm On Nov 02, 2012
While supporting ur post for d emergence of a young knowledgeable Imam, I'm urging u also to go to Juma'at Mosque in time irrespective of Language being used for Khutubah. This barrier is inevitable on d surface of earth, but status quo (Islamic principles) must be maintained.

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by gbogboti: 12:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
Islam should hold itself to SW, NW and NE abeg. We no fit shout! We no wan troubles abeg. Why will they speak English when their sermons are always "go and kill the infidels". Abeg Abeg Abeg...

4 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
It's good, but we all know too well that what is most important is the prayer-proper that is said in arabic.

Many Asians working in VI here pray in many mosques in VI here where Yoruba is spoken. The first time I saw SLS was in Eti-Osa LG mosque on Muri Okunola in VI in late 2008. As a Fulani, he surely wont understand the Yoruba that was being used for sermon that day, but what was most important to him was the prayer proper said in Arabic.

I however agree that it's time English was introduced into our mosques too, especially in environments like VI and other parts of Lagos where there are many non-indigenous Muslims.

1 Like

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by lekanwj(m): 12:33pm On Nov 02, 2012
tbaba1234:

I have attended jumuah in Unilag and they speak in english but sometimes the speeches are about politics
not islam. We also have to give speeches relevant to
the youth and the challenges they face in a modern
world.
tbaba your arguments seems to be more confusing than probing.
You where worried that in most places in Lagos they deliver the sermons in Yoruba and someone said you shoul go attagement prayers in schools.
You later said most time the sermon in schools are sometimes about politics and you will prefer other sermons.
BA WAO! ONCE HUMANS DECIDES NOT TO PLEASED NOBODY CAN PLEASE THEM. I don't expect sermons on youth to be said every Friday just like that on politics.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by lekanwj(m): 12:34pm On Nov 02, 2012
tbaba1234:

I have attended jumuah in Unilag and they speak in english but sometimes the speeches are about politics
not islam. We also have to give speeches relevant to
the youth and the challenges they face in a modern
world.
tbaba your arguments seems to be more confusing than probing.
You where worried that in most places in Lagos they deliver the sermons in Yoruba and someone said you
should go attend prayers in schools.
You later said most time the sermon in schools are sometimes about politics and you will prefer other sermons.
NA WAO! ONCE HUMANS DECIDES NOT TO PLEASED NOBODY CAN PLEASE THEM. I don't expect sermons on youth to be said every Friday just like that on politics.
Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by ignis: 12:39pm On Nov 02, 2012
I learnt arabic is the only language that allah understand. Allah slightly understand hausa language. But english language? No way.

4 Likes

Re: Language Barriers In Mosques by edub45(m): 1:04pm On Nov 02, 2012
Truth hurts bt I really think english sermons in the mosque will be yet another reason for muslim youth ''like myself'' not to learn arabic. ALLAH SAW has said in the quran that we have revealed the quran in arabic so can be easy to learn. The question is why dont youths strive to learn arabic the same way they do trying to learn english. For those that are intrested in english sermon visit muftimenk.co.za. And for learning arabic visit madinaharabic.com and download their pdf.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

12 Quick Ways For Parents To Inspire Manners To Their Children / When Was Hajj Made Compulsory? / How Did Your Eid-ul-kabir Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.