Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. (33094 Views)

The Minimum Salary Of A Roughneck In Nigeria / Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know / 5 Things Every Unemployed Nigerian Graduate Should Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 31, 2012
richarts: Any ideas. This salary you will mention should not include tax. Pls whats your take on the minimum with reason?
180k per month for a start... Else, bye-bye

2 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 31, 2012
grin
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hmmm... People with loads of comments now. Its probably people with bulging eyes who are looking for job were in the career section earlier cause there was no response.

However, nice contribution though. The question is not directly for me but its gonna indirectly affect a decision I will make now or soon. Thanks all.

As for me, it all depends on the individual sha. Whatever is good for you. But 75k is not bad atall.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 31, 2012
Maricuzi: After NYSC 2010, I got a teaching job @ 15k. Less than 8months I got a contract job @ 110k for 16months. Now am out of d job, searchin for a new one

The 110k really help cos I ve a camry now and a little savings for feedin , till I find a new job.

God is Able

I feel u shudnt av bought the camry. Knowing fully well thats its a contract job but anyway u av ur reasons man. Stay calm, ud get a job soon.

1 Like

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Akposkool(m): 2:59pm On Oct 31, 2012
Wel if its a lady,40 to 60k wil do.cus there is evry possibility she might have a nice guy who can atleast take care of some of her needs.but if its a guy plz d lowest should be 70k cus responsibilities yakpa for am.e.g. Garl mata,younger ones and some miscellaneous.am nt saying d average Nigerian lady dnt hav such responsibilities sha.bt d larger burden falls on d male
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Ournaija: 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2012
Maricuzi: After NYSC 2010, I got a teaching job @ 15k. Less than 8months I got a contract job @ 110k for 16months. Now am out of d job, searchin for a new one

The 110k really help cos I ve a camry now and a little savings for feedin , till I find a new job.

God is Able

You worked as a contract staff for 16months and you bought yourself a camry. You are really a foolish man. undecidedYou know you will be out of job soon and nothing told you to put up a business/investment.

10 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
Anyway this may also be a medium to call upon our employers to be considerate because at the end of the day, "a happy employee is a profitable organization".

3 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by sushieater: 3:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
prince FAD: i get 728k monthly after tax and i am still demanding for more smiley
Victim alert.. For kidnappers though
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:04pm On Oct 31, 2012
trix!:

500 buks a day for food? breakfast/lunch/dinner?

[b]Yes o!!

Breakfast - Lipton (10 naira) or sachet coffee (20 naira), Sugar (20 Naira will last you for 2 days). milk (30 - 50 naira for Cowbell).. No bread.

Lunch - Mama Put of 200 naira - 300 naira can work miracles!!

[img]http://1.bp..com/-vqU4JzFqnUU/TWURhUQc57I/AAAAAAAAACQ/Bhgc40exHPI/s1600/eating1.JPG[/img]

Dinner - Buy fried Yam (10 naira a piece) comes with sauce. Fried fish costs 50 naira. Sometimes you substitute the fish for more yams. You can tweak this dinner to include Potatoes and plantain as well..
Also, Indomie is also an option (35 Naira per sachet of the standard size and 3 sold for 100 naira).. A very filling dinner in served!!

All dishes are served with a *10 Naira sachet of 'pure' water.

This estimate was done based on my NYSC experience in Calabar where my House rent (1 bedroom self contained) was 150,000 naira per year.. I had to pay for communal generator at 5 thousand Naira per month. No water or Light bills.

NYSC Allowee = 9500 Naira.
Place of Primary Assignment Salary = 15,000 Naira.

[/b]

5 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 31, 2012
100,000 isn't bad for a start. Especially for someone who has to buy a TM lewin shirt, a ferragamo belt and a Zara shoe. Moreover elegushi beach dey once in 2months ooh.

1 Like

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by methodman(m): 3:07pm On Oct 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Yes o!!

Breakfast - Lipton (10 naira) or sachet coffee (20 naira), Sugar (20 Naira will last you for 2 days). milk (30 - 50 naira for Cowbell).. No bread.

Lunch - Mama Put of 200 naira - 300 naira can work miracles!!

[img]http://1.bp..com/-vqU4JzFqnUU/TWURhUQc57I/AAAAAAAAACQ/Bhgc40exHPI/s1600/eating1.JPG[/img]

Dinner - Buy fried Yam (10 naira a piece) comes with source. Fried fish costs 50 naira. Sometimes you substitute the fish for more yams. You can tweak this dinner to include Potatoes and plantain as well..

All dishes are served with a *10 Naira sachet of 'pure' water.

This estimate was done based on my NYSC experience in Calabar where my House rent (1 bedroom self contained) was 150,000 naira per year.. I had to pay for communal generator at 5 thousand Naira per month. No water or Light bills.

NYSC Allowee = 9500 Naira.
Place of Primary Assignment Salary = 15,000 Naira.

....You are very funny

1 Like

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2012
methodman: ....You are very funny

How?! angry

I lived this life for an entire year o!!

#RespectmyHustle....

2 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Shalome(m): 3:10pm On Oct 31, 2012
80k is Good for Starters...
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by feelamong(m): 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
Okija_juju: Your base salary should be dependent on the standard of living in your area..

Now a graduate who has to pay for the following;

1. Electricity.

2. Transportation (Atleast 300 naira Daily #Base Case)

3. Accomodation (1 Bedroom self-contained)

4. Food (500 Naira per day)

5. Clothing (5000 Naira per month)

6. Miscellenous expenses (Toileteries, Recharge card, Fuel for his I-Pass-My-Neighbour, Gas for his Camp-gas, e.t.c)

And lives in any of the following cities;

1. Abuja

2. Lagos

3. Port-Harcourt

4. Calabar

5. Warri

Cannot accept a job that pays anything less than 100,000 per day and survive without extra-income coming from elsewhere.

At this point in my professional life (my experience level o), my base salary for any job is 200 Thousand Naira per month after taxes and must come with atleast 2 bonuses every year.

Guy, this ur list no try at all! What about the money for flexing with my babe? Body No be Fire wood allowance nko? undecided
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 31, 2012
If asked to advise I wont advise a graduate to reject a 50k per month job. I will only advise him further to be on the look-out for better opportunities while diligently carrying out that one, at least to gain reasonable experience.

Beyond the pay some other factors go into it - knowledge/personality of the person, what the job entails, location etc.

When someone who has an MBA sought my advice for an offer of 31k per month in a new tax consultancy outfit, I told him to take it. My reasons: 1, knowing the guy's financial discipline, I know he can live and even save on 30k 2, you wont know that is what he is earning when you see him dressed for that job 3, tax is an interesting specialization and I know he stands to learn a lot 4, he can gain reasonable experience that can be useful in getting better jon 5, 30k better than staying idly at home earning zero income 6, by his very humble nature, I knew he wont mind

On a personal note, when I finished university, I set a standard that I wont take any job that pays me less than 150k per month. And it came to pass.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Oct 31, 2012
My first employer in 2005 offered me 12,000 naira a month and thought I will reject the job, but he was shocked that I took the job. I studied the business we were into and resigned in 6 months, got another job for 25k same year, was there for 2yrs, get a few connects from there and started importing. So I basically turned millionaire after 2yrs of working experience and at youthful age cos I never reject money or salary. Its always a step to something greater. Pass forward to this date, am rich. Don't reject salary, no matter how small.

7 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:19pm On Oct 31, 2012
Billyonaire: My first employer in 2005 offered me 12,000 naira a month and thought I will reject the job, but he was shocked that I took the job. I studied the business we were into and resigned in 6 months, got another job for 25k same year, was there for 2yrs, get a few connects from there and started importing. So I basically turned millionaire after 2yrs of working experience and at youthful age cos I never reject money or salary. Its always a step to something greater. Pass forward to this date, am rich. Don't reject salary, no matter how small.

Did you have someone

- sheltering you?!

- Feeding you?!

- supporting you financially?!

Or did you survive on just 12,000 every month..
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by ifyalways(f): 3:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
dridowu: Cant say 4 precise salary but If transport alone takes 60-70%, dn i believe d job doesn't what it
is your certificate "worth" 30K?

@topic, when you visit the vacancies section and other job sites, you'll appreciate whatever you are earning now. There are NO jobs people! I pity the average Nigerian graduate with no contacts, grace/hand of God, excellent grades and street wise. (born hustler)

Old sojas never die.

2 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Panshow(m): 3:24pm On Oct 31, 2012
I don't know the minimum amount a graduate is suppose to take as monthly salary, but i always know that half bread is better than none.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Did you have someone

- sheltering you?!

- Feeding you?!

. I survived. I am a survivor. I had no one except a friend I happen to meet on street level.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by ifyalways(f): 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Did you have someone

- sheltering you?!

- Feeding you?!

not speaking for him but its possible.IF the job is such that he can get daily tips and side cuts.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by ballabriggs: 3:28pm On Oct 31, 2012
Most of the wages I see here can hardly earn you a decent living. I'd rather work for free in a reputable firm rather than earn such peanuts. As a corper in 2004, I was already earning 50k a month and living in my family house in Lagos. So I didn't have to bother about accommodation, all I earned was spent on transport and going out in Lagos. Why then will you pay a graduate peanuts that can hardly provide him a decent living.

Young people in Nigeria need to wake up and understand what stares them in the face or it will consume them all.

1 Like

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Cultured(m): 3:29pm On Oct 31, 2012
Billyonaire: My first employer in 2005 offered me 12,000 naira a month and thought I will reject the job, but he was shocked that I took the job. I studied the business we were into and resigned in 6 months, got another job for 25k same year, was there for 2yrs, get a few connects from there and started importing. So I basically turned millionaire after 2yrs of working experience and at youthful age cos I never reject money or salary. Its always a step to something greater. Pass forward to this date, am rich. Don't reject salary, no matter how small.

Buddy your success story has K-Leg written all over it . How did you raised capital for your importation business?

2 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by mkoabiola: 3:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
prince FAD: i get 728k monthly after tax and i am still demanding for more smiley
Hmmmmmmmm
Which kind oFfice or work u de
728k na lie jooooooo.
Wen country no de smile
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
Billyonaire: . I survived. I am a survivor. I had no one except a friend I happen to meet on street level.

WOW!!!

Forgive me though but how did you manage the following;

- Rent

- Miscellenous (Phone, e.t.c)

- Transport (If you paid any)

- Food

on 12'k.

I almost starved to death on 22'k per month salary and had to run to daddy every now and again for help. And please what city was this?!

1 Like

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Okijajuju1(m): 3:32pm On Oct 31, 2012
mko abiola:
Hmmmmmmmm
Which kind oFfice or work u de
728k na lie jooooooo.
Wen country no de smile

Bros... If you find that unbelievable, then you are living in a shell..

I know a guy that makes 80,000 a day as his salary..

2 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 31, 2012
Cultured:

Buddy your success story has K-Leg written all over it . How did you raised capital for your importation business?
I started importation of just 1 car, and that was Honda Accord that I won't forget. The cost was $2100+shipping then. And buyer had to bring part payment for clearing, I am telling this story for others to gain from. I am no more importing cars now, but branched into oil/gas and properties.

2 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

WOW!!!

Forgive me though but how did you manage the following;

- Rent

- Miscellenous (Phone, e.t.c)

- Transport (If you paid any)

- Food

on 12'k.

I almost starved to death on 22'k per month salary and had to run to daddy every now and again for help. And please what city was this?!
I borrowed shoes and tie, to wear to work some days. My driving force was my goal in life cos I knw all I wanted was to stay alife and wait for time to start my goal of entrepreneurship.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by Cultured(m): 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
Billyonaire: I started importation of just 1 car, and that was Honda Accord that I won't forget. The cost was $2100+shipping then. And buyer had to bring part payment for clearing, I am telling this story for others to gain from. I am no more importing cars now, but branched into oil/gas and properties.

You must be frugal, I mean, for you to have saved up to $2100 within 2 years, from your meagre N25,000 per month salary then.
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by ifyalways(f): 3:42pm On Oct 31, 2012
You millionaires never get tired of telling us about your millions. Please can you guys extend a helping hand to the numerous applicants on the jobs section?I've bookmarked your usernames and will buzz y'all whenever we have a nlder in need.
As you share your stories on here, it won't be bad to help a soul here too.

5 Likes

Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by mrperfect(m): 3:44pm On Oct 31, 2012
Interest discuss
Re: The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. by TayoT: 3:45pm On Oct 31, 2012
Toh!
trix!:

You did not take accommodation into cognizance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When Will Nigerian Lawyers Stop Wearing Wigs, Looking Like Fools To The World? / My Experience With A Random Warri Boy / NBA To Investigate Prof Ndifon, Baddest Lawyer, Adamawa REC, Others.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.