Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

A thread for corpers posted to Abia - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / A thread for corpers posted to Abia (13627 Views)

Posted to Abia State, NYSC Batch B 2014 / A Thread For Corpers Posted To Abia State! / A thread for corpers posted to Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
Posted to Ohafia bt in need of accmdtn.... Any help pls?
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by CrazyMan(m): 11:16pm On Dec 19, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Posted to Ohafia bt in need of accmdtn.... Any help pls?
Ohafia kaa o...

Where in ohafia were you posted to?
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Ask4bigneyo(m): 10:02am On Dec 20, 2012
CrazyMan:
Ohafia kaa o...

Where in ohafia were you posted to?

kaa oo.... Was posted to precious academy nt too far frm barrack n secretariat..
Are u in ohafia? Wia exactly?
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by CrazyMan(m): 1:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: kaa oo.... Was posted to precious academy nt too far frm barrack n secretariat..
Are u in ohafia? Wia exactly?
Wao...so you're in ebem...that's where the barracks is.

I'm not very familiar with precious academy, but I know the barracks very well.

I'm here for the Igba Uche celebration...I'm based in Anambra state though.

But don't worry, I'm sure you'll get accommodation...ohafia is a great place, and its inhabitants are friendly.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:43pm On Dec 20, 2012
CrazyMan:
Wao...so you're in ebem...that's where the barracks is.

I'm not very familiar with precious academy, but I know the barracks very well.

I'm here for the Igba Uche celebration...I'm based in Anambra state though.

But don't worry, I'm sure you'll get accommodation...ohafia is a great place, and its inhabitants are friendly.

Which one is igba uche celebration again?
Dis Ohafia ppl self!
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by CrazyMan(m): 3:27pm On Dec 20, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Which one is igba uche celebration again?
Dis Ohafia ppl self!
Ha ha ha...I'm half ohafia...my mum is from there, but my dad is from Anambra state.

The Igba Uche celebration is more like a retirement celebration.

The senior citizens of the community are made to give back something to their community before they retire.

It could be a secondary school, a bore hole, a hospital...etc.

Once the project has been completed, they would dedicate it to their community and then retire.

The Igba Uche celebration proper runs for about three days. On the first day, the celebrating age group goes on procession round the village, dressed in the traditional clothes and blouse and head ties for women or T shirt, wrappers and walking sticks for the men. The procession is full of lavish and splendor.

The members, made of men and women, dance to the drums, and gongs, the flutes and the songs being played.

On the second day, they hand over the project they built to the community. This could be a school, a road, a borehole or any other project that impacts positively on the lives of the people of a community in Ohafia. Just like I stated earlier.

On the third day, the community comes alive in what is regarded as the grand finale.

Each family erects a marquee, called efe, with clothes as covering. Visitors are served drinks, kola-nuts, foods...etc. All kinds of gifts, as it is done during weddings, in return for a small donation (each donation is written in a visitor’s book).

On the front of the marquee, there is often a large photograph of the family’s person of honour who is being celebrated...

In the absence of funding from the State and the Local Government, the Igba Uche ceremony is now a way of organizing and bringing development to rejected communities...
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Ask4bigneyo(m): 5:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
CrazyMan:
Ha ha ha...I'm half ohafia...my mum is from there, but my dad is from Anambra state.

The Igba Uche celebration is more like a retirement celebration.

The senior citizens of the community are made to give back something to their community before they retire.

It could be a secondary school, a bore hole, a hospital...etc.

Once the project has been completed, they would dedicate it to their community and then retire.

The Igba Uche celebration proper runs for about three days. On the first day, the celebrating age group goes on procession round the village, dressed in the traditional clothes and blouse and head ties for women or T shirt, wrappers and walking sticks for the men. The procession is full of lavish and splendor.

The members, made of men and women, dance to the drums, and gongs, the flutes and the songs being played.

On the second day, they hand over the project they built to the community. This could be a school, a road, a borehole or any other project that impacts positively on the lives of the people of a community in Ohafia. Just like I stated earlier.

On the third day, the community comes alive in what is regarded as the grand finale.

Each family erects a marquee, called efe, with clothes as covering. Visitors are served drinks, kola-nuts, foods...etc. All kinds of gifts, as it is done during weddings, in return for a small donation (each donation is written in a visitor’s book).

On the front of the marquee, there is often a large photograph of the family’s person of honour who is being celebrated...

In the absence of funding from the State and the Local Government, the Igba Uche ceremony is now a way of organizing and bringing development to rejected communities...

thumbs up.....

1 Like

Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Ask4bigneyo(m): 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2012
Need help on how to get to abia frm abeokuta instead of goin to lag...?

Dat Lasgidi hold-up....Huh!
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by adim2(m): 8:57pm On Dec 30, 2012
Look for a bus going to onitsha or owerri, i think this two destinations are easier to find. Then when you get there. Take abia line to umuahia.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by CrazyMan(m): 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
adim2: Look for a bus going to onitsha or owerri, i think this two destinations are easier to find. Then when you get there. Take abia line to umuahia.
Your advice is good, but going to onitsha or owerri first would be a waste of time.

From onitsha to owerri is slightly above an hour drive (minus the time spent in looking for passengers)

Then from owerri to Umuahia is also roughly 2 hours (minus loading time)

So if you calculate the time the bus leaves Abeokuta to onitsha along with the time spent on looking for passengers in the subsequent buses, and hold ups encountered along the way, you might end up reaching Umuahia by midnight.

I would suggest that he goes to lagos, and get a direct bus to abia...it would be cheaper, faster, more convenient and less stressful.

Take a bus from Lagos to Umuahia, stop at tower, and charter a keke napep (Okada has been banned there so you won't find any) to ohafia park.

From ohafia park, you would get a bus (ohafia line) to Ebem direct.

Good luck and safe journey.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by adim2(m): 11:04am On Dec 31, 2012
CrazyMan:
Your advice is good, but going to onitsha or owerri first would be a waste of time.

From onitsha to owerri is slightly above an hour drive (minus the time spent in looking for passengers)

So if you calculate the time the bus leaves Abeokuta to onitsha along with the time spent on looking for passengers in the subsequent buses, and hold ups encountered along the way, you might end up reaching Umuahia by midnight.

I would suggest that he goes to lagos, and get a direct bus to abia...it would be cheaper, faster, more convenient and less stressful.

Take a bus from Lagos to Umuahia, stop at tower, and charter a keke napep (Okada has been banned there so you won't find any) to ohafia park.

I would not even advice that. The buses over here in lagos leaves for east latest around 9am. And he is coming from Abeokuta calculate the time he will leave his house. Let's say 6am he gets a bus and gets to lagos by here without traffic by 8 am without traffic imagine the traffic in lagos. And there are few buses going to umuahia. Which includes ubi, peace mass, abia line. So i don't even know the bus you are recommending for him. Umuahia bus is difficult to get. I am more knowledge in this area and i know what i am saying. Coming to lagos will be the greatest mistake because if he comes and there is no bus then, he has to still settle for onitsha. So the probability of getting umuahia direct from lagos is even difficult. And why stop at tower, when they can stop him at gate and he will walk down and get ohafia bus not far from where they stopped him.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Ask4bigneyo(m): 11:08am On Dec 31, 2012
CrazyMan:

which means i still hav to go back to lag n that is wat am tryin to avoid.... Well, al d same... I really appreciate ur effort.
U guyz r too gbasky!
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by adim2(m): 11:17am On Dec 31, 2012
When u get to onisha, there is no need going to owerri again. Because you will get a direct bus to umuahia. When you get to onisha, u can get umuahia from peace mass which is treckable or you take bike of 100naira going to itc which is not also close to abia line. There, u will get a direct bus to umuahia. Going to owerri from onisha is wasting of time. But i will advice u check peace mass first.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by CrazyMan(m): 12:13pm On Dec 31, 2012
adim2: When u get to onisha, there is no need going to owerri again. Because you will get a direct bus to umuahia. When you get to onisha, u can get umuahia from peace mass which is treckable or you take bike of 100naira going to itc which is not also close to abia line. There, u will get a direct bus to umuahia. Going to owerri from onisha is wasting of time. But i will advice u check peace mass first.
Good...but you should note that he's a visitor in onitsha.

So trying to locate the ITC park which is on the other side of the bridge would be quite difficult for him.

In the evening bikes charge as high as N500 just to transport you acrosss the bridge.

So assuming his bus runs into a severe hold up at ore, and he gets to onitsha say by 8pm, do you think it would be easy for him being a visitor to locate the peace park, ITC park and others...even if he eventually locates it, how sure are you that those transport companies would still have buses going to Umuahia by that time.

His best option is to move directly from Lagos.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by adim2(m): 1:21pm On Dec 31, 2012
Calculate the same thing for lagos. All i am saying is that abia has limited buses here in lagos and to get buses here is difficult even for we in lagos. He will get them here in jibowu or mile 2 and most times this buses will tell you that they are going to abia and at the stop you in owerri. But he has τ̲̅ђe choice to make.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by ednut1(m): 8:02am On Jan 01, 2013
off to umuahia on thursday, ohuhu community sec skul amagwugwu, sobs what a shitty place
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by adim2(m): 8:18am On Jan 01, 2013
Safe journey man.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by gomeek(f): 8:52pm On Mar 01, 2013
So can batch A 2013 meet now? #justasking#
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by carrielove: 10:46pm On Mar 01, 2013
Hi, am caroline, finished frm madonna uni okija, marketing dept. Abia all d way. Pin is 271fc6c9
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by carrielove: 10:55pm On Mar 01, 2013
Pls where is d direction frm umuahia 2 d camp ground.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Oxytocin712: 12:08am On Mar 02, 2013
gomeek: So can batch A 2013 meet now? #justasking#
yes, you are welcome to Gods Own State
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Oxytocin712: 12:16am On Mar 02, 2013
carrielove: Pls where is d direction frm umuahia 2 d camp ground.
carrielove: Pls where is d direction frm umuahia 2 d camp ground.
once u arrive Umuahia, take a tricycle going to Bende-park (#50). From there u enter a bush going to camp. But in most cases once u drop @ the park, present corp members will be there waiting to direct you. Bec those tricycler are waiting to devor ur cash.
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Alice07: 1:18am On Mar 02, 2013
Hi, my name is alice from LASU mass comm. I have been posted to abia. U can contact me on 08088158667
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by adim2(m): 1:58am On Mar 02, 2013
am one of the ex batch A corps. when you get to gate, in umuahia, the corps members will direct you to where you will get bende bus. it might cost you from 250-300 not so sure of the amount again. and for any question u can ping me on 2325bd92
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Jaideyone(m): 2:16am On Mar 02, 2013
I've been posted to abia too. I've never been outside the southwest. How the phuck am i supposed to get down there
Re: A thread for corpers posted to Abia by Nobody: 3:12am On Mar 02, 2013
Hey.My name is Jesse, U.I., BOTANY..posted to Abia too. My number is 08135364193. 2go: jesse808

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Photos From The 2014 President's NYSC Honours Award At The Villa / American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC / Corps Member In Osun Commmissions Borehole In This Recession Period (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.