Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency (6755 Views)

I Criticised Jonathan Nothing Happened, I Criticised Buhari & I Get Death Threat / Chime: Elitist One-sided City Beautification Criticised / Ajimobi Sacks 3 Commissioners For Inefficiency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by gramci: 7:10am On Nov 01, 2012
The management of the TV station is yet to give official reason for the abrupt terminationof the broadcast
The management of Bayelsa State Television, on Tuesday, stopped a live programme after the invited guests berated the state government’s handling of the victims of flood disaster.
The one hour long programme at the state owned television station, called Gloryland Television , was terminated after 25 minutes when Tamarakuro Oweifie, the General Manager, directed the programme’s anchorto draw the curtains.
Mr. Oweifie told PREMIUM TIMES he would explain the reasons for the abrupt end of the programmeafter “he finishes with his investigations.”
Subsequent enquiries were not responded to.
End of discussion
Morris Alagoa, one of the invited guests at the programme said that he was surprised at the sudden decision to end their discussion.
“We have not even attacked the state government, just saying it the way we saw things in our impacted communities and administration of the relief camps,” said Mr. Alagoa, an environmental activist.
Mr. Alagoa and Godwin Ebbeli, another activist, were billed to speak on the flood situation that has ravaged several communitiesacross the Niger Delta region.
While Mr. Alagoa, who had visitedseveral of the communities, spoke on the impact of the flood on the people; Mr. Ebbeli focusedon the state government’s handling of the situation, especially the funds released for the victims.
“He (the general manager) thought we will speak like government officials,” Mr. Alagoasaid.
In addition to the N500 million provided by the Federal Government to mitigate the disaster, the Bayelsa State Government had approved N1.5 billion from the state’s coffers, according to Mr. Ebbeli.
The state’s House of Assembly had also approved a supplementary budget of N16 billion in the aftermath of the disaster.
Mr. Ebbeli questioned the government’s handling of the funds, adding that it had not reached the real victims of the flood.
That was when the TV station’s management felt they had gone too far.
“First of all they stopped the program as if it was the usual breaks for commercials.
“Then a staff came into the studio and told us, especially my fellow guest, Sir. Godwin Ebbeli that the GM (General Manager) isnot comfortable with some statements we were making about the government,” Mr. Alagoa said.
After the commercial break, the programme resumed.
However, a few minutes into the segment, a hand written signal appeared through a glass screen directing the moderator, Joyce Ogiowon, to end the programme.
“When we came out of the studio, some of those watching it from outside expressed surprise too; why the programme ended the way it did,” Mr. Alagoa added.
It was not exactly clear why the programme was ended abruptly but there were indications that Mr. Oweifie acted on orders from above to secure his job .
While he apologized to the guestsover the incident, the general manager did not give reasons for his action, which also reportedly angered other members of staff.
“Be rest assured that the programme will take place on a day we all agree,” Mr. Oweifie, a former staff of the Nigeria Television Authority, said in response to PREMIUM TIMES’ enquiry.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/105458-bayelsa-tv-abruptly-ends-live-programme-after-guests-criticised-governments-inefficiency.html
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Olaolufred(m): 7:59am On Nov 01, 2012
IF THIS IS TRUE, THEN THE BAYELSANS ARE IN FOR SOMETHING.
SOMETHING NIGERIANS SUFFERED LAST UNDER ABACHA/OBJ.

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by ifyalways(f): 8:23am On Nov 01, 2012
That is Nigerian politics for you. You either say what the man in power wants to hear or you keep shut.no room for another POV or constructive criticism
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Abagworo(m): 8:55am On Nov 01, 2012
ifyalways: That is Nigerian politics for you. You either say what the man in power wants to hear or you keep shut.no room for another POV or constructive criticism

It is BayelsaTV owned by the State Government.

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by eikeem(m): 9:25am On Nov 01, 2012
I'm sure that NTA would have done the same. This is the only country where one man engages in a debate with himself on a national TV!

10 Likes

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Bawss1(m): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2012
Disgraceful conduct for a news-house.

Big shame.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 01, 2012
It haf 'be' for bayelsians!
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by foyeks2001(f): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2012
eikeem: I'm sure that NTA would have done the same. This is the only country where one man engages in a debate with himself on a national TV!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by CLIQBOY(m): 9:31am On Nov 01, 2012
Hmmm..bayelsa people just start dere suffering o
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by WizPrince1(m): 9:32am On Nov 01, 2012
Hmmm...The Gov't Must Not Be Criticised Here Koz All Flood Victims Are Well Taken Care Of.... Maybe Its Because of another thing that made him Drew The Curtains of the Program.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by ifyalways(f): 9:32am On Nov 01, 2012
Abagworo:

yeah I know. My point was, shouldn't there be fair and free debate/discussion? Why end the programme abruptly because the men chose not to lick the governor's or whoevers a.rse?

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by jamp: 9:34am On Nov 01, 2012
People should mind what they say here before they end NL grin grin
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by ifyalways(f): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2012
Wiz-Prince:
Hmmm...The Gov't Must Not Be Criticised Here Koz All Flood Victims Are Well Taken Care Of.... Maybe Its Because of another thing that made him Drew The Curtains of the Program.
whatever reason, they should have atleast explained to the guests and programme anchor.

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by playcharles(m): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2012
just passing by...no comment....I LOVE NIGERIA AS A NATION, BUT HATE....Oops i forgot, just passing by...........
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Asemo11(m): 9:37am On Nov 01, 2012
Abagworo:

yes oh
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by easyfem(m): 9:43am On Nov 01, 2012
If it's tru dat D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣ embezzle d money, dat is cruel ɑ̤̥̈̊и̲̮̣̥̅̊∂ un usual punishment... Human being are grieve sha
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by WizPrince1(m): 9:45am On Nov 01, 2012
ifyalways: whatever reason, they should have atleast explained to the guests and programme anchor.

There Are Some Reasons that are Beyond Explanations at a particular time. Why Will the Guests Be Insulting The State Gov't At a Public view? Its Bad...! There're other ways to solve issues and not by that.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by airfinance(m): 9:46am On Nov 01, 2012
Wiz-Prince:
You dey mad person wey dey there say the useless manager was not comfortable with their statements against th govt. Only if you knw wht those victims are passing through. This could have happened to anyone.

2 Likes

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by bolayei: 9:48am On Nov 01, 2012
ahh izon, my bayelsians dont worry we are coming and all these will stop, i know some people will say we ve heard this before but lets wait and see because that man from bayelsa wey stubborn pass me im yet to come across, only more money to fight those twats remain. Imagine a man cant live up to his name, i mean the (GM) Tamarakuro Oweifie meaning GODSTRONG MANTALK which can be translated to 'with the might of God man speaks'.what a name for a weak man oweifie my bayelsian black buttocks. Na so that state make my mama spend her £300k on some stupid reform within the state then started longing her until i asked her to come back to the uk and stop wasting her time with people that cant understand her simple english. my people suffer out of ignorance but with a little wisdom they will smile because an average ijaw man or woman is rebellious.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by 234GT(m): 9:49am On Nov 01, 2012
The tv station has not mastered how to handle phone-in programs. They should have given a phone number that would have been switched off to the public. People will keep calling and their calls will not get through. Then, there would be a secret number that will be known to people they have specifically selected to phone in and praise the governor.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by airfinance(m): 9:51am On Nov 01, 2012
Wiz-Prince:

There Are Some Reasons that are Beyond Explanations at a particular time. Why Will the Guests Be Insulting The State Gov't At a Public view? Its Bad...! There're other ways to solve issues and not by that.
This is one reason why we would never develop in this country. So they should not voice out the truth about the way the government is handling the situation,after collecting millions. Same govt wld come out to lie to the nation that thee victims have all been taken care of. What the hell is wrong with some nigerians? Your comment made me to believe you don't have human sympathy

4 Likes

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Classicalman(m): 10:01am On Nov 01, 2012
gramci: The management of the TV station is yet to give official reason for the abrupt terminationof the broadcast
The management of Bayelsa State Television, on Tuesday, stopped a live programme after the invited guests berated the state government’s handling of the victims of flood disaster.
The one hour long programme at the state owned television station, called Gloryland Television , was terminated after 25 minutes when Tamarakuro Oweifie, the General Manager, directed the programme’s anchorto draw the curtains.
Mr. Oweifie told PREMIUM TIMES he would explain the reasons for the abrupt end of the programmeafter “he finishes with his investigations.”
Subsequent enquiries were not responded to.
End of discussion
Morris Alagoa, one of the invited guests at the programme said that he was surprised at the sudden decision to end their discussion.
“We have not even attacked the state government, just saying it the way we saw things in our impacted communities and administration of the relief camps,” said Mr. Alagoa, an environmental activist.
Mr. Alagoa and Godwin Ebbeli, another activist, were billed to speak on the flood situation that has ravaged several communitiesacross the Niger Delta region.
While Mr. Alagoa, who had visitedseveral of the communities, spoke on the impact of the flood on the people; Mr. Ebbeli focusedon the state government’s handling of the situation, especially the funds released for the victims.
“He (the general manager) thought we will speak like government officials,” Mr. Alagoasaid.
In addition to the N500 million provided by the Federal Government to mitigate the disaster, the Bayelsa State Government had approved N1.5 billion from the state’s coffers, according to Mr. Ebbeli.
The state’s House of Assembly had also approved a supplementary budget of N16 billion in the aftermath of the disaster.
Mr. Ebbeli questioned the government’s handling of the funds, adding that it had not reached the real victims of the flood.
That was when the TV station’s management felt they had gone too far.
“First of all they stopped the program as if it was the usual breaks for commercials.
“Then a staff came into the studio and told us, especially my fellow guest, Sir. Godwin Ebbeli that the GM (General Manager) isnot comfortable with some statements we were making about the government,” Mr. Alagoa said.
After the commercial break, the programme resumed.
However, a few minutes into the segment, a hand written signal appeared through a glass screen directing the moderator, Joyce Ogiowon, to end the programme.
“When we came out of the studio, some of those watching it from outside expressed surprise too; why the programme ended the way it did,” Mr. Alagoa added.
It was not exactly clear why the programme was ended abruptly but there were indications that Mr. Oweifie acted on orders from above to secure his job .
While he apologized to the guestsover the incident, the general manager did not give reasons for his action, which also reportedly angered other members of staff.
“Be rest assured that the programme will take place on a day we all agree,” Mr. Oweifie, a former staff of the Nigeria Television Authority, said in response to PREMIUM TIMES’ enquiry.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/105458-bayelsa-tv-abruptly-ends-live-programme-after-guests-criticised-governments-inefficiency.html
I have stayed long enough in Bayelsa to know how they reason. The politicians always lord it over the people as if they are slaves. The people follow them like sheeps and goats and cannot express their views. That is why a Bayelsan LGA chairman for just 3month can erect a 5 star hotel and nobody will say anything to him. Go to YENAGOA, all you see are hotels and other big buildings all owned by political appointees. The Government does any shi.t they want. The people never say or do shi.t. I am not surprised this happened. Who are u to criticize d governor. You can even come out in Rivers and openely criticise Amaechi and nothing will happen. Try it in Bayelsa and see. The people are under perpetual slavery by their so called elected officials.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by WizPrince1(m): 10:09am On Nov 01, 2012
airfinance: .
You dey mad person wey dey there say the useless manager was not comfortable with their statements against th govt. Only if you knw wht those victims are passing through. This could have happened to anyone.

What I Mean Is that, its an ideal of Disrespect to the state gov't and stop flashing terrapist insults on me... Read And Understand what one is saying b4 u jump into comment.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Olaolufred(m): 10:38am On Nov 01, 2012
Classicalman: I have stayed long enough in Bayelsa to know how they reason. The politicians always lord it over the people as if they are slaves. The people follow them like sheeps and goats and cannot express their views. That is why a Bayelsan LGA chairman for just 3month can erect a 5 star hotel and nobody will say anything to him. Go to YENAGOA, all you see are hotels and other big buildings all owned by political appointees. The Government does any shi.t they want. The people never say or do shi.t. I am not surprised this happened. Who are u to criticize d governor. You can even come out in Rivers and openely criticise Amaechi and nothing will happen. Try it in Bayelsa and see. The people are under perpetual slavery by their so called elected officials.

A grave indictment to the psyche of all Bayelsans.
Ah, My people are perish because of .................
Why would an elected Governor reject his people's opinion.
PROBABLY HE WAS SELECTIVELY SELECTED.
Just thinking.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by AkinDavid2: 10:54am On Nov 01, 2012
Will he pay their bills?..They have learnt lessons from not only State owned TV stations but them big brother too. The not too independent TV stations. lipsrsealed
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by tulk2mi: 11:12am On Nov 01, 2012
Just thinking.[/quote]
Classicalman: I have stayed long enough in Bayelsa to know how they reason. The politicians always lord it over the people as if they are slaves. The people follow them like sheeps and goats and cannot express their views. That is why a Bayelsan LGA chairman for just 3month can erect a 5 star hotel and nobody will say anything to him. Go to YENAGOA, all you see are hotels and other big buildings all owned by political appointees. The Government does any shi.t they want. The people never say or do shi.t. I am not surprised this happened. Who are u to criticize d governor. You can even come out in Rivers and openely criticise Amaechi and nothing will happen. Try it in Bayelsa and see. The people are under perpetual slavery by their so called elected officials.
I am a bayelsan and dis stmt is truth like d gospel of christ. secondly it is percived dat any opposition 2 goverment is done by those who r not "carried along". this sydrome is worsen by d fact dat even our traditional rulers, cheifs and respected elders subject themselves to dis slavery because of little handouts to them by the governor. everybody wants to curry favour 4rm d govt.

[quote author=Olaolufred]

A grave indictment to the psyche of all Bayelsans.
Ah, My people are perish because of .................
Why would an elected Governor reject his people's opinion.
PROBABLY HE WAS SELECTIVELY SELECTED.
unfortunately its d way it is. Is it not GEJ who raised Timpire Silva's hand up for work well done during His presidency campaign in Yenagoa, where d pple reacted to bad governance by stoning him (Timipre Silva)Dat came back later to pull those hands down and install Seriake Dickson. If its PDP in Bayelsa then its a SELECTION whether its primaries or election.

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Olaolufred(m): 11:45am On Nov 01, 2012
tulk2mi:
unfortunately its d way it is. Is it not GEJ who raised Timpire Silva's hand up for work well done during His presidency campaign in Yenagoa, where d pple reacted to bad governance by stoning him (Timipre Silva)Dat came back later to pull those hands down and install Seriake Dickson. If its PDP in Bayelsa then its a SELECTION whether its primaries or election.

IF YOU ARE TRULY A BAYELSAN,
THEN THIS CONFIRMATION IS ENOUGH FOR THE BAYELSANS TO KICK FOR A CHANGE.
HOWEVER, MAJORITY STILL PREFER TO ONLY RUE THEIR SORROW INSTEAD OF TAKING STEPS OF CHANGE.
VOTE OUT PDP.
LET THEM GO AND REST TILL THEY ARE READY TO BE BORN AGAIN POLITICALLY.
TAKE SOUTH WEST AS AN EXAMPLE, WHEN NEXT PDP WINS IN SOUTH-WEST, THEY WILL BE CAREFUL MORE NOT TO DELIVER ELECTORAL PROMISES.
THAT IS HOW PEOPLE CAN BE GIVEN A DAMN BY THIS CALLOUS POLITICIANS.

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by ubong560(m): 11:54am On Nov 01, 2012
And u'll tell me nigeria wil b gud 2moro. If a man stands 2 tell d truth, d hardened criminals who call themselvs politicians must swiftly go against it. They expctd d man 2 dance 2 thier tune, bt d man took them into criticizm by surprise. How den would naija b gud if pple are nt ready 2 repent frm their evil ways? GOD HAVE MERCY PLS!
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by ubong560(m): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2012
@Wizprince, u must b one of dos who diverted d money meant 4 d flood victims 2 their private pocket.
Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by Wsdm: 12:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
Olaolufred: IF THIS IS TRUE, THEN THE BAYELSANS ARE IN FOR SOMETHING.
SOMETHING NIGERIANS SUFFERED LAST UNDER ABACHA/OBJ.
Are you just realizing that we are passing through the worst of time in Nigerian history under this callous man? Someone who hates to be criticized to the extent he wanted to abruptly stop the speaker of the house of representative from delivering his vote of thanks just when he realized that something about his cluelessness was about to be mentioned during his presentation of 2013 budget to the national assembly.

1 Like

Re: BayelsaTV Ends Live Programme After Guests Criticised Govt's Inefficiency by controlseven: 12:13pm On Nov 01, 2012
Up NEPA! Wetin?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zakari Biu Released A Week After Suspect Escaped From Police Custody / An Hausa-Fulani Spotted Inside The Onitsha Shoprite- Pix / President Buhari In Close Door Meetings With Moroccan Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.