Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature (5409 Views)

Etisalat Prize For Literature 2015 Application – How To Apply / Chika Unigwe and Naija Stories Want Your Best Short Fiction / Chika Unigwe Wins $100,000 Nigeria Prize For Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by jaymdee(m): 12:07pm On Nov 01, 2012

www.nairaland.com/attachments/871308_Chika_Unigwe_2012_a_jpg236009efd3a9b44151cb0dbac2cbe444

Nov 1, 2012- NLNG World Press Conference at the Eko Hotel and Suites; The 2012 NLNG Nigeria Prize for Literature goes to Chika Unigwe, author of On Black Sisters Street. The Advisory Board for The Nigeria Prize for Literature has announced On Black sisters street winner of the controversial NLNG Prize for Literature with an accompanying $100,000.

Chairman of the Board, Emeritus Professor Ayo Banjo, announced the winner of the competition on 1st November, 2012, at a world press conference at Eko Hotel & Suites, Lagos.

On Black Sister’s Street tells a gripping story of the lives of four African migrants working the red light district of Antwerp in Belgium brought together by bad luck and big dreams into a sisterhood that will change their lives. The Enugu-born graduate of English Language and Literature, Chika Unigwe, lives in Belgium. She is married with four children.

The chairman of the panel of judges is Prof. Francis Abiola Irele, Provost of the College of Humanities at the Kwara State University and Fellow of the Dubois Institute, Harvard University. Other members of the panel are Prof. Angela Miri, Head of the English Department at the University of Jos, Prof. Sophia Ogwude, Dean of the Faculty of Arts at University of Abuja, Prof J O J Nwachukwu-Agbada, Professor of African Literature in the Department of English, Abia State University and Dr. Oyeniyi Okunoye, a Senior Lecturer at the Department of English, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and a Section Editor of Postcolonial Text, a journal affiliated to the Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies.
Other members of the Advisory Board, besides Professor Emeritus Ayo Banjo, are Dr. Jerry Agada, former President of Association of Nigerian Authors and Prof. Ben Elugbe, President, Nigeria Academy of Letters.

The Nigeria Prize for Literature has since 2004 rewarded eminent writers such as Gabriel Okara, founding father of modern Nigerian poetry, Professor Ezenwa Ohaeto (co-winner 2004), Ahmed Yerima, for his classic, Hard Ground, Mabel Segun for her collection of short plays, Reader’s Theatre; Kaine Agary for Yellow Yellow, Esiaba Irobi who posthumously clinched the prize in 2010, with his book, Cemetery Road and Adeleke Adeyemi, with pen name Mai Nasara, last year, for The Missing Clock.

The Nigeria Prize for Literature rotates yearly amongst four literary genres: prose fiction, poetry, drama and children’s literature. The 2012 prize is for prose fiction. The prize has a cash value of USD 100, 000 (One hundred thousand United States Dollars). A total of 214 books were submitted for the 2012 edition of The Nigeria Prize for Literature.

http://naijaedutech.com/2012/11/chika-unigwe-wins-2012-nlng-prize-for-literature.html
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by MyneWhite1(f): 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
Congrats to Chika! So proud of her and I really enjoyed the book. She is also a friend of naijastories, so double congrats smiley

http://www.naijastories.com/2011/06/online-real-time-chat-with-chika-unigwe/ - Transcript of her chat with NS Members

http://www.naijastories.com/2011/08/on-black-sisters%E2%80%99-street-by-chika-unigwe/ - Review of the winning book, On black Sisters Street

1 Like

Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by jaymdee(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2012
Great!!!
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 05, 2012
I like that fine black babe for the cover grin.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
Is she the one on the cover page lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed, congrats sister me......but thats pure nudity
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by gurujoe(m): 1:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
Nice one
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by mbulela: 1:42pm On Nov 05, 2012
i was rooting for Lola Shoneyin but congrats to Chinwe.
Nigerian fiction writers are on the rise.
Well done.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by visionbiafra: 1:43pm On Nov 05, 2012
Congrats dear... Following in the footsteps of greats like Professor Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Wole Soyinka, Elechi Amadi and John Pepper Clark.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by mallorca(m): 1:44pm On Nov 05, 2012
Chika is my Cousin,we thank God for his grace upon your life
We are proud of you.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Sleek05(f): 1:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
Congrats. I luv it when I hear stuff lyk dis. The sky is ur starting point!
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by abdulkayus(m): 1:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
Bt dat picture on d cover of d book na wa oooo. Such unclothness.hmmmmm.
Anyhw congrat to her.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
Never heard of her....Good job sha. More stories to read from African authors.

I still have a girl crush on Chimamanda Adichie. Gosh, I love her!!
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
This is amazingly intriguing! Big ups sis...hmm....so so nice I must say...please how do I get a copy of the winning novel
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by kennysbst(m): 2:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
I am loving dis,congratulations grl!
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Nuezha(m): 2:11pm On Nov 05, 2012
mallorca: Chika is my Cousin,we thank God for his grace upon your life
We are proud of you.

Success has many friends.
NOBODY KNEW CLIFFORD ORJI

1 Like

Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:45pm On Nov 05, 2012
am so so happy for her.
she has done much better works more than this.
Kudos to you Chika...

and pls no tribal wars.....
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by mallorca(m): 2:48pm On Nov 05, 2012
Nuezha:

Success has many friends.
NOBODY KNEW CLIFFORD ORJI
i dont have time for,
mind you all of us was not born into poor background like you
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by SamAfrik(m): 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2012
Congrats Chika, wish more intellectuals like you can rise from different professions in Nigeria.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by slap1(m): 5:09pm On Nov 05, 2012
Congrats to her.
However, I don't approve the rotation of the prize among the genres of literature. The prize should be fixed for any outstanding work from any genre, or it should be spread evenly among the genres each year, even if it negatively affects the prize money.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by raptureme: 5:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
please how can one get a copy of the book
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by mallorca(m): 5:29pm On Nov 05, 2012
raptureme: please how can one get a copy of the book
send me ur contact
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by mbulela: 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2012
raptureme: please how can one get a copy of the book
if in lagos, check Terra Culture or Jazzhole or Farafina or the Silverbird bookshop.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by mbulela: 2:35pm On Nov 06, 2012
slap1: Congrats to her.
However, I don't approve the rotation of the prize among the genres of literature. The prize should be fixed for any outstanding work from any genre, or it should be spread evenly among the genres each year, even if it negatively affects the prize money.
I support your latter suggestion.
The problem with the former is that it will be difficult to compare a collection of poetry and a children book.
Re: Chika Unigwe Wins 2012 NLNG Prize For Literature by Orikinla(m): 9:45am On Jan 31, 2013
[size=18pt]@chikaunigwe will be available to chat with journalists 10am today at the Opal Suite Eko Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos.[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Were Are The Nigerians In Boston.ma? / Writertain Writers League (instruction And Discussion Thread) / Jacob's Curse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.