Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests (12869 Views)

Pictures Of A Nairalander's Graduation/induction Ceremony / Induction Of IMSU Theater Art Freshers (Photos) / I Schooled In France Trend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by teskyg: 5:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
53% foreign-schooled doctors fail induction tests

Only 94 doctors and dentists who schooled abroad passed assessment tests to enable them practise in Nigeria, after 200 of them sat for the tests.

Health authorities have welcomed their success at the tests.

Speaking at their induction into the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, health minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said the new crops of professionals stood to boost key human resources for health needed to realise the country’s national strategic health development plan.

He also called for MDCN to regulate practice of medical, dental and herbal care with “effective regulations to guard against medical tourism”, which he called a big drain on the nation’s economy.

MDCN registrar, Dr Udugbai Ilevbare, said the council wanted only practitioners “who are fit in terms of academic and other relevant conditions are registered to practice medicine and dentistry in Nigeria.”

The council did not “want to unleash on unsuspecting Nigerian practitioners who are not well trained,” he added.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211010957.html
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by solomon111(m): 5:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Lmao@'foreign schooled doctors'.
Is it any surprise that Nigeria-trained doctors are hot cakes in different parts of the world.

5 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by teskyg: 5:28pm On Nov 01, 2012
Why won't they fail when they keep going to Ukraine and Malaysia for studies?

10 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 5:39pm On Nov 01, 2012
If u're trying to compare Nigerian trained doctors to US trained doctors, then u're joking or don't have a clue of what u're talking about.

There is no one Nigerian university among top 3000 in the world!! embarassed

Your use of foreign is quite broad though, I mean d reason for d low percentage could as well be from Nigerians trained in countries like Togo.

lol, all na foreign. tongue

24 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by solomon111(m): 5:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
teskyg: Why won't they fail when they keep going to Ukraine and Malaysia for studies?
yeah that is true,though.
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by solomon111(m): 5:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
Shollypopz: If u're trying to compare Nigerian trained doctors to US trained doctors, then u're joking or don't have a clue of what u're talking about.

Your use of foreign is quite broad though, I mean d reason for d low percentage could as well be from Nigerians trained in countries like Togo.

Cool down,lady.
You are taking this too personal,or maybe it is personal.
It is a known fact that doctors trained in Nigeria are somehow better than those in the host country.
A friend of my cousin that just graduated from UNIBEN has been snapped up by W.H.O,and from the report i got,he was the best in the test that was set for them.
He outscored students from the US,UK,Germany,Canada,e.t.c.
Besides those rankings are not necesarily based on the quality of education in those universities.
I am quite sure that a good number of the universities those doctors that failed the induction exams went to,are ranked higher than Nigeria.
So i would take those rankings with a heavy dosage of salt.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 6:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
solomon111: Cool down,lady.
It is a known fact that doctors trained in Nigeria are somehow better than those in the host country.
A friend of my cousin that just graduated from UNIBEN has been snapped up by W.H.O,and from the report i got,he was the best in the test that was set for them.
Besides those rankings are not necesarily based on the quality of education in those universities.
I am quite sure that a good number of the universities those doctors that failed the induction exams went to,are ranked higher than Nigeria.
hhmm, I'm very calm. I don't think my post showed any form of agitation.

That aside, when u make comparison next time, make sure u do it on an average sense/scale.
U can't take the achievement of one student(an abnormally) and say because he did this, then bla bla..........

I'm very patriotic to my country Nigeria but comparing med schools in Nigeria to those in the US is quite alarming. Shows u have no clue what u're talking about. I don't mean to exaggerate the importance of ranking but when we as a country are that down on the list then there has to be some truth to it.

I mean we are not among top 3000, 3000!! 3000 my brother!! 3000!!

And of course, I'm not basing all my claims solely on ranking but when we look at the products and what US trained doctors can do practically, we don't even come close. The facilities available, the genuine critical reasoning, abstract and real life instances based exam questions?

As a Nigerian, I'm sure u don't want me to over flog the issue that we're all theory and no practical.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by dBard: 9:24pm On Nov 01, 2012
Shollypopz:

That aside, when u make comparison next time, make sure u do it on an average sense/scale.
U can't take the achievement of one student(an abnormally) and say because he did this, then bla bla..........

I'm very patriotic to my country Nigeria but comparing med schools in Nigeria to those in the US is quite alarming. Shows u have no clue what u're talking about. I don't mean to exaggerate the importance of ranking but when we as a country are that down on the list then there has to be some truth to it.

And of course, I'm not basing all my claims solely on ranking but when we look at the products and what US trained doctors can do practically, we don't even come close. The facilities available, the genuine critical reasoning, abstract and real life instances based exam questions?

As a Nigerian, I'm sure u don't want me to over flog the issue that we're all theory and no practical.

am sorry but I ve t disagree,tho wit a lil bias grin. ve come across both d u.k Drs n dse from oda developed countries n frankly dey aren't all that. imagine how long it takes t make a diagnosis there compared t here n also d quality of thier training. Yes, in terms of tech advancement n facilities dey beta but let me summarise by saying wat we do,we do dem far better..Truth cool

4 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by ACM10: 9:56pm On Nov 01, 2012
Shollypopz: If u're trying to compare Nigerian trained doctors to US trained doctors, then u're joking or don't have a clue of what u're talking about.

grin grin grin
So hilarious!

You are right! There is no comparison between Nigeria and US-trained doctors. In fact US-trained doctors have no business coming back to Nigeria. Nigeria can't pay them.
Those charlatans were mostly trained in Ukraine, Ghana, Gambia, etc. Those guys are doctor death and an utter embarrassment to the profession. I wonder why they were so poorly trained.

9 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by KENESAGA(m): 10:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
4 THOSE THAT ARE CALLING UKRAIN, ARE THEIR UNIS NOT RANKED ABOVE NIGERIAN UNIS?

1 Like

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 11:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
Shollypopz:

How is it possible for a medical student anywhere to be just 'theory and no practical'?

1 Like

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Ymodulus: 12:11am On Nov 02, 2012
@poster if you dont know. please their is difference between ABROAD and OVERSEEs. togo,berne, ghana. niger even cameroon are all ABROA den Europe. sweeden Ausstrialia are all oversees(over d sea)

4 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by adaptor4all: 6:27am On Nov 02, 2012
Man,u r blessed..ma felo drs in ubth reckon wt u..9ce 1
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Ekans: 6:27am On Nov 02, 2012
Ymodulus: @poster if you dont know. please their is difference between ABROAD and OVERSEEs. togo,berne, ghana. niger even cameroon are all ABROA den Europe. sweeden Ausstrialia are all oversees(over d sea)
Young man,this your assertion got me confused.Please,do clarify.

2 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by datola: 6:37am On Nov 02, 2012
Foreign trained docs might have more exposure to advanced technology but that does not make them more intelligent than Nigerian trained. Nigerian trained will always pass tests better than all these foreign trained.

People should not take these rankings too seriously as a measure of graduate quality.

1 Like

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 02, 2012

15 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 02, 2012
I smell another "home based vs. foreign based" battle.

I know some people are so happy that the fellas failed, at least, even though it does nothing to advance the deteriorating state of our educational facilities it ensures that foreign qualifications will now be perceived as useless and just as bad.

Bad belle.

....dream on.

2 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by seedord247(m): 6:40am On Nov 02, 2012
Shollypopz:

Yes we're goood in theory.....

But have you take time to take a step out of your intellingency.... Here in the US.... sincerely speaking, we all relied on technology....i have frnds that graduate out medical schools, they always tell me there's nothing to study again since technology can identify your sicknes....
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Wizcat(m): 6:43am On Nov 02, 2012
Doctor wey dey behave lyk teacher na kpako

1 Like

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:46am On Nov 02, 2012
@op please specify on your use of "foreign-schooled doctors". I will really like to know where all this "foreign schooled doctors" that failed the Nigerian induction tests were trained. I know for a fact that those "foreign-schooled Doctors" were sure not trained in the U.S, If you can survive the MCAT you sure as hell should be able to handle an Induction test especially one from a country like Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by omenziate(m): 6:47am On Nov 02, 2012
So a bad Naija medical student from John Hopkins, McGill, University of toronto, uni of south carolina will b compared to someone from OAU, UI and Uniben. Mke dem better take time. Hw many medical doctors dey do research for Naija? Medicine no b by la cram , la pour , la pass , la forget o.

4 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Ezennaemeka1(m): 6:47am On Nov 02, 2012
Hmmm, this should be an eye opener to those that consider foreign education as the in thing.
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by adaptor4all: 6:49am On Nov 02, 2012
Shollypopz:

Lady calm down..u sound wt a lil lack f exposure on d medical practice in ur country..Wud like 2 remind u dt d topic is nt a comparison bt 9ja med sch n odas..Its jst a bit of an enlightenment 4 ppl 2 knw dat being a good dr is nt abt studyin med abroad..I cud bet wt u dat most f dose students r frm Europe,esp Poland n Ukraine..hav seen dem mysef in UBTH..they r nt dt bad save d fact dt they r spoon-fed n do not knw d basics,esp in d case f history takin frm a patient n can't get any reasonable diagnosis..they were tot wt high-tech equipments,and dese we do nt hav in d country.
Moreover,young American drs r nt more brainy,like evri oda dr,they get far beta wt experience,wt gr8 hep frm tech advancement n encouragement frm society..Chek d Nigerians in Foreign schs,even USA..u'll b shocked @ dia performances,they outshine odas

3 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by dober(m): 6:50am On Nov 02, 2012
Its no suprise. Parents are fond of sending their children abroad/overseas
just to study med, even if the children cant cope or make it. All they are concerned about is they wana produce a doc in the family.
This issue is also same with those in our nigerian private unis.
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:59am On Nov 02, 2012
seedord247:

Yes we're goood in theory.....

But have you take time to take a step out of your intellingency.... Here in the US.... sincerely speaking, we all relied on technology....i have frnds that graduate out medical schools, they always tell me there's nothing to study again since technology can identify your sicknes....

That is a lie! I will love to speak with this your friends, because education never stops. especially in medicine.
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by adieora(f): 6:59am On Nov 02, 2012
Shollypopz:

I think u really need to chill.I didn't see US mentioned in the article above.Moreover hw many Nigerians gain admission to study medicine in the US and after hw many come back.all these doctors trained in Ukraine are horrible.

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by seunfly: 7:06am On Nov 02, 2012

my friend, it's like you don't know that Nigerian graduates are always the best when it comes to written exames, the problems is practicing, exposure to modern technics and use of modern equipments.
I ve been opportune to assese Nigerian graduate and foriegn graduate, mennh! Nigerian can quote 1000 theories and it's application, they can define and explain many principle at glance but ask them to practice that same thing, you will be disapointed.

Though i see this as a good sign, this means if our leaders can be serious and provide our universities with the same practital apparatus like their counterpact in usa, europe and asia. Nigerians has ability to asimilate things that they were taught better than others.

7 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 02, 2012
@ all disregarding Nigeria, what if the 106 dooctors that failed are from universities in the US n UK? U are all here critizing ur own country.....foo!$.... If its on news that 60% Nigerians failed WAEC u all will be quick to call NIgerian students brain drain, n our institution a failed institution. What makes u think any US or UK students are better than us academically, if not ASUU strike, go and find out what Nigerian Student are doing abroad n their perfomances, and y'all will be so amazed. I personally graduated from UNIBEN and i dont think any US student can outshine me academically, except ofcourse u low life, low self-exteemed, unpatriotic s<umbags, who go about destroyin ur country, n yet claim to be Nigeria, if not for visa lottery or community support from ur village chief, most of u would have still been in ur village farms....mtchew

2 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by oc2fish: 7:19am On Nov 02, 2012
Just passing by.
Sometime ago FAO send some expert in fisheries to teach us how to inject and raise catfish. We ended up teaching them infact they were amazed and wonder why they (FAO) negleted our technology. They have the technology but we strive for the raw knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 02, 2012
chaircover: It depends on the questions they were asked in the test; whether they were based on disorders commonly found in tropical parts of the world or not.

We have a Nigerian trained doctor in our GP surgery and he was the only one who had seen whitlow before and knew what to do when my husband had it on his finger. The other doctors in the surgery had sent my husband home with paracetamol. Funny enough, even before that episode, he was the most thorough of all the doctors in the practice.

My brother is a Nigerian trained doctor, runs his own private practice and has tons of knowledge.

IMO opinion Naija trained doctors have the knowledge, but they are let down by the technology, equipment & resources which is a shame.

I also heard somewhere that Nigerian pilots are some of the most experienced in the world; same situation I should think. Having to make do with so little.
whitlow is very common in Nigeria cos of the way people wash clothes and other stuffs with their hands. In Advanced country, if you even have to wash with your hands, there are specially made hand detergents which are very very mild. I won't be suprised if it is limited to the tropics. So doctors in temperate regions might have no idea of it. I once had malaria in the UK after a visit to Nigeria, I was quarantined and a special Spanish doctor who has worked in Venezuela was posted to the hospital where I was quarantined to treat me.(I was treated like a king) cos of common malaria. I have met doctors in Nigeria who have not even heard of autism.

3 Likes

Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by Basic(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2012
I'm not surprised in the least. Most students who never been able to pass JAMB here in Nigeria have found admission in countries like Ukraine, Malaysia, Norway, etc.
In fact, most medical school drop outs in Nigeria go to Ukraine.
Re: 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests by bknight: 7:26am On Nov 02, 2012
Offtopic:

Whether you go to school here in nigeria or abroad, its ur mind and dedication. If you are passionate abt education you'll excel anywhere. There are very intelligent ppl in not-too-good schools dat have d knowledge more than some who go to very good schools. Enthusiastic personal quest into one's profession can drive anyone.

Its not the country, its the individual.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Niger State Polytechnic ASSUP Vows To Continue Strike / Uniport Begins Online Registration Of New Students / ASUU Rejects Buhari's Dissolution Of OAU Governing Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.