Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers (35319 Views)

Plot To Sack IGP, Arase, Thickens - Nigerian Tribune / Revealed: Real Reasons Buhari Chose His SGF, COS - Nigerian Tribune / Sad Day For Obasanjo - Bolanle Bolawole (Nigerian Tribune) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by jidsoon(m): 6:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
There has been a mass sack of workers at the African Newspapers of Nigeria (ANN) PLC, publishers of the Tribune titles, based in Ibadan, capital of Oyo State, Southwest Nigeria. At least 160 workers in all the departments were affected in the mass purge which took place last week.

The retrenchment exercise which took place barely a month after the appointment of Mr. Edward Dickson as the new Managing Director and Editor-in-Chief of the company, was a shock to many of the affected workers. According to sources, the management felt that it was necessary to prune down the over bloated staff strength estimated at 700, adding that a staff survey they conducted revealed that other media houses have not more than 300 workers.

A source said, “they went to other newspapers and found out that their staff strength are far less than our own. They claimed that they went to a Lagos-based newspaper and found out that they employed not more than 300 staff and they do not see the reason why they should have 700 staff.”

Other reasons adduced for the retrenchment include drop in the company’s working capital and its inability to give dividends to shareholders.

Our source revealed that the new MD in a meeting with the staff pointed out that it was necessary to down size in order not to disappoint the founding father of ANN, the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, adding that he was not ready to preside over an establishment that would go into extinction during his tenure.

It was gathered that he pleaded with the affected staff that they should not see the retrenchment as a vindictive exercise but rather a necessary one to ensure that the company does not die. Some of the affected staff were immediately given half of their entitlements and asked to pick a cheque for the balance of their entitlements in a month’s time.

P.M.NEWS gathered that workers who had not spent up to five years with the company were not given any money. They have therefore appealed to the management to consider them for severance allowance.

One of the affected workers who spoke with our correspondent said: “My brother, I have been thrown back to the labour market. I am now jobless and don’t know what to do for now to maintain myself and my family.”

Another worker who was not affected and also spoke with P.M.NEWS under anonymity said: “Thank God I am not affected. It was a big tsunami that passed through my office last week. Could you believe that it affected line editors like assistant editors and the rest?”

—Gbenro Adesina/Ibadan

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/11/01/tribune-sacks-160-workers/
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by 234GT(m): 9:17pm On Nov 01, 2012
Too bad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by seanet01: 12:25am On Nov 02, 2012
No more awuf Money collected before from akala for Bleaching Cream Advertisement. Tinubu you wicked o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by pastormustwac: 6:57am On Nov 02, 2012
This is gross wickedness.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by ibitomisi: 7:02am On Nov 02, 2012
My ppl no human feelings @ all
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 02, 2012
[color=blue]you can also get your latest info about that news at http://twizwap.tk
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by ghettodreamz(m): 7:05am On Nov 02, 2012
The deed is done, what else or what would our ranting do to make their newly appointed GM revoke his decisions? NOTHING!

They might have lost all hope of finding a good job due to the present economy and unemployment situation of the country, but God will surely make a way for them. Isaiah 43:19

I pray for the affected workers, a BETTER and highly paid job on their ways soon in Jesus name, amen..

At God's perfect timing, He will surely open wider ways for them all.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by akunjohn(m): 7:05am On Nov 02, 2012
This na kasala o,back to the labuor market
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by ebamma(m): 7:06am On Nov 02, 2012
What are you talk about,tribune newspaper sack workers when?,are you trying to confuse my confusion.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 02, 2012
Any development must affect some people.

Attimes desperate situation,calls for desperate action. Its better they are sacked,than being owe salaries. If the sacking is the magic wand needed for redemption of the company,so shall it be.

I can't even remember the last time I read a newspaper,when I can get all the info needed online.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by bigx(m): 7:11am On Nov 02, 2012
pastormustwac: This is gross wickedness.

At the risk of being attacked by everyone, it is not wickedness, it is a business and businesses survive by trimming costs, staff, are a huge cost so they are always the the first target.
Yes I know, someone would tell me what about their families, etc etc, but I'v been involved in it, when I was very young my dad was sacked over the radio on a monday morning while getting dressed for work,
What I suffered the next few years, I never want to think/speak about it again, but the lesson I learnt is, never put all your hopes on any so called high paying job, they do not care about you, they only care about how much they can make from you, the moment they see they are not making more than your salary from you, you would be gotten rid of.
Simple and short

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 02, 2012
I still wonder where these newspapers make their money from. Even my dad now reads from his PC. Not surprised they are laying off staff.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by hardbody: 7:21am On Nov 02, 2012
bigx:

At the risk of being attacked by everyone, it is not wickedness, it is a business and businesses survive by trimming costs, staff, are a huge cost so they are always the the first target.
Yes I know, someone would tell me what about their families, etc etc, but I'v been involved in it, when I was very young my dad was sacked over the radio on a monday morning while getting dressed for work,
What I suffered the next few years, I never want to think/speak about it again, but the lesson I learnt is, never put all your hopes on any so called high paying job, they do not care about you, they only care about how much they can make from you, the moment they see they are not making more than your salary from you, you would be gotten rid of.
Simple an short

Dead on point. And that simply is the moral of the story. Sometimes we get so engrossed that we fail to see the unfolding scenario until it swallows us up. As at today, I am thinking about the going concern status of my company which means I have to start putting together a business plan for an alternate source of income, that is the only way to ensure you don't develop heart attack when it finally happens, for it must surely come to pass, its a matter of time
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by dnawah(m): 7:24am On Nov 02, 2012
How can a dead be disappointed?he is just creating space 4 his own people.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by larrymoore(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2012
E-news is seriously dwindly d fortune of print media. May God provides other source of income 4 them.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by charlsecy4(m): 7:28am On Nov 02, 2012
Zeddicus: I still wonder where these newspapers make their money from.

They make a very large percentage of their income from advertising. The revenue from sales is negligible!
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by LblaqueHaven(m): 7:35am On Nov 02, 2012
bigx:

Simple an short
bigx:

Simple an short
bigx:

Simple an short
Right on point.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Revolva(m): 7:40am On Nov 02, 2012
And more people and families will have to suffer again haba nigeria
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by rbjimoh: 7:42am On Nov 02, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
seanet01: No more awuf Money collected before from akala for Bleaching Cream Advertisement. Tinubu you wicked o.
. Lol...you guys won't kill me with your comedy
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by LblaqueHaven(m): 7:47am On Nov 02, 2012
Good for the company and pathetic for the poor workers. When will Nigeria get out of this mess?
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Chylo(m): 7:50am On Nov 02, 2012
larrymoore: E-news is seriously dwindly d fortune of print media. May God provides other source of income 4 them.

E-news comes with its own e-advert revenue streams... just like our own darling nairaland's "This space is for sale"
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by takedat(m): 7:54am On Nov 02, 2012
seanet01: No more awuf Money collected before from akala for Bleaching Cream Advertisement. Tinubu you wicked o.
Guy, you are so on point. Tribune has always depended on government patronage from Akala and the SW PDP boys, Its a pity there are downsizing.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Clerverly: 7:54am On Nov 02, 2012
....And they will now blame Tinubu....
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 02, 2012
O ma se oo.. Wht a pity..! My beleaguered nation Nigeria.. Dis near End of 2012 no wan sexy ooo!
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by bodejohn(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2012
This should not be strange news to people who are close to the company.
The problem with the company started a long time ago and it must have taken a lot of ingenuity to keep it afloat till now.
This is a company that has not been paying salaries regularly as far back as 1999.
The mismanagement of the company by the owners and disloyalty on the part of the staffs jointly responsible for the downward trend in the company.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by yinchar(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2012
A newspaper that is in TOTAL support of PDP, when the whole of South-West is rejecting the demonic party, how do you expect them to make revenue who will buy the papers......smh
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Manbush: 8:01am On Nov 02, 2012
charlsecy4:

They make a very large percentage of their income from advertising. The revenue from sales is negligible!

You're right. Thisday for instance make not less than 20 million daily from adverts and less than a million naira from sales.
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by dridowu: 8:01am On Nov 02, 2012
Now dy are bak again to UNEMPLOYMENT field. God pls help us
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 02, 2012
pastormustwac: This is gross wickedness.

Retrenchment is not wickedness, it is regular business occurrence. It becomes wickedness when the laid off were not given their entitlements and this wasn't the case here.

The organization is not in business as a charity. If my competitor are doing well with 300 staff, it doesn't make business sense for me to do same with 700 staff.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by lumeneng22: 8:06am On Nov 02, 2012
How can you compare tribune with lagos base newspapers like compaque,sampion, the sun, the moon etc?
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Pakavy(m): 8:16am On Nov 02, 2012
234GT: Too bad.
..if not 2 worse
Re: Nigerian Tribune Newspaper Sacks 160 Workers by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 02, 2012
bigx:

Simple an short

Unfortunately, I have to agree with this perspective. Too many people think that employment should be some sort of benevolent, 'no questions asked', guaranteed jamboree. Big lie! Nobody would 'dash' you awoof salary for doing nothing. It is impossible for an employer to sack an employee that contributes greatly to the bottomline, but for those who are largely unproductive or surplus to requirement, sack may be inevitable at some point.

In the Nigerian context, I suppose federal government jobs are the safest, as one is virtually unsackable once employed - irrespective of how useless and clueless one is in his or her position. No wonder the public service is a hotbed of incompetence, lol. Then again, no wonder getting FG jobs is extremely difficult, even more so than getting good private sector jobs

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

European Union Election Observer Spotted At Obi Abuja Campaign / BREAKING NEWS :Gov Amosun's Convoy In Road Crash / Twitter User Describes Macron's Visit To Nigeria & Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.