Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,548 members, 7,809,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use (13591 Views)

Dangote Refinery Test Invitation / Dangote To Help Graduates To Become Truck Owners / Outcome Of Dangote Drivers Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by dannywest: 6:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Saw these as snippets from the World Bank Youth Forum.
What do you think? This was for just 1000 positions.
If true, I feel bad for all the graduates fighting each other on nairaland just weeks back. grin

Dangote group has stated that it plans to make entrepreneurs out of its Graduate Executive Truck Drivers.

Its Chairman stated this at the World Bank Youth Forum which involved a mentor dialogue with Nigeria's foremost businessman and Billionaire, Alhaji Aliko Dangote Thursday in Abuja. The forum was organized by the Coordinator, Rotimi Olawale and headed by the World Bank Country Director, Marie Francoise Marie-Nelly.

The World Bank Youth Forum was organized in a bid to engage in discussions with the government and entrepreneurs on business and development in Nigeria and Africa.

In an informal chat with the participants, Aliko Dangote shared his business story and how Dangote group rose from the beginning to become one of the largest conglomerates in Africa from 1978 till date. He added that the group's vision is to become the largest company in Africa, amongst the top 100 countries in the world and to be worth up to $75 billion by 2017.

Concerning the recent Graduate Executive Truck Driver vacancy, he revealed that over 13, 000 applications were received including applications by PHD Holders, MBA Holders, those with masters and other graduate degrees.

He explained that only 1000 drivers were needed however the idea behind getting graduates as drivers was to eventually make them entrepreneurs; owning the truck after a period. He added that the drivers get trip allowances on each trip along with their salaries; after accomplishing 300, 000 kilometres with the truck, they will own it at no interests or repayments.

The business magnate shared some of his business values and secrets which include always being willing to give back. "It is not always about money but how do I always give back to the community? Agriculture is the best business to help give back" he said. Dangote group is presently involved in Sugar, Rice and palm oil farming which he disclosed will create additional 150, 000 jobs within the next 5 years. "Food isn't cheap so the earlier we start looking at it as a business, the better".

He also noted that Dangote group was always eager and ready to work with the government of any state they were in; giving grants to indigenes, providing amenities and training youths in vocational skills.

Dangote further encouraged the participants to be hardworking, to be prudent and re-invest in business rather than spend profits.

He added that focus is needed to succeed and determination to go on in spite of challenges and Integrity as a personal value.
www.paradigmshiftng.com/2012/11/dangote-graduate-drivers-to-own-truck.html?m=1

4 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by jude33084(m): 11:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
Pls where did you get τhis? ₪ice info- Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊ηкs.

Pls any ♍☺re updates? wink

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by dannywest: 7:22am On Nov 02, 2012
It was all over twitter yesterday, he was speaking at an event held in abuja yesterday.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by kasheemawo(m): 7:55am On Nov 02, 2012
Explain what is there,my phone can not zoom
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by dannywest: 8:01am On Nov 02, 2012
kasheemawo: Explain what is there,my phone can not zoom

Click the link under, its saying he would give drivers 300k from lagos to kano for haulage, the trucks would be given out to the drivers after sometime to start business, and 13000 graduates applied for 1000 positions with phd and mba holders inclusive.

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by youngdady: 8:45am On Nov 02, 2012
If this is true then its not a bad idea, infact its a good bargain. Those earlier condemning this might want to have a rethink.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by confieey(m): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2012
So the 300k settles for haulage allowance and not the take home after month end?
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by vislabraye(m): 8:49am On Nov 02, 2012
That's good. 300,000 km would take a few years to cover. Not a bad deal cos the truck are brand new.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Okijajuju1(m): 8:52am On Nov 02, 2012
confieey: So the 300k settles for haulage allowance and not the take home after month end?

In trucking, you are paid per trip..

I once told somebody that long haul truck drivers make a shitload of money..

1100km driving at 80km/hh thats a 13 hour drive.. plus 2 - 3 hrs for traffic and potholes.. 300,000 in 20hrs isnt bad.. 4 trips per week and thats a million Naira easy!!

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by a1solution: 8:53am On Nov 02, 2012
the man does not want the drivers to ruff handle the vehicles that's all. strategy 101

6 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Oseniade(m): 8:55am On Nov 02, 2012
300,000 km? That's worth at least 7yrs of slavery.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by adewasco2k(m): 8:58am On Nov 02, 2012
a1solution: the man does not want the drivers to ruff handle the vehicles that's all. strategy 101
Badt guyz
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by realfreddy: 9:04am On Nov 02, 2012
Do you know what 300k kilometre is? Some of the drivers would have been long gone and buried before the trucks reach 300k.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 02, 2012
Okija_juju:

1100km driving at 80km/hh thats a 13 hour drive.. plus 2 - 3 hrs for traffic and potholes.. 300,000 in 20hrs isnt bad.. 4 trips per week and thats a million Naira easy!!

Well polished...but it doesn't play that easy. Have you been to the ports and seen the waiting period for loading? Or Obajana cement factory?...I persoanlly don't think a truck driver makes 48Million per annum. (1M x4(month)x12(a year).

4 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Lanresnett(m): 9:17am On Nov 02, 2012
Oseniade: 300,000 km? That's worth at least 7yrs of slavery.

its worth more. Plus or minus 13/14 years. These thrucks spend more time loading, and off loading, than u can imagine. And its 300,000 km, not 300,000 naira.
Driving trucks aint funny o, its when u start that u will understand, what it means driving to d north, consistently for the next, God knows hw long.
All d same, its good dangote employs 6500 graduates, to reduce d labour market for other graduates.
Thank u dangote, nigerian graduates r grateful

5 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by mkmyers45(m): 9:19am On Nov 02, 2012
If one manages 2 trips per month thats 600k and how many white collar Jobs can guarantee that in a year?

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by vislabraye(m): 9:25am On Nov 02, 2012
Okija_juju:

I don't understand your calculation. How did you arrive at that figure?
Speed has nothing to do with it and it doesn't matter how many hours you spend on the road.

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Clerverly: 9:25am On Nov 02, 2012
300K Haulage per trip means you would be required to fuel the truck to and fro, settle some little expense that may occur in the course of the journey, which will leave the driver with about 50k at cost of 150 naira per litre of gas.

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 02, 2012
The 300k naira is fuel inclusive

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by vislabraye(m): 9:32am On Nov 02, 2012
I want you guys to understand what 300,000km is. From Lagos to PH its between 650km-700km depending on the route you take.
From Lagos to Kano would be over a thousand kms. Depending on how frequently you're on the road within 2 to 4 years you've complete 300,000km.
For the young grads, not a bad deal.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Cupidkc(m): 9:33am On Nov 02, 2012
300k per trip? Apart from their basic salary. Huh thats gross,i doubt it.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Born2beRich1(m): 9:36am On Nov 02, 2012
mikedaniel76@gmail.com:
I feel for u and ur kinda mentality. U must be a calabar boy!!

You are feeling for someones mentallity meanwhile your own mentality is not different...Why must you bring in tribe to this discussion?...You wan remove speck of dust from someones eye meanwhile na wood dey your own....

Back to the topic: It is a good bargain but something smells fishy (am not condemning it o)...I hope dey wont give dem a contract to sign dat binds them to d company until dey reach their 300000km target....... 8
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by feelamong(m): 9:36am On Nov 02, 2012
Well Dangote is a business man and is not running a charitable organisation.

He knows how well HGV drivers earn in the developed countries and as such trying to entice people to come and "chop' with him.

Dangote knows quite well that by the time these trucks get to 300,000km milleage; they will all have a zero book value in their account statement and will possible be sold as scraps!

what really interest me is that 13,000 graduates applied for this job; 65 of them have MBA and 6 have Phd!

I guess they all have their own back up plans! cool

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by joey4jo: 9:37am On Nov 02, 2012
Clerverly: 300K Haulage per trip means you would be required to fuel the truck to and fro, settle some little expense that may occur in the course of the journey, which will leave the driver with about 50k at cost of 150 naira per litre of gas.
Just when you think there's no catch!
This is the 21st century people, nothing is giving away that easily! Haba!! If he pays that much the how much profit would he make?
But this whole thing would have been better using rail!
Save our roads
Less risk
More employment(to construct and maintain)
Cost way less
More cargo in one trip
And the list goes on!
Nigeria, when are we going to learn!?

6 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by vislabraye(m): 9:40am On Nov 02, 2012
Cupidkc: 300k per trip? Apart from their basic salary. Huh thats gross,i doubt it.

300,000 naira for one trip? Are they pilots or sailors. That is not possible O. I don't know how Okija juju did his calculation.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by orelove4liff: 9:40am On Nov 02, 2012
Oseniade: 300,000 km? That's worth at least 7yrs of slavery.
nigerians wil neva be grateful! Slavery?are they nt going to earn trip allowance?do u knw wot it takes to giv sum1 a truck without payin kobo?do u knw hw much a truck worth?has any of ur family giv out bicycle nt to talk of truck? U re an ingrate

5 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 02, 2012
dannywest:

Click the link under, its saying he would give drivers 300k from lagos to kano for haulage, the trucks would be given out to the drivers after sometime to start business, and 13000 graduates applied for 1000 positions with phd and mba holders inclusive.

He never said he would pay N300,000 but that he would give the truck to the driver after completing an Odometer trip of 300,000 kilometers.

It will take you at least 9 years of haulage for a new truck to average 300,000 kilometers. My 3 year old car still dey 75,000 kilometers.
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Ikandah: 9:58am On Nov 02, 2012
After 300,000km? This is cool settlement. Even at an average speed of 300km/day, the deal takes effect after 1000 days, that is, working for about 200 days per year, the task is completed in 5 years(approx).
Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by dannywest: 10:03am On Nov 02, 2012
okpara ugo:

He never said he would pay N300,000 but that he would give the truck to the driver after completing an Odometer trip of 300,000 kilometers.

It will take you at least 9 years of haulage for a new truck to average 300,000 kilometers. My 3 year old car still dey 75,000 kilometers.

the 3rd snippet, I just said what I saw, I wasnt there.

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 02, 2012
Okija_juju:

Oga, you cant make 4 trips in a week. Some trucks break down though not common with new trucks. You spend time at the factory waiting for your turn to load and then at depot waiting to offload. You can at much make 2 trips in a week. The condition of the roads and the seasons matter too. During heavy rainy season, a driver makes just one trip in a week because of shortfall in product demand. I deal with drivers who carry some goods for me.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Give Graduate Drivers Trucks After Use by mrprince3: 10:14am On Nov 02, 2012
dannywest:

"excerpt" He added that the drivers get trip allowances on each trip along with their salaries; after accomplishing 300, 000 kilometres with the truck, they will own it at no interests or repayments. WHERE DID YOU SEE 300K (thousand) i wonder what makes you a graduate if you cant comprehend this simple english passage. Shakes my head!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sunrose Consulting Interview On Friday / Is Pro-global Integrated Service Fake? / Malaria Consortium Latest Job Recruitment (13 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.