Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding (8224 Views)

Whats Wrong With This Photo Of A Semi Unclad Mother Breast-feeding Her Baby / My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / French Woman Offers Breast-feeding Service To Gay Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by SisiKill1: 10:28pm On Nov 01, 2012
Jeeedus! This man wants my Richy to kill him oooh!! lipsrsealed

I've tried to highlight main points of the article but you can click Here and Here for full articles

A Father's Case Against Breast-Feeding

In an article published on Wednesday in The Atlantic, one dad makes his case against breastfeeding, saying that the "breast is best" mindset added insult to injury after his wife struggled to nurse their son.

Betsy really wanted to breastfeed. She tried. Really hard. It wasn't easy," Chris Kornelis, music editor at Seattle Weekly, writes. "There were problems with the 'latch' and with Thomas getting enough to eat. We went to a lactation consultant, rented a pump, and were up every two hours for a hazy routine of turning on the machine, attaching the tubes, applying the supplemental nipple system, and trying to feed a crying baby. There wasn't much milk, but there were plenty of tears."

They turned to formula, and almost immediately their lives changed for the better.

Highlights of how their lives changed for the better according to the author

1) That meant that I could get up on my own and feed Thomas while his mom went for six hours of sleep,

2) I got to bond with my son. I got to sing him songs and tell him stories. Those hours of father-child bonding were a good thing. I got to take him to my parents' house for the day—without worrying about having enough milk or keeping it cold—and give Betsy an afternoon to rest.

3) Betsy and I got to go away for a long weekend—to be together, to work on our marriage, something that was not just good for us, but good for the baby, too.

He further states that the whole breast is the best campaign can make some parents feel like failures.

He is not alone in his stance against breastfeeding, some men have shared on how watching their wives breastfeed ruin their sexual appetite. Infidelity is a side-effect of extended breastfeeding, he writes, and "the positive effects of extended breast-feeding should be considered in light of the negative effects on the marriage."

Some women may feel that, when it comes to breastfeeding, dads shouldn't have a say at all. But Kornelis isn't actually making a case against breastfeeding; his article is more of a case against pressuring people to do what doesn't work for them, which makes sense, wrapped in a complaint about "ideal" being the same as "only," which doesn't.

The problem isn't which feeding method moms choose, it's the fact that parents who are striving to be perfect don't stop to consider what works best for them—and that some people think "breast is best" is a personal attack instead of a medical suggestion.

So Dads what do you think? Can watching you child feed send you to another woman's arms?

Moms do you believe Dad's thoughts should be considered when it comes to breastfeeding decisions?!

Moms who have had difficulties breast feeding. . .did you feel like failures? How supportive were your husbands? Daddies, where you slightly relieved you didn't have to share?

Finally, what do you think about the whole BREAST IS BEST campaign?

1 Like

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by SisiKill1: 10:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
In line with the topic. . .Here's Feeding Bottle Company's AD for their new bottles

Bottle Company's Bizarre, Sexist Ad Campaign Really Annoys Moms

Over the past few days, bottle maker Bitty Lab sent out the following Tweet at least 12 times, according to an original story posted on Care2.com:

That tweet was followed with this one:

Where to even begin?

Annie Slaughter, the writer of the original Care2.com story, wrote:

"This offensive marketing tactic presumes that a woman, or at least her breasts, belong to a man. It also attempts to create a false competition between the baby and the father, when the father should be supporting the mother in providing the best care and nutrition for her baby."

Read More [url=http://www.care2.com/causes/reclaim-your-wife-advertising-leaps-back-50-years.html#ixzz21Uz4yKfe]Here[/img]

I'm sorry but that RECLAIM YOUR WIFE bit is funny! cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Tgirl4real(f): 1:18am On Nov 02, 2012
Hmmm
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by baby124: 1:35am On Nov 02, 2012
Is this about a man being jealous of the baby and its food? Really, your child eating will cause you to cheat. undecided . A cheat is a cheat, this is just ridiculous.

3 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by MrsChima(f): 1:57am On Nov 02, 2012
I wish I would tell Chima I won't be breastfeeding his babies! Now when the babies start having teeth...I think you might want to protect your nipples cos they will start chewing on it like it is suya goat! angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by slimyem: 4:35am On Nov 02, 2012
I'm really struggling with understanding the relationship between a breastfeeding woman and the husband's infidelity...
Sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me...but lets just leave it to the men in the house to enlighten us like the op asked...
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by DrMuzungu(m): 10:54am On Nov 02, 2012
An infidel will find just about any excuse for his infidelity, lol.

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 02, 2012
Seeing babies suck and scatter those mammary organs wont make them as sexy as we always adored them, will they ?

1 Like

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by 1shortblackboy: 11:04am On Nov 02, 2012
Mcheeeeew angry
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Daresh(f): 11:06am On Nov 02, 2012
Men have always been stupid, nothing new in that. The slightest excuse sends them to another womans arms. Will I deprive my child or kill myself for them? HELL NO!!

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 02, 2012
Daresh: Men have always been stupid, nothing new in that. The slightest excuse sends them to another womans arms. Will I deprive my child or kill myself for them? HELL NO!!
Dont mind them. Just take your drugs.

4 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by vislabraye(m): 11:11am On Nov 02, 2012
Rubbish. Oyibo head no correct.
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by cleric(m): 11:18am On Nov 02, 2012
Billyonaire: Dont mind them. Just take your drugs.
grin grin grin you are just a clown! grin
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Lexoria: 11:47am On Nov 02, 2012
When they should be thinking how best to protect and give their new offspring the best nutrition.

Funny enough,I just asked my hubby 2days ago how he would have reacted if from our first DD I asked him permission not to B.reastfeed,he was looking at me in wonder.The next thing he said was "but thats not normal,how would u do something that abnormal to ur own child".So my 1month old will bosom feed till he's 1yr;his dada said so.Atleast no one will tease them abt being fed with goatmilk...lol

Whatever works for anyone tho.e for make sense to not do it sha cos there'll be no need for padded bra...lol.New wives take note!!

1 Like

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Kslib(m): 11:54am On Nov 02, 2012
Na wa oh.. Papa and pickin don begin drag for bosom milk.. Papa GOD too much,no wonder he gave women two bosoms.. One for papa,one for pickin...

1 Like

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Seun(m): 11:57am On Nov 02, 2012
Daresh: Men have always been stupid, nothing new in that. The slightest excuse sends them to another womans arms. Will I deprive my child or kill myself for them? HELL NO!!
Why marry a silly man?

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by ifyalways(f): 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2012
Dr Muzungu: An infidel will find just about any excuse for his infidelity, lol.
wow!
Didn't know a cheat can also be called an "infidel" .

Lolz, what's it with men and b00bs?na the mention of b00bs turn you sire to "Michel West" so?

@topic,those men ever heard of WHO and its resolution about b00b ownership and rationing?
Seriously though the idea that feeding a child can push a man, a dad, to cheat is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by lafuria1(m): 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2012
the man only did what was best for his wife and child since the wife couldnt breastfeed the child properly. he was just highlightig the advantages of bottle feeding his child. he made some valid point that is more realistic in the west.
infedility as a side effect was a latter observation, seeing the bossom of his wife still nrml. his point is simple which is a woman becomes less attractive to aman when her bossom eventually succumb to the downward pull of gravity caused by breastfeeding
but ofcourse his theory is wrong because anything that goes up must come down at anytime.

cheers......... grin

1 Like

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by coogar: 12:20pm On Nov 02, 2012
there shouldn't be any hassles here - my child can have the right böob and i will feed on the left one. a man cannot use such lame excuses to engage infidelity - that's too farfetched! i mean, what's the connection here?
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by ACM10: 12:21pm On Nov 02, 2012
space reserved
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by JOYJACOB: 12:44pm On Nov 02, 2012
cleric: grin grin grin you are just a clown! grin
cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by megareal: 12:55pm On Nov 02, 2012
I don't particularly care about the methods as long as it works for the baby. My sister's twins weaned themselves off breastmilk when they were just a month old. Nothing could make them change their minds. They went for solids. Cerelac and custard. I think the baby should determine how they want to be fed.
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by AkinDavid2: 1:08pm On Nov 02, 2012

Take it cool with us woman..Grrrrrr!!! shocked
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Mickey19: 1:16pm On Nov 02, 2012
This space is for sale.

grin
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Akposkool(m): 2:09pm On Nov 02, 2012
Mickey19: This space is for sale.

grin

this topic is kinda baseless to me.

1 Like

Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 02, 2012
megareal: I don't particularly care about the methods as long as it works for the baby. My sister's twins weaned themselves off breastmilk when they were just a month old. Nothing could make them change their minds. They went for solids. Cerelac and custard. I think the baby should determine how they want to be fed.

You're 100% correct.
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by phermonyx(m): 6:02pm On Nov 02, 2012
Hell hath no furry like a woman scorned. Itz nt all men dat broke ur heart in d past, just one or a few ones Ʊ wia silly enuf to av gven ur heart to.
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by freecocoa(f): 6:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
Wetin person no go hear for this world?
That man is just a blawdy cheat trying to justify his nonsense habit.
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by gunpoint(m): 8:16pm On Nov 02, 2012
I don't mind been breastfed myself embarassed
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by baby124: 8:28pm On Nov 02, 2012
gunpoint: I don't mind been breastfed myself embarassed

Who and what do you think you are . Picture it and how you will look. cheesy
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by Splendblex(f): 8:49pm On Nov 02, 2012
Billyonaire: Dont mind them. Just take your drugs.
Nnaa... grin
Re: A Father's Case Against Breast-feeding by ronkebp(f): 8:58pm On Nov 02, 2012
This is what happens when people run out or "reasonable" articles to write...Sisi-kill, i am laughing with you here, drinking a bowl of gari seasoned with nice groundnuts....dan-iskas!!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Prefer To Know The Gender Of Your Baby Before Giving Birth? / Suggest Names For Twins / See What People Are Buying Now For Arthritis - Knee Protector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.