Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,867 members, 7,802,798 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations (87625 Views)

Send Wedding Invitations Via Bulk SMS For Free!!! / Beautiful And Affordable Wedding Invitations In Nigeria From Weddingfeferity.com / Luxury Wedding Cards And Invitations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by playboy19(m): 2:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
Okija_juju: Hmmm... Some people use it as a VIP kinda thing.. So if you are inviting me, you will write.. R.S.V.P - Chief. Engr. Dr. Priest Ichie & Lolo Barrister Chief Dr. Mrs Esq. Okija Juju GCE, JAMB, SSCE, NCE, BSc., PHCN, PDP, UBA, FCMB & Native Doctor... CEO & President Okija Group of Companies Worldwide Limited. Importer, Exporter, Manufacturer and Supplier. . .

Without this, I no dey attend. My name must be RSVP'd.

Your father, if you like no attend. Only you with these titles abeg, you be God? Commot here grin grin grin
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by earlalright(m): 2:38pm On Nov 05, 2012
Thanks jor. $ don't u mind all these critics that forbid change based on better info and understanding. if I could, I would print my invitaions without venue and time so that unless u respond via RSVP, you would be left in the dark and who eva wan jam wall beta do am fast

4 Likes

Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by PosCaricature: 2:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
RSVP is a French expression meaning 'please reply'
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by PosCaricature: 2:42pm On Nov 05, 2012
RSVP (répondez s'il vous plai) is a French expression meaning 'please reply'
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by jeddyMay(f): 2:43pm On Nov 05, 2012
@OP, known fact!!!!!! thank sha for pushing it to my face again grin
despite that, RSVP is still RICE AND STEW VERY VERY VERY PLENTY tongue grin wink
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 05, 2012
RESERVE SEAT VERY IMPORTANT
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Kslib(m): 2:57pm On Nov 05, 2012
rafhell: RESERVE SEAT VERY IMPORTANT
Oga!! Na RSVP no be RSVI...

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by megxo(m): 2:59pm On Nov 05, 2012
mc~evans:

I suppose flog u sef grin
u de wish by 3pm, no airplanes wo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by megxo(m): 3:00pm On Nov 05, 2012
PosCaricature :
RSVP (répondez s'il vous plaiT) is a French expression meaning 'please reply'

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by chucky234(m): 3:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
wonderiyke: Well done @OP. The level of ignorance in our society is staggering. Rain checks like this is needed from time to time.
Gbagaunist
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by israel007: 3:09pm On Nov 05, 2012
most people who put it there don't even know the meaning.

when you get an iv you are suppose to get back to the person confirming to them if you will be there or not. as far as i am concerned, we no even need that heavey french RSVP because people wey no RSVP go still show take space pass people wey get the card/.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by chucky234(m): 3:23pm On Nov 05, 2012
Its a total waste of ones time knowing what RSVP stands for as it serves no damn purpose in our society,I have never seen anyone call a host to confirm his availability after being handed an invitation card based on the RSVP written on the card.
I used to be curious about the meaning until I checked in a dictionary in 2002 and I was disappointed seeing it being used by people without knowing what it stands for,its completely irrelevant in our society and there is no point using it on IVs.

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by shaneroberts26: 3:25pm On Nov 05, 2012
Isla Jenmi: What Does RSVP Mean When You See it on an Invitation? hehehe i caught y'all on this one, most people would be saying to themselves rice stew very plenty abi? well you are wrong RSVP means nothing like it..Let's Clear Up the Confusion Over the Phrase "RSVP"..you can thank me later....

This tip should help hosts and guests alike, because there seems to be a lot of confusion about the meaning of the term RSVP and what guests should do if they receive a request for them to RSVP.
I hear more and more often, and have found in my personal experience, that hosts often do not receive receive responses to their invitations. Therefore, hosts can't tell how many guests plan to attend their parties, even if an RSVP is clearly requested. This could mean either one of two things. First it could mean that rudeness is a growing trend in our society. Or, as I would prefer to believe, people no longer understand what the term means. Assuming the best, and that the reason guests don't RSVP to an invitation is a case of ignorance, not rudeness, I will clarify this for the record.

What RSVP Means
The term RSVP comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît", meaning "please respond". If RSVP is written on an invitation it means the invited guest must tell the host whether or not they plan to attend the party. It does not mean to respond only if you're coming, and it does not mean respond only if you're not coming (the expression "regrets only" is reserved for that instance). It means the host needs a definite head count for the planned event, and needs it by the date specified on the invitation.

Why It's Inconsiderate Not to RSVP
An incomplete list of respondents can cause numerous problems for a host including difficulty in planning food quantities, issues relating to minimum guarantees with catering halls, uncertainty over the number of party favors and difficulties in planning appropriate seating, among other things.
So the next time you see RSVP on an invitation you receive, please call your host and respond promptly.

So what are you waiting for...THANK ME NOW....LOL

http://islamiyyahconsultancyservices..com/2012/11/what-does-rsvp-mean-when-you-see-it-on.html
Sorry Op but u must b an OLODO lykwise those dat lykd dis.Na somtin wey u suppose kno for ur primary skul days na hin u dey boast of now?Shame on yhu!Shakin my dick for u.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Timijo(m): 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2012
Isla Jenmi: What Does RSVP Mean When You See it on an Invitation? hehehe i caught y'all on this one, most people would be saying to themselves rice stew very plenty abi? well you are wrong RSVP means nothing like it..Let's Clear Up the Confusion Over the Phrase "RSVP"..you can thank me later....

This tip should help hosts and guests alike, because there seems to be a lot of confusion about the meaning of the term RSVP and what guests should do if they receive a request for them to RSVP.
I hear more and more often, and have found in my personal experience, that hosts often do not receive receive responses to their invitations. Therefore, hosts can't tell how many guests plan to attend their parties, even if an RSVP is clearly requested. This could mean either one of two things. First it could mean that rudeness is a growing trend in our society. Or, as I would prefer to believe, people no longer understand what the term means. Assuming the best, and that the reason guests don't RSVP to an invitation is a case of ignorance, not rudeness, I will clarify this for the record.

What RSVP Means
The term RSVP comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît", meaning "please respond". If RSVP is written on an invitation it means the invited guest must tell the host whether or not they plan to attend the party. It does not mean to respond only if you're coming, and it does not mean respond only if you're not coming (the expression "regrets only" is reserved for that instance). It means the host needs a definite head count for the planned event, and needs it by the date specified on the invitation.

Why It's Inconsiderate Not to RSVP
An incomplete list of respondents can cause numerous problems for a host including difficulty in planning food quantities, issues relating to minimum guarantees with catering halls, uncertainty over the number of party favors and difficulties in planning appropriate seating, among other things.
So the next time you see RSVP on an invitation you receive, please call your host and respond promptly.

So what are you waiting for...THANK ME NOW....LOL

http://islamiyyahconsultancyservices..com/2012/11/what-does-rsvp-mean-when-you-see-it-on.html
Thanks
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by AkpuNku2: 3:33pm On Nov 05, 2012
Table Leg :
Robin Sh*t Van Persie undecided

another chelksi lunatic on de loose
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by yungdamaz(m): 3:46pm On Nov 05, 2012
Kslib: Me: good morning
Ijebu woman: good morning my pikin
Me: abeg you know d meaning of RSVP
ijebu woman: no nah.. How dat one take concine me?
Me: ehn,i know say e no concine you,but try small..
Ijebu woman: ok my pikin.. Oya come close make i tell you,so dat people no go laugh me if i fail am..
Me: ok ma..**draws closer***
ijebu woman: **drops paint rubber,and gives him a very dirty hot slap "##Kpa kpa gbooosa###.. Next time if u ask me question wey no go reduce price of garr! Again,i go wound you... Rsvp ko...rvps ni
Me: **tries to gain balance with tears rolling down and stammers "give me one cup "
lwkmd....rdof...cum mk i hep u press d face wit hotwater..lol
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 05, 2012
Most pple on this thread acting like Mr know it all....I always knew RSVP means Responde Sil vous plait french for please respond. I thought it meant u shud respond and come for the event. Didn't knw it meant u needed to contact whoever sent u the I.V for him to know how many people would be coming for the party. That makes more sense. Thank you Op for this new added knowledge. Frm now on I'll actually contact the people who give me I.V beforehand if I can make it or not.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Okijajuju1(m): 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
12 inches!:
Most pple on this thread acting like Mr know it all....I always knew RSVP means Responde Sil vous plait french for please respond. I thought it meant u shud respond and come for the event. Didn't knw it meant u needed to contact whoever sent u the I.V for him to know how many people would be coming for the party. That makes more sense. Thank you Op for this new added knowledge. Frm now on I'll actually contact the people who give me I.V beforehand if I can make it or not.

The point of an RSVP in Obodo Oyibo is simply because most of their events are strictly by invitation.. So if you are invited and wouldnt be able to attend, you respond to the RSVP so your seat cant be given to someone else.. and respond to confirm your resevation as well.. Simple.. I always knew this.. I have always been RSVP'd all my life.. grin
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by anintia(m): 4:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
na the rice and stew sure pass o
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Remii(m): 4:52pm On Nov 05, 2012
it is an anti mogbo moya simple.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Lankaline(m): 5:11pm On Nov 05, 2012
Kslib: Me: good morning
Ijebu woman: good morning my pikin
Me: abeg you know d meaning of RSVP
ijebu woman: no nah.. How dat one take concine me?
Me: ehn,i know say e no concine you,but try small..
Ijebu woman: ok my pikin.. Oya come close make i tell you,so dat people no go laugh me if i fail am..
Me: ok ma..**draws closer***
ijebu woman: **drops paint rubber,and gives him a very dirty hot slap "##Kpa kpa gbooosa###.. Next time if u ask me question wey no go reduce price of garr! Again,i go wound you... Rsvp ko...rvps ni
Me: **tries to gain balance with tears rolling down and stammers "give me one cup "
This is real funny
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Jaywon242(m): 5:15pm On Nov 05, 2012
Rapid Serial Visual Presentation
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2012
Remii: it is an anti mogbo moya simple.

ℓ☺ℓ.... U're a clown.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Jaywon242(m): 5:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
So true. Most pple do not know what it means. Dey just input it on their invitation cards. However,I knew dis when I was in SS2 and dat's 15 years ago. Anyway,thanks for educating some pple.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by ITbomb(m): 6:04pm On Nov 05, 2012
it means here are the dignitaries in my family , then u go ahead to put Hon Dr . . ., Engr. . .

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Koladechris(m): 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2012
'Respondez sil vous plait'
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by a1solution: 6:49pm On Nov 05, 2012
Okija_juju: Hmmm... Some people use it as a VIP kinda thing.. So if you are inviting me, you will write.. R.S.V.P - Chief. Engr. Dr. Priest Ichie & Lolo Barrister Chief Dr. Mrs Esq. Okija Juju GCE, JAMB, SSCE, NCE, BSc., PHCN, PDP, UBA, FCMB & Native Doctor... CEO & President Okija Group of Companies Worldwide Limited. Importer, Exporter, Manufacturer and Supplier. . .

Na so your title plenty? Before them introduce you finish party don finish.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by ideee03(f): 7:43pm On Nov 05, 2012

lmao@ ur titles.
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by dnawah(m): 8:07pm On Nov 05, 2012
Sister u 4 just put d meaning na! u no need to put plenty gramma o!
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by DDNICE: 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2012
Thank for the post it helped my ignorance
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by jhydebaba(m): 10:01pm On Nov 05, 2012
I remembered in JSS1 during a french class, the teacher asked the meaning of RSVP and I raised my hand up like Akpors, the teacher called on me being the only person that raised up his hand. Majestically, I stood up and said "Rice and Stew Very Plenty".
Re: Meaning Of RSVP On Invitations by Lamasta(m): 10:27pm On Nov 05, 2012
"Risikatu Shun Vice President"

Next topic pls....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lady Dancing With A Man At Burial Ceremony. See Photos / Bride Sparks Controversy On Social Media With The Way She Displays Her Boobs / Akinade And Olufunto Married As Virgins!! (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.