Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,795 members, 7,806,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. (1083 Views)

Pastor Mrs. Mary vs Pastor Mrs. Martha in Nigeria / The Rosary Consists Of 53 Repetitious Prayers To Mary And 6 To God / Worship Of Mary And The Use Of Images In The Catholic Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by nitrogen(m): 11:04am On Nov 03, 2012
Hardly can i forget those stories that we were told by our teachers in bible study sessions when i was young, one that just came into my mind is the story of how Jesus Christ went to visit Lazarus, the man he woke up (after he was dead for four days), by the way, Lazarus had two sisters, Mary and Martha.
When he(Christ) got there, he sat presumably in their parlour teaching, now, both of Lazarus sisters were in the house, but not in the same place, while one was at the master’s feet listening to his teachings and eating the spiritual food, the other was busy preparing the earthly food. Maybe, out of fustration, Martha came to tell the master (Christ) of her supposed Mary’s negligence, but the master simply rebuffed her claims and told her that Mary was doing the right thing by hearing the word first before any other thing.
It was therefore obvious that Martha simply misplaced priorities and did the wrong thing at the one chance and time available.

Nowadays, we all do things in a Martha-ish way, there are cases where we neglect the things that are necessary and we do the things that are not necessary.
A situation where an undergraduate neglects the main reason why he/she is in school and all he would want to do is to party, drink and dance around with his friends is strange and Martha-ish.
When a leader, whose part of his main responsibilities is to ensure the safety and security of his subordinates and subjects, but he is found attending summits and seminars where he is just an observer, while the security of his subjects has been breached, it is absurd and Martha-ish in nature.
A Shepard that is expected to feed his sheep accordingly but neglects that and instead exploit the obedience and loyalty of the sheep by riding on their backs, it is un-called for and as well as martha-ish.

Many times we simply leave the main reasons why we were given chances and we’re side attracted to the non-necessities, it is absurd, such opportunities might just not come again. We should not misplace priorities.
Please do the right thing at the right and required time.

1 Like

Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 1:10pm On Nov 03, 2012
^^^^^^ yeah right.

U dey critisize Martha abi?
Have you ever asked yourself why after jesus made this comment, Martha no stop cooking.
or have you ever wondered why Jesus no just say "Martha stop cooking. Come siddon here make i nack you story"?

1 Like

Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by nitrogen(m): 3:58pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^^^^ i dey wait you ooo
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 5:11pm On Nov 04, 2012
nitrogen: ^^^^^^ i dey wait you ooo

waiting for wetin?
If na for argument, I am not interested

If its for you to catch another glimpse of this scripture
then here it is.
Simply put on your imagination hat and come with me...

Imagine a rowdy session of folks
people throwing banter, laughing, talking etc
Imagine Martha then comming to Jesus in this circumstance, sulking and complaining about Mary

Next, imagine Jesus grinning.
look at the bible again.
Jesus called Martha's name twice."Martha, Martha"
Why was this?

he was only yabbing her in humour
Think about this carefully and .............slooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly

Now you know!!!!
So please, let Martha be
afterall, Jesus chop the food wen she cook
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by nitrogen(m): 6:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
esere826:

waiting for wetin?
If na for argument, I am not interested

If its for you to catch another glimpse of this scripture
then here it is.
Simply put on your imagination hat and come with me...

Imagine a rowdy session of folks
people throwing banter, laughing, talking etc
Imagine Martha then comming to Jesus in this circumstance, sulking and complaining about Mary

Next, imagine Jesus grinning.
look at the bible again.
Jesus called Martha's name twice."Martha, Martha"
Why was this?

he was only yabbing her in humour
Think about this carefully and .............slooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly

Now you know!!!!
So please, let Martha be
afterall, Jesus chop the food wen she cook

chai!! nawa o, where dat one dey for your bible?
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 6:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
nitrogen:
chai!! nawa o, where dat one dey for your bible?

Lol grin

no,... Jesus and Mary no chop d food.
dem dey vex with Martha.
im leave am for Martha and im disciples to chop abi
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by nitrogen(m): 7:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
esere826:

Lol grin

no,... Jesus and Mary no chop d food.
dem dey vex with Martha.
im leave am for Martha and im disciples to chop abi
buhahahahaha, you are very funny
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 8:00pm On Nov 04, 2012
nitrogen:
buhahahahaha, you are very funny

yep dude
but trying to make a point
I wont want my name to always be mentioned 2000 years from now in the wrong way
Martha was a great host, and Jesus didnt mean to rubbish her
He just wanted her to stop disturbing her baby sister, Mary and took Mary's side in a humorous way

Afterall, no one calls Peter satan (since Jesus last did this) for standing in between jesus and his mission
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by AjanleKoko: 5:48pm On Nov 05, 2012
Martha has been very much vilified in history by Bible scholars. My take.
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 7:43pm On Nov 05, 2012
AjanleKoko: Martha has been very much vilified in history by Bible scholars. My take.

Unfortunately she has.

Its almost like vlifying ushers and other churc workers and then praising church bench warmers
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by nitrogen(m): 6:52am On Dec 09, 2012
esere826:

Unfortunately she has.

Its almost like vlifying ushers and other churc workers and then praising church bench warmers

angry angry angry
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 10:42am On Dec 09, 2012
nitrogen:

angry angry angry

I wasn't dising you o.
bench warming also has its advantage
for example they swell the church population and also provide some financial resources
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by nitrogen(m): 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2012
esere826:

I wasn't dising you o.
bench warming also has its advantage
for example they swell the church population and also provide some financial resources
Like helping to amass wealth for the head through tithe and offering, or what? Cos that's the trend.
Re: Mary And Martha: The Right Thing At The Right Time. by esere826: 7:44pm On Dec 09, 2012
nitrogen:
Like helping to amass wealth for the head through tithe and offering, or what? Cos that's the trend.

Umh...
as Jesus said,:
"you said it"

(1) (Reply)

Anony, Do You Still Hold That As An Atheist There Is Nothing Wrong With Ra.pe? / See Why CLAM Pst Wole Oladiyun Is Warning Everyone To Stop Indulging In MouthAction / Declare God's Word Daily Over Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.