Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? (7334 Views)

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? / Can man live without God? Why do people who reject God seem to live happy lives / Paula White: Without Walls Or Without God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 2:30am On Nov 04, 2012
If God does not exist then objective moral principles and obligations do not exist. Morality would only be a matter of individual or cultural opinion. But this would mean that torturing babies for fun, rape, & child abuse are not really objectively wrong, and are only a matter of opinion. How likely is it, though, that these atrocities are not really objectively wrong? Can you live with this conclusion? Our deepest intuitions inform us that these actions are horribly wrong.

This is really a summary of a moral argument for God’s existence. Formally it looks like this:

1.If God does not exist, objective moral principles & obligations do not exist
Objective moral principles & obligations do exist
Therefore, God exists
Consider premise
2. By objective we mean independent of opinion, just like 2 + 2 = 4 is objectively true even if everyone in the world disagreed. Despite people’s claims to being relativists, most people live as if they do believe in objective moral principles & obligations. It’s easy to say there are no objective moral principles & obligations, but it’s much more difficult to live as if there are none.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 4:31am On Nov 04, 2012
The judgments we make when ourselves and others are unjustly treated, like in the above atrocities, reveal what we really believe about morality, regardless of what we say we believe. We believe that these atrocities are moral abominations, not just infringements of mere social conventions or personal dislikes. If objective moral principles & obligations do not exist where does our sense of duty and obligation come from?

This leads us to premise 1. If there is no God it is difficult to see how there could be any objective foundation, any universal standard for good and evil. How do you get ethics from only different arrangements of space, time, matter and energy? A purely materialistic universe would be morally indifferent. We would have only individual or cultural opinion, but no objectively binding moral obligations!
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 4:31am On Nov 04, 2012
Some have suggested that we can provide an objective foundation for morality without appealing to God. Morality has just evolved over the centuries, they suggest, because it promotes human flourishing and survival. Whatever promotes human flourishing and survival is good. Whatever doesn’t promote human flourishing and survival is bad. That is all we need for objectivity in morality, they claim.There is no need for God.

But if God does not exist, the critical assumption that human beings are objectively valuable is not available. Humans, like everything else in the universe, would be just accidental arrangements of atoms, and therefore, we could not justifiably declare that humans are objectively valuable. Furthermore why think the morality of the human species, above all other species, is objectively binding rather than just our opinion?

Moreover, if morality evolved because it produced survival benefits, we would not have objective moral principles & obligations. We would sense that objective moral obligations exist, but they really wouldn’t. Once we’ve figured out that our feeling of morality with regard to say, rape, is just a biological adaptation inculcated into us over millions of years, then we would have no reason to regard rape as objectively wrong anymore.

Since, we know that objective moral principles & obligations do exist, and since they cannot exist without God, it follows that God exists. (modus tollens)

If the God of classical theism existed, an objective foundation for morality would exist. God’s holy and good nature would be the objective standard. God’s nature would be expressed through divine commands which would flow necessarily from his moral nature. Thus we would have objective moral principles & obligations.

Written by Michael Horner
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 4:52am On Nov 04, 2012
Morality already exists without god

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by k2039: 5:47am On Nov 04, 2012
Morality is based on the constitution of a country(that's why their is a constitution)

Its common sense to know what is right and wrong.Most people just decide not to use their common sense

2 Likes

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by thehomer: 10:32am On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt: If God does not exist then objective moral principles and obligations do not exist. Morality would only be a matter of individual or cultural opinion. But this would mean that torturing babies for fun, rape, & child abuse are not really objectively wrong, and are only a matter of opinion. How likely is it, though, that these atrocities are not really objectively wrong? Can you live with this conclusion? Our deepest intuitions inform us that these actions are horribly wrong.

This is really a summary of a moral argument for God’s existence. Formally it looks like this:

Therefore, God exists
Consider premise
2. By objective we mean independent of opinion, just like 2 + 2 = 4 is objectively true even if everyone in the world disagreed. Despite people’s claims to being relativists, most people live as if they do believe in objective moral principles & obligations. It’s easy to say there are no objective moral principles & obligations, but it’s much more difficult to live as if there are none.

Firstly, which God are you referring to as the basis of this morality?
Secondly, what is the relationship between this God and morality? Are acts moral because the God says they are or does God say they're moral because they're moral?
Thirdly, which one comes first, God or morality? What I mean is does morality tell you that this God exists or does the God tell you that there's morality?
Finally, what do you actually mean by morality? e.g is homosexuality immoral? How about abortion in a case of rape, euthanasia and working on the Sabbath?

3 Likes

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by thehomer: 10:36am On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt: The judgments we make when ourselves and others are unjustly treated, like in the above atrocities, reveal what we really believe about morality, regardless of what we say we believe. We believe that these atrocities are moral abominations, not just infringements of mere social conventions or personal dislikes. If objective moral principles & obligations do not exist where does our sense of duty and obligation come from?

This leads us to premise 1. If there is no God it is difficult to see how there could be any objective foundation, any universal standard for good and evil. How do you get ethics from only different arrangements of space, time, matter and energy? A purely materialistic universe would be morally indifferent. We would have only individual or cultural opinion, but no objectively binding moral obligations!

I don't need a God to know that stealing, murder or paedophilia is immoral. While the universe is indifferent, I don't see how it then means that humans too must be indifferent. What notion of "objectively binding" are you using? I ask because even if God objectively decides you must sacrifice your first child as a burnt offering, is that command "objectively binding"?

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt: If God does not exist then objective moral principles and obligations do not exist. Morality would only be a matter of individual or cultural opinion. But this would mean that torturing babies for fun, rape, & child abuse are not really objectively wrong, and are only a matter of opinion. How likely is it, though, that these atrocities are not really objectively wrong? Can you live with this conclusion? Our deepest intuitions inform us that these actions are horribly wrong.

Therefore, God exists
Consider premise

If GOD exists, which God?
And human's need to survive as a society could create 'objective morality' in a sense... ever heard of diplomacy? We need everyone to stay in line, so we can achieve and maintain some form of sense and order, don't you think?
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 3:08pm On Nov 04, 2012
“We don't need a God to know right from wrong.”
Can each individual decide what’s right and wrong for themselves? Suppose you came to a traffic light and decided that red meant “Go” and green meant “Stop.” You would have made up your own standard, but would you be right?

Can society decide what’s right or wrong? Throughout history, societies have allowed ethnic cleansing, massacres, and wars. When you denounce these and other atrocities, you are also acknowledging that there is a standard higher than what a society decides.

It is impossible for fallible human beings to create an absolute standard. That’s why morality must come from a living and conscious source who is beyond the changing world of human imperfection. God, our creator, is that source. He holds us to his eternal standards of right and wrong.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 5:57pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^
Long and short of it, for your argument, there is no god. So when you say it's mandated by god, you're simply saying it's mandated by man claiming it's mandated by a god(s).

2 Likes

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 6:41pm On Nov 04, 2012
Whaaa? Rephrase that ^^
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt: Whaaa? Rephrase that ^^

You claim god creates moral law, there is no god so that's not possible. I'm using 'god' here to represent yahweh or any other supernatural force. If someone claims he were mandated by god, his claims would be false (unless he could show you this god of course). Mind you he's not necessarily consciously lying, he could just be mistaken one way or the other. Ultimately all moral codes have been drafted by humans, even if unwittingly. You could present your evidence to show otherwise.

Anyways, god or no, you seem to be pushing what some call trandenscendal morality. Read this if you're ever free (e long tire, but maybe just the green bits should suffice)

www.nairaland.com/1090616/biological-basis-morality
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by thehomer: 7:32pm On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt: “We don't need a God to know right from wrong.”
Can each individual decide what’s right and wrong for themselves? Suppose you came to a traffic light and decided that red meant “Go” and green meant “Stop.” You would have made up your own standard, but would you be right?

Why on earth will you decide that?

tevinsolt:
Can society decide what’s right or wrong? Throughout history, societies have allowed ethnic cleansing, massacres, and wars. When you denounce these and other atrocities, you are also acknowledging that there is a standard higher than what a society decides.

It is impossible for fallible human beings to create an absolute standard. That’s why morality must come from a living and conscious source who is beyond the changing world of human imperfection. God, our creator, is that source. He holds us to his eternal standards of right and wrong.

How do you know what God's standards are? If you don't know what they are, how do you know that what you think counts as being moral is actually moral?

You can also try responding to actual posts rather than writing as if you're just lifting words from another book.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 8:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
wiegraf:

You claim god creates moral law, there is no god so that's not possible. I'm using 'god' here to represent yahweh or any other supernatural force. If someone claims he were mandated by god, his claims would be false (unless he could show you this god of course). Mind you he's not necessarily consciously lying, he could just be mistaken one way or the other. Ultimately all moral codes have been drafted by humans, even if unwittingly. You could present your evidence to show otherwise.

Anyways, god or no, you seem to be pushing what some call trandenscendal morality. Read this if you're ever free (e long tire, but maybe just the green bits should suffice)

www.nairaland.com/1090616/biological-basis-morality

So from your world view, what is morlaity to you?
how do you think we got here??
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2012
thehomer:

Why on earth will you decide that?

How do you know what God's standards are? If you don't know what they are, how do you know that what you think counts as being moral is actually moral?

You can also try responding to actual posts rather than writing as if you're just lifting words from another book.

I know it through the bible.....God is holy, good, and love.......Jesus a sinless man claimed to be God in human flesh, he was either lying through his teeth or wait .... he might be who he actually claimed to be.....his life , death and resurrection supports his claim and affirms that the God written about in the Torah is the one true God.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt:

Morality is a human construct. Basically that long article's empirical view is hard to argue with. I'd personally like to have trandenscendal system built around natural evil (which simply means injurious to any life), but that's a complicated issue I couldn't explain now. This would be similar to what you propose except without god, just using natural laws and human common sense. Regardless, what I would like to be happening is very different from and less important than what is objectively happening.

Complications aside, morality is more or else a code of conducting business. Imo with religion involved we tend to corrupt it by accommodating needless bits from said religions.

I don't know how we got here, I'm just sure there were no gods or supernatural forces involved. Same way I know there were no gods involved in creating the internet, even if I don't fully understand how the entire framework exists. There was no intelligent designer either, unlike the internet. Breeders can create hairless cats after just a few centuries of breeding yet it takes god(s) 13 billion years and hundreds of billions of stars in hundreds of billions of galaxies to come up with humanity? And some religions portray all this as being built just for us? Anyways, there are many reasons to not believe, one being ignorance is not a valid reason to assume the existence of a god(s).

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2012
Double post
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 10:08pm On Nov 04, 2012
wiegraf:

Morality is a human construct. Basically that long article's empirical view is hard to argue with. I'd personally like to have trandenscendal system built around natural evil (which simply means injurious to any life), but that's a complicated issue I couldn't explain now. This would be similar to what you propose except without god, just using natural laws and human common sense. Regardless, what I would like to be happening is very different from and less important than what is objectively happening.

Complications aside, morality is more or else a code of conducting business. Imo with religion involved we tend to corrupt it by accommodating needless bits from said religions.

I don't know how we got here, I'm just sure there were no gods or supernatural forces involved. Same way I know there were no gods involved in creating the internet, even if I don't fully understand how the entire framework exists. There was no intelligent designer either, unlike the internet. Breeders can create hairless cats after just a few centuries of breeding yet it takes god(s) 13 billion years and hundreds of billions of stars in hundreds of billions of galaxies to come up with humanity? And some religions portray all this as being built just for us? Anyways, there are many reasons to not believe, one being ignorance is not a valid reason to assume the existence of a god(s).

so let me get this straight, there's is no God or an intelligent creator when reality clearly shows, behind every thing there's is a mind behind it, but no you would rather believe in a miracle without a miracle worker....hmm sounds interesting.

what is the purpose of your existence/what do you live for? and what is the evidence that what you live for is reliable?

also who are you to decide how God chooses to create?......u claim morality is a human construct, are you sure? because if you are there's is no right or wrong, if you do not believe in a God, you have no value, you are just a spec of dust in the universe and the idea you are valuable than a grass is an illusion because you basically thing........i could go around claiming "i'm the greatest, i'm the greatest" but it doesn't make it true, because it is just an idea i formulated in my mind and it's an illusion

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 10:22pm On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt:

so let me get this straight, there's is no God or an intelligent creator when reality clearly shows, behind every thing there's is a mind behind it, but no you would rather believe in a miracle without a miracle worker....hmm sounds interesting.

what is the purpose of your existence/what do you live for? and what is the evidence that what you live for is reliable?

also who are you to decide how God chooses to create?......u claim morality is a human construct, are you sure? because if you are there's is no right or wrong, if you do not believe in a God, you have no value, you are just a spec of dust in the universe and the idea you are valuable than a grass is an illusion because you basically thing........i could go around claiming "i'm the greatest, i'm the greatest" but it doesn't make it true, because it is just an idea i formulated in my mind and it's an illusion

This is rather terrible, built on assumption upon assumption. The bold is particularly silly, and I've already addressed it no less. From there on, false assumptions
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 10:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
wiegraf:

This is rather terrible, built on assumption upon assumption. The bold is particularly silly, and I've already addressed it no less. From there on, false assumptions

if it's assumption then come out and say it for what it is....
on planet earth things comes from something prior and this is fact, calling you a spec dust is not assumption it's a logical conclusion on what you believe
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 10:44pm On Nov 04, 2012
tevinsolt:

if it's assumption then come out and say it for what it is....
on planet earth things comes from something prior and this is fact, calling you a spec dust is not assumption it's a logical conclusion on what you believe

Like I already said, you don't know how something works does not equate to god(s) made it. Extend that miracles, you don't know does not equate to miracles, it equates to ignorance.

Compared to the vastness of the universe I'd day I'm probably even less relevant than a grain of sand is to a beach. But if you meant that as an insult, you don't want me insulting you.

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 11:07pm On Nov 04, 2012
wiegraf:

Like I already said, you don't know how something works does not equate to god(s) made it. Extend that miracles, you don't know does not equate to miracles, it equates to ignorance.

Compared to the vastness of the universe I'd day I'm probably even less relevant than a grain of sand is to a beach. But if you meant that as an insult, you don't want me insulting you.

again we are still not on the same page.....i believe in a God that gave the ten commandments as plum line to measure our conscience against, the laws was giving for our own good to maintain the sanctity of each and every individual. the evidence for my believe is Jesus an historical person, he confirmed the Torah as being the word of God, because he claimed to be God himself, he was sinless, his character proved the very essence of God in the bible as being true.

this is not some blind faith, it's a faith based on the evidence, and if you do not believe he existed, you can take it up with historians......now i'm asking you what is the evidence that gives credibility to your own world view.

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 11:11pm On Nov 04, 2012
and also based on your view, there is no right or wrong, how can tiny things in the universe decide what is moral and what is not? and a sense of worth and value is an illusion, it's only in your mind because you are irrelevant in the whole of the universe.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by wiegraf: 11:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
First post, your arguments amount to "because I say so". You don't seem to understand how burden of proof works. We probably don't have the resources to tackle that, but to sum it up I'd say I won't waste time disproving something you've not proven. You are the one making the claim here, that a personal god in particular exists. So where's your evidence? It's written in the bible amounts to me saying wizards exist because it's written in the harry potter books. I could also ask you if you have any more evidence than the sikhs, hindus, muslims, that crazy homeless guy that preaches on the corner, etc have. They all claim their holy books (or speeches in the case of our crazy homeless) were ordained by god(s). And arguing from ignorance is just that, arguing from ignorance

Etc etc many other reasons.

tevinsolt: and also based on your view, there is no right or wrong, how can tiny things in the universe decide what is moral and what is not? and a sense of worth and value is an illusion, it's only in your mind because you are irrelevant in the whole universe.

My earlier post addresses this as well. Following the empirical view, the bold is mostly true in a sense. I've already stated I'd prefer something built around natural evil, similar to what you propose just without gods involved. Built around how much pain and suffering people's actions engender. And I'd like to extend that to all life, not just humans, in other words we don't mindlessly exploit other forms of life. But that's just what I'd like it to be. In actual practice we make it up as we go, and it reflects. Slavery was once accepted by the judeo-christian faiths, now they all frown on it. Lots of other examples. Consider the mandated by god shariah, obviously the result of a human mind, would you agree? That's how others not indoctrinated to or members of judeo-xtian faiths view xtianity's morals as well. They are man made, and evolving

Do we have the right to decide our destinies? Why not? Besides I don't see anyone else around. And even if your god existed, wouldn't it have to make up its own purpose as well?
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by Callotti: 5:38am On Nov 05, 2012
It already exists! kiss
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by thehomer: 1:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
tevinsolt:

I know it through the bible.....God is holy, good, and love.......

I don't think it is a sigh of goodness or love to command atrocities like genocide or to encourage slavery.

tevinsolt:
Jesus a sinless man claimed to be God in human flesh, he was either lying through his teeth or wait .... he might be who he actually claimed to be.....his life , death and resurrection supports his claim and affirms that the God written about in the Torah is the one true God.

Maybe that Jesus figure was simply a legend.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tpia6: 3:27am On Nov 24, 2014
tevinsolt:
The judgments we make when ourselves and others are unjustly treated, like in the above atrocities, reveal what we really believe about morality, regardless of what we say we believe. We believe that these atrocities are moral abominations, not just infringements of mere social conventions or personal dislikes. If objective moral principles & obligations do not exist where does our sense of duty and obligation come from?

Ethics ( or the lack of them) come from our environment.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tpia6: 3:30am On Nov 24, 2014
tevinsolt:

You should know there would be no morality if there were no amorality.

And what is considered amoral in some places, is moral in others

Its a question of whose morality (or mores) are followed at any point in time, and what values ( oftentimes financial) are placed on whatever is considered moral or amoral.

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by simplex2: 6:55am On Nov 24, 2014
Yes! God saw nothing wrong with polygamy and slave trade.
Morality wiped them out of existence.

Yes, we can cheesygrin

1 Like

Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by tevinsolt: 10:45pm On Nov 28, 2014
tpia6:

You should know there would be no morality if there were no amorality.

And what is considered amoral in some places, is moral in others

Its a question of whose morality (or mores) are followed at any point in time, and what values ( oftentimes financial) are placed on whatever is considered moral or amoral.

Morality by definition is an idea that upholds the worth and dignity of humans. immorality is opposite, you can't have one be the other that's a contradiction. there's never a time the murder of someone is right or the rape of someone is right, in the absolute sense of it rape is wrong, regardless of anyone's opinion.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by thehomer: 3:28pm On Nov 29, 2014
tevinsolt:

Morality by definition is an idea that upholds the worth and dignity of humans. immorality is opposite, you can't have one be the other that's a contradiction. there's never a time the murder of someone is right or the rape of someone is right, in the absolute sense of it rape is wrong, regardless of anyone's opinion.

This means that the Christian God is immoral since he ordered the murder of infants and the rape of people.
Re: Can Objective Morality Exist Without God? by PastorAIO: 3:40pm On Nov 29, 2014
tevinsolt:
If God does not exist then objective moral principles and obligations do not exist. Morality would only be a matter of individual or cultural opinion. But this would mean that torturing babies for fun, rape, & child abuse are not really objectively wrong, and are only a matter of opinion.

9Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Psalm 137

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Watched Mount Zion Film Lately? / The Question Most Christians Fail All The Time / Motivational Speakers Or Gospel Preachers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.