Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,237 members, 7,807,788 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" (4062 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 04, 2012
I posted a comment on a thread today using "Negroes" to describe black people - and Nigerians have been chatting nonsense about it... It's laughable because the word "negro" actually means black - and it's an old school word... Funny enough, most of the greatest African Americans referred to themselves as Negroes - and the clamour for the disuse of the word started during the surge of Afrocentrism in America... And those who clamoured for the disuse are the same people most Nigerians refer to as confused lots and racist-blacks/black-supremacists who just want a connection to the Africa...

It just shows that most Nigerians are hypocrites - they only slag people when it suits their agenda... Pathetic people, I tell ya...
Re: What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
its so funny how you got nerve to open this, im in the church now, i will leave this space for my self.

but before i leave, know first your context for using the word, we all on nl know its all to mock black race cos nigerians is also one and admit it! and funny of it all is that you are black for that matter.
you ran away last night maybe to go do some google work so ur dream imaginary nairaland girls wont laugh at ur so claim high IQ.

i will be back son!

2 Likes

Re: What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by pitex: 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2012
[quote author=shymexx]I posted a comment on a thread today using "Negroes" to describe black people - and Nigerians have been chatting nonsense about it... It's laughable because the word "negro" actually means black - and it's an old school word... Funny enough, most of the greatest African Americans referred to themselves as Negroes - and the clamour for the disuse of the word started during the surge of Afrocentrism in America... And those who clamoured for the disuse are the same people most Nigerians refer to as confused lots and racist-blacks/black-supremacists who just want a connection to the Africa...

It just shows that most Nigerians are hypocrites - they only slag people when it suits their agenda... Pathetic people, I tell ya...

O boy, u need to update ursef o, cuz English words change rapidly. Beside, u got it wrong to say dt blacks use d word NEGRO, 4 ur info. It was d wight who generate d word negro nd dy refer it to d black in a way to muck dem. That was wen slavery was still at it peek.

Peeps like Leopold sender sengor create a movement called negritude. It was used to counter d western ideology on racism. Check six edition of oxford,u won't see d word negritude,bt is there in 7 edition. If u check d meaning of negro in old dictionary,it'll tell u dt it refers to black peeps. While the latest edition dictionaries will tell u dt is an offensive word/racism.

I actually used it sometimes ago wen I was writing a poem, but thnk God I checked my phone 4 dictionary meaning.

Note dt the word negro is been used to mock blacks in diz contemporary period. Plz stop using it.
Re: What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 04, 2012
Toaskarity: its so funny how you got nerve to open this, im in the church now, i will leave this space for my self.

but before i leave, know first your context for using the word, we all on nl know its all to mock black race cos nigerians is also one and admit it! and funny of it all is that you are black for that matter.
you ran away last night maybe to go do some google work so ur dream imaginary nairaland girls wont laugh at ur so claim high IQ.

i will be back son!

Ran away last night, huh? Fam, it was 5am down here and I just got back from the club...

If Negro is an offensive word, shouldn't Negroid also be an offensive word? However, Negroid is the term used in describing the black race...

Saying Negro is offensive is like saying "black" is an offensive word... And calling someone "black" back in the day used to termed offensive, hence, why most AAs back then preferred to be called; Negro...
Re: What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 04, 2012
The word NEGRO was used in the 2010 census in America: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-06/news/17944290_1_census-form-census-bureau-older-blacks

Negro league baseball museum: http://www.nlbm.com/

Dictionary Definition
1. A Black person. See Usage Note at black.
2. A member of the Negroid race. Not in scientific use.

It's an outdated word but there's nothing absolutely wrong/offensive about the word!

For example: "Whom" is an outdated word, most modern English speakers use "who" instead... However, that doesn't mean the use of "whom" is wrong...
Re: What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by odumchi: 4:27am On Nov 05, 2012
The simple explanation is that times have changed and so have people's opinions and feelings. The term "negro" is inappropriate today because of the simple fact that it is outdated. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was "nigger", in the 19th and early 20th centuries it was "negro", in the mid twentieth century it was "colored", and today it's "black".
Re: What's Offensive About The Word "Negro?" by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 05, 2012
Its not offensive. Just outdated.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are Ibaji And Oturukpo People Bilingual? / Why Can't You Win Lottery With Juju? / The History Of Ikwerre People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.