Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

What Did You Do To Your Car Today? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Did You Do To Your Car Today? (16947 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / Dodge Charger 2010 Hemi V8 Battery Cable Nearly Burnt Up My Car Today / Can 200k Get Me A Car Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by ekyal(f): 4:48pm On Nov 09, 2012
Siena:

Is the coolant level low?
It is 'in-between'.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 11:25pm On Nov 10, 2012
Sam Milla:

Toyota camrys are toys. Try one german engin, especially the BMWs. You will see the differences.
I used to travel to Lagos with my Mitsubishi Lancer vboot because its a newer car. 2006. Then i tried my BMW e36 one day. Since then, if i want to go anywhere up to 300km, i will take the German machine. The control, the balance, the speed, everything is just amazing.
And it is a manual shaltung.
no need for this here bro
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 11:33pm On Nov 10, 2012
what i did to my car today:

Make: BMW
Model/Yr: E46 323ci (coupe) /2000
Displacement: 2.5l
Transmission/Drivetrain: Manual/FR
Fuel type: Petrol
Topped up my Gear oil, did alignment on the wheels..

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Ikenna351(m): 12:06am On Nov 11, 2012
Make: Peugeot
Model: 505 V6
Model year: 1987
Engine: 2.8 V6 (PRV) 12v
Fuel Type: Petrol
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Drive: RWD

Today, i installed a brand new A/C compressor i purchased last week and recharged the system with R12 gas. The A/C now cools again.

Ikenna.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 5:11am On Nov 12, 2012
Great thread,
Mine M/Benz C180 w202
Fitted Fuel Pump and fuel filter to stop difficulty in starting and engine cutting off while in transit.
Replaced Cracked harness wire to end problem of non starting on time (more than 6turns of ignition and throttle depression for it to start esp cold starts.
RESULTS: CAR REFUSED TO START AT ALL, INSTEAD WAS MISFIRING AND THE 4 PLUGS GOT WET!
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by captalex(m): 12:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ikenna351:

SMH for you. Seriously, i pity you.

What you did to your car was an abuse to the highest level. Who told you the temp guage needle below the middle of the guage is a good thing for the engine?

You just signed a death warrant for that poor engine, with your own hand & money. A double cell brillant one indeed!

Ikenna.

save the pity for yourself ikenna, if your contribution was to intimidate me you just failed.
that's why i always direct my questions to people like siena that are cool headed and not engrossed in their own naivety.

@siena do i go back to the mechanic and tell him to reinstall the thermostat he removed in order to fix this problem?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by captalex(m): 12:42pm On Nov 12, 2012
Sam Milla:

Toyota camrys are toys. Try one german engin, especially the BMWs. You will see the differences.
I used to travel to Lagos with my Mitsubishi Lancer vboot because its a newer car. 2006. Then i tried my BMW e36 one day. Since then, if i want to go anywhere up to 300km, i will take the German machine. The control, the balance, the speed, everything is just amazing.
And it is a manual shaltung.

Sam the fact that you managed to land a 3rd-hand bmw doesn't give you the right to bash my ride,
I chose it and bought it because of the purpose i needed it to serve, which it has effortlessly done.
I used to drive a bmw 7 series that my Dad owned a few years back ,but now no one goes near that car because it could stop at anytime on the road and start flashing the emergency light.So i Know how bmws perform.
Lets see the resale value of your aproko bmw 5 yrs down the line when it packs-up, if people won't be offering you pitty-change.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by ikeyman00(m): 12:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
@@@

save the pity for yourself ikenna, if your contribution was to intimidate me you just failed.
that's why i always direct my questions to people like siena that are cool headed and not engrossed in their own naivety.

@siena do i go back to the mechanic and tell him to reinstall the thermostat he removed in order to fix this problem?

u are not serious

so u gona wait until u hear from Jesus?

some people self
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2012
captalex:

Sam the fact that you managed to land a 3rd-hand bmw doesn't give you the right to bash my ride,
I chose it and bought it because of the purpose i needed it to serve, which it has effortlessly done.
I used to drive a bmw 7 series that my Dad owned a few years back ,but now no one goes near that car because it could stop at anytime on the road and start flashing the emergency light.So i Know how bmws perform.
Lets see the resale value of your aproko bmw 5 yrs down the line when it packs-up, if people won't be offering you pitty-change.
well i do not support people showing contempt for other brands, everyone has a choice and a reason behind their choice. people buy cars for different reasons, brand loyalty is a personal thing. People want performance, fuel economy, aesthetics, etc. Bmw is a different car from toyota, they drive differently, appeal to different markets etc. Merc is not the same as a honda, a honda is built differently from toyota and nissan etc.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 8:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
ikeyman00: @@@

u are not serious

so u gona wait until u hear from Jesus?

some people self
It means certain persons' opinions are trusted, no need to beef the dude...
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by SamMilla1(m): 8:02pm On Nov 12, 2012
captalex:

Hahahaha... I laugh in deutsch.
3rd hand you said. I bought the Beamer myself in Berlin. But since this thread is not about your car vs mine, lets call it quits.
Meanwhile a bmw and camry of the same age, guess what the prizes will be in the market.

Are you saying that toyota camry cant stop you on the road? Serious?
How may bmw's have you seen parked on the road in the last two months?

Your dad's bmw 7s could be 1979 model. So dont compare.

A Bmw power bike can buy your toy.
Though like you said, people buy cars for different reasons.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Ikenna351(m): 8:53pm On Nov 12, 2012
What did I do to my Car today? Hmm! Let see.

I woke up in the morning, prepared for work & then came out to drive off. I then remembered that on my way back from Church yesterday, all the fuel stations i passed before i got home had either no fuel or the queues were terrible. By the time i got home, the fuel guage was indicating about 10 litres left.

So i brought out the car cover and made sure i covered the car well, pending when "THEY" want me to drive the car again. Sad face!

After covering the car, I went back in, drop the car key and quietly carried myself off to work with my Leggedes Benz. What shall a son of man does?! grin

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 12, 2012
captalex: @siena do i go back to the mechanic and tell him to reinstall the thermostat he removed in order to fix this problem?

Yes, reinstallation of the thermostat will be the best. The twin-cell radiator doesn't make the engine run cooler, it simply increases the coolant capacity, and the time the engine takes to warm up. So if you had 4 twin-cell radiators, the warm up time will increase accordingly.

But the maximum temperature will remain the same. It's a similar scenario to two different engines, in the same car - an Audi S8 with 360 bhp, and an Audi A8 with 300. Both will top out at 155 mph, the extra power simply means the S8 will get there quicker.

So yes, see how it goes with the thermostat in place.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ikenna351: What did I do to my Car today? Hmm! Let see.

I woke up in the morning, prepared for work & then came out to drive off. I then remembered that on my way back from Church yesterday, all the fuel stations i passed before i got home had either no fuel or the queues were terrible. By the time i got home, the fuel guage was indicating about 10 litres left.

So i brought out the car cover and made sure i covered the car well, pending when "THEY" want me to drive the car again. Sad face!

After covering the car, I went back in, drop the car key and quietly carried myself off to work with my Leggedes Benz. What shall a son of man does?! Lol!

Ikenna.
lol, i think thats what i'm going to do tomorrow...the 'range' indicator is already blinking in my car meaning the amount of fuel left will cover less than 10km, and my office is approx 8kms away from home. I did nothing to it today, other than got someone to wash it at the office, not for free though.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Trac: 6:17am On Nov 18, 2012
Siena: Tuesday 06th November 2012:

Make: Audi.
Model A4 Quattro Sport.
Model year: 1995.
Engine: 2,6 V6 2 x DOHC 12V.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.
Drive: AWD.

Symptom: None, just underpowered.

I began removing the engine wiring harness. The engine and gearbox are provisionally sold, so will be pulling them out sometime next week. I ordered a new engine hoist online on Sunday, it turned up today.

What crane is this? From the looks, the integrity appeals to me.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2012
Trac: What crane is this? From the looks, the integrity appeals to me.

It's an Automech 2 ton AS-0601B. Really pleased with it. It's not just the rated capacity, but the positioning, which ensures it won't tip forward with a full load. The weight is concentrated just below the boom post.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Trac: 5:17am On Nov 21, 2012
Siena:

It's an Automech 2 ton AS-0601B. Really pleased with it. It's not just the rated capacity, but the positioning, which ensures it won't tip forward with a full load. The weight is concentrated just below the boom post.

Thank you! I have noted the name. I will look for the a supplier around. smiley smiley smiley
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 11:37pm On Dec 06, 2012
Thursday 22,November 2012

Make : Infiniti

Model : Q x 4

Model Year : 2001

Engine : 3.5L V6

Fuel Type : Petrol

Transmission : 4 Speed Automatic

Drive : 4 x 4

Symptoms:At a speed of 100km the steering was shaking really bad & when I step on the brakes the car goes to the left.So I had to go for the wheel balancing & alignment.

The axle oil was checked, the middle and the rear axle was dry. shocked

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 11:45pm On Dec 06, 2012
More.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 11:51pm On Dec 06, 2012
More..

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 12:07am On Dec 07, 2012
Final...

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Fhemmmy: 12:30am On Dec 07, 2012
Osama10: Thursday 22,November 2012

Make : Infiniti

Model : Q x 4

Model Year : 2001

Engine : 3.5L V6

Fuel Type : Petrol

Transmission : 4 Speed Automatic

Drive : 4 x 4

Symptoms:At a speed of 100km the steering was shaking really bad & when I step on the brakes the car goes to the left.So I had to go for the wheel balancing & alignment.

Chairman, this machine is still looking as new, i love dealing with people like you that takes care of their rides . . . Kudos
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 12:42am On Dec 07, 2012
Chief no mind the bad road I entered with so much mud on the road angry I was trying to avoid Port harcourt traffic.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Fhemmmy: 12:49am On Dec 07, 2012
Osama10: Chief no mind the bad road I entered with so much mud on the road angry I was trying to avoid Port harcourt traffic.

I am highly impressed . . . Keeep it up, Bro . . Cos you have taken care of this one, yu have a credit of 10,000 Naira on your next ride, please remember the discount voucher for your next ride . . . . grin
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by 18wheeler: 11:22pm On Dec 08, 2012
Make: honda
Model: accord
Year: 1999
Transmission: 4speed auto
Symptom: brake pedal felt loose when depressed before startin. When driving to the mech place, had to press all the way to feel any impact. 'Brake master cylinder' the culprit. Was 're-kitted'
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Kizyte(m): 1:02am On Dec 09, 2012
How much is the VEHICLE DIAGNOSTIC TOOL sold?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 4:44am On Dec 09, 2012

The middle one is the transfer case.

Use the right gear oil for the differential(rear), and the right fluid for the TC.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 9:41am On Dec 09, 2012
sultaan:

The middle one is the transfer case.

Use the right gear oil for the differential(rear), and the right fluid for the TC.

Copied.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2012
r231: Mercedes C180 Kompressor.
1.8 Engine.
4 Cylinder.
52 Plate.
Auto

Nov 2. Engine maintenance light came on, rushed to the garage and after a check the mechanic decide to change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and clean the Air Mass Meter. He advised that if the light comes on again, i need to change the air mass thingy. After spending all that money over the weekend, the light came back on. Went back to the garage and he said i told you if it comes back on you need to change the Air Mass Meter.

So far i have spend over £600 on this car and its still not right undecided undecided

Less than a month ago, I changed the Ignition Barrel (£375.00) and Starter Motor (£150) undecided undecided including labour

Due for MOT (Expired on 4th of Nov) taking a risk driving it at the moment grin grin

And insurance is about to run out as well....thank God there is Tax till next yr grin grin

Seems your mechanic has you on a threadmill.

You changed your ignition barrel and starter motor only when one of them should be bad. Its either you can't turn your key or your starter not working.

Check engine light came on and started throwing parts at it. Its a 4cyl you could have done it yourself under 2 hrs as a rookie and when you paying for services and you are told to comeback if things don't change; what did you pay for first time? Someone will have a merry xmas grin grin grin
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 2:51pm On Dec 09, 2012
Osama10:

Copied.

@Osmama10

You said you car moves to the side (left) I'm guessing here but I just noticed something on the driver side strut is low on the jack when compared to passenger side(you can see spring on pass side but not on driver side) and your driver side strut is black(covered in oil) which means your strut is busted so your truck is leaning left on its spring. Look at the pics of my jeep shock seen how the one on left stays compressed, no bounce so you are riding on springs.

I hope your mechs saw that and recommended you changed both front struts(its more expensive than ordinary shocks)

Watch video(for those who do not understand the concept and how they work)

http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoZone?v=czXQpcRNZVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaevAxA8Gc

Eric the Car guy has a lot of videos on car maintenance and how to. You might just need to buy a loaded unit(both new strut and spring ready to install)

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Osama10(m): 3:34pm On Dec 09, 2012
Yeah seems you are correct because when I got to Warri from Ph I was hearing some noise behind.

Although I have given the ride away but I heard they changed the shocks but not too sure of the struts.

I would check it when I get to Warri next, so much to learn from you guys.I feel am over stressing this car cos have drove to Warri and back to Ph 16times this year with that car, once to lagos in September and those roads are very very bad man.

Thanks Sultaan. cool
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sawyerrola(m): 2:20pm On Dec 10, 2012
been doing some kind of vehicle reshaping since i got my suv. but today, i think i had a perfect reshape so i decided to share. i gave my SUV lovely angel eyes. took delivery of my Angel eyes last week so i decided to give it a shot. it required taking my stock headlight assembly apart. for the DIY people, this was really fun doing especially when you see the final result. procedure not so easy but worth the effort.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make / Nigerian Women Are Bad Drivers!!! / Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.