Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1237121 members, 1647123 topics. Date: Monday, 21 April 2014 at 08:34 AM

What Did You Do To Your Car Today? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Did You Do To Your Car Today? (6755 Views)

Recommended Transmission Oil For Your Car. / What To Do If Your Car Is Stuck In Mud / Can 200k Get Me A Car Today? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 1:35am On Dec 11, 2012
Now all you need is a 5000k HID for your projector.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by timbros(m): 10:18am On Dec 11, 2012
@Siena, I sent you an email yesterday. Dont know if you recieved it. Waiting for your reply soon.

Sorry for derailing the thread lil bit.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by shiftbutton: 9:11pm On Dec 11, 2012
What did I do??
Toyota Corolla:

Got up at about 5:30 to clean up the car, by the time i was rounding up, the day was getting brighter and noticed the front tyre was going down, but trust me, using my portable tyre pump I simply plug it into the cigarette lighter and pumped my tyre to the required pressure (40Psi).

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Siena(m): 9:19pm On Dec 11, 2012
shiftbutton: What did I do??
Toyota Corolla:

Got up at about 5:30 to clean up the car, by the time i was rounding up, the day was getting brighter and noticed the front tyre was going down, but trust me, using my portable tyre pump I simply plug it into the cigarette lighter and pumped my tyre to the required pressure (40Psi).

Sorry bud, but 40 psi is NOT the required tyre pressure for a Toyota Corolla. Even if fully laden, 40 psi is not the correct pressure.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by shiftbutton: 9:35pm On Dec 11, 2012
Siena:

Sorry bud, but 40 psi is NOT the required tyre pressure for a Toyota Corolla. Even if fully laden, 40 psi is not the correct pressure.

Boss, are u serious?
What should it be. That seems to be a standard here in Naija, what should it be then?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by shiftbutton: 10:01pm On Dec 11, 2012
Siena:

Boss, you seem to be right, I just google it and it says that it should be between 32-35 psi and is usually written at the door of the car.

I jst went to dig out the manual, it says

"Cold tire inflation pressure, kpa (kgf/cm2 or bar, psi):
For driving at speeds of 160km/h (100 mph) or over 250 (2.5, 3.6)
For driving at speeds under 160km/h (100mph) 210 ( 2.1, 30)"

This is a very rude shock and a total deviation from what I had considered the norm, this is actually suggesting that the tyre pressure should b 30psi. Hmmmm the tyres will look low o.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Siena(m): 10:45pm On Dec 11, 2012
^^^ Tyres are meant to have some "give" in the sidewalls,hence they look slightly depressed. If they're completely solid, with no depression where the tread meets the ground, they're over inflated.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Dinvestanl: 7:47pm On Dec 12, 2012
shiftbutton: What did I do??
Toyota Corolla:

@shiftbutton; pls where did u get the portable tyre pump from and hw much did it cost. Need one as soon as possible. Thanks
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by shiftbutton: 6:02am On Dec 13, 2012
Dinvestanl:
@shiftbutton; pls where did u get the portable tyre pump from and hw much did it cost. Need one as soon as possible. Thanks

Not to derail this thread, you can click http://www.nairaland.com/1111012/portable-tyre-pumping-machine-brought

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by codedname: 8:16am On Dec 15, 2012
Make - Honda
Model -2007 Accord Ex-L.

I bought this car (tokunbo) with the check engine light on. I did a scan and was told that it was oxygen sensor malfunctioning. I bought a new one and when mech wanted to fix it, he discovered that the catalytic converter had been tampered with ( cut to remove the catalyst and cleverly welded back). So d issue was not even the sensor. Question is this. Do I have to replace the catalytic converter? Does not having a catalytic converter increase fuel consumption? From my understanding it is only there to reduce some emmission gases.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by 18wheeler: 11:30pm On Dec 27, 2012
Make: honda
Model: 99accord ex
gear box gives a clunk when shifting from 1-2 & reverse, worn shafts, leaking power steering oil.
Repairs: gear oil flushed & changed, shafts replaced, a broken seal on power steering pump replaced. All working well now.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by captalex: 11:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
Make: Toyota Camry aka Tiny Light
Model:1999

I installed a set of pioneer boost speakers in my car.
i forgot to take pictures while they were being fitted, just wanted to see how they were installed and that they were churning out enough bass!
Now i can keep myself smiling in stop and go traffic.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by MMotimo: 3:43am On Dec 30, 2012
Washed and waxed
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Ace Ventura(m): 12:02am On Jan 06, 2013
Honda Pilot EXL
3.5 Engine
V6
Auto

Changed all her tyres to brand new.Did the alignment & wheel balancing & prayed to Almighty God to tell me why she consumes so much fuel since I bought her. embarassed embarassed

Someone please help me cos I'm @ the point of selling such a good car.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 9:39am On Jan 06, 2013
Ace Ventura: Honda Pilot EXL
3.5 Engine
V6
Auto

Changed all her tyres to brand new.Did the alignment & wheel balancing & prayed to Almighty God to tell me why she consumes so much fuel since I bought her. embarassed embarassed

hmm, what's the consumption, in Numerical, from your calculation or from what the computer displays. No one can really communicate properly to you on this, with the way you have presented it.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Find Out!(m): 10:52am On Jan 06, 2013
3.5 Engine
V6
Auto

Were you driving a Corolla or Civic before buying the Pilot? Lol. I've heard lots of peeps complaining about the poor fuel economy of that ride (one of the reasons why naija-used ones are sold cheaply) yet some people will scream honda is 'fuel efficient' without considering engine size. Its a 3.5 V6 engine, 4WD auto trans ride. Sir, you will spend on fuel.lol.

Reminds me of a neighbour who's been driving a Honda Accord (babyboy) V6 for almost a decade. Early last year, he bought a Highlander V6 which he still drives. In between both cars, he had used diff cars most of which are V6 engine powered. Last month, he bought a Corolla 2005. Few days after he began driving the corolla, he went to see his mechanic to express his suspicions about his fuel gauge not working, so would the mechanic check it out for him? What was his reason? He filled his tank & had been driving the car for about 3 days & the fuel gauge had moved just a tiny little bit. Of course, the gauge was perfectly fine. He just couldnt believe a car could have such low comsuption figures having gotten used to fueling his v6 vehicles for so long.

So you'll get used to it. God will provide.lol. Howver, as said above, compare your consumption figures with manufacturer's figures to know if it is actually consuming higher than it should.

3 Likes

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Find Out!(m): 11:04am On Jan 06, 2013
3.5 Engine
V6
Auto

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 6:33am On Jan 13, 2013
Car: BMW
Model/year: e36 320i/1993
Transmission: 5 Speed Auto
Drivetrain: FR
Engine: 2.0 Inline 6, DOHC

Topped my gear oil, using ABRO...

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by tope24: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
pak: Well, I've been having this blinking D drive indicator - So I pulled out my diagnostic gadget and this error about 3rd pressure switch malfunction came up.

Took it to the mech guys late on Saturday and while he was still trying to fiddle, I told him I suspect that the 2nd or 3rd pressure might be malfunctioning since the gear was still shifting properly grin.

The guy whipped out his diagnostic tool, did a scan and also came up with the 3rd pressure switch issue. Boy, He must have been dazzled grin grin grin. he looked at me incredulously, thinking who's this car whiz coming to my shed for repairs. Anyway, to cut long story short. The guy must have been so impressed/struck that he told me the real price of the pressure switch.

Am on my way to have it fixed (couldn't do that on sat). I'll keep the house posted

pls i need a good honda mechanic. i drive a 98 accord and my gear delays in shifting to the next. i just changed the ATF and it started giving that problem.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by tope24: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2013
18wheeler: Make: honda
gear box gives a clunk when shifting from 1-2 & reverse, worn shafts, leaking power steering oil.
Repairs: gear oil flushed & changed, shafts replaced, a broken seal on power steering pump replaced. All working well now.

same with my 98 accord, mechanic collected 18k from me and after 2 months the same problem starts. when the engine is hot and i want to reverse, the car simply when i change to reverse. its as if a car hit me from behind. also when i i apply brakes, it simply jerkes too. help me out bro. am loosing it
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by 18wheeler: 8:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
@tope24
get a good mechanic to run a scan, check and work on the transmission system; both mechanical & electrical parts. Else, you'll need a new gear box. What I dread.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by 18wheeler: 8:41pm On Jan 17, 2013
Make: honda
Transmission: auto
Engine: 4 cylinder
Heard a squeal from the bonnet when I started it in the morning. Suspected one of the belts & went for a check. The power steering belt was cracked and slacked. Had both changed.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sholarb(m): 12:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
12-01-2013

Make: Honda
Model: Civic
Model year: 2007
Engine: 1.8 ivtec
Fuel type: PMS
Transmission: 5-speed Manual
Drive: FWD

1. Changed all four expired tyres to brand new continental tyres. Did alignment and wheel balancing same day.

2. Checked front and rear shocks for defects but all were physically intact, in fact was told the shocks and other components are okay. Thinking of carrying out diagnosis on the shocks as a result of much noise when going over rough surface esp. at low speed. Please, has any one experienced such before and what was fixed?

1 Like

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by xerotop(m): 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
car ; bmw e 46
model ; 328i
year ; 2001

car jerked all through saturday when downshifting. also jerked terribly when ever i slow down and gear reduces from 4 to 3 to 2.
i read on e46 fanatics yesterday about the problem and someone suggested a software upgrade.
another person suggested a battery reset.
this morning i just removed my battery head, waited for 5 mins and fixed it back.
all day long, no signs of jerks, cars moves smoothly as expected.

note;

battery reset is only a temporary solution. grin
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by car-doctor: 12:56am On Jan 22, 2013
I had the injector nozzles replaced on my W124 230E Merecedes as well as a new fuel pump and fuel filter and the car now flies like a rocket and drives like a dream. Cant be happier with this old lady. grin grin grin
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by skyfall: 6:48pm On Feb 02, 2013
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
3.5l V6
Auto
Part-time 4WD

Changed AC compressor last wk. AC working fine but belt squeals when I accelerate while AC is ON. Technician realised that the AC comp belt was a bit loose. He adjusted it and it's fine now.

Went to Dunlop tire shop to check my front driver side tire which loses pressure from time to time. No leaks discovered after a thorough check & I was asked to go use it again. Valve changed though. All 4 tyres' pressure adjusted to 30psi as recommended in car manual.

@Siena, question.
When my car was imported from US, it came with P255/65R16 106S at the front and P255/70R16 109S at the back. The recommended tyre for all 4 wheels in the manual is the 106S. Is this arrangement still within allowed variation?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Siena(m): 10:32am On Feb 06, 2013
skyfall: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
3.5l V6
Auto
Part-time 4WD

@Siena, question.
When my car was imported from US, it came with P255/65R16 106S at the front and P255/70R16 109S at the back. The recommended tyre for all 4 wheels in the manual is the 106S. Is this arrangement still within allowed variation?

The 106 / 109S is the speed rating.

However, your automobile is AWD, albeit part-time. With AWD vehicles, it's important ALL driven wheels are the same diameter. When you run different size wheels, the smaller ones will rotate at a faster rate than the larger ones, for the same distance travelled. This will cause excessive tyre wear due to tyre scrub (and of course, increased fuel consumption). The centre differential will also work excessively, trying to keep all wheels turning at the same rate, this will cause the differential to overheat, and you risk blowing the transfer box.

You need to have ALL your tyres the same size, the difference is too great.

225/65x16 = 699mm.
225/70x16 = 721mm.

Difference = 22mm (3,15%).
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 7:57pm On Feb 06, 2013
greetings to you Mr. Siena, kindly visit 'bmw owners' forum' to hear my little voice, your views are highly appreciated sir.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by skyfall: 9:06pm On Feb 08, 2013
Siena:

The 106 / 109S is the speed rating.

However, your automobile is AWD, albeit part-time. With AWD vehicles, it's important ALL driven wheels are the same diameter. When you run different size wheels, the smaller ones will rotate at a faster rate than the larger ones, for the same distance travelled. This will cause excessive tyre wear due to tyre scrub (and of course, increased fuel consumption). The centre differential will also work excessively, trying to keep all wheels turning at the same rate, this will cause the differential to overheat, and you risk blowing the transfer box.

You need to have ALL your tyres the same size, the difference is too great.

225/65x16 = 699mm.
225/70x16 = 721mm.

Difference = 22mm (3,15%).

Thanks for the explanation. But what about sport cars like the MB SLS AMG which have different-sized front & rear wheels? How do they pull this off?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by emergency2: 6:33pm On Feb 11, 2013
Currently using mazda 626 1998 american spec.
Noticed it to be rev up to about 3000rev/min immediately after start up. The rev will den come down slowly until it get to 1000.
Finally discovered dat its a problem with the injector head and I am plannin to go to ladipo with my mecho 2mao.
I really hope its the problem

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pedal Lock: How Safe Is My Car / My Dashboard Displays "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" / Changing From Right Hand Drive To Left Hand Drive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.