Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery (14781 Views)

Robbers Who Attack Hotels In Lagos Arrested (photo) / Robber Misses Way After Operation In Lagos, Arrested (pictured) / Mob Kill A Policeman In Gombe For Allegedly Killing A Man (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Turbocharged: 6:23am On Nov 05, 2012
The tale of how of a new generation bank at Akowonjo, Lagos, was robbed last year won’t be complete without the mention of Eboma Onyeka, a Police Sergeant who was at the timeof the incident attached to the Mobile Police Unit 20, at Ikeja.
Onyeka had allegedly conspired with four others, including an employee of the said bankand robbed the bank he was to secure of about N10m in April 2011. A security guard attached to the bank, Sunday Ogundipe, was strangled in the process.
Two months after, Onyeka was arrested, tried and dismissed from the force before he was arraigned with his accomplices on armed robbery and murder charges in July 2011.
However, Onyeka is once again a guest of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Lagos, months after securing his bail. He is said to have been involved in a series of bank ATM robberies since his bail from Kirikiri Prisons in December 2011.
But Onyeka strenuously denied his involvement in any bank robbery attacks and he was quick to give a recap of his activities since his bail from prison.
“After I got my bail, I left Lagos for my village in Delta State. I stayed there for about two, three months because I was ill and needed to recover. When I was fully recovered, l went to Benin City and met a friend whom I pleaded with for assistance. My friend gave me an Audicar to use as a taxi, so I could earn a living. I also underwent a 10-week course in producinginsecticides and fruit juices.
“Upon the completion of my course, I returned to Lagos because I needed to start a business of my own. Since there was no place for me to go, I called a friend of mine who is a serving police inspector and he asked me to see him. My wife had returned to her family with my children after I got into prison, so I had no home in Lagos. All this happened in August 2012. It was the very day that I arrived Lagos that I was arrested by SARS operatives. I still had my toiletries on me,” Onyeka said.
However, the Lagos State Police Commissioner, Mr. Umar Manko, disclosed thatOnyeka was arrested after the spate of bank ATM robberies in Lagos metropolis went up.
He said, “In the months following Onyeka’s bail from prison custody, we started getting reports of bank ATM robberies nearly every weekend. Prior to his arrest last year, there were only two gangs responsible for bank ATM robberies in Lagos: Onyeka’s and another gang. As at the time he went to prison custody, the ATM robberies had reduced to thebarest minimum.
“So when reports of ATM robberies began to come in, we decided to check with the prison to confirm if Onyeka was still in their custody but he wasn’t. We began investigations and we were able to obtain his number. Through his phone number, we were able to track his movements until he got to Lagos and thereafter we rearrested him. His gang was responsible for the recent robbery of a new generation bank where a police corporal lost his life.
“At the time of his arrest, Onyeka had in his possession a fake identity card which portrayed him as a serving member of the Mobile Police Force. When SARS operatives stormed the hotel where he was meeting with a friend, Onyeka had flashed his card to the team, not knowing that he was the target of the raid.”
Findings indicated that Onyeka was granted bail at an Igbosere High Court 14 in December 2011 through a motion on bail application notice. His lawyer, who identified himself as T.J. Ajapuno, said, “In law, everyone is considered innocent until proven otherwise. Onyeka’s wife came to see me, requesting my services so that her husband could get bail and due process was followed. If Onyeka went ahead to start robbing again after his bail was granted, that is his own cup of tea. His wife and his pastor had stood for him as sureties.
“We served the police and the State Criminal Investigative Department at Panti got a copy of the bail application. The Directorate for Public Prosecution got a copy too. I wasn’t even aware that the DPP’s advice was out; I don’t have the facts of the case and the DPP doesn’t even have Onyeka’s file. It is not as if the case is over, the substantive matter is before Justice Okunnu at the Ikeja High Court.”
Since his bail, Onyeka had had no further court appearance. “Although I was in touch with my lawyer and one of his subordinates, they told me that they would contact me if anything came up,” he said.
Before his arrest in July 2011, Onyeka had justcompleted a training course for inspectors andwas awaiting promotion to same rank. Published reports said Onyeka was arrested in his private Hummer Jeep on his way to keeping an appointment with other members of his gang around 1.30 am on July 26, 2011.
Onyeka allegedly had in possession, an AK 47 rifle and a big bag containing a face mask and other suspicious items. Before his dismissal last year, the 41-year-old had served the Nigeria Police Force for 19 years.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/11/04/policeman-lagos-owns-hummer-jeep-arrested-robbery/?wt=3
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by emmanuelogbe(m): 6:30am On Nov 05, 2012
Source please.
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by honeric01(m): 6:34am On Nov 05, 2012
Which banks were robbed in Akowonjo last year o? abeg make i hear o angry
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Turbocharged: 7:59am On Nov 05, 2012
emmanuelogbe: Source please.
Dailypost Nigeria
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 05, 2012
Una no see better criminals to arrest... Criminals with hard evidence pointing to their activities! mtcheeew angry angry
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by omenziate(m): 9:47am On Nov 05, 2012
Very sharp Police.
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 05, 2012
Abeg! HAMMER them ROBBERY with Hummer jeep! cool
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by dridowu: 9:52am On Nov 05, 2012
Multiple Twenty naira turn into HUMMER JEEP
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by eduson55(m): 9:53am On Nov 05, 2012
singing
***Nigeria Jaga jaga grin
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 05, 2012
Ihe Neme! This policeman is a rare specie...thank God nemesis caught up with him
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by mascot87(m): 9:55am On Nov 05, 2012
Only if man can realise that life is temporamal and evaporative

1 Like

Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by elcatino: 9:58am On Nov 05, 2012
Pls I nid a picture of the hummer jeep
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 05, 2012
one bad apple @ super story

1 Like

Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by ssainty(m): 10:00am On Nov 05, 2012
make una dey talk true o.Nig police have never made d pple trust them before.
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by megareal: 10:05am On Nov 05, 2012
So who do we believe? The police that arrested him based on suspicion due to his antecedents or the man who claims he was just coming into town after a long while? BTW aren't people on bail supposed to restrict their movement to their immediate locality until sentence is passed? From what I understand, this man has not even been sentenced for his first crime. Why then was he even released on bail?

2 Likes

Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by reactionpapa: 10:15am On Nov 05, 2012
If u're not a criminal....U can't caught a criminal.....98.9% of Nigerian police are criminals/Robbers........
MAY GOD HELP NIJA!
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by boyprodigy(m): 10:18am On Nov 05, 2012
Police wey get hummer, shoo, how im take hammer? Except say in be robber.

1 Like

Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Sleek05(f): 10:20am On Nov 05, 2012
People will now start complaining about jungle justice. Why won't there be? D stupid policeman was granted bail 3mnths after his robbery and MANSLAUGHTER. Whatever happened 2 'whoever kills by d sword must die by the sword' or sumthn similar? Dats really unfair. Is it because d security guard isn't influential or does not have highly placed people? He def would have felt since he got away with d first crime which included manslaughter, he could as well get away with dis. Dats why people choose 2 take laws into their hands, dey don't trust d judicial system anymore. We v been let down so many times!
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by 1shortblackboy: 10:23am On Nov 05, 2012
Na police man all of dem na robbers sef
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by freecocoa(f): 10:33am On Nov 05, 2012
As far as na policeman then him hand no clean, period. undecided
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 05, 2012
megareal: So who do we believe? The police that arrested him based on suspicion due to his antecedents or the man who claims he was just coming into town after a long while? BTW aren't people on bail supposed to restrict their movement to their immediate locality until sentence is passed? From what I understand, this man has not even been sentenced for his first crime. Why then was he even released on bail?

man know man
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by dejiswaggs(m): 10:42am On Nov 05, 2012
Naija I hail Thee!
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Born2beRich1(m): 10:42am On Nov 05, 2012
Police replies: For were man dey work, na there im dey chop thats why they call am WORKSHOP.... lipsrsealed
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by begwong: 10:48am On Nov 05, 2012
sarge,you own a hummer at d rank of sergent ,wetin you go come own if u become CP.
Private jet abi na apache Helicopter to take your robbery expertise to the next level
Re: Policeman In Lagos Arrested For Robbery by Azuist(m): 10:49am On Nov 05, 2012
"Published reports said Onyeka was arrested in his private Hummer Jeep on his way to keeping an appointment with other members of his gang around 1.30 am on July 26, 2011."
didn't get my attention, privet jet is whats invoke at the moment, thinking of how they would have arrested them in that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Group Seeks Help To Locate Family Of 8-Year-Old Child Trafficked To Cross River / Libyan Rebels Are Violating Nigerian Women / Hotel Employee Steals Laptops 24 Hours After Employment (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.