Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves (12135 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Too Hard To Believe Marriage Break Up Stories / Do You Believe In Karma? Share the Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by simdam500(m): 10:23am On Nov 05, 2012
Kids are as soft and fragile as flowers. Only with proper care and love, they can blossom into confident human beings. It’s very important to help your kids to believe in themselves so as to lay foundation of a successful and happy life for them.

Here are 7 simple ways to do it:

1. Believe in them:
Your kids will believe in themselves if you first believe in them. For young kids, parents are the role models. They do as the adults do. If you believe in them, they’ll believe in themselves. So set a good example!

2. Encourage them always:
Let them try their weird ideas, let them explore their world. Encourage them to believe in their own ideas and to try things. Do not discourage their creativity and ideas even if you feel they are ‘unimportant’, ‘insignificant’ or ‘stupid’. Encourage, encourage, encourage… always!

3. Take out time for them:
The best gift that you can give your children is your time. If you take out time for them, they’ll feel they are important. When they realize their self-importance, they’ll believe in their self-worth.

4. Don’t label them:
Don’t label them with tags like ‘stupid’, ‘worthless’, ‘idiot’ and the likes. Kids take these things to heart. If you call your kid stupid 5 times, he’ll start believing himself to be stupid. So choose your words carefully,they can make or mar your child’s personality.

5. Appreciate generously:
If their efforts bear fruits, if they achieve even a little bit of success – just praise them. Be very generous with your appreciation. Even if the outcome is not successful by your standards, praise the fact that they put in efforts to do the work. Let them know that it mattered to you.

6. Make them dream:
There’s this famous quotation by a wise person, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams”. Give your child a dream and then make him believe that you think that he can achieve it. Tell it to him again and again. Before you know it, your child will believe in his potential to achieve that dream!

7. Give your unconditional love and support:
Self-belief can come when your child has you to fall back upon. Let him know that he has your unconditional love and support, always. No matter what happens, you’ll always believe in him. No matter how many times he fails, you’ll always believe in him to succeed at the end!
Words can work wonders, especially in case of kids. Always use loving and encouraging words to make your child believe in himself!

http://www.magforwomen.com/7-ways-to-teach-kids-to-believe-in-themselves/

11 Likes

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
Yeah 4&5 is very crucial in any kids life... don't call them names and say thank you for every little effort they make to please you. It doesn't mean they're getting spoilt .... it boosts their self worth

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by anintia(m): 4:46pm On Nov 05, 2012
How many parents will allow their children play sports, instead you will hear go inside and sleep

3 Likes

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Gee001: 4:49pm On Nov 05, 2012
9ce tips though. Dnt hv kids yet cos i'm nt married bt dis will surely be handy wen d time comes.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Okijajuju1(m): 4:53pm On Nov 05, 2012
simdam500: Kids are as soft and fragile as flowers. Only with proper care and love, they can blossom into confident human beings. It’s very important to help your kids to believe in themselves so as to lay foundation of a successful and happy life for them.

1. Believe in them:
Your kids will believe in themselves if you first believe in them. For young kids, parents are the role models. They do as the adults do. If you believe in them, they’ll believe in themselves. So set a good example!

Let them try their weird ideas, let them explore their world. Encourage them to believe in their own ideas and to try things. Do not discourage their creativity and ideas even if you feel they are ‘unimportant’, ‘insignificant’ or ‘stupid’. Encourage, encourage, encourage… always!

The best gift that you can give your children is your time. If you take out time for them, they’ll feel they are important. When they realize their self-importance, they’ll believe in their self-worth.

4. Don’t label them:
Don’t label them with tags like ‘stupid’, ‘worthless’, ‘idiot’ and the likes. Kids take these things to heart. If you call your kid stupid 5 times, he’ll start believing himself to be stupid. So choose your words carefully,they can make or mar your child’s personality.

If their efforts bear fruits, if they achieve even a little bit of success – just praise them. Be very generous with your appreciation. Even if the outcome is not successful by your standards, praise the fact that they put in efforts to do the work. Let them know that it mattered to you.

6. Make them dream:
There’s this famous quotation by a wise person, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams”. Give your child a dream and then make him believe that you think that he can achieve it. Tell it to him again and again. Before you know it, your child will believe in his potential to achieve that dream!

Self-belief can come when your child has you to fall back upon. Let him know that he has your unconditional love and support, always. No matter what happens, you’ll always believe in him. No matter how many times he fails, you’ll always believe in him to succeed at the end!
Words can work wonders, especially in case of kids. Always use loving and encouraging words to make your child believe in himself!

8. Tell Them that God cant help them.. Only they can help themselves.. Most Kids are raised to believe so much in God that it stifles their abilities..

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 4:55pm On Nov 05, 2012
nice one @ poster but how many parents can come out and prove that they do all these lipsrsealed most especially 1,4&3. many parents don't have time for their children, they are after their careers, businesses and money. some don't even believe in their children' dreams. for example if a child wants to become a singer of course the parents wont support it hereby discouraging his/her dream. all they want is my son/daughter to become a lawyer, banker etc it is good, but is it what the child want? no. i hate it when i see a mother calling her own child names!! it is better to flog them with a rod than to call/throw insults or even swear which is very bad.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by africanrapper: 5:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
Honestly, I wish I enjoyed these things from my Parents. Rather, I was forced to reason and behave in a certain way (certainly against my will).
Anyway, my solemn promise to myself is that my kids will get all the attention and support that they deserve from me.

#utchay#

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 05, 2012
anintia: How many parents will allow their children play sports, instead you will hear go inside and sleep

What'd you mean?
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 05, 2012
africanrapper: Honestly, I wish I enjoyed these things from my Parents. Rather, I was forced to reason and behave in a certain way (certainly against my will).
Anyway, my solemn promise to myself is that my kids will get all the attention and support that they deserve from me.

#utchay#

And how'd you turn out if I may ask?
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Philolos: 5:07pm On Nov 05, 2012
Label them, but exchange negative ones with positive ones: you are great, you are improving, you are talented, etc.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by africanrapper: 5:07pm On Nov 05, 2012
jidegirl12:

And how'd you turn out if I may ask?

It has not been an easy ride trying to unlearn the things I was forced to learn. Turning 30 soon. In fact, this is my biggest challenge today, but I hope to come out strong someday.

#utchay#
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by damola1: 5:07pm On Nov 05, 2012
Parenting is a learning curve. And if you are willing to learn, am sure you'll do just fine. And in most cases, no one can love your kid more than you can... just keep trying and improving.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 05, 2012
~vicky~:
nice one @ poster but how many parents can come out and prove that they do all these lipsrsealed most especially 1,4&3. many parents don't have time for their children, they are after their careers, businesses and money. some don't even believe in their children' dreams. for example if a child wants to become a singer of course the parents wont support it hereby discouraging his/her dream. all they want is my son/daughter to become a lawyer, banker etc it is good, but is it what the child want? no. i hate it when i see a mother calling her own child names!! it is better to flog them with a rod than to call/throw insults or even swear which is very bad.

Yeah it's very tough especially the time and that's why we need to create days for these kids....after all everything we are doing is for them and their future...I detest that insult/ name calling .... I was having a convo with my hubby this morning about play dates for our girls ....we always nitpick families to pick for play dates cos if the way they behave....sorry esp Naija families.... I dont think they realize that and they say I'm always associating myself with white people... Helloooo ?

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Knight1(m): 5:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
8. APOLOGISE TO.THEM WHEN YOU ARE WRONG!!! not take them to nearest supermarket and buying Ice cream

3 Likes

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 05, 2012
* Be a good example to them
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 05, 2012
If they do steal,don't scold them,that might be their calling in life,don't discourage them.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by futurehome: 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2012
WHO TOLD YOU GOD CAN'T HELP THEM. WE CAN ONLY WISH BUT ITS GOD THAT CAN GRANT.
My advice is that train a child the way they should go (God fearing and putting their FAITH in HIM) Not their inexperienced selves or their friends.

[quote author=Okija_juju][/quote]
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by BahPulo(f): 5:35pm On Nov 05, 2012
nice tips. I'll add to these don't underestimate them have conversation with them you will be suprise how much both you and your child will learn from each other. I have gotten great ideas such as toys time, chores sharing... from my six year old. sometimes they teach you a lot without you even realising it

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Audinowing(m): 5:41pm On Nov 05, 2012
simdam500: Kids are as soft and fragile as flowers. Only with proper care and love, they can blossom into confident human beings. It’s very important to help your kids to believe in themselves so as to lay foundation of a successful and happy life for them.

1. Believe in them:

4. Don’t label them:

6. Make them dream:

Nice 1. This is one of the few reasons y am a NLder.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Audinowing(m): 5:43pm On Nov 05, 2012

1. Believe in them:

4. Don’t label them:

6. Make them dream:

Nice 1. This is one of the few reasons y am a NLder.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by aduje(m): 5:43pm On Nov 05, 2012
Thanks for this tips...helpful to me as a young dad. I have two boys (7 and 5yrs respectively) can be naughty at times but i love their company.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by smartmom(f): 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2012
I particularly feel point 3 especially today as I read up just today one very touching and thought provoking write up. It brought me to tears:
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html

They grow so fast and we have but limited time to impact and mold them.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
For me, I'd say give them tasks, to handle alone,
And then, give them much more challenging tasks, and make them think.
Aslo, don't 4get to teach them to accept responsibility for their mistakes.... No matter the consequence, by that, u'll be raising leaders!
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Audinowing(m): 5:55pm On Nov 05, 2012

1. Believe in them:

4. Don’t label them:

6. Make them dream:

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Aaronrod: 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
You have said it all.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by 6ft: 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
one nice topic ...informative and brilliant #nl is nt full of cr@p afterall...
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Iaz93: 6:08pm On Nov 05, 2012
Nice thread. . . .learning something
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by miketonic(m): 6:09pm On Nov 05, 2012
RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH... how i manage my kids is to FLOGG them well well...and rub peper on their anus.. there was this time my daughter misbehave, i banned her for using tampon rather, she must use plantin leaf.
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by sugar001(f): 6:13pm On Nov 05, 2012
Yomieluv: If they do steal,don't scold them,that might be their calling in life,don't discourage them.
You don dey mad!
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Iaz93: 6:13pm On Nov 05, 2012
miketonic: RUBBISH RUBBISH RUBBISH... how i manage my kids is to FLOGG them well well...and rub peper on their anus.. there was this time my daughter misbehave, i banned her for using tampon rather, she must use plantin leaf.
are you okay?? Did you eat before takin' your drugs or did you just take them without eating??

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2012
6 ft':
one nice topic ...informative and brilliant #nl is nt full of cr@p afterall...

Uh uh ..... Just pick your topic wisely wink
Re: Ways To Teach Kids To Believe In Themselves by miketonic(m): 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2012
Iaz93:
are you okay?? Did you eat before takin' your drugs or did you just take them without eating??

wenting be your problem? jealousy will kill you ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Caught My Wife With My Landlord In Bed!! Pictures / End of Part 1 / What Age Is The Right Age To Have A Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.