Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob (4380 Views)

Check Out The Chinese Version Of Range Rover, So Cute! (Photos) / Car Remote Key Complains / How much does a Key fob cost? Pls help. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob by nissparts(m): 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
There are times when you are approaching your car from a distance and may need to unlock the doors for someone already by the car or for whatever reason. You point the remote fob and click, but nothing happens cos you are out of range. Here is a simple trick to amplify your remote's range.
Place the remote beneath your chin OR on your temple and click unlock. 9/10 times, it will work.

I am also aware that some vehicle owners are not aware of some few tricks they can do with their remotes.

E.g Not all EOD owners know they can roll their windows down by clicking unlock and leaving their thumb on it.
This also applies on vehicles like the Altima 07-13; G35 03-07; and others.

Happy motoring.
Re: How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 05, 2012
Yes, the human head acts as an external aerial.

One thing though - the range is kept deliberately low for a number of reasons, interferance with existing radio signals, but primarily for security. Sometimes it's best to unlock your car when you're within sprinting range. Unlocking your car from a distance (especially if it's partly obscured by other cars) may not be a good idea. It's very possible for a car jacker to get into your car from the blind side (rear) who could then attack you when you pull away, throw you out and take your car.

Some modern cars have deadlocks - whereby the first press of the unlock button will only unlock the driver's door. A second press will unlock the rest of the doors. I don't unlock my cars from a distance, especially if I can't see all the doors from my vantage point. Remote central locking is undoubtedly convenient, but if not treated with respect, can have drawbacks, some serious.

The option you've mentioned is called "Total Closure", and is on quite a few modern cars. Holding down the lock button on the fob will lock the doors, wind up the windows, and also close the electric sunroof (where fitted). Same applies to holding the key in the lock position in the driver's door. Some models will also unlock and wind down the windows, if the unlock button is held down.

Some cars have Total Closure disabled by default, and require diagnostic equipment to change the "preferences" in the Convenience Module, to enable TC.
Re: How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob by mikkybrick: 8:57am On Nov 06, 2012
@nissparts, remote window rolling works in Altima 05 too.

1 Like

Re: How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob by banky3w(m): 1:16pm On Jul 02, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]@ siena and nissparts, does this work for 98 camry v6 too?
Re: How To Increase The Range Of Your Remote Key Fob by nissparts(m): 1:59pm On Jul 02, 2013
Not likely

(1) (Reply)

LEXUS RX300, 2002 MODEL Gearbox And Brain Box Issues / Toyota Camry Muscle 2011 Model / BRAKE FLUID REPLACEMENT may be RECOMMENDED PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE for you!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.